Triad Owner's Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 6379 Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey guys.

Thinking about going the Triad inwall route with an AT screen. Considering Gold/6 LCR or Gold/6 Monitor w/ 3 subs up front. Any thoughts?

Room is about 12.5x22. I usually listen at about reference levels. My listening preference is stomach punching midrange/midbass impact as well as clean LFE

Or possibly inwall plats? here?

Any feedback is appreciated.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
adidino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Hey guys.

Thinking about going the Triad inwall route with an AT screen. Considering Gold/6 LCR or Gold/6 Monitor w/ 3 subs up front. Any thoughts?

Room is about 12.5x22. I usually listen at about reference levels. My listening preference is stomach punching midrange/midbass impact as well as clean LFE

Or possibly inwall plats? here?

Any feedback is appreciated.

All three Triad fronts that you mention have the capability of slamming in a 12.5' x 22' room. The BaffleWall version of the Platinum LCR simply won't fit, though. It's not an InWall; it's built into a baffle. The BaffleWall version of the Platinum LCR is around 9" deep, and it could be fashioned into a false wall, though.

The Gold LCR uses two aluminum-cone Seas 8" midbass drivers, so midbass is very punchy with good headroom. The Gold Monitor uses two 7" Scan-Speak mids, so it, too, can deliver midbass impact. And the Gold Monitor has that sick Revelator tweeter. All three speakers have sensitivity above 92 dB.

I'd be interested in opinions of owners of any of these speakers, though. I've had all three of them in my theater, but my opinion is biased.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1593 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Paul,

I believe I read on these forums that Triad can make custom sizes?

How narrow could you make a Gold 6 LCR or Gold Monitor with 7.5 inches of wall depth and at what additional cost?

The monitor could be taller but the LCR is pretty tall now...any taller on the LCR may make it a tight squeeze behind a screen.

Thanks
Larry

I have a few general answers. An InWall Gold LCR can be made as narrow as 10.5" wide and not to exceed 7.5" in depth. An InWall Gold Monitor can be made 9.5" wide. You would have to contact an AUTHORIZED Triad dealer and have him handle the order, as the speakers have to be redesigned, and we can't do that without a firm commitment. The engineering for one speaker would be approximately $600, and that is a one-time charge. The premium for building a one-off custom version would be an additional $400 or so per speaker. If you did two Gold LCRs, the added cost would be $1,400, and three would add $2,000. It takes a few weeks to get pure custom speakers through the system.

Thanks for asking!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1594 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Newbie
 
Marc Keller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Hey guys.

Thinking about going the Triad inwall route with an AT screen. Considering Gold/6 LCR or Gold/6 Monitor w/ 3 subs up front. Any thoughts?

Room is about 12.5x22. I usually listen at about reference levels. My listening preference is stomach punching midrange/midbass impact as well as clean LFE

Or possibly inwall plats? here?

Any feedback is appreciated.

My room is of similar size (14x20). I went with InWall Gold/6 Monitors behind an AT screen, driven by Parasound Halo amps. I have 2 InRoom Platinum DSP subs in the front. This system is capable of insame levels in a room of this size. LFE is very clean and midrange has good punch. But I'm most impressed with the top range. The tweeter is superb.

I have not heard the Gold LCR, so I can't compare. But I have the Silver/6 Monitors in my living room, and the Gold Monitors are a step up. But as always, you pay dearly for the extra 10-15% performance

I also like the Platinum subs. They work very well for music, but they can easily shake the room for movies. I've had some technical problems with them, though. They keep losing their memory settings, so I have to go through the setup every few weeks. Triad is aware of the problem, and has apparantly just recently tracked down the cause. So this should hopefully be a thing of the past. Also be aware that the subs don't have room correction as originally announced. If you don't need room correction in the subs, I can recommend them.
Marc Keller is offline  
post #1595 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Keller View Post

My room is of similar size (14x20). I went with InWall Gold/6 Monitors behind an AT screen, driven by Parasound Halo amps. I have 2 InRoom Platinum DSP subs in the front. This system is capable of insame levels in a room of this size. LFE is very clean and midrange has good punch. But I'm most impressed with the top range. The tweeter is superb.

I have not heard the Gold LCR, so I can't compare. But I have the Silver/6 Monitors in my living room, and the Gold Monitors are a step up. But as always, you pay dearly for the extra 10-15% performance

I also like the Platinum subs. They work very well for music, but they can easily shake the room for movies. I've had some technical problems with them, though. They keep losing their memory settings, so I have to go through the setup every few weeks. Triad is aware of the problem, and has apparantly just recently tracked down the cause. So this should hopefully be a thing of the past. Also be aware that the subs don't have room correction as originally announced. If you don't need room correction in the subs, I can recommend them.

That's a fair characterization of the performance and the problems. I agree.

Talk to your Triad dealer about a fix for the memory glitch, which we've solved. Also, when we envisioned these new subs a few years ago, there was no universal full-range EQ in receivers and processors, and now there is. It makes much, much more sense to equalize a system full-range, and not just do the subs. Many room problems are from 80 Hz-320 Hz, and although that's still considered bass, it's above the crossover frequency for the sub.

A word of caution: If you have two Platinum DSP Subs in a room that size, you may detach a retina or cause structural damage to your house. That's 2,000 real watts (not peak) and two long-throw 18" drivers. Holy crap.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1596 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Member
 
razz589's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Paul for the custom size options and upcharge.

The 9.5 to 10.5 inch widths would work perfectly and allow me to widen the front LR speakers from 8 feet to about 10 - 11 feet.

Now to decide if the cost is worth the extra 2 to 3 feet!
razz589 is offline  
post #1597 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Thanks Paul for the custom size options and upcharge.

The 9.5 to 10.5 inch widths would work perfectly and allow me to widen the front LR speakers from 8 feet to about 10 - 11 feet.

Now to decide if the cost is worth the extra 2 to 3 feet!

You're only doing this once. Do it right, if you can. Once the speakers are in the walls, in the optimum position, will you regret having spent a bit more? I don't think so...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1598 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Newbie
 
Marc Keller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

A word of caution: If you have two Platinum DSP Subs in a room that size, you may detach a retina or cause structural damage to your house. That's 2,000 real watts (not peak) and two long-throw 18" drivers. Holy crap.

I'm actually thinking about adding 2 Silver DSP Subs in the rear. If I'm having structural damage to the house anyway, I can just as well do it with style

But seriously, I realized that I can not get as flat a bass response across all seats as I would like. I played with adding a third sub (an old Sunfire) in the rear, and it flattened out response considerably. If I was starting over again, I may just go with 4 Silver DSP subs. But the Platinums sure are fun (as long as you don't have to move them).
Marc Keller is offline  
post #1599 of 6379 Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Let me make your Platinum look small. Here's a picture of a sub we're tinkering with that uses a 21" driver. That's Ros Davis of our inside sales department with an InWall version. We have no immediate plans to release the 21", though, because multiple subs work better than one monster. Of course, you could always have four or six monsters...


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1600 of 6379 Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Member
 
razz589's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paul,

One more question...(I think)...on those custom size Gold 7.5 inch deep speakers.

Does the height change?

Thanks
razz589 is offline  
post #1601 of 6379 Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Paul,

One more question...(I think)...on those custom size Gold 7.5 inch deep speakers.

Does the height change?

Thanks

The LCR might not get any taller, but the Monitor's height increases a few inches.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1602 of 6379 Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
NCCaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Let me make your Platinum look small. Here's a picture of a sub we're tinkering with that uses a 21" driver. That's Ros Davis of our inside sales department with an InWall version. We have no immediate plans to release the 21", though, because multiple subs work better than one monster. Of course, you could always have four or six monsters...


Getting pretty close to the speaker setup in Dr. Brown's lab in Back to the Future!
NCCaniac is offline  
post #1603 of 6379 Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Getting pretty close to the speaker setup in Dr. Brown's lab in Back to the Future!

Yeah, it's definitely a Marty McFly woofer...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1604 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Hi Paul,

I'm trying to play around with various options and was thinking about room space and sound proofing concerns.

If I went with Gold LCR in-walls behind an AT screen, I need to use some sort of backer box in order to maintain sound proofing integrity. Some have said to use double MDF or double 5/8" drywall and Green Glue and then mount the box to the stud with a couple of DC-04 isolation clips. Some have used acoustic rated foam to fill in any gaps with the speaker in the box.

Does Triad have any recommendations on using their in-wall speakers with sound isolation backer boxes? Box sizes needed? Building materials to use? Construction tips? Etc.

I don't want to go through all the trouble and expense of creating a decoupled room-within-a-room and then damage all that with improperly installed in-wall speakers.

Thank you!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1605 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Hi Paul,

I'm trying to play around with various options and was thinking about room space and sound proofing concerns.

If I went with Gold LCR in-walls behind an AT screen, I need to use some sort of backer box in order to maintain sound proofing integrity. Some have said to use double MDF or double 5/8" drywall and Green Glue and then mount the box to the stud with a couple of DC-04 isolation clips. Some have used acoustic rated foam to fill in any gaps with the speaker in the box.

Does Triad have any recommendations on using their in-wall speakers with sound isolation backer boxes? Box sizes needed? Building materials to use? Construction tips? Etc.

I don't want to go through all the trouble and expense of creating a decoupled room-within-a-room and then damage all that with improperly installed in-wall speakers.

Thank you!

Look into QuietRock from Serious Materials, instead of conventional drywall. Also, I will find out what the decoupling brackets are that we used in our CEDIA demo. All 12 subs and 6 surrounds were floated off the walls with these metal and rubber brackets. Might take a day or two...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1606 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Look into QuietRock from Serious Materials, instead of conventional drywall. Also, I will find out what the decoupling brackets are that we used in our CEDIA demo. All 12 subs and 6 surrounds were floated off the walls with these metal and rubber brackets. Might take a day or two...

Thanks for your efforts!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1607 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This is set-up of our CEDIA demo last year, where we built and floated a room (at incredible expense) on the show floor. In the middle of each wall we placed three 12" CinemaPlus DSP Subs, each driven by a 500 watt amp, for twelve total subs and 6,000 watts. You can easily see the brackets we used to mount the subs to the wall. The brackets use heavy rubber grommets that isolate the enclosure from the wall. I'll find out where we got them.


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1608 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Great!

I'm sure this will not only help me, but other in-wall speaker users as well.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1609 of 6379 Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
BTW, in a home, the room shown above would have an aluminum grid and cloth covering that extends 10" into the room. That special version of the Silver DSP Sub is 9.5" deep. This is more like what the room would look like with the cloth up. This room uses Triad subs floated off the wall like in the CEDIA picture. Slick, eh?


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1610 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Dan, these are the brackets I was talking about. The effectively decouple a speaker from a wall at all but the very lowest frequencies. I hope this helps. I may switch my system out to InWall Gold/6 Monitors, mount them with these, and then do a cloth wall behind my AT screen. It's a fun hobby, isn't it?

http://www.pac-intl.com/decoupled.htm

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1611 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mopar_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rice Lake, WI
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I suppose that this is the wrong place to ask because I will only get positve feed back but it is a good place to start.

I am trying to figure out what to do for my surround speakers in my HT build. The room is 14'-6" x 22' and will have an AT screen. Front speakers will be AV123 Rocket RS-760' for left and right and a RSC-200 for the center (trying to find another 760 for the center). And a SVS PC-12 Ultra sub.

I need 4 surround speakers for a 7.1 system. I do currently have a pair of Rocket RSS-300, but they are no longer made so I would have to buy a used set to have 4. The 300's worked fine but didn't seem to have as direct sound as I would like being they are dipole, but to be fair the room they were in was horrible for a surround setup.

I have really been leaning to the Emotiva ERD-1's because they are switchable from Dipole to Bipole so I could try different combinations and they have a front facing woofer so I thought I would get a little better direct sound, and they fall into the budget.

Then I got to thinking about inwalls and it might be nice to have the speakers more hidden in the walls. The side surrounds will stick out right in the area of the step that goes to the upper seating. I am just over my head with all of the choices that are out their for inwalls and don't know where to go. I like the looks of the Triad again because of the forward facing driver and they fact that they have a built in encloser, I don't want an inwall I have to build a box for. If I do inwalls I don't want to cheap out because one a hole is chopped in the wall I don't want to change speakers.

I am looking at the Inwall Silver Surrounds. They are going to be over twice as much as the Emotiva speaker. Are they twice as good??

The only thing that I don't like about the Triad's are the fact they are only dipole, it seems that people lean toward having bipole for the rears.

If I could win the lottery this would be alot easier.....
Mopar_Mudder is offline  
post #1612 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks for the response Paul (and everyone else). I may consider the standard plats and build a soffit to place them. However, most of what I read about the plats is they are designed for much larger rooms. Do you think this is an issue or am I better of going with the in wall gold monitors?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

All three Triad fronts that you mention have the capability of slamming in a 12.5' x 22' room. The BaffleWall version of the Platinum LCR simply won't fit, though. It's not an InWall; it's built into a baffle. The BaffleWall version of the Platinum LCR is around 9" deep, and it could be fashioned into a false wall, though.

The Gold LCR uses two aluminum-cone Seas 8" midbass drivers, so midbass is very punchy with good headroom. The Gold Monitor uses two 7" Scan-Speak mids, so it, too, can deliver midbass impact. And the Gold Monitor has that sick Revelator tweeter. All three speakers have sensitivity above 92 dB.

I'd be interested in opinions of owners of any of these speakers, though. I've had all three of them in my theater, but my opinion is biased.


McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
adidino is offline  
post #1613 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I am looking at the Inwall Silver Surrounds. They are going to be over twice as much as the Emotiva speaker. Are they twice as good??

The only thing that I don't like about the Triad's are the fact they are only dipole, it seems that people lean toward having bipole for the rears.

If I could win the lottery this would be alot easier.....

I can't tell you if they're twice as good, but I doubt it. "Twice as good" is a lot. And I'm not exactly unbiased, but I have Silver Surrounds in two of my systems in my house, and they work great; even kept up with Platinum LCRs in the front for a few years.

Let me know if you DO win the lottery, because I can figure out a way to use up $100,000 of it...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1614 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks for the response Paul (and everyone else). I may consider the standard plats and build a soffit to place them. However, most of what I read about the plats is they are designed for much larger rooms. Do you think this is an issue or am I better of going with the in wall gold monitors?

As I've stated before, I used the first Platinum LCRs made in my 11.5' x 19' theater for four years, and they were hilarious, delightful, surreal overkill. Eventually, I switched to Gold Monitors, which I love, but I could go back to Platinums again, easily. Both speakers are accurate, and I give the Monitors a slight edge in detail and resolution at moderate levels. But the Platinum LCRs maintain composure and dynamics at brain-damaging levels. I could play the Sheffield Drum CD at levels that exceeded the live levels of a drum set in my theater, with grace and effortlessness. (I'm an ex-professional drummer. I've never heard a speaker do this.)

Yup, you could do Platinum LCRs in that room. Do an AT screen, and build in three of them. Here's a drawing...See?? I even did the hard stuff for ya!


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1615 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks for the response Paul (and everyone else). I may consider the standard plats and build a soffit to place them. However, most of what I read about the plats is they are designed for much larger rooms. Do you think this is an issue or am I better of going with the in wall gold monitors?

BTW, there's a CinemaPlus version of the Platinum, as I've mentioned, that is around 9" deep, but taller, with the same performance. It's also the same price, $7,000 each. There's as much as 9 dB of gain by having the Platinum flushed into a wall, so headroom is absolutely sick. You have to use EQ (which everyone has now) to pull the levels down as you go lower in frequency, but it takes far less power to light Platinums up when in a baffle.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1616 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Newbie
 
wrdds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pepper Pike, Ohio (close to Cleveland)
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own 2 gold monitors, 1 in wall gold minitor and 4 silver monitors. They use scan-speak revelator mid -range /tweeters (not sure about the silver tweeter). San speak has since come out with the illuminator tweeter and mid-range. Is Triad planning on upgrading to the new illuminators?
wrdds is offline  
post #1617 of 6379 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Dan, these are the brackets I was talking about. The effectively decouple a speaker from a wall at all but the very lowest frequencies. I hope this helps. I may switch my system out to InWall Gold/6 Monitors, mount them with these, and then do a cloth wall behind my AT screen. It's a fun hobby, isn't it?

http://www.pac-intl.com/decoupled.htm

Much thanks!!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1618 of 6379 Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdds View Post

I own 2 gold monitors, 1 in wall gold minitor and 4 silver monitors. They use scan-speak revelator mid -range /tweeters (not sure about the silver tweeter). San speak has since come out with the illuminator tweeter and mid-range. Is Triad planning on upgrading to the new illuminators?

Those drivers are not an upgrade for Gold Monitors. There's no drop-in 7" replacement, and the Illuminator series tweeter that's comparable in many respects is far less sensitive; a whopping 4 dB; than the R-29 we use.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #1619 of 6379 Old 05-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Member
 
mfahnestock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay here's a rookie question as I am new to Triad speakers. On the website, I know Triad has their LCR speakers and they also have their Monitor speakers. What's the main difference in products?

Are the monitors designed to replace the LCR product line eventually? Or are the monitors designed more for audio whereas LCR is more HT? Just trying to get an understanding of the objectives of the Product Line.
mfahnestock is offline  
post #1620 of 6379 Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahnestock View Post

Okay here's a rookie question as I am new to Triad speakers. On the website, I know Triad has their LCR speakers and they also have their Monitor speakers. What's the main difference in products?

Are the monitors designed to replace the LCR product line eventually? Or are the monitors designed more for audio whereas LCR is more HT? Just trying to get an understanding of the objectives of the Product Line.

That's a good question, and we get asked often enough that I wrote an explanation that's on our website. (I just noticed it needs updating.) This brief explanation explains all our nomenclature. Rather than having model numbers (RXX-2500BRG-2-Plus), our product names describe what the products actually are. For example, an InWall Gold/6 LCR is an inwall LCR that needs 6" of stud depth, and it's between Silver and Platinum in total awesomeness.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/educati...akertypes.html

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off