Triad Owner's Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #2611 of 6414 Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Paul for the article. The pic on the last page sums of the setup I'm looking for.

Are they old plat subs in the pic?

I did notice that you can buy a plat sub enclosure alone. Any recommened rack amp that goes with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 6414 Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The CinemaPlus version of the InWall Silver Sub is 33" high, 17" w, and 9" deep. It comes with a 500 watt amp, which is about to become a 600 watt amp. I'm waiting to hear from Triad on the pricing, but it's around $2,000.

Edit: Actually, the 9"-deep version of the Silver DSP Sub is $2,475. Sorry for the lowball price earlier. I recommend multiples of this sub in rooms where there is very little depth for subs and you desire prodigious bass, or for serious installations with the room covered with fabric walls.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #2613 of 6414 Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkopp View Post

Thanks Paul for the article. The pic on the last page sums of the setup I'm looking for.

I did notice that you can buy a plat sub enclosure alone. Any recommened rack amp that goes with it?

Right now there is no RackAmp for the Platinum DSP Sub. It's only available with the onboard 1,000 watt amp. No other Triad amp will work with the Platinum DSP Sub, either.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2614 of 6414 Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Those appear to be CinemaPlus Silver DSP Subs.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2615 of 6414 Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 AM

Well, I finally had a chance to listen to Platinum speakers. Thanks to Tony (adidino) for allowing me to visit his compact yet beautiful and well-tuned theater.

My first impression - the speakers ARE big. I think the company is not doing a good job in projecting the real size of these speakers. May be if they start putting the relative size photos on their website - like someone standing next to them or next to a some kind of very familiar object.

Tony played various demo material from Jazz concerts to stadium rock concerts - sound effects from subtle to action packed scenes from various movies. Whatever played, (some at reference levels), the platinums delivered the goods exceptionally without strain and not losing the track details.

Overall I'm more than impressed with the speakers.

The setup includes Triad Platinum subs, Classe CT-SSP and CT series amps.

Thanks Tony.
post #2616 of 6414 Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, I finally had a chance to listen to Platinum speakers. Thanks to Tony (adidino) for allowing me to visit his compact yet beautiful and well-tuned theater.

My first impression - the speakers ARE big. I think the company is not doing a good job in projecting the real size of these speakers. May be if they start putting the relative size photos on their website - like someone standing next to them or next to a some kind of very familiar object.

Tony played various demo material from Jazz concerts to stadium rock concerts - sound effects from subtle to action packed scenes from various movies. Whatever played, (some at reference levels), the platinums delivered the goods exceptionally without strain and not losing the track details.

Thanks Tony.

Thanks for generously giving your time, Tony. And maxkopp, I'm glad you liked the speakers. I've mentioned the size and weight of the Platinum LCRs, saying they weigh almost 150 lbs. each many times. Despite the considerable physical size, they still have a small footprint; not much greater than a Gold Monitor. (Platinum LCR is 12" wide and 16" deep, and the Gold Monitor is 10" wide and 13" deep.) They don't displace much floor space.

Your assessment of the sound is accurate. They never sound strained, and they actually are quite bored with big action scenes in movies, played well above reference. They take everything in ho-hum stride. They sound the same at low levels as they do at brain-damaging levels, other than being louder. The greatest strength of the Platinum LCR, in my opinion, is it's lack of any audible flaws.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2617 of 6414 Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Paul,

Would using in-wall surrounds on the sides for rear surrounds be a bad thing since my back wall is a sliding glass door? - OR - Should I use in ceiling's for rear surrounds.

The side surround are gold in-walls.

These would be rear surrounds in a 7.1 system.

Thanks
post #2618 of 6414 Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Paul,

Would using in-wall surrounds on the sides for rear surrounds be a bad thing since my back wall is a sliding glass door? - OR - Should I use in ceiling's for rear surrounds.

The side surround are gold in-walls.

These would be rear surrounds in a 7.1 system.

Thanks

In a situation like that, I would do a pair of our angled-baffle InCeiling speakers, and place them not-too-far apart in the ceiling; as close as 6' apart. I think getting the rear speakers behind you is more important than having them at the ideal height. I would look at the InCeiling Silver/6 Sat or the InCeiling Gold/8 Omni SE, depending upon your budget. A pair of Silver/6 Sats is $1,000, and a pair of Gold/8 Omni SE is $2,100.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2619 of 6414 Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks Jay! I'm glad you enjoyed them! It was my pleasure to show off my gear. It's always fun. You are welcome back anytime should you decide you want to listen to more material. I just added some ASC Acoustic bass traps in the front corners. Brought the whole system up another level. An additional Triad 12 sub should arrive next week for the back of the room for bass fill. I know.. I'm a sick man but I can't help myself.

Quote:

Thanks Tony.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #2620 of 6414 Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I just added some ASC Acoustic bass traps in the front corners.

Good to see another Oregon company (ASC) is selling product.

On another note, sad that the Triad Plats no longer have rack amps available................I'm currently looking at having two dual opposed subs built using LMS 5400 Ultra drivers with 4000 watts each!

Hope the Triad Gold Monitors wont be drowned out......
post #2621 of 6414 Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

An additional Triad 12 sub should arrive next week for the back of the room for bass fill. I know.. I'm a sick man but I can't help myself.

Wow...more bass. you ARE sick :-)
post #2622 of 6414 Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

On another note, sad that the Triad Plats no longer have rack amps available...

Just to clarify, Gold and Platinum DSP Subs are available with the 1,000 watt amp onboard. That's what Tony and I both have. They cost less, and open up more rack space. M&K sold all it's subs with only onboard amplifiers, and in almost all cases, it isn't a problem. All our other InRoom subs are available with either the RackAmp or PlateAmp versions, and, of course, all InWall Subs are available with RackAmps.

That said, if you absolutely need a separate amp for your Gold or Platinum sub, we do offer a BoxAmp version of the amp. It's our PlateAmp built into a nifty MDF enclosure. The price of the BoxAmp is a few bucks less than the RackAmp, and it's available now.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2623 of 6414 Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Paul for your response.............

For my application, rack mount amps are the only direction I want to go. Because of this, I've eliminated quite a few outstanding subs such as the Triad Plats, Seaton Submersive, and my beloved Velodyne DD's.

Triad was one of a handful of quality manufacturers to offer rack mount amps for their subs, and I was disheartened to hear the rack mount amp option in the Plat's is no longer available................thus I'm moving in a different direction.
post #2624 of 6414 Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For my application, rack mount amps are the only direction I want to go. Because of this, I've eliminated quite a few outstanding subs such as the Triad Plats, Seaton Submersive, and my beloved Velodyne DD's.

Triad was one of a handful of quality manufacturers to offer rack mount amps for their subs, and I was disheartened to hear the rack mount amp option in the Plat's is no longer available................thus I'm moving in a different direction.

Hey, I understand. But I am taking you out of my will...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2625 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doublewing,

There are two Plat subs on audiogon for sale only $2500 for the pair!! 1000w rack amps...not the newer DSP subs, but I have one of these and they sound amazing. Im sure Paul can chime in on the difference. I think these were around two years old...not sure

post #2626 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Doublewing,

There are two Plat subs on audiogon for sale only $2500 for the pair!! 1000w rack amps...not the newer DSP subs, but I have one of these and they sound amazing. Im sure Paul can chime in on the difference. I think these were around two years old...not sure

Those may be the older ICEpower 1,000 watt amps, which were fine. If you buy any heavy Triad stuff used online, make sure it's in the original box and it gets shipped ON A PALLET. Otherwise, it won't make it. 100% sure. It has to come by truck, properly packed, and palletized, or heavy damage is guaranteed.

Driving to pick them up is the only smart thing to do. You get to see and hear the product, and it doesn't get ruined in shipping.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2627 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hey Paul.
Glad to see you're still around!
BTW I checked out those subs on Audiogon, seems like a good deal but PA is too far and I hate the Steelers as well.

I'm in the market for a sub amp(s).
How much is the amp pictured above?

Just curious, why did you guys move away from an ICE-based design?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #2628 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Hey Paul.
Glad to see you're still around!
BTW I checked out those subs on Audiogon, seems like a good deal but PA is too far and I hate the Steelers as well.

I'm in the market for a sub amp(s).
How much is the amp pictured above?

Just curious, why did you guys move away from an ICE-based design?

I hate few sports teams, even though I am not a Steeler fan. I'm a Bears, Bulls, and White Sox fan who hates the Cubs. Don't even get me started...

Our amps, as well as almost all sub amps, were designed specifically for one sub. You can't just buy a sub amp and use it on any sub, because the limiter isn't for your sub, the EQ scheme is wrong for your sub, and your sub may be the wrong impedance.

That said, the BoxAmp350 is $700, the BoxAmp 600 is $900, and the BoxAmp1000 is $1,150. They're a bit less than the RackAmp versions.

The current BASH platform delivers more power over a longer interval, with the advantages of an AB amp and the advantages of a Class D amp. The ICEpower modules became scarce, expensive, and they acted like they were the purveyors of the freaking Holy Grail. Repair parts became an issue, too.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2629 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Doublewing,

Thanks for sharing/caring.............((group hug))

I'm going the TC Sound LMS 5400 Ultra driver route using a QSC RMX 5050 or RMX 4050HD amps depending on driver configuration. If I go two dual opposed I'll use the QSC RMX 5050 for each sub............or if I just go two single box drivers then I'll use the RMX 4050HD bridged for 4000 watts........

I finally had a listen to a LMS 5400 Ultra driver.........SQ is unbelievable and distortion levels are on par with the servo driven digital drives but with a heck of a lot more SPL! Absolute MONSTERS!

Advantages are rack mountable amps......prodigious power and the best SQ I've ever heard! Down side is no on board DSP............but I'm looking into alternatives.............

I'm hoping the Gold Monitors can keep up.............I'm not a betting man, but I bet/believe they will....
post #2630 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Are you building your own enclosures? Despite high power and a $900 driver, there is plenty to mess up. Don't trivialize the importance of the cabinet; it's as important as the driver and amp. And, hopefully, you will be able to EQ the system for ultra-low frequencies. Is there a stock enclosure offered? Is it extensively braced and damped? If not, it will sing along with the music. Just make sure the enclosure is built to the correct dimensions and braced like a bank vault. That driver is very nice!

Here's an old picture of the raw Gold PowerSub enclosure, showing the extensive bracing. I rarely see anything like this in DIY subs, whose cabinet sides often emit 90 dB of bleeding bass. That adds to output, but it's distortion. An enclosure has to be as dead as Kelsey's nuts, as they say...

My Gold Monitors won't quite keep up with my two Gold DSP Subs, but I don't need to hit 120 dB in my theater. Having the kind of headroom you'll have will allow you to keep the excursion down for cleaner bass.

Again, I'm curious to know what you intend to use for an enclosure. Done right, you'll have killer bass.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2631 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Our amps, as well as almost all sub amps, were designed specifically for one sub. You can't just buy a sub amp and use it on any sub, because the limiter isn't for your sub, the EQ scheme is wrong for your sub, and your sub may be the wrong impedance.

What you say makes perfect sense considering the thought that Triad puts into their products.
Thanks for the info.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #2632 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

This may help some of you when looking at Triad DSP Subs. With a 1 meter ground plane sweep, here are the maximum outputs of one of each of our subs. I haven't discussed max output, but it's good to know:

SlimSub: 105 dB. The InWall SlimSub is only 4" deep, and is made to add some bottom end in distributed audio systems, or with soundbars.

Mini: 108 dB. Good extension and decent output in a very small box with an 8" driver.

Bronze: 109 dB. Good output, small footprint, and response to 20 Hz with a single 10" driver.

Silver: 113 dB. Strong output and extension in a compact sub with a 600 watt amp.

Gold: 119 dB. Approaching brain damaging levels. Add another one and position them less than 4' away from each other, and you can expect 124 dB+ output. But wait, there's more...

Platinum: 122 dB. Add another one for 127 dB max output. What, are you crazy??

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2633 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

What you say makes perfect sense considering the thought that Triad puts into their products.
Thanks for the info.

Tuning the amplifier to the sub and enclosure and not being arbitrary and hoping for the best is the correct way to do it. Look at this response curve from our old Silver PowerSub. You won't find bandwidth linearity like this in hardly any other sub ever made. Extension decreases as the output goes up (of course), but this small sub has very flat response because the amp is mated properly to it. Response at a healthy 100 dB is still ruler-flat. Look up some other response curves for subs, and they look like the side view of a steep hill.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2634 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you building your own enclosures? Despite high power and a $900 driver, there is plenty to mess up. Don't trivialize the importance of the cabinet; it's as important as the driver and amp. And, hopefully, you will be able to EQ the system for ultra-low frequencies. Is there a stock enclosure offered? Is it extensively braced and damped? If not, it will sing along with the music. Just make sure the enclosure is built to the correct dimensions and braced like a bank vault. That driver is very nice!

Here's an old picture of the raw Gold PowerSub enclosure, showing the extensive bracing. I rarely see anything like this in DIY subs, whose cabinet sides often emit 90 dB of bleeding bass. That adds to output, but it's distortion. An enclosure has to be as dead as Kelsey's nuts, as they say...

My Gold Monitors won't quite keep up with my two Gold DSP Subs, but I don't need to hit 120 dB in my theater. Having the kind of headroom you'll have will allow you to keep the excursion down for cleaner bass.

Again, I'm curious to know what you intend to use for an enclosure. Done right, you'll have killer bass.

I've built many things...............3 homes, two large pole barns, B & B Lodge etc. etc. .........I have no intention of building bass enclosures!

No, I'm not a contractor........I have a graduate degree!

Disclaimer: just a playful remark not intended to offend hard working General contractors!

Well Paul, I'm having an outfit in BC, Canada construct the subs.......Funky Waves is the name of the small company. Seems unfair Funky Wave projects are delegate to the DIY section in this forum.

BTW, 120 dbs will never hit my ears.......... -5 or -10 deebers below reference will be more like it. And yes, with the available headroom the LF should cruise along without breaking a sweat. The Gold Monitors should do just fine...............

BTW.......... What do dead Kelsey's nuts look like? Never seen or heard of one..... two.......
post #2635 of 6414 Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM

I wanted to share my recent experience with Triad Speakers and what great customer service I received from Paul Scarpelli and Triad.

I recently purchased Triad In-Wall Gold 6 LCR speakers.
One of the screw holes, on one of the speakers grill frame, did not align with the screw hole in the speaker.
This 1/4" misalignment between the grill frame and the speaker prevented me from properly installing the speaker.

I contacted Paul via this forum (10PM Eastern Time) to explain to him the problem. What seemed like an immediate response, Paul sent me a PM informing me that he would take care of the problem by contacting the Triad Service Department the next morning.

The very next morning Brent from Triad Speakers contacted me to apologize for the problem and to make sure that he had my shipping information so that he could expedite shipping of the new grill frame to me.

Fast forward a whole one day later and when I got home from work the new grill was sitting on my front porch packaged in a box that made my wife think that they sent me a whole new speaker and not just the grill frame.

Needless to say great sounding speakers and customer service like I recently received from Paul and Brent will make me a Triad customer for a very very long time to come.

By the way the speakers sound fantastic!!!

Thanks again Paul and Brent!!!
post #2636 of 6414 Old 03-04-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No, I'm not a contractor........I have a graduate degree!

Disclaimer: just a playful remark not intended to offend hard working General contractors!

But...did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Harumph.

Quote:

BTW, 120 dbs will never hit my ears.......... -5 or -10 deebers below reference will be more like it. And yes, with the available headroom the LF should cruise along without breaking a sweat. The Gold Monitors should do just fine...............

You'll be okay, but when you want to, you'll be able to let 'er rip.

Quote:

BTW.......... What do dead Kelsey's nuts look like? Never seen or heard of one..... two.......

Umm, it's just an expression.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2637 of 6414 Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Needless to say great sounding speakers and customer service like I recently received from Paul and Brent will make me a Triad customer for a very very long time to come.

By the way the speakers sound fantastic!!!

Thanks again Paul and Brent!!!

I apologize again for the inconvenience, and I'm glad Brent (as usual) handled the problem for you. We take this stuff personally. And I'm glad the Gold LCRs sound fantastic!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2638 of 6414 Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Umm, it's just an expression.
Oh, I got it.........a picture speaks a thousand words!!

Considering I have to help my brother-in-law this weekend convert 150 calves into steers, I bet the poor fellas can relate to the expression.............if you catch my drift!

On a serious note, if you like "Rocky Mountain Oysters", I can save a few hundred for ya!!
post #2639 of 6414 Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
On a serious note, if you like "Rocky Mountain Oysters", I can save a few hundred for ya!!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #2640 of 6414 Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess not.............lol
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad