Klipsch THX Ultra2 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 Old 10-14-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mankite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For owners of this system or people who have heard it. Impressions?

Mankite
mankite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 104 Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
People who have it, of course, love it.

But be prepared for some detractors who are simply biased against Klipsch in general.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #3 of 104 Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,241
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 537
It depends on the application. For acoustically transparent screen usage without caring about multi-channel music listening from SA-CD's and DVD-Audio... I could see the advantage of these as they can belt it out cleanly at loud volumes.

However, IMHO Klipsch are very bright speakers. Uncomfortably so. I like a more balanced and laid back presentation without a lot of coloration to the sound. That let's the speaker get out of the way and let you hear what's on the recording. No need for embellishment.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #4 of 104 Old 10-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Newbie
 
mrogge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude!!! Im totally looking to hear this system. Let me know what you decide yourself, and if you can find it anywhere to listen.
mrogge is offline  
post #5 of 104 Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
VTGOLFER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would not call them "very bright" like Dan mentioned but accurate. They are a very dynamic speakers that handle DTS, DD and uncompressed audio found in movie sound tracks very well. Because Klipsch speakers are very efficient, dynamic and can play at insane levels they usually get accused of being overly bright.

Horn loaded speakers are not for everyone so you really need to give them a listen and decide for yourself. I love the Klipsch sound eventhough I do not own a pair or set at this time. I use to own the Klipsch Heresy back in the early to mid 80's and they sounded wonderful.
VTGOLFER is offline  
post #6 of 104 Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
 
bluray_1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mankite since you only want a system for movies this setup outstanding.
bluray_1080p is offline  
post #7 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
raffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mankite;

I just ordered a set of these (7.1 system) for my new HT, but I won't have them setup for another 4 to 6 weeks when the HT will be done.

I was between the Paradigm Studio 100's and the Klipsch. For 95% movies my wife and I went for the klipsch, although we have boughht smaller Paradigms before. I think (hoping) they will give us more of a theater experience.

They sound a lot different than other Klipsch speakers. I auditioned a set of RF62 in an HT and my ears hurt (excessively bright). The U2s on the other hand exhibited none of the brightness of the RF62.

Sounded very clean, even at high volume

this is just a newbies opinion

btw, I am in SE PA
raffy is offline  
post #8 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
scooterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love when people say that Klipsch are to bright or they are loud and all the other things that go along with horn loaded speakers. I would really like to know out of all of these people how many have really taken the time and listened to the speakers they are commenting on. I mean if you heard something from Klipsch that you did not like I can accept that but what I question is the bias towards everything a company may build. Just because one model may not be liked does not mean another would sound the same.

Ok I am a bit biased towards Klipsch because I like the sound of them. But I have also heard a similar setup to mine but with different components driving them and they sounded different. Not overly bad but not as good. This will happen to most really good speakers, they will bring out the good and the bad and if someone was subjected to bad then they assume they all must be.

Every single review of the THX Ultra II system has been outstanding from the reviewers and owners point of view. In fact the whole RF line has been given very high remarks. It will be interesting to hear what the nay sayers have to say about the new 15k Klipsch Palladium spearkers getting ready to hit the market.

Look bottom line here is don't take what I or anyone else has to say because chances are most have not even heard the model in question. Go out and listen for yourself because in the end who gives a crap what someone else says if you like or dislike something. Its all in the ears of the beholder not someone elses rep
scooterdog is offline  
post #9 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
scooterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Whoops I forgot to add this link. This a review done by Audioholics

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sch-thx-ultra2
scooterdog is offline  
post #10 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
They are an impressive set. The dynamics of the set are literally awesome, they can convey very excellent detail, and handle the peaks of the most demanding soundtrack with ease.

I never heard them with music though.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #11 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,757
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
The Klipsch U2 will give you that exact movie experience but with more resolution. They have that big commercial sound. They are not bright at all. You will love watching movies with these. Please give them good clean power and they will reward you. They are in my top 3 of pure movie experiences. My other 2 are M&K S-5000THX speakers and JTR triple 8's.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #12 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

I use to own the Klipsch Heresy back in the early to mid 80's and they sounded wonderful.

Me too. But mine go back even farther. Bought 4 during the QS/SQ/etc "quad" fiasco back in the 70's. Dating myself I know. Just gave them away. Not because they were worn out, because they STILL sounded fantastic, but because the wife got tired of the real estate they took, plus the way they didn't blend with any of our other furniture.

Your comment about Klipsch being efficient is well noted. When I had my Heresies pumping, even at low volumes, I NEVER used the loudness contour button. One word: Natural!

BTW, my all time favorite speakers, bar none, are the Klipschorns. Talk about efficient! Talk about real estate . . . .
yobob is offline  
post #13 of 104 Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobob View Post

BTW, my all time favorite speakers, bar none, are the Klipschorns. Talk about efficient! Talk about real estate . . . .

Reconsider the real estate issue! Sure they need a wide front wall and good corners, but they fit right into the corners and thus take up less space than many much smaller speakers that need to be 2 to 3 feet from any wall.

The corner fit also means that kids don't tend to hit or run into them and knock them down (if they could knock one down).

I use my Klipschorns as front mains, a center Heresy II and a pair of La Scala as surrounds. But I'm about to acquire another pairs of Heresy II to use as surrounds and will be moving one of the La Scala to center duty, jacked-up over the screen and aiming at the sweet spot. The extra La Scala will likely be used as 6th rear channel, and the single Heresy II likely retired.

psgcdn is offline  
post #14 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the complete Klipsch THX Ultra II system set up in my dedicated theater - including the dual subs and amp. In a word, they are awesome. Truly one of the best speaker systems I've heard - for BOTH movies and music. I listen to a lot of multi channel audio, and this system plays SACD and DVD-Audio better than my previous M&K S-150 system.

For movies, the system simply excels. It literally blows away most home theater systems I've heard - and I've heard many, many nice systems. The speakers aren't "bright" at all, but rather exude power, dynamics, and believe it or not, warmth.

They aren't the most attractive speakers on the market (i.e. black boxes), but Klipsch put all the money in this system where it matters most - the sound. They are still very well built, however. The cabinets are rock solid.

You can't go wrong with this system - it truly is spectacular.
bambam is offline  
post #15 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,757
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Bambam,
I agree with you. When compared side by side with the M&K S-150(KL-650) the biggest difference was the huge presentation from the klipsch. The M&K S-150 just felt like a small box after. The OP can't lose, just make sure he gets a deal.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #16 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Figgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Klipsch THX U2 are great for music too. I am a classical music guy, usually performances from Telarc. These speakers play just exceptional well in music. But thier true forte is the cinema side.

And if you have 2 subs instead of 1. Be prepared to for loud and low.

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
Figgie is offline  
post #17 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
GoND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post

Whoops I forgot to add this link. This a review done by Audioholics

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sch-thx-ultra2

You can't show reviews like that, after all, everyone that reviews speakers online is an idiot compared to people on here!

Home Theater Magazine reviewed the RF-83 system, and talked about how there was no coloration that some thought was believed to exist with all Klipsch speakers. But, what do they know? They only have their review jobs because the experts on here weren't available, right?

I understand that some might not like the sound of one speaker compared to another, but how many have actually listened to the speaker being asked about, and how many are just throwing out random opinions? And, how many have done blind listening tests without seeing what brand is on the front of the speaker and formed an opinion from there?
GoND is offline  
post #18 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Reconsider the real estate issue!

I use my Klipschorns as front mains, a center Heresy II and a pair of La Scala as surrounds. But I'm about to acquire another pairs of Heresy II to use as surrounds and will be moving one of the La Scala to center duty, jacked-up over the screen and aiming at the sweet spot. The extra La Scala will likely be used as 6th rear channel, and the single Heresy II likely retired.

Wow! Where do you sit???

You must have a larger HT room than most of us!
yobob is offline  
post #19 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

You can't show reviews like that, after all, everyone that reviews speakers online is an idiot compared to people on here!

Home Theater Magazine reviewed the RF-83 system, and talked about how there was no coloration that some thought was believed to exist with all Klipsch speakers. But, what do they know? They only have their review jobs because the experts on here weren't available, right?

I understand that some might not like the sound of one speaker compared to another, but how many have actually listened to the speaker being asked about, and how many are just throwing out random opinions? And, how many have done blind listening tests without seeing what brand is on the front of the speaker and formed an opinion from there?



It's unclear to me what it is exactly that you take exception to, GoND.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #20 of 104 Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobob View Post

Wow! Where do you sit???

You must have a larger HT room than most of us!

Not that big. About 21 feet wide by 18 feet deep, with a deeper nook in the front where I can put (hide) the TV and center speaker so they align with the wall. I sit in the sweet spot of the Klipschorns, so that's a distance of half the room width from the front wall (10.5 feet). I'm sure the THX system must rock (so to get distracted from the thread!), but I put together my heritage system from used purchases for less. So it's something to look into. As a bonus the Klipschorns don't require massive amplification.

psgcdn is offline  
post #21 of 104 Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Klipsch THX are the least bright of any speakers I have owned or tested (in house) including Def Techs. However, they seem to really need to be pushed to get the imaging and transparency. At lower volumes they do not seem to be as detailed. When pushed they are awesome. I have not tried the subs though.
RobZ is offline  
post #22 of 104 Old 10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Member
 
g0306321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

I have the complete Klipsch THX Ultra II system set up in my dedicated theater - including the dual subs and amp. In a word, they are awesome. Truly one of the best speaker systems I've heard - for BOTH movies and music. I listen to a lot of multi channel audio, and this system plays SACD and DVD-Audio better than my previous M&K S-150 system.

For movies, the system simply excels. It literally blows away most home theater systems I've heard - and I've heard many, many nice systems. The speakers aren't "bright" at all, but rather exude power, dynamics, and believe it or not, warmth.

They aren't the most attractive speakers on the market (i.e. black boxes), but Klipsch put all the money in this system where it matters most - the sound. They are still very well built, however. The cabinets are rock solid.

You can't go wrong with this system - it truly is spectacular.

Hi Bambam, may I know what A/V receivers you use to dirve your u2? Which jp brand do you recommend? thx
g0306321 is offline  
post #23 of 104 Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
GoND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post



It's unclear to me what it is exactly that you take exception to, GoND.

Oh, I was just throwing out a warning to all the Klipsch haters who typically flock in to tell the OP how horrible Klipsch speakers are because they "color" the sound and they all sound too bright. The specific speakers the OP was asking about have probably only been heard in person by a few people on this board, so I was trying to ensure those that gave their "expert" opinions were those that have heard this speaker line, as opposed to any Klipsch product.

Nothing that you said, or anyone else. Was having a bad day and was anticipating this turning into a typical Klipsch bashing thread. Glad to see that hasn't happened.
GoND is offline  
post #24 of 104 Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own this system. They are not "bright". The poster who said this does not know what he is talking about...sorry. They are extreamly musical and do not color the sound. Bass is tight, mids are crisp, and highs are airy and detailed.

This is Klipsch's flagship product and their engineers spent alot of time getting them right. Right down to the cabinet construction taken from the professional cinema line.

BTW I have owned many expensive speakers including M&K 150's, Paradigm Signature, B&W Nautilus, JMLab, Focus Audio, and Vandersteen Sigs.

For me, my speaker quest has ended at Klipsch THX UltraII.

David Barteaux is offline  
post #25 of 104 Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Duaned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: TN
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those that have this system, what are you pushing them with?
Duaned is offline  
post #26 of 104 Old 10-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
rx-8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mermaid, PE, Canada
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am still in the planning stage for my dedicated HT and I'm probably a year away from pulling the trigger. However, these are the speakers that I will be going with. When I look at my at my top 3 requirements for a speaker system (performance, price, flexibility), in my mind they just can not be beat.
rx-8 is offline  
post #27 of 104 Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ksharp4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Awesome speakers. I love mine. Funny anytime you say Klipsch people respond with bright. My only complaint is that they are made in China. For $12K I would think Klipsch could make money and make them in North America
ksharp4 is offline  
post #28 of 104 Old 12-19-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Quinta, CA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
dude, just buy something already!!!
ifor is offline  
post #29 of 104 Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Soundood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lot of folks are using a receiver to drive their Ultra 2 systems. While it works, you won't know what that system is truly capable of until you put some serious horsepower on it. I typically biamp or go 1.5x RMS (225/ch) minimum on the KL-650's and they totally open up dynamically. Remember, that system is essentially a commercial design and the commercial products are designed with high power in mind. Of all the Ultra 2 systems I've sold and put in, they have all sounded way better once we got some juice into the system.

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
Soundood is offline  
post #30 of 104 Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Klipsch Ultra II system replaced my PSB Image set. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly label these as bright. If anything, they are the opposite. I do agree that other Klipsch tend to be bright. The one thing I truly love about these is their impact. However, they seem to require or crave a bit of power. With these, I can finally forget about upgrading my speakers.
RobZ is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off