eD Owner's Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMHO - use what you have and upgrade when a) you have the funds and b) feel you are not hearing what you want out of the speakers. In general, I would say one could get away with "less" speaker at sides and/or rears, especially as an interim solution. However they may not keep up with the bigger Towers or MTMs up front. Me - I just went nuts anyway and got he 6T6 MTMs for surrounds and 5TCs for rears because I'm foolishly impulsive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM

What about the 5TC for surrounds in a really large room.
post #483 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Great thread. I'm learning a lot. Thanks.

I'm looking to upgrade my speaker from an old Sony HTiB that is cheap and muddy sounding (wall mounted speakers). I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 projecting onto a 92 inch screen, HD cable, an X-box 360, and plan to purchase a blu ray player in the next couple of months. I'm looking to purchase a new receiver (thinking of Onkyo 705). I have $1000 in the budget for speakers and subwoofer -- could go a bit higher if the value was there. No worry on the wife acceptance factor, our home theater is in the finished basement (20'x20'x8') and I don't have to consider form or style in the purchase.

The one constraint I do have is that the basement is also a play area for the kids. My son is a typical 4 1/2 year old boy and likes to run around and while he is not wild or deliberately destructive, may bump into things from time to time. For example, his favorite toy right now is a star wars light saber - and when a friend is over, they will battle it out, swinging away. I have every intent on letting my son continue to play in this way, so any system that I purchase should be either: 1) rugged and stable, or 2) wall mountable and out of reach. I am a realist, I don't expect audio/video equipment to be childproof, I'm just looking for a solution that won't leave me on pins and needles whenever my son channels Darth Vader.

I like the idea of getting the eD towers and the reviews owners in this thread have been giving have sounded good. However, I think I need something that doesn't seem "tippy" or likely to be damaged around an active boy (and his friends). I appreciate any thoughts any of you owners may have on the subject (if you have a spare light saber around, feel free to experiment! )

thanks,
Roger
post #484 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

neurorog -
I have a 3 y/o and a crazy golden retriever, so I was cognizant of this also. The 6T6 Tower Pair have a nice rugged grill - not just cloth. At about 40lbs each, they are also not lightweights either. The also have a large footprint so they are stable. I do not use the included spikes because mine are on hardwood, but the spikes on carpet might help stabilize them. Scratches to the black finish can be covered up with a sharpie if you really need to - as opposed to wood veneers.

I got a down firing A5-350 so the driver is protected and the box is virtually indestructible. And because it does not have a wonderful veneer finish, you don't have to worry about it easily scratching.

The only thing I worry about are the heavy MTMs on Sanus stands; it seems top heavy and easily "tippable." If you get those, you might want to find a more secure way of mounting them. The 5TCs are easily mounted on a ceiling or wall. I used the Sanus mounts sold at eD.

I have the Onkyo 705 and it works great BTW. I bought a refurb unit and so far no problems.
post #485 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
Corwiniii,
Thanks, that's just the type of info that I was looking for. I have a thin Home Depot type carpet in the basement, so the spikes may help there a bit for the towers. The 5TC's sound like the way to go for me for side surrounds. For the center channel, the A6-6T6 MTM looks like a good fit, but it might be a bit exposed just sitting on a stand. I may need to get a shelf unit just to protect it from the kids.
post #486 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Anyone know how long it takes to ship speaker and/or sub from order date?
post #487 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

What about the 5TC for surrounds in a really large room.

So much depends on the room and listening habits - however it could work and I've read Chris recommend that to people on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

Anyone know how long it takes to ship speaker and/or sub from order date?

If it's full-range and in stock, my experience has been a day or two. Sub - they are made-to-order, so ask eD. 6-8 weeks seems to be the norm.
post #488 of 2102 Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks Corwin. My next call will be to eD
post #489 of 2102 Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ordered my Sub 12/30/2007......

02/14/2008 Awaiting Paint

I've been Awaiting Paint for almost 2 weeks now. The wait is getting to me. To make things worse, I've sold all my old speakers, which the guy has picked up, minus the SVS sub.....He's wanting the sub! I can't be without a sub for god knows how long. Especially since I'm scheduled to have surgery March 4th..
post #490 of 2102 Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 PM

I keep hearing good things about eD and wondering what you all think about my room setup and potential selection.

I live in a condo with neighbors pretty much all around me (above, below, left and right). I have a prety open living space (L shaped) with my TV viewing area approxiametly 22x11. There is a large 13 ft opening (that extends out 16ft) to my left and to my right is all glass windows/sliding door. I have hard wood floors.

I mostly watch movies and play video games (PS3).

Since I'm in a condo I won't be able to crank the sound or pound the bass so I'm looking for nice clear/quality sound that could fill this room. I don't want large towers and I'm thinking the 6-MTM might be a little to much speaker for me at the moment.

I'm thinkinging of...
3x 5-MTM for the front stage
2xA3-5TC for surronds
A3-250 Sub (I think the 300 would be overkill for me since I can't crank it)

What do you think?
post #491 of 2102 Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubomb View Post

I keep hearing good things about eD and wondering what you all think about my room setup and potential selection.

I live in a condo with neighbors pretty much all around me (above, below, left and right). I have a prety open living space (L shaped) with my TV viewing area approxiametly 22x11. There is a large 13 ft opening (that extends out 16ft) to my left and to my right is all glass windows/sliding door. I have hard wood floors.

I mostly watch movies and play video games (PS3).

Since I'm in a condo I won't be able to crank the sound or pound the bass so I'm looking for nice clear/quality sound that could fill this room. I don't want large towers and I'm thinking the 6-MTM might be a little to much speaker for me at the moment.

I'm thinkinging of...
2xA3-5TC for surronds

What do you think?

even though u live in a condo i would recommend the towers
with those you literally dont need any sub for your purpose. They produce good low end. Im still waiting for my sub and the towers keeps me happy with the bass they have.

If not towers then 6T6 is next. Given your problem isnt budget rather then neighbors, its up to you. For sub go with the A2-300 if space not a issue. I have herd good things about this sub, even eD would recommend this over A3-250.

Since the beginning everyone told me to get a good LCR and thats what i would say for you too..

this is going my first HT setup (bose dont count ) and im definitely made the right decision choosing the eD towers.
post #492 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM

After reading everyone's opinion on Elemental Designs(ED) speakers I decided to purchase, A6-6T6 towers & A6-6T6 MTM center. My question is, I have 3 Outlaw monoblock amps for the front 3 which is rated:The Model 200 is a 200-watt (@ 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05% THD; 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05%) mono-block amplifier. The ED's are 250W @6 ohms Towers and 200W @ 6ohns center. What effect, if any, will this have on my amps? The specs say nothing about 6 oms. Am I correct in thinking if they can drive 4 ohms speaker then certainly there shouldn't be a problem driving 6 omhs since the resistance load is less?
post #493 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post

I ordered my Sub 12/30/2007......

02/14/2008 Awaiting Paint

I've been Awaiting Paint for almost 2 weeks now. The wait is getting to me. To make things worse, I've sold all my old speakers, which the guy has picked up, minus the SVS sub.....He's wanting the sub! I can't be without a sub for god knows how long. Especially since I'm scheduled to have surgery March 4th..

You should contact eD and find out the expected ship date. I own their speakers and love them, but I also waited for nearly two months for the sub and canceled the order and went with an SVS sub.

I went about 2 months without a sub, but the Towers do a good job with the Lows. Nothing like a Sub, but I enjoyed movies with my eD Towers and Center set to Large and Sub set to "None".

Tony
post #494 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've received all my other eD speakers and love them. I'm just tired of the wait....
post #495 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm thinkinging of...
2xA3-5TC for surronds

What do you think?

I love it when people want to know what I think! I'm with xblindx - get the tower pair, 6T6 MTM center, 5TCs for surrounds (or even a set of 6T6 MTMs surrounds and a set of 5TCs for rears), and at least the A2-300 sub if not something bigger.

Now, that's easy for me to say because it's not my money. However, my thoughts are that the towers will sound better at lower volumes, as will the 6T6 MTMs at center and surrounds. You say you do not want large towers, but by the time you put the MTMs on a stand they have the same footprint as a tower would...maybe a hair shorter, but they basically require the same amount of space.

You will not have to turn it up so loud to hear every morsel of sound...but you could if you wanted to! Also, who knows when you'll move; you may not have these constraints. It's not the size of the speaker, but the volume. IMHO.

Anyway, no matter what you chose I'm sure you will be happy. They're great speakers. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
post #496 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post

I've received all my other eD speakers and love them. I'm just tired of the wait....

I ordered my eD yesterday. They are aware of the time issue with the subs and trying to speed things up. Apparently the size of the paint room for the subs creates a bottleneck which should be fixed shortly. Once they do that the subs should be flying out...i hope . My speaks get here Saturday, i'm upgrading from a 6 year old Onkyo HTiB. I can't wait!
post #497 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

I love it when people want to know what I think! I'm with xblindx - get the tower pair, 6T6 MTM center, 5TCs for surrounds (or even a set of 6T6 MTMs surrounds and a set of 5TCs for rears), and at least the A2-300 sub if not something bigger.

Now, that's easy for me to say because it's not my money. However, my thoughts are that the towers will sound better at lower volumes, as will the 6T6 MTMs at center and surrounds. You say you do not want large towers, but by the time you put the MTMs on a stand they have the same footprint as a tower would...maybe a hair shorter, but they basically require the same amount of space.

You will not have to turn it up so loud to hear every morsel of sound...but you could if you wanted to! Also, who knows when you'll move; you may not have these constraints. It's not the size of the speaker, but the volume. IMHO.

Anyway, no matter what you chose I'm sure you will be happy. They're great speakers. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

You guys are killing me and spending my money... I'm now thinking of going with the towers. Don't know if the 6T6 MTM is too big and heavy for my stand (glass). I hate decisions.
post #498 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Just to add to your pain, this is what i ordered for 5.1:

1 x A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair
1 x A6 - 6T6 - MTM Single
1 x A3 - 5TC - Bookshelf Pair
1 x A5 - 350 Subwoofer (A5-350) (with amp upgrade)
post #499 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM

Jagged68

What made you go with the 5TC rather then 5MTM for surronds...wall mount options?
post #500 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You guys are killing me and spending my money... I'm now thinking of going with the towers. Don't know if the 6T6 MTM is too big and heavy for my stand (glass). I hate decisions.

Well, we're all crazy and we want you to join us. But, in the interest of money, space, and being a good neighbor, you still have to decide for yourself what works.

As far as the MTM on a glass stand - it sits on mine fine, but check the manufacturer's specs. The 6T6 MTM is 25lbs I think.
post #501 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Jagged68

What made you go with the 5TC rather then 5MTM for surronds...wall mount options?

Me telling them not to waste money unless they love throwing parties w/ 5/7 channel music.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #502 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

My damaged towers were finally picked up by fedex yesterday. I hope that the replacements come soon.

One of mine was actually cracked where the seem of the cabinet was (not just paint damage as others have had apparently). My second one was merely dented from having the spikes come loose from their bag in the box. I returned both of them since having 1 tower wouldn't do me any good anyway. It's been 7.5 weeks now since I put in my original order, and I really hope that these speakers (and sub) are worth it.
post #503 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Me telling them not to waste money unless they love throwing parties w/ 5/7 channel music.

Pretty much
post #504 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:

For those who do like having people over a lot and plan on getting the most out of our system what would you suggest having as your Rear/Surrounds?

I put in the first part of my order late Tuesday night for a 6T6 MTM Tower Pair and 6T6 Center. If I like them as much as I plan to than I will be getting matching surrounds and a sub to go with them in April.

If you have any specific suggestions for the room below as to what surrounds/sub I should be looking at I would love to hear them. The red box is the placement of my TV and the blue is where I intend on putting my speakers.

post #505 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

6T6-MTM's would work great for a 5/7 channel music environment.

Realistically though, your space would appear small enough that someone at the back of a 13' room shouldn't really be missing THAT much from music coming from 2 towers

I assume that drawing is 7.0 and not 5.2?

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #506 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccouture View Post

For those who do like having people over a lot and plan on getting the most out of our system what would you suggest having as your Rear/Surrounds?

I put in the first part of my order late Tuesday night for a 6T6 MTM Tower Pair and 6T6 Center. If I like them as much as I plan to than I will be getting matching surrounds and a sub to go with them in April.

If you have any specific suggestions for the room below as to what surrounds/sub I should be looking at I would love to hear them. The red box is the placement of my TV and the blue is where I intend on putting my speakers.

Start with easy - the rears for 7.1 should be 5TCs IMO. I would move them over the two end seats on that sofa against the back wall. They seem a bit spread apart. I'm assuming you're going to mount them. If they will be on stands, disregard.

In that tight a space I would think the 5TCs would be sufficient as surrounds on stands. There doesn't look to be a way to mount the right surround, and the left one is near a window.

You said 6T6 MTM Tower Pair - those are two different types of speakers. So, I'll assume you mean 6T6 Tower Pair - that should fill up the living and dining room well for music and audio.
post #507 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM

i dont think u need 7.1 if your seating is close to tour wall. 5.1 should sound better.
post #508 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I assume that drawing is 7.0 and not 5.2

Yep you like the MS paint skills :P I've not yet decided on where to put one of those fancy subs that you guys make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblindx View Post

i dont think u need 7.1 if your seating is close to tour wall. 5.1 should sound better.

Yeah I would defiantly move the seating up a bit from the walls if I ended up going that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

You said 6T6 MTM Tower Pair - those are two different types of speakers. So, I'll assume you mean 6T6 Tower Pair - that should fill up the living and dining room well for music and audio.

Yeah I meant the 6T6 Towers, oops

My intentions are to go 5.1 in April and if I feel the need to get two rears in May than I would. I planned on getting the 6T6 MTMs as my surrounds, but if you think the 5T5s or bookshelves are more than enough for my size room than I may change my route and save a little scratch. As for the sub I plan on getting the A3-300 with the upgraded driver. Do you think that should be adequate for this room or should I look at bigger?
post #509 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagen View Post

After reading everyone's opinion on Elemental Designs(ED) speakers I decided to purchase, A6-6T6 towers & A6-6T6 MTM center. My question is, I have 3 Outlaw monoblock amps for the front 3 which is rated:The Model 200 is a 200-watt (@ 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05% THD; 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05%) mono-block amplifier. The ED's are 250W @6 ohms Towers and 200W @ 6ohns center. What effect, if any, will this have on my amps? The specs say nothing about 6 oms. Am I correct in thinking if they can drive 4 ohms speaker then certainly there shouldn't be a problem driving 6 omhs since the resistance load is less?

Bump...
post #510 of 2102 Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

omegagen,

Yeah, as long as it's a higher resistance than the amplifiers lowest rating, you're golden. You'd probably see ~250W out of the amp as a full bore sine wave.

jccouture...5TC's absolutely in that small a room. Again, we definitely will take the extra money, but I'd prefer you get what will serve you best in the room without just spending money and in 13x13, 5TC's are really it. A3-300 w/ the 13Ov.2 should also do just fine in there.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page