eD Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2102 Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Maybe I suck at understanding it because yeah, I just pressed large and then set a crossover on ours.

Our old Pioneer was insanely confusing and it seemed like it was trying to set a 100Hz+ x-over if you set them to small...and that really sucks.

If small/large are just there to split the signal, small and then a 60~80Hz x-over point.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2102 Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
I've been using my new (3.0) 6T6 towers + 6T6 center daily for 2 or 3 weeks now. They're hooked up to a yamaha rxv-1700, and as far as I can tell, they sound great! :-)

I must admit though, I was a little surprised at the 'made in philippines' stickers (no offense to filipinos)... I thought they're made in usa? Anyway, crossing my fingers, hoping they last a while.
post #543 of 2102 Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akubi View Post

I've been using my new (3.0) 6T6 towers + 6T6 center daily for 2 or 3 weeks now. They're hooked up to a yamaha rxv-1700, and as far as I can tell, they sound great! :-)

I must admit though, I was a little surprised at the 'made in philippines' stickers (no offense to filipinos)... I thought they're made in usa? Anyway, crossing my fingers, hoping they last a while.

I think this has been answered a couple times here, but if I have this right some of the parts are from the Philipines but everything is assembled in America.
post #544 of 2102 Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM

I was told that the HT fullrange speakers were done all in Phillipines becuase it was too expensive to do the painting process here. They do all the subs in the USA though.

What does it matter if it works good? Trade makes everyone better off.
post #545 of 2102 Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonCustoms View Post

I was told that the HT fullrange speakers were done all in Phillipines becuase it was too expensive to do the painting process here. They do all the subs in the USA though.

What does it matter if it works good? Trade makes everyone better off.

Really? I've had my eD towers and center for several months now and never knew that. I thought that was the reason they were so behind on their subs was because of the speaker orders as well. Oh well, doesn't change the way I feel about their speakers. They still rock.

Tony
post #546 of 2102 Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Trying to put together a new HT/music system. Considering the 6t6 towers and matching center. I do need to have wifey's approval. Showed her the pics on the website, and quite honestly they stick. Any one out there that owns these badboys, (or perhaps Chris), have some better pictures?
post #547 of 2102 Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliekboston View Post

Trying to put together a new HT/music system. Considering the 6t6 towers and matching center. I do need to have wifey's approval. Showed her the pics on the website, and quite honestly they stick. Any one out there that owns these badboys, (or perhaps Chris), have some better pictures?

In this very thread, Layd Dly posted some good ones:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12979665

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12879806
post #548 of 2102 Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not the best, but for size comparison between the speakers with a 50" plasma, and 2 A7S-450's.

I should also mention that the towers do not have the bases mounted to them which will add around an inch height.
post #549 of 2102 Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Nice my tower replacements just got delivered. Hope these ones are damage free and I can finally have something to match my 6t6 mtm center.
post #550 of 2102 Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 PM

thanks for the pic. which center channel is that? I was hoping for a closer pic.
post #551 of 2102 Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:

thanks for the pic. which center channel is that? I was hoping for a closer pic.

Did you not check the links for pics RIGHT ABOVE that 1? They don't get much clearer or closer than those pics.
post #552 of 2102 Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

I just got in my replacement towers yesterday and was able to get them set up (thanks Alex for making the process very pain free even if it took a little bit of time). These ones arrived damage free, even though the spikes had again come loose in one of the boxes. I'd recommend eD looks into a more robust way to secure the spikes because they worked their way out of the bag in 2/4 towers I had shipped, but they only managed to damage one of them.

I promptly set up my towers and moved my former fronts to the surround position and rand Audesy on my Onkyo 605. I then played some Smashing Pumpkins MP3s (yup just an MP3) our of my PS3 and was very surprised by how good they sounded. When I have some more time maybe I'll throw on some actual CDs to get a better idea, but the even the MP3 sounded great. Very full sound and the highs were better than I expected given my experience with the 6t6 mtm center I have.

I also want to point out that this was all with a sub optimal room layout. My Right speaker is partially obscured by a couch and my left speaker is slightly (maybe 4") closer than the right one. I know it isn't great but it's the best I can do in the apartment I live in right now. I was able to compensate for a lot of the problems with EQ and gain adjustments.

The towers sounded so good though that it actually got me a little worried about my 6t6 mtm, which seems to be very lacking on the highs compared to the towers. In the context of the towers it actually sounded a little muddy. Unfortunately I'm forced into having my center channel below my TV resting horizontally with very little clearance above or below it (there is plenty of space to the left, right, and behind). It is also slightly below an ideal listening level (which would be right in the middle of my TV). I'm wondering if the muddyness of the sound could be due to the positioning of the speaker. If it is, then that's ok and I'll assume that any other speaker would be subject to the same problems. If the speaker itself is lacking or worse yet I somehow have a blown tweeter (it has been this way since it shipped and I would be very surprised if this were the case) I'd be a little worried. It never really seemed like an issue to me until I noticed how much more my towers fill out the highs than the mtm does.

What is the best way to take off the grill on these speakers? Do they just pop off. I tried getting the grill of the mtm off, but it is in an awkward place (can't get it out without removing my TV and taking the glass top off, there is a metal ring in the stand that blocks the top of the speaker but it is not in the way of any of the drivers) and I was afraid to pull at it too hard.

All that being said my immediate impression (only a couple hours of listening) is that I would strongly recommend the 6t6 towers and eD in general. The wait was long but for 500 bucks I really think it was worth it.
post #553 of 2102 Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
They all pop right off. Just little plastic nubs in little plastic holes.

Glad to hear they arrived ok. We're actually working on a re-evaluation of the way the towers are packaged, everything, including where the spikes go.

I would imagine that if you can't get the grill off your MTM without removing your TV and the top of the stand, it may be affecting how you're hearing the tweeter as it's rather near the top of the speaker. Perhaps trying it with the tweeter on the bottom would clear the tweeters line of sight and get you a bit better response from it.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #554 of 2102 Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Chris, I imagine that I could get the grill off (I can push the speaker back, and then pull forward on the grill) I was just hesitant to pull too hard. I was thinking that even if the tweeter is not directly blocked that the line of sight may be disrupted by my TV stand. The stand I have was the best I could find for fitting the 6t6 and not blocking it, but fitting a 9" speaker in a TV stand is not an easy task, most stands I saw only had 9" or more of clearance on the bottom shelf and I think that would have made the problem even worse. I think the mtm also sounded muffled before I put it in the stand, but at that point it was sitting on the ground so line of site from the speaker was pretty bad then too.

I'm hoping to find a simple way to test the tweeter (to put my fears at ease) and then look a little more carefully at the layout. In either case I've been very impressed with the towers even with 1/3 of the right one being partially blocked by a couch.
post #555 of 2102 Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

In this very thread, Layd Dly posted some good ones:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12979665

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12879806

Yup, those are mine. If you need some better ones i can try and take some more for you guys.

PSteamWiiU60

-

post #556 of 2102 Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM

I'm considering getting the 6T6 towers (along with other eD speakers) for my front L/R in a dual LCD TV/front projection screen setup. In my setup, if the L tower is on the floor, it will be partially blocked by a sofa in front of it (depending on the seating position). Also, at 40" tall, the tops of the speakers will be below the bottom of the LCD TV. There's not really anything I can do about the location of the LCD. There are no specifications listed for the speaker stands on the eD website, but I would guess they may not be able to support something like a 6T6 tower. Does anybody have any recommendations?
post #557 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 AM

You will not want to put a tower on a stand. Those towers are big and heavy at about 55lbs each. I would recommend getting some stands and the 6t6 Bookshelf speakers. The Bookshelf speakers use the same 6.5in mids and tweeters as the full size towers only there is one fewer 6.5in woofer than in the tower. Not a bad trade off for more mounting positions.
post #558 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinnj View Post

You will not want to put a tower on a stand. Those towers are big and heavy at about 55lbs each. I would recommend getting some stands and the 6t6 Bookshelf speakers. The Bookshelf speakers use the same 6.5in mids and tweeters as the full size towers only there is one fewer 6.5in woofer than in the tower. Not a bad trade off for more mounting positions.

Maybe I could just use them on the floor? The thing I'm most concerned about is having the speakers so far below the TV. The tweeters would be closer to ear level, but will having them be below the screen make for an odd viewing/listening experience?

Or maybe the bookshelves would be the better choice, paired with an A5-350.
post #559 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

I'm considering getting the 6T6 towers (along with other eD speakers) for my front L/R in a dual LCD TV/front projection screen setup. In my setup, if the L tower is on the floor, it will be partially blocked by a sofa in front of it (depending on the seating position). Also, at 40" tall, the tops of the speakers will be below the bottom of the LCD TV. There's not really anything I can do about the location of the LCD. There are no specifications listed for the speaker stands on the eD website, but I would guess they may not be able to support something like a 6T6 tower. Does anybody have any recommendations?

The stands sold by eD are Sanus stands. Specs and more info

I agree with mikeinnj - I wouldn't put them on stands. I also wouldn't mount them on the wall because of the rear vent.

I think mikeinnj meant to say the A6-6T6 MTMs, not bookshelves. The MTMs can be used on the Sanus stands no problem. The A3-5TC bookshelves are, IMHO, too small for front L/R HT setup - they make for good surrounds or great rears.

I would be more concerned with getting the center channel as close to the bottom of the TV as possible. I think you'll be OK with the towers a bit lower than the TV.
post #560 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

Maybe I could just use them on the floor? The thing I'm most concerned about is having the speakers so far below the TV. The tweeters would be closer to ear level, but will having them be below the screen make for an odd viewing/listening experience?

Or maybe the bookshelves would be the better choice, paired with an A5-350.

You could always build two small carpeted risers, one for each to the towers, to bump up their height relative to te TV.

post #561 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

How high is the TV, anyway? That seems awfully high up if they're above the towers.

If you're happy with where the TV is now, and the tops of the towers don't quite reach, go ahead and put the center speaker up level with the towers. Most people don't have the ability to have the tweeters of the 3 fronts at the same height unless they have an acoustically transparent screen, so why not go ahead and do that with your setup?
post #562 of 2102 Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:

How high is the TV, anyway? That seems awfully high up if they're above the towers.

If you're happy with where the TV is now, and the tops of the towers don't quite reach, go ahead and put the center speaker up level with the towers. Most people don't have the ability to have the tweeters of the 3 fronts at the same height unless they have an acoustically transparent screen, so why not go ahead and do that with your setup?

It's not actually so much being happy with where the TV is as there being nowhere else for it to go. It's a built-in corner "wet bar/entertainment center" in a room that really wasn't designed for an entertainment center (no blank walls at all). I'm not actually at home right now, but I believe the TV is on a standard 36" high countertop. With the TV's built-in stand, that puts the bottom of the screen above or right at the 40" height of the towers. At the moment, I've got bookshelf-style speakers to the sides (on the countertop) and a center channel directly above the TV (angled down towards the listening area).

Either the risers or the MTMs on stands could work. I'm still trying to figure out what will sound best.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
post #563 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you chose the MTMs on stands over the towers. If money is not the issue, and space is not the issue (height aside), the towers are going to sound so much better. MTMs on the tallest Sanus stands sold by eD are 51" - the Towers are 41" with the spikes. If you're overly concerned about the hight, as others have mentioned, you could just raise up the Towers 6-10". Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck.
post #564 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

I would disregard the height of the TV when placing your speakers. Just try and make the speakers in line with the listening level. One of my towers is partially obscured by a couch and I still think it sounds great. It's not ideal though I know. I think that having the towers at ear level and getting a center to as close to ear level as possible is actually a better than typical situation. I had some concerns with my center sounding muddy after playing around with the location (as much as I could) and looking at the tweeter directly I'm pretty convinced that the majority of the problem is just that it's too low and the tweeter is being blocked by the top of the shelf it's bellow.
post #565 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM

I have to get some pics up of my new eD setup. The only issue was the 6T6 center sticks out of my stand a bit due to a metal bar that i didn't take into account when i measured. Doesn't matter though since with an 18+ft viewing distance, that center needs to be strong.

I just need my sub now!!!!
post #566 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Thanks to everyone's opinion on their eD speakers, I put my first order in for a pair of towers and a center channel. In two weeks, I plan on ordering a sub and the rears. I had an Onkyo HTIB before and recently bought an Onkyo 805, so I am pretty excited.
post #567 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason32cincy View Post

Thanks to everyone's opinion on their eD speakers, I put my first order in for a pair of towers and a center channel. In two weeks, I plan on ordering a sub and the rears. I had an Onkyo HTIB before and recently bought an Onkyo 805, so I am pretty excited.

order the sub ASAP...

1 week can be diff of one month till you get your sub

its been a month now for me..havent called eD but it seems like they are working really hard to keep their customer satisfied.
post #568 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason32cincy View Post

You do know ED has package pricing, right?? Be sure to call them and get your entire plan collectively priced...

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #569 of 2102 Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

You do know ED has package pricing, right?? Be sure to call them and get your entire plan collectively priced...

Since he's ordering 3 speakers in the first shipment (a 3.0 system) and 3 speakers in the next (a 2.1 system), he'll still get the package deal on each and pay the same as if he buys them all at once. That's probably why he's not going to order the sub until he's ready to order the surround speakers.
post #570 of 2102 Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:

Since he's ordering 3 speakers in the first shipment (a 3.0 system) and 3 speakers in the next (a 2.1 system), he'll still get the package deal on each and pay the same as if he buys them all at once. That's probably why he's not going to order the sub until he's ready to order the surround speakers.

That's exactly what I did.

Thanks for the heads up on the sub. I'm still torn between a few subs and deciding what I think will work best for the room it is going in. I will definitely get my order in sooner rather than later.

First order shipped already, which is definitely very impressive. I can't wait to get thse set up.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page