AVS Forum banner

eD Owner's Thread

227K views 2K replies 329 participants last post by  jag2006 
#1 ·
 http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=2_42

After days of deliberation, I finally settled on a full set of eD home theater speakers for my room. I ordered them yesterday, they shipped the SAME day and will be here tomorrow. How is that for fast? And their shipping is FREE!

I can't believe I got a full set of 6.1 speakers including a BIG subwoofer for $1100.

I got the 6T6 3 Way Towers for the front, the new 6T6 MTM for the center, and three 5TC's for surrounds. I got the BIG A3-300, 12", 300W, 86lb sub.

I was trying to decide between these and the Infinity Betas. Amazon has some great prices for the Betas, but the shipping price kills it. I got the eDs with subwoofer for the same price as the Betas without. The only big difference I can see is the Betas center channel is 3 way and the eD is 2 way.

So, just starting a thread so others with eD can post their comments and such. I know they aren't very common speakers, but they are relatively new as well. But maybe their popularity will take off when more people start reviewing their own set. I will reply when mine come in tomorrow with my initial review.

By the way, I am replacing a set of Carver Cinema 5.2 that I have had for about 9 years which I have loved.

See less See more
#27 ·
Crash, how do you like the towers? How is the lowend? I plan on going with the 6T6 Towers and 6T6 Center as a 3.0 for a while until I can get a sub amp and build a box.

#30 ·
I was in Newton about a week ago and stopped into eD. Alex spent a lot of time with me demoing the towers and 6T6 center. I was impressed, more so than I expected to be. The 6T6 towers offer great low and midrange, while the tweets were smooth and detailed. I was equally impressed with the center. I'm currently using a Paradigm CC-370 in my set-up and have never really enjoyed it. The eD center did vocals better and had a more "gutsy" sound to it. The finish on these eD speakers is much nicer in person too. Pics don't do it justice.

Good stuff at a great price, IMO.

#32 ·
Well...i just got my a6-6t6 MTM a couple hours ago...and all i can say is wow! I went from a nice (yet entry level Harmon Kardon center) to this and its ridiculous how nice and full the sound it. Voices are crisp, yet not to bright...and the mid-ranges offer a wonderfully rich and full sound...I cannot wait to go back and watch more movies and actually hear all the dialouge hehe!! But if anyone is thinking about getting this speaker...do it. you simply will not regret it...!

I have had nothing but amazing dealings with eD...there products are amazing for the price...ill be getting a set of towers before christmas to match the center and dual 18's i just built
!

Hope this help!

Ben

#33 ·
I can't wait to get my 6T6 towers and center system going. Too bad they will just be sitting around until I can decideon/buy a receiver.

#34 ·
How is ED's Return policy? I'm liking what I've been reading on these speakers and am thinking about giving them a try opposed to the Ascends, just because I can get a 3.1 system cheaper than a 3.0 system from Ascends. I've heard the Ascend 340SEs, and like them. However, for the price, if the ED is anywhere close to the sound quality of the Ascends, I'll go for them. I would just like the option of being able to return them for a full refund (minus shipping of course) if I am not satisfied.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/12315418

How is ED's Return policy? I'm liking what I've been reading on these speakers and am thinking about giving them a try opposed to the Ascends, just because I can get a 3.1 system cheaper than a 3.0 system from Ascends. I've heard the Ascend 340SEs, and like them. However, for the price, if the ED is anywhere close to the sound quality of the Ascends, I'll go for them. I would just like the option of being able to return them for a full refund (minus shipping of course) if I am not satisfied.

When the store is open and the chat option is available you might want to ask them. I just got the 6-6t6 MTMs and a3-5tc for surrounds. I asked them about the try out period and they said that they have the 30 day option for return. I was also going back and forth between these and the ascends. The cheaper price is what the final decision was on. I have not used them much other than on my computer for mp3's and games, but I have been happy with them so far.

#36 ·
Okay, I've read all the posts in this thread. I am considering buying one of the following;

Definitive Technology

2 SM 350 – Fronts

Definitive Technology c/l/r 2002 – center

Av123

2 x-mtm Tower Loudspeaker –

1 x-cs Center

2 x-ls Bookshelf

Elemental Designes

2 eD A6 - 6T6 Towers

1 eD A6 - 6T6 - MTM Center

I have heard the Def techs but I will be buing the Avs or the eD's without hearing them. Why did you buy the eD's when there are so many tower choices out there? Also, how does the 6T6 MTM sound with the towers? What about the finish? Do they sound good with music and movies and lastly is anyone using these speakers with an Onkyo reciever? The price is right for the three speakers I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger without hearing them first.

#37 ·
I bought them without hearing because I was not interested in buying from any of the over priced local stores. So I had to pick from several online only speaker companies. eD had the best speakers for the money. While bigger isn't always better, usually with speakers it is.

The eD sizes were bigger or had more drivers than the others I was looking at, or for the same amount of drivers as others, were MUCH better priced.

While the prices do seem to be too good to be true, they really are excellent speakers for the money.

I and many others on eD's official forums, are incredibly happy with the new 6T6 MTM. It is an excellent speaker. It is an excellent center channel. And it is BIG!

#40 ·
The towers are 3 way.

I listened to some CDs on them the first night, since I didn't have any other speakers yet. They sounded good, but I really don't listen to much music in that room. So I really can't compare them to anything.

I am more in to home theater, hence all the surrounds, etc.

#42 ·
Thanks for those pics, they look even better than on the site. Those towers look sick with the covers off.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather /forum/post/12349428

Well this thread was a breeze to read through.
Hope to hear more eD owners. I'm looking into a 3.1 or 5.1 set myself. Got sucked into potentially getting a set due to the package savings, shipping included pricing, and of course....the A5-350 talk.

I talked to Alex from eD regarding the package I'm looking into. A6-6T6 Towers, A6-6T6 Center and a sub. I'd like to go with the A3-300 based on the price. However, I was contemplating the A5-350 per all the reviews. My email to Alex explained the dimensions of my room (13x19x7.5), and that I listen at reference level when watching movies (about 75dB). He stated at 75dB, both the A5-350 and the A3-300 would perform identically. Where the A5-350 will shine is at louder volumes. He stated that if I was only going 75dB, he would only go with the A5-350 if I'm prone to upgrading (get it now and save hassle). I'm not. Looking for the best bang for the buck, but if there is an obvious difference between those two subs, I'd go for the bigger. Based on what I was told, it appears that at reference level, I should be fine with the A3-300.

#45 ·
How is the finish quality on their speakers? Do they look sprayed and kinda 'rough around the edges'? Or do they look (workmanship-wise) more expensive than they are when you look up close?

Just asking because I have not seen any in person, and pics are hard to tell.

Thanks..

#47 ·
They are nice quality. They are basically painted black, very smooth. You can see the seams, but they are really smooth.

These aren't necessarily "pretty" speakers, but that's ok, because they sound great and are excellent quality.

The sub is a completely different texture than the speakers. The sub is rough, with the bed liner type material. Industrial and very tough, which is fitting for such a large sub.

Oh and nice package Potent. You will love them. And did I mention the 6T6 MTM is BIG!

#49 ·
I've had my Elemental Designs system setup for about 6 months now and I couldn't be happier:

As you can see, I'm running the 6T6 towers up front with the T5T MTM center(6T6 wasn't available when I ordered). 5TC's are doing the side surround duty and 5T5 MTM's are doing rear surround work, mounted horizontally. An A3-300 with 'O' driver is doing the heavy lifting down low. The room measures 22x11x9(2200 sq ft) with the left side opening up to the rest of the house and the speakers fill the space expertly, going louder than I want to play them with an Onkyo 605(90 watts per channel).

The system images great, totally immersing me in the movies. Music sounds great too.

One of my big concerns with purchasing my system from a relatively new Internet based company was with customer service. Would they leave me stranded once they had my money? Well, not in my experience. I just had and issue with the subwoofer that turned out being the $175 plate Amp. Some minor troubleshooting and a quick call got me a new Amp right away, under warranty.

A word about the A3-300 'K' vs. 'O' driver. I started with the K and upgraded to the O. Having heard both, it really is a no brainer. Both filled the room well, but in my system the O driver goes deeper easier(I had stuff rattling that weren't before at the same volume levels). I know alot of people are going to the A5, but I don't feel I need any more for the size room I have.

Dollar for dollar, the performance Elemental Designs' system is unbeatable in my mind. And when you take into consideration that you get a package discount and free shipping on these heavy beasties, the decision just becomes easier.

#50 ·
Great Post. I'm ordering some eD speakers and sub this week. I've posted quite a bit in the last week regarding the need of the A5-350 over the A3-300 for my room size, which is smaller than yours, and doesn't open up to any other portion of the house. I'm still on the fence. eD recommends the A5-350 because of more head room. If I had the money and time, I'd like to compare both in my room to see the difference for my needs...or rather see if there is a difference. The ~$125 extra is a big jump for me, but the physical size of the sub may be too much for my room too. I'll have to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofast /forum/post/12371779

I've had my Elemental Designs system setup for about 6 months now and I couldn't be happier:

As you can see, I'm running the 6T6 towers up front with the T5T MTM center(6T6 wasn't available when I ordered). 5TC's are doing the side surround duty and 5T5 MTM's are doing rear surround work, mounted horizontally. An A3-300 with 'O' driver is doing the heavy lifting down low. The room measures 22x11x9(2200 sq ft) with the left side opening up to the rest of the house and the speakers fill the space expertly, going louder than I want to play them with an Onkyo 605(90 watts per channel).

The system images great, totally immersing me in the movies. Music sounds great too.

One of my big concerns with purchasing my system from a relatively new Internet based company was with customer service. Would they leave me stranded once they had my money? Well, not in my experience. I just had and issue with the subwoofer that turned out being the $175 plate Amp. Some minor troubleshooting and a quick call got me a new Amp right away, under warranty.

A word about the A3-300 'K' vs. 'O' driver. I started with the K and upgraded to the O. Having heard both, it really is a no brainer. Both filled the room well, but in my system the O driver goes deeper easier(I had stuff rattling that weren't before at the same volume levels). I know alot of people are going to the A5, but I don't feel I need any more for the size room I have.

Dollar for dollar, the performance Elemental Designs' system is unbeatable in my mind. And when you take into consideration that you get a package discount and free shipping on these heavy beasties, the decision just becomes easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.