eD Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I have to echo that the 6t6 mtm is not a small speaker. At the same time I don't see the stand breaking due to the weight. My one concern would be that it might be a little unstable and you could risk it getting knocked over. If you put it in a place where it's out of the way though or somehow supported (maybe against a wall but might not be ideal acoustically) I think it might be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
They definitely work on the 31" stands but yeah, awkward and wobbly when you have one of the stands parked in your walk way between kitchen and living room in your apt.

Casey found out the hard way when his speaker took a nose dive

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #633 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

They definitely work on the 31" stands but yeah, awkward and wobbly when you have one of the stands parked in your walk way between kitchen and living room in your apt.

Casey found out the hard way when his speaker took a nose dive

And im worried about just putting my 5T5-MTM's on them. Maybe ill look into a way to secure them better. Because I'm certainly not going to drill into these beauties.
post #634 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Well, I got them ordered and also got the hourglass stand for the sub. Now comes the painful wait for the A6-6T6 MTM's and the A5-350 sub.

In the meantime, I have to figure out what stand to use for the A6-6T6 MTM with it standing on its side. Has anyone found an appropriate stand 30" or more that can handle this thing standing on its side?
post #635 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Argh, so after doing some more research into an ideal 5.1 layout, it seems I should actually have my surrounds a little bit behind my listening position angled toward me.

This actually seems like it will be better, since then I can skip the stand issue and go with a wall mount for the A6-6T6 MTM's.

Anyone had any luck wall mounting these beasts? What wall mount would be good to use and what would be the best orientation of the speaker?
post #636 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

They might be....stupid inventory levels not getting updated. Every time I try to make the inventory system better I get distracted with silly things....like shipping HT subs.

Give us a call if you need some. I'll try to go count them soon and update it though if we do have 'em.

Cool, and how do they work with the 5tCs? Like, do I have to drill them into the speaker or is there something I'm not seeing that they can clip to?

BTW these 5tCs are a lot bigger than I thought. I'll have to find some sturdy studs for these
post #637 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalheadisme View Post

Well, I got them ordered and also got the hourglass stand for the sub. Now comes the painful wait for the A6-6T6 MTM's and the A5-350 sub.

In the meantime, I have to figure out what stand to use for the A6-6T6 MTM with it standing on its side. Has anyone found an appropriate stand 30" or more that can handle this thing standing on its side?

Probably about any stand could handle them if you found a good way to stick them down to the stand. Blue tack is what was recommended to me.

I have been looking for a center channel stand for a while. I need one about 6to 8 inches tall that can tilt the speaker up. It is below my screen. So far I only saw 2 that would work but both are way to expensive. I am still in the search. The shoebox that it is on currently is driving me crazy.

I have my A6-6t6 MTMs surrounds on 31' stands. I need some blue stuff to stick them down better but the stands work fine. In my setup they are not in a place where they will get knocked about. I need to run audessey again but I am waiting for my sub still, and a new couch.
post #638 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:

How's that for a frustrating design thing you didn't realize existed.

I set the inventory to 0 so that it would also tell people in the shopping cart that they weren't in stock currently. Apparently that will automatically remove the item from the package builder.

So, while it now still says backordered and is marked with an in stock date on the web site, I've set inventory levels back above 0 so it is still available in the package builder.

Now to figure out if there's a way around that.

Hi Chris. I may be interested in ordering a set of 3 6T6 towers (for L/C/R) in the near future. The package builder and even the Full Range Speaker page don't list the towers individually (unlike the 6T6 MTMs). Is it possible to get a single tower/three towers?
post #639 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccouture View Post

Cool, and how do they work with the 5tCs? Like, do I have to drill them into the speaker or is there something I'm not seeing that they can clip to?

BTW these 5tCs are a lot bigger than I thought. I'll have to find some sturdy studs for these

Screw right into the back of them with the mounts we offer.

X-over is on the back of the terminal cup so you just screw in wherever you feel like.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #640 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

Hi Chris. I may be interested in ordering a set of 3 6T6 towers (for L/C/R) in the near future. The package builder and even the Full Range Speaker page don't list the towers individually (unlike the 6T6 MTMs). Is it possible to get a single tower/three towers?

Call for that one. It's not an item on the site, but it's something that we can offer

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #641 of 2102 Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccouture View Post

Quote:

Screw right into the back of them with the mounts we offer.

X-over is on the back of the terminal cup so you just screw in wherever you feel like.

I mentioned a little about what I did to mount them with the Sanus mounts sold at eD. I have one into a stud, and the other into just the gypsum with a molly screw. Works fine. So will most fasteners I would think.
post #642 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 01:34 AM

Elemental Designs did right by me. A little over a week of owning my A6 6t6 towers I blew a tweeter on one of them. (Most likely my own fault as I'm only powering them by my Onkyo 605 and I was blasting them for a few hours)

So I sent an email that day and within a half hour I got an email back with a number to call. After some trouble shooting they sent me out a replacement tweeter the next day. It arrived in three business days, I pop it in and everything is perfect and balanced again. Plus they didn't charge me for it.

On a side note I've been replaying some of my older Xbox 360 games after I got the full eD setup. It's like I'm playing them for the first time again. In Gears of War I never noticed each gun sounded different when reloaded, I hear enemies walk up behind me when playing Oblivion, and I've never heard so much marine dialog/background noise in Halo 3 before. The clarity absolutely amazes me, it's crazy how much I never heard on my old speakers.
post #643 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 PM

DOH! These are coming Saturday and I don't have any cables. Can anyone tell me how do speaker wires connect to the speakers? Banana plugs? or what?

A3-300
03/26/2008 Awaiting Woodshop
04/04/2008 In Paintroom
04/10/2008 In Final Assembly
04/14/2008 Shipped
post #644 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xone13 View Post

DOH! These are coming Saturday and I don't have any cables. Can anyone tell me how do speaker wires connect to the speakers? Banana plugs? or what?

Standard binding posts. I use banana plugs but you can just use straight wire if you want to.
post #645 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Can spades be used with these? I don't know if there's any difference, but it might be easier (and consistent).

And I'll ask again (guess it got lost): How musical are these? I listen to a lot of trance and heavy metal.

Thanks,
Pat
post #646 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_2501 View Post

Can spades be used with these? I don't know if there's any difference, but it might be easier (and consistent).

And I'll ask again (guess it got lost): How musical are these? I listen to a lot of trance and heavy metal.

Thanks,
Pat

Yes you can use spades. They are the standard 5-way type or whatever. Here is a blurry crappy picture:

I do not know an appropriate scale for musicality or what that even really means. I really have nothing to compare them too. Many of my friends are into louder=better setups. I have mostly used my speakers for watching movies. I like metal and some trance too but have not had a chance to listen to much yet. I watched Shoot 'em Up last night. There is a fight scene where they play Motorhead's The Ace of Spades. I was blown away; need to find a DVDA or SACD of that album.
People who don't like metal much can't get past the 'wall of sound' that overwhelms them. These speakers seem to open things up more, the wall is still daunting but you will understand the shape and weight of every stone in it. I have found that the speakers add suprising depth of detail and clarity. I was listening to the radio making myself a cocktail and some Hendrix was on. I could hear voices in the back ground, precision and accuracy in the insturments and vocals, there is so much more stuff that is there.
post #647 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Here's a pic of an A6-6T6 on a 31" stand.

Here is my center and its 'stand'

post #648 of 2102 Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 PM

LoL, look on the bright side. You could be using an upside down trashbin as a stand for your rear speakers like me I was to impatient to wait for the mounts
post #649 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 AM

Nimblor, thank you very much for your reply and picture.

What comes to my mind when "musical" is mentioned, is "are they punchy, or do they smoothly transition sound?" I guess it isn't even really a valid question, though I've heard mention of it here and there.
post #650 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:

Ok, I'm definitely sold on getting some ED's....

I was originally going for 7.1, but for my room with a couch against the back wall, I think I'd rather build a solid 5.1 system rather than a slipshod 7.1 system.

So, here's what I'm shooting for:

A6-6T6 Towers for fronts
A6-6T6 MTM center
A6-6T6 MTM surrounds (for logic 7 processing on music)
A5-350 sub with the amplifier upgrade

Here's my question... The A6-6T6 MTM surrounds will need to go onto stands, and the stands need to be about 30" high to get over the side of my couch. It would also be preferable, space-wise, to mount them on the stands sideways (tall-ways).

The 31" sanus stands on their site don't seem to be rated for their size or weight, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck using these stands for these speakers. If not, what would be good stands for the A6-6T6 MTM's, both for normal and sideways mounting? Also, is there anything I should know about mounting these sideways since they are asymmetric? Is there a preffered orientation to have the tweeter?

I can't wait to get these, even though I know I'll have to wait until May, haha. (I wanted to place the order ASAP to get myself on the waiting list)

Thanks for any help!

That is EXACTLY what I have set up at my place. I used the tall stands from eD and they work GREAT! I've now watched countless movies at, or close to, reference level, with the surrounds standing up vertically on the stands, so as to clear the back of my couch, and they haven't moved an inch.

You're going to love it!

Tom
post #651 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post

That is EXACTLY what I have set up at my place. I used the tall stands from eD and they work GREAT! I've now watched countless movies at, or close to, reference level, with the surrounds standing up vertically on the stands, so as to clear the back of my couch, and they haven't moved an inch.

You're going to love it!

Tom

Cool. I actually went with the B-Tech BT-77 wall mounts since I think it'll work best for my room, as one of the stands would be in a high traffic area.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=17529

They seem to be really nice and take away the need of having to screw into the cabinet.

Man, I can't wait to get these speakers!

On a side note, does anyone have any opinions on using an HK AVR 254 (when they come out in may) to power these?

Also, did anyone else that has an A5-350 on order get an e-mail about them having to use different parts?
post #652 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, did anyone else that has an A5-350 on order get an e-mail about them having to use different parts?

Everyone that needed an e-mail

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #653 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Yep I got the email. Still have some questions on whether I want to continue to wait on a 'faux' A5-350 with non-ED parts or switch to another sub.
post #654 of 2102 Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

Yep I got the email. Still have some questions on whether I want to continue to wait on a 'faux' A5-350 with non-ED parts or switch to another sub.

I gave a call and found out they should have the parts in by the time the A6-6T6 MTM's are available again (May 12), and since I'm also waiting on those, I opted to wait to get the eD parts.

I'm sure their alternate plans here would result in a sub with equal performance, but I just feel more comfortable getting it with the originally intended parts.
post #655 of 2102 Old 03-29-2008, 05:47 PM

I finally got the a6 6t6 towers and wasn't too happy when the fedex guy dumps the boxes on me with a huge hole in one of them

Shot at 2008-03-29
but good thing there wasn't any apparent damage.

Cool thanks to eddthemac now i can really enjoy these babies

A3-300
03/26/2008 Awaiting Woodshop
04/04/2008 In Paintroom
04/10/2008 In Final Assembly
04/14/2008 Shipped
post #656 of 2102 Old 03-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Here ya go xone13,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...tweeter&page=2

That should help you, and it's a hilarious read too.
post #657 of 2102 Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

So I'm thinking about getting these speakers in an eventually 7.1 set up. However I currently don't need or really afford it. So I was thinking I would start with a 5.1 and get the towers later. However I want to get 5t5 all around. I doubt we'll see any a6 5t5 towers, so would I be crazy to get 5t5's for fronts/rears and a 6t6 for a center?

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #658 of 2102 Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

So I'm thinking about getting these speakers in an eventually 7.1 set up. However I currently don't need or really afford it. So I was thinking I would start with a 5.1 and get the towers later. However I want to get 5t5 all around. I doubt we'll see any a6 5t5 towers, so would I be crazy to get 5t5's for fronts/rears and a 6t6 for a center?

I guess that could work temporarily, but I would try to put off something else so you can get a package deal on the towers. If you can just drop at least one speaker from your first package, you can include it in the second order and save 15% off that too (that's $75 off the towers).
post #659 of 2102 Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

I guess that could work temporarily, but I would try to put off something else so you can get a package deal on the towers. If you can just drop at least one speaker from your first package, you can include it in the second order and save 15% off that too (that's $75 off the towers).

That's kind of what I did on my order. I plan on going from 5.1 to 7.1 in the future so I ordered 3 A6-5t5 for the front and the 5tc bookshelves for rears. When I get the 6t6 towers and center I can get 1 more 5t5 at the same time, save 15% and then use the bookshelf speakers in another room or system. Even if I have to sell them I come out way ahead having ordered a package this time and a 2nd package in the future.

Still waiting on my .1 A3-300 but the 5.0 sounds pretty good in my small room. When I have more a dedicated theater/gaming room after we move and I have a basement to play in, I'll make the upgrade.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #660 of 2102 Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I never though of that. I could just got with 5t5's on all 5 channels, then when I get the towers include a single 6t6 and 5t5. I could then set up the 2 extra 5t5 in another room or garadge as decent 2.0 system.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page