eD Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2102 Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
tkdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because some AVRs don't have the LFE output. In that case you would feed it the signal coming from the main speakers and use the Sub's intern crossover.
tkdee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2102 Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

Stupid question part deux. Then why do the subs have all those extra connections in the back when you only need a single RCA cable?

I agree with what the poster mentioned above. To add, if you want the true HT experience, you hook it up with the RCA connections from the LFE of the receiver.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #723 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Crichton006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalheadisme View Post

Having ordered the same setup and waiting for the HK AVR 354 over, here, I would again suggest that route. Just listening to my towers with my current HK receiver, I have been nothing but extremely pleased. The HK sound is a great match to them.

I like Yamaha sound, but only once you get to their 1800 level receiver or better. That's the one thing that has always had me coming back to HK... their sound quality is the same from receiver to receiver, with mainly the power and features varying between models. In my opinion, they have the best-sounding mid-range receivers.

So you think that the 354 is worth the wait over the 347?
Crichton006 is offline  
post #724 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Metalheadisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crichton006 View Post

So you think that the 354 is worth the wait over the 347?

I actually have my sights on the 254, but yes, most definitely. 3 Hdmi inputs (as opposed to 2 on the 47's), decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA, upscaling to 1080p (only 720p on the 47's), and hopefully a full ironing out of some of the bugs the 47's had.
Metalheadisme is offline  
post #725 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Newbie
 
pacent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Yammy 663 receiver in. Any recommendations on what settings to use with an ED 5.1 system?

This is what I have:

A3 - 300 Sub with the updated driver
A6 - 6T6 - MTM Pair for Surrounds
A6 - 6T6 - MTM Single Center Channel
A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair for the Fronts

Thanks!
pacent is offline  
post #726 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Newbie
 
PKang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone compared these (6T6 towers and center + 5T5 surrounds) to the Athena SL system? This can be purchased for about $500 right now. Any opinions? What about the HTD level two system?
PKang is offline  
post #727 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Jagged68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I agree with what the poster mentioned above. To add, if you want the true HT experience, you hook it up with the RCA connections from the LFE of the receiver.

Can you point me to the LFE of the receiver??

Back of the Onkyo 705:
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...xs705bbbz2.jpg
Jagged68 is offline  
post #728 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
tkdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe it is the Pre Out RCA output labeled subwoofer. It looks to be purple from the image I saw of the 705 back panel.
tkdee is offline  
post #729 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
corwiniii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Haven, CT
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tkdee is correct - under PRE OUT, the Purple Subwoofer.
LL
corwiniii is offline  
post #730 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Schempp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

tkdee is correct - under PRE OUT, the Purple Subwoofer.

If you want to feel really stupid use the purple one labeled subwoofer IN

Not that I accidentally did that when hooking things back up in the listening room once and then got angry because I couldn't get the subs to turn on.

Downside to having a rack that you can barely fit your head far enough behind to just see the word subwoofer.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Chris Schempp is offline  
post #731 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
golffnutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKang View Post

Has anyone compared these (6T6 towers and center + 5T5 surrounds) to the Athena SL system? This can be purchased for about $500 right now. Any opinions? What about the HTD level two system?

Pkang are you saying the 5 ED speakers listed in your above post can be purchased for $500? If so where please, I would like to buy them?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
golffnutt is offline  
post #732 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
tkdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My guess he means that the athena SL system is about 500 bucks (I haven't actually looked). The system he has listed will cost 760.75 through the package builder.
tkdee is offline  
post #733 of 2102 Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Jagged68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

tkdee is correct - under PRE OUT, the Purple Subwoofer.

Thanks guys
Jagged68 is offline  
post #734 of 2102 Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Member
 
siksia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my 6t6 towers and the 5t5 MTM's and I have to say, "holy crap!" Man do these things sound great -- I'm just running them in straight stereo from my receiver and I can't believe how good they sound. I was blown away by how deep the towers can go.

Also -- my sub just changed status to "In Paintroom"!!! What's next? I can't wait to get it!!!
siksia is offline  
post #735 of 2102 Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Member
 
marcus91821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: raleigh
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by siksia View Post

So I got my 6t6 towers and the 5t5 MTM's and I have to say, "holy crap!" Man do these things sound great -- I'm just running them in straight stereo from my receiver and I can't believe how good they sound. I was blown away by how deep the towers can go.

Also -- my sub just changed status to "In Paintroom"!!! What's next? I can't wait to get it!!!

AHH really?! when did you order? I ordered 3/31 and im still awaiting woodshop WTF!!! lol j/k
marcus91821 is offline  
post #736 of 2102 Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Member
 
siksia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus91821 View Post

AHH really?! when did you order? I ordered 3/31 and im still awaiting woodshop WTF!!! lol j/k

I actually ordered 4/1 -- I was really surprised to see a change in status so quickly!
siksia is offline  
post #737 of 2102 Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Member
 
marcus91821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: raleigh
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by siksia View Post

I actually ordered 4/1 -- I was really surprised to see a change in status so quickly!

bah that sucks...mine is slow
marcus91821 is offline  
post #738 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Member
 
wolf83nl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered mine on the 1st as well but still awaiting woodshop as of today. I got an email saying my center channel 6t6 would not be ready to ship till mid may
wolf83nl is offline  
post #739 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SirDrexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel lucky to have ordered this stuff when I did, several weeks ago. My eD speakers shipped in a few days, and so did my SVS sub (they're having supply issues too).
SirDrexl is offline  
post #740 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Member
 
T-Dubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received two 6T6 towers, and I've got a 6T6 MTM single back ordered until May. The towers are being driven by my new Onkyo SR705, and they make my heart sing.

That said, I've got a question about where I'm going to have to put my MTM when it shows up. Because of the layout of my apt, and the fact that I'm using a projector setup, the center is going to have to be mounted off of the ceiling just above my screen. With a good downward angle, is that sort of placement going to noticeably degrade the quality/purpose of a center channel?
T-Dubs is offline  
post #741 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Nimblor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Uranus
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post

I just received two 6T6 towers, and I've got a 6T6 MTM single back ordered until May. The towers are being driven by my new Onkyo SR705, and they make my heart sing.

That said, I've got a question about where I'm going to have to put my MTM when it shows up. Because of the layout of my apt, and the fact that I'm using a projector setup, the center is going to have to be mounted off of the ceiling just above my screen. With a good downward angle, is that sort of placement going to noticeably degrade the quality/purpose of a center channel?

I think that you will be in good shape. I am in a similar situation with a projection setup but I have my 6T6-MTM center below the front of the screen angled up. It works great. Dialogue is clear and sound blends well with the 6T6 towers on the right and left providing a robust and even sound. Please let me know what kind of mounting system you come up with for your center. I desperatley need one for my floor.
Nimblor is offline  
post #742 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Member
 
snooz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Been debating about going with eD, AV123 or SVS. I need bookshelf speakers for my setup. I'd like a strong center speaker no matter what. How is the 6T6 as a center? And what's the difference between the 5t5 and 6t6? I noticed the package builder defaults to a 5t5 for a center speaker instead of 6t6...
snooz123 is offline  
post #743 of 2102 Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Member
 
DaveOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooz123 View Post

Hi all,

Been debating about going with eD, AV123 or SVS. I need bookshelf speakers for my setup. I'd like a strong center speaker no matter what. How is the 6T6 as a center? And what's the difference between the 5t5 and 6t6? I noticed the package builder defaults to a 5t5 for a center speaker instead of 6t6...

I believe it defaults to that because the 6t6 was listed as out of stock.
DaveOP is offline  
post #744 of 2102 Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Schempp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post

I believe it defaults to that because the 6t6 was listed as out of stock.

Because it was added first to the system. Lower product id #

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Chris Schempp is offline  
post #745 of 2102 Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
jasonvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Because it was added first to the system. Lower product id #

I was going to guess something equally are simple - alphabetic ordering - 5 is before 6

jasonvr is offline  
post #746 of 2102 Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
PKang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ha. Ended up going with the 6T6 towers, 6T6 center, and 5T5 surrounds. Will be getting a MFW-15 for it as well. I've been living with TV speakers for about a year now, had a JVC HTIB before that. I'm pretty excited. I got the towers and surrounds yesterday, one of them was damaged so I need to get it replaced.

Actually while I was researching the MFW buyer's remorse + upgraditis set in and I started to wonder if I should return the eD speakers and get a set with x-mtm fronts that they have a sale on, but apparently eD charges a 25% restocking fee, in addition to return shipping. I'd seen many times before people saying that you can return and just be out shipping charges, but this is not the case. I was actually surprised. The information is sort of hidden on their website in the document explaining the warranty: I think whoever wrote it must have been having a bad day . They explain it by saying that they have rock-bottom pricing (probably true) and have been through many unsavory experiences, but 25% seems a little excessive.

Needless to say, I didn't want the AV123 speakers THAT much, so I will keep the eDs.

One funny thing: the fedex tracking information says that it was signed for by P.ORCH .
PKang is offline  
post #747 of 2102 Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Jagged68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooz123 View Post

Hi all,

Been debating about going with eD, AV123 or SVS. I need bookshelf speakers for my setup. I'd like a strong center speaker no matter what. How is the 6T6 as a center? And what's the difference between the 5t5 and 6t6? I noticed the package builder defaults to a 5t5 for a center speaker instead of 6t6...

I needed a strong center and went with the 6T6. Make sure you have room for it b/c it is big. However the sound is amazing. I don't have the best hearing and dialogue can sometimes be hard for me, but I haven't had a single issue with the 6T6.
Jagged68 is offline  
post #748 of 2102 Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKang View Post

Ha. Ended up going with the 6T6 towers, 6T6 center, and 5T5 surrounds. Will be getting a MFW-15 for it as well. I've been living with TV speakers for about a year now, had a JVC HTIB before that. I'm pretty excited. I got the towers and surrounds yesterday, one of them was damaged so I need to get it replaced.

Actually while I was researching the MFW buyer's remorse + upgraditis set in and I started to wonder if I should return the eD speakers and get a set with x-mtm fronts that they have a sale on, but apparently eD charges a 25% restocking fee, in addition to return shipping. I'd seen many times before people saying that you can return and just be out shipping charges, but this is not the case. I was actually surprised. The information is sort of hidden on their website in the document explaining the warranty: I think whoever wrote it must have been having a bad day . They explain it by saying that they have rock-bottom pricing (probably true) and have been through many unsavory experiences, but 25% seems a little excessive.

Needless to say, I didn't want the AV123 speakers THAT much, so I will keep the eDs.

One funny thing: the fedex tracking information says that it was signed for by P.ORCH .


Well, it's your fault because you made a silly decision to try and return such an incredible product Joking with you of course. Joking aside, these speakers are amazing and although I never heard those 'other' speakers, I've heard MANY speakers that cost 3x what I paid for the eD and they don't come close. My buddy has really nice JM Labs speakers, and when he heard my eD, the gears began turning in his head. Everyone who has heard my eD speakers (all AV nuts) have been nothing less than amazed.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #749 of 2102 Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Member
 
jccouture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKang View Post

Actually while I was researching the MFW buyer's remorse + upgraditis set in and I started to wonder if I should return the eD speakers and get a set with x-mtm fronts that they have a sale on, but apparently eD charges a 25% restocking fee, in addition to return shipping.

....

They explain it by saying that they have rock-bottom pricing (probably true) and have been through many unsavory experiences, but 25% seems a little excessive.

25% Isn't that outrageous for something like this really. Realize that they probably have a miniscule profit margin on these. All just to bring their prices low enough to take business from competition. Every time they have to take an item back they lose the money from the "Free Shipping" permanetly. Then you also have to take in account the fact that the item will most likely not be able to be sold as new again without going through a detailed inspection. Which of course would cost labor hours to be spent on doing such, which in turn will slow production of new products. All in all it's not unrealistic to assume that 25% would be only enough to break even.
jccouture is offline  
post #750 of 2102 Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Member
 
siksia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the sub forum, but thought it made sense over here too since I've been posting status updates on my new system.

----------

Well I just had the most amazing experience chatting with Chris. I had been bugging them for the past few days as my A3-300 had been marked as being in the paintroom for the last week. I get into the chat and the first words I see are:

Quote:


Sales Department: Yes, it came out of paint, but no shipping until Monday for proper cure time

I had to laugh.

Then as we continue to talk, he says "Hey want to hear something fun?" And he proceeds to tell me that a spot opened up and my sub was being loaded onto the truck as we speak.

I just can't praise these guys highly enough -- this has definitely been one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. I will not hesitate to recommend ED to anyone.
siksia is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off