eD Owner's Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 2102 Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 380

Alex said the grills should be shipped next week, they cover the driver only leaving the ports and horn exposed, I think that will look nicer.

They sound great on both movies and music, I was afraid I would miss my Maggies for music but I don't think I am going to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2102 Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Alex said the grills should be shipped next week, they cover the driver only leaving the ports and horn exposed, I think that will look nicer.

They sound great on both movies and music, I was afraid I would miss my Maggies for music but I don't think I am going to.

Nice looking room. I would like to hear a set of ED's. I think they are a good looking HT speaker.
post #1653 of 2102 Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

I just sold my Magnepans today and went ahead and bought the eD cinema 6" for rears.
post #1654 of 2102 Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Thanks!

I just sold my Magnepans today and went ahead and bought the eD cinema 6" for rears.

Good info to know. I know what both sound like but have not heard the Maggies in years. I just remember me saying if they had more dynamics they would be keepers. The eD's I had also were great and had dynamics. I am glad you like them. I set my friends place up similar to yours with sealed triple 8's standing on top of his Caps. His center triple 8LP is in his cabinet. I am trying to convince him of 4 more 888's for his surrounds for a balanced system. Great job and enjoy!
post #1655 of 2102 Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Good info to know. I know what both sound like but have not heard the Maggies in years. I just remember me saying if they had more dynamics they would be keepers. The eD's I had also were great and had dynamics. I am glad you like them. I set my friends place up similar to yours with sealed triple 8's standing on top of his Caps. His center triple 8LP is in his cabinet. I am trying to convince him of 4 more 888's for his surrounds for a balanced system. Great job and enjoy!

Thanks MK! Yeah, the eD's are great, you steered me right.

I bet your buddy's setup sounds awesome, I would have gone JTR if I had the funds but I really don't know if I'm missing anything.

I fired up the Maggies one last time for the guy who bought them and they do have the edge with music, but it's slight in my opinion and you have to be sitting and in the sweet spot or close to it.

The eD's sound great all over the room for music and of course they wipe the floor with the Maggies for HT. I will miss the Maggies, but I have no regrets. These eD's absolutely stomp the Axiom setup I used to have. Those speakers hurt my ears even when the music was around 80db, so harsh.

Check out the last couple of pages of the Captivator thread, quite a bit of talk about the eD's I bought.
post #1656 of 2102 Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

These eD's absolutely stomp the Axiom setup I used to have. Those speakers hurt my ears even when the music was around 80db, so harsh.

yup ditched the entire line of axiom for some CHT's never looked back. Try explaining that to the axiom fan board lol.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #1657 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Carp, that is a really sweet setup. I have been saving up to get some eD's, but I am trying to decide whether I should go with 3 cinema 6's across the front or what you have. I would love to get the 12's for the added midbass, but I think in my 11x20 room they may be overkill. Just for the sake of comparing, how big is the room you have you equipment in.
post #1658 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

yup ditched the entire line of axiom for some CHT's never looked back. Try explaining that to the axiom fan board lol.

I never had a problem with Axioms for movies/tv, they did ok with that. Music though, just never sounded right and I tried different placements, eq, acoustic panels, etc. and nothing worked.

Strange thing is I have a pair of M3's in the kitchen that I've used for years and they sound just fine with music. Could be my basement room doesn't work well with the Axiom sound.
post #1659 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 31
Well for us the axioms didn't AB well against the A series eD's, but really had to go once I installed the first dts-10 sub. Things have never been the same until the CHT's went in and could keep up. Finally could turn the monster back up a little.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #1660 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks!

How have the eD-6's served as rears so far?

I've got 3 12's for the fronts (/w DE250) and I'm about to place an order for rears ... I'm planning on going the 12's route for the back as well, but the cheaper price of the 6's are enticing.

The dual Caps are next after the rears ...

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
post #1661 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Carp, that is a really sweet setup. I have been saving up to get some eD's, but I am trying to decide whether I should go with 3 cinema 6's across the front or what you have. I would love to get the 12's for the added midbass, but I think in my 11x20 room they may be overkill. Just for the sake of comparing, how big is the room you have you equipment in.

Thanks!

My room is 17 feet wide, 23 feet long.

If I could I would have all 12's up front. I don't have room for the center. The 12's just have more "presence" and really take over the room. Having said that I really do like how the center sounds and it seems to blend well.

Hmmm... if I get a chance tonight I'll switch one of my mains with the center and fire up a movie and let you know if it makes a big difference.
post #1662 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

I've got 3 12's for the fronts (/w DE250) and I'm about to place an order for rears ... I'm planning on going the 12's route for the back as well, but the cheaper price of the 6's are enticing.

I don't have them yet, just ordered yesterday and supposed to ship by the end of the week.

Dual Caps, hell yeah!!!! You are going to love those subs.
post #1663 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

If I could I would have all 12's up front. I don't have room for the center. The 12's just have more "presence" and really take over the room. Having said that I really do like how the center sounds and it seems to blend well.

Hmmm... if I get a chance tonight I'll switch one of my mains with the center and fire up a movie and let you know if it makes a big difference.

Which Caps are you getting?
post #1664 of 2102 Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I don't have them yet, just ordered yesterday and supposed to ship by the end of the week.

Dual Caps, hell yeah!!!! You are going to love those subs.

lol ... I have a single Epik Empire now, and I'm looking to go in a different direction ..

The size of the 6's would be more space-friendly, but I like the idea of a uniform speaker all the way around ... Of course, any cost savings over the 12 would be put towards some kind of room correction kit (Anti-Mode / SMS) ... food for thought ...

post #1665 of 2102 Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Let me know if how it sounds when you do the switch. I would be interested in hearing your comparison.
post #1666 of 2102 Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Scrap the the 6's idea

I placed the order for the other 2 12 rears yesterday with Alex ...

I was told 1 1/2 - 2 weeks until delivery...

We'll see.

I was playing the game Dark Souls last night with my Brother-In-Law, and he was saying "It sounds like the dragon is here in the living room!!"

post #1667 of 2102 Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Scrap the the 6's idea

We'll see.

I was playing the game Dark Souls last night with my Brother-In-Law, and he was saying "It sounds like the dragon is here in the living room!!"

Dark Souls with my DL set up is pretty insane. Having the bookshelves for rear speakers is intense.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #1668 of 2102 Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Scrap the the 6's idea

We'll see.

These might be my surrounds.

post #1669 of 2102 Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Scrap the the 6's idea

We'll see.

Oh please tell me your willing to demo your setup. I am in north Dallas and I think your the closest to me with these speakers.
post #1670 of 2102 Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Oh please tell me your willing to demo your setup. I am in north Dallas and I think your the closest to me with these speakers.

Sure .. You're welcome too ... Let me get the rear 12's first and we'll set something up!

post #1671 of 2102 Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Sure .. You're welcome too ... Let me get the rear 12's first and we'll set something up!

Thank you so much! I look forward to it.
post #1672 of 2102 Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

cinema 12 towers.
post #1673 of 2102 Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Thanks for the reply. Let me know if how it sounds when you do the switch. I would be interested in hearing your comparison.

Ok, I finally got around to switching the center with one of the mains. I wish I hadn't, the 12 sounds so good as a center, even on it's side laying on the floor slightly tilted up.

The dynamics are noticeably better and I don't have to have the center channel volume bumped 3 db's like I normally do with centers.

Damn. I just sent Alex an email, I think I'm going to want to make a switch.
post #1674 of 2102 Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I finally got around to switching the center with one of the mains. I wish I hadn't, the 12 sounds so good as a center, even on it's side laying on the floor slightly tilted up.

The dynamics are noticeably better and I don't have to have the center channel volume bumped 3 db's like I normally do with centers.

Lcr config sounds good huh? Lol
post #1675 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the follow up Carp, now my decision had been made a little tougher.
post #1676 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:

That's the way I went as well. I had Alex build me a custom 12 laid out horizontally .. The thing is a beast, but I feel I made the right decision ...

post #1677 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's the way I went as well. I had Alex build me a custom 12 laid out horizontally .. The thing is a beast, but I feel I made the right decision ...
I know this may be subjective, but the layout of my future room is L-shaped with my equipment being at the end of the "L". That section is 10-1/2 x 20 x 6-1/2 and I have been debating on whether to get 3-eD[c]12's or 3-eD[c]6's for my front soundstage. Would the 12's be over kill for this or would you think the added mid-bass would warrant the upgrade.

I have attached a sketch of my room and I will be putting the front soundstage on the wall that has the 10'6" measurement on it.

room sketch 7-14-11.pdf 56.4658203125k . file
post #1678 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did he do it? Does it look any different than the cinema 12? How much did it cost? thanks!!
post #1679 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did he do it? Does it look any different than the cinema 12? How much did it cost? thanks!!

There is pic somewhere, but I do not remeber if it is on this forum or on ed's forum. Basically what he did was turn the box on its side, flip the tweeter over and put the ports below the tweeter.
post #1680 of 2102 Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page