Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrixx View Post

I think I'm about ready to order. Here is what I'm planning:

A6-6T6 Towers Mains
A6-6T6 MTM Center
A3-5TC Rears
A3-300 Sub with 130v.2 (already ordered)

I have to stick with the A3-5TC for rears. They must be small and wall mountable (WAF). I am only 3 feet from the back wall so I don't see this being a problem. What do you think?

That is almost the same setup I run. Only difference is I will be running my own DIY A2-300. Vacation has put a hold on that. (for now its a Dayton SUB80 with the driver swapped out for an eD EHQS 8", which is an improvement!) The rest sounds incredible on movies. I really want to add another pair of A3-5TC's for 7.1! That setup combined with DD+/TrueHD puts a smile on my face.

My complaint is that my apartment is far from sound proof and I can't listen nearly as loud as I'd like. Basically, $5000 in a HT and I can't fully enjoy it, so depressing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2102 Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will my HK AVR 435 be able to push this setup?
post #153 of 2102 Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Mine is ran off a Denon 1908 and it seems enough for me. I'd like to hear the towers off more, but I don't have an extra amp laying around. Only thing I think lacks is midbass from towers as I mentioned above. I'm. not sure if my setup has an issue or I was expecting too much. Maybe more power would help, I have no idea. I read a post on eD's forum saying that in the eD demo room they only power the whole setup with a receiver. I think, at the time, it was a Yamaha, not sure though.

I'm sure most people are running systems off only receivers, and not separate amps for each channel. Some obviously do though.
post #154 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Does anything think my kids (3 & 5 year old girls) will knock the towers over? They would be going in the Family Room and my kids play in there most of the day. I don't want to chance them falling on my kids. I am thinking 11"x12" and 55 lbs. should be sturdy. What do you think?

My son is 7 and knows full well you don't play around, around the equipment. :shrug:

Tom
post #155 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:

I think I'm about ready to order. Here is what I'm planning:

A6-6T6 Towers Mains
A6-6T6 MTM Center
A3-5TC Rears
A3-300 Sub with 130v.2 (already ordered)

I have to stick with the A3-5TC for rears. They must be small and wall mountable (WAF). I am only 3 feet from the back wall so I don't see this being a problem. What do you think?

As far as your front 3 channels, I assure you, you will not be dissapointed. The rest? I can't comment, as I did 6T6 throughout. I LOVE my setup. But the towers are AMAZING. I will update more once my A5-350 arrives. *evil grin*

Tom
post #156 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:

I know nothing about the Denon, but mine sounded great off of my Onkyo 505 until I got my 805.

Tom
post #157 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
So how are people enjoying their ED speakers after having some time with them? I currently have a klipsch rf system I am pleased with but some music and theater is a little too harsh (while other material is perfect). I am trying to build a second system in another room and I am hearing the ED speakers are warmer and more laid back. It seems like that might be the perfect compliment to my klipsch system as I could have the best of both worlds for different types of music.

If you had it to do again would you still buy the ED's or have you had any second thoughts? I was going to go smaller and more "hidden" with my second system but would prefer to get big sound on a budget.
post #158 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

After two months, I still love them. Big sound, fills the room. Warm and mellow, in my opinion. I have no regrets.

I love to try new things, so I ofter wonder what it would have been like to go with something else, but I always go back to the price. I don't think I could have found a better set of speakers for the money.
post #159 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

So how are people enjoying their ED speakers after having some time with them? I currently have a klipsch rf system I am pleased with but some music and theater is a little too harsh (while other material is perfect). I am trying to build a second system in another room and I am hearing the ED speakers are warmer and more laid back. It seems like that might be the perfect compliment to my klipsch system as I could have the best of both worlds for different types of music.

If you had it to do again would you still buy the ED's or have you had any second thoughts? I was going to go smaller and more "hidden" with my second system but would prefer to get big sound on a budget.

My Infinity Speakers were Harsh and gave me a headache each time I watched a movie. I'm in LOVE with my eD towers and center speaker. Very mellow and laid back. I smile each time I watch a movie. I honestly don't think you can find a speaker this nice for this price. I've tried Ascends, and although nice, and I liked them, I like the eD better. And, they were less expensive.

Tony
post #160 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The First pic is with the box initially open. Thick styrofoam protecting the speaker.

The Second pic is with the strofoam out of the box and the speaker wrapped in plastic. Notice the Ropes around the speaker. Their is wood at the bottom of the box the ropes are tied to. Their is styrofoam glued to the wood so it does not harm the back of the speaker. Easiest thing I've ever removed from a carton. I thought I took pictures of the box after the speaker was removed, but I didn't. Lots of styrofoam under the speaker.

Tony
post #161 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

A6-6T6 Tower With Grill On

A6-6T6 Tower With Grill Off

A6-6T6 MTM Center with Grill On

A6-6T6 MTM Center with Grill Off

Tony
post #162 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the front of my room with the eD speakers. Sorry for the dark pic.

Here is the back of my HT room. I have some Polk Bookshelf speakers acting as my surrounds and backs.

Tony
post #163 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Tony, what are your thoughts on the MTM? Im think about using all 3 MTM for a frontstage. I should just drive an hour south (im in parkersburg ) and listen to yours haha.
post #164 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Tony, your room looks great!!!!!
Congrats.
post #165 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

Tony, what are your thoughts on the MTM? Im think about using all 3 MTM for a frontstage. I should just drive an hour south (im in parkersburg ) and listen to yours haha.

The A6-6T6 MTM Center sounds GREAT in my opinion. With a sub, I would think three MTMs would be just fine. I've been listening without a sub for now (A5-350 waiting woodshop), and the amount of bass from the towers is nice. I'd expect the bass not to be as good through the MTMs, but if you have a sub, running all speakers to small with the crossover around 80Hz, I wouldn't think there to be a huge difference.

Let me know if you want to check them out sometime. I have a buddy in Fairplane and a buddy in Ravenswood and we get together about once a month at each other's house for a movie night.

Tony
post #166 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashX View Post

Tony, your room looks great!!!!!
Congrats.

Thanks. Work is never done on it. It's definitely a BUDGET theater. DIY screen, 720p PJ, cheap $195 Berkline recliners that Best Buy sold a couple years back. I really like it and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Just watched the Patriots record breaking game in HD on it last night.

By the way, the screen is 100" diagonal 16:9 (roughly 7' across) if that gives anyone a better judgement on the size of the center speaker.

Tony
post #167 of 2102 Old 12-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Liked: 33
Keeping my eye on eD as well. I've dug up as much as I could from the Internet. Yeah i've been out of audio for 10yrs, I get bored in the desert, and was interested. After all the hundreds of countless pages of internet jargon, I sum it up to lots of negativity in the early stages. Thats how it is when your a new guy on the block. I salute eD for continuing to make their products, and diversifying into the HT market.
Due to my job i'm at no stage of buying, but whevever I get back these look like a nice addition.
My thoughts of 7.1
3x A6-6T6 Towers
4x A6-6T6 MTMs
A7-700

Since they also carry pro amps, I'd be able to get 4 crown xls202D. Ah well, back to work.

Happy New Year!

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #168 of 2102 Old 12-31-2007, 04:56 AM

Too bad I missed the sale. How much did the prices go up?

Also, do they ship to APO addresses?

EDIT: Any one have eD's email address?
post #169 of 2102 Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

There was no sale. Prices on the Subs go up tomorrow. You can still order today and get the current Sub prices. If you order speakers and sub, you get a 15% package discount on your entire order.

Tony
post #170 of 2102 Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM

Just completed my order this morning.

A6-6T6 Towers Mains
A6-6T6 MTM Center
A3-5TC Rears
A3-300 Sub with 130v.2
post #171 of 2102 Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM

I have a question for everyone running the 6T6 Towers. What is your crossover set to? Do you have the mains set to large or small?
post #172 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question for everyone running the 6T6 Towers. What is your crossover set to? Do you have the mains set to large or small?

Currently, I don't have my sub, so they are running LARGE with Subwoofer = No. They sound really good. eD recommends (when using their subs with their speakers) to use a crossover around 60 or 70Hz. When I receive my Sub, Towers = Small, Sub = On, Crossover = 60Hz. I'll try 70Hz as well and see which I like.

Tony
post #173 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadux View Post

VictoriousOne,

due to space issue within my built in entertainment center, I'm considering running the 5T5 MTMs for the L/C/R. Want to know your opinions on this and if you regret not getting the 6t6? Of course my room is quite large 17x27 and opened to the dining and kitchen. Thx.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. The speakers sound good, but a lil "hollow", for lack of a better term. If I had the money, I would definitely step up to a 6T6 front stage.
post #174 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Tony--great looking room! What did you do on the ceiling?

Thanks for all who have posted their impressions of the eD full-range (esp. 6T6s)! Mine are shipping today on FEDEX (crossing my fingers for no damage)...

Anyone care to post their "reivews" of these in comparison with other brands they've owned or demo'd?

Enjoy the New Year!

creative>energy

post #175 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Currently, I don't have my sub, so they are running LARGE with Subwoofer = No. They sound really good. eD recommends (when using their subs with their speakers) to use a crossover around 60 or 70Hz. When I receive my Sub, Towers = Small, Sub = On, Crossover = 60Hz. I'll try 70Hz as well and see which I like.

I was just about to ask the question about where your crossovers are set. My order for the 6T6 towers & center, 5T5 surrounds, and A5-350 was placed on Monday. I'm looking at an ETA of mid February. In the mean time I have to order my receiver and build or buy some panels.
post #176 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

What are people's thoughts on the Tower pairs versus the 6t6 MTM's? Is there a major difference in sound quality at mid volumes? I've been looking at the eD speakers for a few months. I currently have only a pair of Bose 301's in a stereo setup with an Onkyo 605. My original plan was to get 4 5tC's for surrounds and rears, a 5t5 for a center, and a A2-250 sub keeping the 301's as L/R. Then I went to getting 2 5t5s for surrounds, a 5t5 or 6t6 for a center, and an A2-300 or A3-250 for a sub (which would people recommend by the way?), keeping the 301s as L/R and skipping the rears. Now I'm starting to consider getting 2 6t6's or a tower pair for L/R, a 6t6 for the center, maybe an A3-300 for a sub, and moving the 301's to the surrounds since they are almost like a dipole speaker anyway, and skipping the rears.

It's strange how your budget seems to expand the longer you research.

Basically what I want to know is are the tower pairs worth it over the 6t6 mtms, is the A3-300 worth the upgrade over either the A2-300 or A3-250 (or even the A2-250) and out of the later two which is better.

My room is about 15x15 with carpet, and a normal ~9' ceiling, but I won't be in this apartment forever. It is also open on one end to a kitchen, small hallway, and entryway.
post #177 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I would love to know this as well. If you are using a fantastic sub, which the ED is by all accounts...I wonder how much the tower is gaining you over the bookshelf version if anything. I just cancelled my order for now because i am wrestling over the same question.
post #178 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Tony--great looking room! What did you do on the ceiling?

Thanks for all who have posted their impressions of the eD full-range (esp. 6T6s)! Mine are shipping today on FEDEX (crossing my fingers for no damage)...

Anyone care to post their "reivews" of these in comparison with other brands they've owned or demo'd?

Enjoy the New Year!

Thanks!!

The ceiling is a Black Drop Ceiling. I'm lucky to have a great distributor 2 minutes from where I work in Charleston, WV. They are called Charleston Acoustic Supply Company. They have some AMAZING drop ceiling tiles. I was able to get the Black rails for the same price as white rails from Lowes/HD. The tiles are 2'x2' Drywall Tiles covered in really nice Vinyl that's easy to paint and clean up. It gives it a textured look. I painted them black. They have other really nice tile, but this is what I wanted for the room. I still need to add some absorption material on the ceiling for reflections. I installed panels on the side walls at the first reflection points, but not the ceiling. I chose the heavier drywall tiles to help contain the sound from going upstairs. I'm glad I did as it looks nice. From the front wall to the about the riser, the ceiling is around 7'8". Then, to get underneath a steel beam and duct work, I had to drop the ceiling lower, and being that the riser is there, I only have about 6'2" clearance the back 7' of the room.

Tony
post #179 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

I would love to know this as well. If you are using a fantastic sub, which the ED is by all accounts...I wonder how much the tower is gaining you over the bookshelf version if anything. I just cancelled my order for now because i am wrestling over the same question.

I wondered the same thing. Still wondering to be honest. But, I really love the sound of the Towers. I've always had towers, so I went with them based on habit, looks and the price was cheaper than bookshelves from other companies. Not sure I gained anything over the Bookshelf speakers when running them at SMALL, but I'd assume since they are 3-way, it would help??? If you can afford the Shipping Costs, you can try out 3 of the MTMs and see what you think. If you like them, that's what counts. If you don't, you can ship the mains back and upgrade to Towers.

Tony
post #180 of 2102 Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriousOne View Post

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. The speakers sound good, but a lil "hollow", for lack of a better term. If I had the money, I would definitely step up to a 6T6 front stage.

"Hollow" is definitely not the word I'd use. I found them to be very "Laid Back" and "Mellow" with a lot more dynamics than my previous Infinity Towers. My Infinity Speakers were very 'harsh', to the point of ear fatigue by the end of a 2 hour movie. The A6-6T6 Towers are very dynamic and mellow IMO.

What receiver are you using? You running it with a sub or without? If without, do you have your receiver set to Large for the Mains? Also, remember that speakers need some burn in time before they sound their best. But even with no burn in, Hollow was not the adjective I'd use. Could also have to do with the placement, positioning and room acoustics. Is your room treated at all?

Tony
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page