Bose sub woofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how do these bose sub woofer sound?...just the sub woofer...http://modems.pinkbegemot.ru/p/74/im...-use-black.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM

goes as low as my mains... its a piece of junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude
I will never live in an apartment again below someone else, unless they're ninjas. ;)
post #3 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Liked: 15
That is not a subwoofer. It is an Acoustimass "bass module." Bose does not make subwoofers. Neither do they make speakers. They are a marketing company.
post #4 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

whats the differnece between a bass module and sub woofer?...for $80
post #5 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Bose makes a subwoofer?

Jeff-
post #6 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

alright, so this would be a good buy for 80 bucks
post #7 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Not so sure.

IINM, the signal for the mains runs THRU the bass module/"sub-woofer." Internal crossover?

Probably works best/only for the Bose "mains."
post #8 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It sounds like a girl yelling through a crappy vocoder!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #9 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichddvd View Post

alright, so this would be a good buy for 80 bucks

Most certainly not.

What is it you are trying to do? The bass module is part of their acoustimass speaker system, and both the cube speakers and the bass module must be used together. It is not a subwoofer, but basically their attempt to create some semblance of bass to fill in where the small cubes leave off. You could use a subwoofer with the Bose system, but why one would want to use the Bose system to begin with is beyond me.

For roughly 100 bucks you have legitimate subwoofer options from parts express and others that are competent subwoofers, and not a horrible band-pass enclosure excuse for a "bass module" that Bose makes. Ick.
post #10 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Why is it not a good deal? It's very simple math really.

Bose = Sh!t

Amplifier + Bose = Loud Sh!t

Bose + 80 bucks = ****** Deal

People who like Bose + Bose = Dumb Sh!t

Bose + Headphones = Sh!t Head
post #11 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega78 View Post

Why is it not a good deal? It's very simple math really.

Bose = Sh!t

Amplifier + Bose = Loud Sh!t

Bose + 80 bucks = ****** Deal

People who like Bose + Bose = Dumb Sh!t

Bose + Headphones = Sh!t Head

lol holy sh!t, that post made my day.

Bose makes nice stuff for decor conscientious folks, folks that don't really care about the quality of their audio. If you want even marginally good sound quality you need to stay way from Bose.

Jeff-
post #12 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Bose sub (module) as others have stated needs the cubes to complete it's self.

As for the quality of the sub it has the bass equal to a cheap HTIB.

Bose systems in general do sound pretty good to the average consumer but if you were to seperate the sub and the speakers and listened to them independently, You might as well by a Coby system and save $900 bucks.

You have to stand for something-or you will fall for anything
post #13 of 58 Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It's actually a midwoofer, it covers 100 to 500 Hz
post #14 of 58 Old 10-20-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5626 View Post

The Bose sub (module) as others have stated needs the cubes to complete it's self.

As for the quality of the sub it has the bass equal to a cheap HTIB.

Bose systems in general do sound pretty good to the average consumer but if you were to seperate the sub and the speakers and listened to them independently, You might as well by a Coby system and save $900 bucks.

And the Coby systems powered sub has a deeper frequency responce now thats even funnier!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #15 of 58 Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

At least with the Coby you get what you pay for AND you know what you're getting.
post #16 of 58 Old 10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF1384 View Post

lol holy sh!t, that post made my day.

Bose makes nice stuff for decor conscientious folks, folks that don't really care about the quality of their audio. If you want even marginally good sound quality you need to stay way from Bose.

Jeff-

That's it right there. So many people today are putting audio systems in their main living rooms. Mostly (but not always) the wives don't want to 'see' any speakers, just hear them. Bose understands this and makes these pukey sounding speakers to fill the void, as these types of people have no appreciation for sound.

Case in point, my new next door neighbor. Now that our Canadian $ is so high, he can't wait for his next trip to the states. Him and his wife plan on buying a BOSE system for their living room (bungalow) as they want sound other than their T.V. set. I started to explain to him what a rip off BOSE was, he was giving me this weird kinda look - then it hit me. He could care less what they sound like. He just wants to something to reproduce some kind of semblence of sound but LOOKS real nice and small (compact) that can be put anywhere and stay almost hidden. I stopped in mid-sentence and said yeah, go get the BOSE, knock yourself out. See, I won't be going over there to watch any movies or listen to any music, so what do I care.

To the OP - I don't really care. Knock yourself out. However, what others are saying here is true. This is not a subwoofer and is meant to be used with the BOSE Acoustimas speaker system, so if you want it, buy the whole thing. Set it up, and please stop coming here. You obviously want form and function over quality and sound reproduction, this is kind of an audiophile area, this is not a place for someone like you.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #17 of 58 Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum i dont particulaly want it to be a negative one although i only registered here for one reason... i didn't no where to put this information as there are so many Bose bashing threads about. Ive infrequantly read your forum for sometime now. I also came across this article today which is pretty damning:

intellexual... (not allowed to post a url)

Now im here in Bose's.... defence? Well not really but i personally work for Bose and i'd like to give my opinion. Bose overpriced for the 'performance'? Probably.

Im not going to claim that i have masses of knowledge about the ins and outs of audio systems nor do i no much about different ranges of sounds and different figures you guys seem to shout about. Im a 20 year old male that works for Bose who has Bose in his bedroom and whos dad has a 5 speaker B&W setup with Pioneer amplifier... don't ask me the model numbers.. i dont no.

Many people on this forum seem to bash everything Bose, i simply cannot understand why though, they certainly found a hole in the audio market that needed filling. I understand that you guys are passionate about audio as am I to a certain extent, i love music and movies.

I often go and listen to music and movies on my dads speaker setup.. it sounds wonderful, I also listen to Bose lifestyle systems day in day out. After listening to both extensively I can make comment on both of them.

B&W:

For music the B&W speakers take some beating they have a smooth, warm, rich sound to them. Then on several movies including lord of the rings, 28 weeks later and ice age they still sound very good. Heres the bad part... They are setup in a typical fashion with the 2 rear channels either side and set a little back from a 2 seater, this is where my problems start... for movies was the sound ever supposed to sound this artificial? I move to one side of the couch and all i can hear is one rear channel blasting in my ear (even after turning the rear channel down). When an explosion happens 'behind' me i can locate it from 2 points in the room... ehhh? natural sound.. nope.

Bose LS48:

Music playtested in my house and also in several stores, not really comparable with the B&W system, sounds better in a home setting as most stores dont have many soft surfaces and admitidly the Bose Jewel cubes sound overly bright in these conditions (helped a bit by lowering treble). A bit more of a tweeter+bass box feel then the full range effect from the B&W speakers. Although the B&W wins here by a long way the Bose speakers create a sound that is acceptable and even 'pleasing' for most casual listeners. Movies... you'll probably think im mad but i rate the Bose system alot higher for movies then the B&W setup.. a more natural effect with cubes facing away from your ear and bouncing of the wall giving you a more spacious feeling.

Its probably hard for me not to be biased working for the company in question... but im trying to be as subjective as possible.

Now just to clear a few things up, things mostly outlined on the site mentioned above..

-Bose's 'theater' rooms... having helped build and construct several dedicated Bose stores I can tell you for a fact that Bose dont use any special sound padding or 'accoustically tuned' surfaces... its just a room with black paint on the walls. As for having a room behind these theaters with thousands of pounds of preamps and monstrous machines to make our speakers sound better this is just a barefaced lie. The person writing this article is just writing with pure hatred and doesnt actually have the facts. There is a room behind the theater... doh... but all it contains is a control box for the projector, and in most stores.. lots of stock and tills rolls and stuff... i can 100% verify that the lifestlye system in the theater is a original lifestyle system with nothing added to enhance sound, i personally unpacked one many years ago.

As for all these frequancy response numbers and mega killaheartzwatz thingys i personally couldnt care less that the Bose system doesnt meet an audiophiles scrutinisation on how many ranges of sound a soundsystem should meet... i use my ears as the tool not some random numbers( as shown above ). It reminds me of my quest to find a good HDTV recently. Im looking at all the numbers contrast ratios and so on... but then on reading the reviews and actually testing several different TVs find these numbers are all but irrelevant and my eyes are the only reliable test.

Just to wrap a few more things up... this probably all looks like im preaching... but oh well...

Bose invests all money made back into the company, being heavily involved in the company itself i no this as fact, it is still privately owned by one man, no greedy shareholders to please, yay! Bose offers 2 weeks to try the systems out in your home, i dont think you can be fairer then that... you may say they pray on people who dont no what good sound is... but if there happy then what else matters?

In conclusion, Bose offers a decent sounding system which isnt really appropriate for hardcore 'audiophiles' because it doesnt meet theres need in terms of performance... but they offer the most discrete, easy to setup system all in one package, and give people 2 weeks to try in in there home so they can test if they like it or not... sounds like a pretty good business ethic to me, although not pleasing for you hardcore guys for the mainstream 95% of people this is more then adequate.

Please dont bash me... im only giving my opinion and i also value and respect your opinions aswell..

i guess you guys are a bit like i was once with computers... telling people to stop buying dell and build there own computers because they will be cheaper and faster. I didnt convince many people unfortunately most still opt for the ease and 'comfortable' performance of a package computer.
post #18 of 58 Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyulland View Post

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum i dont particulaly want it to be a negative one although i only registered here for one reason... i didn't no where to put this information as there are so many Bose bashing threads about. Ive infrequantly read your forum for sometime now. I also came across this article today which is pretty damning:

intellexual... (not allowed to post a url)

Now im here in Bose's.... defence? Well not really but i personally work for Bose and i'd like to give my opinion. Bose overpriced for the 'performance'? Probably.

I can't wait for the replies to this one.
post #19 of 58 Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Just to wrap a few more things up... this probably all looks like im preaching... but oh well...

Sorry...i have to do this....Yeah!! whoopee!!!, its all cleared and wrapped up ....those thingys called speakers....wow i was 20 once but dont remember this altered state........
post #20 of 58 Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

they certainly found a hole in the audio market that needed filling.

Can ANYONE guess which one of my holes Bose can fill? Come on, I bet you have an idea.

Professional Practitioner of Obsolete Technology & Repository of Useless Information
I keep pointing my remote at my turntable but, it never advances to the next track.
post #21 of 58 Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Heres the bad part... They are setup in a typical fashion with the 2 rear channels either side and set a little back from a 2 seater, this is where my problems start... for movies was the sound ever supposed to sound this artificial? I move to one side of the couch and all i can hear is one rear channel blasting in my ear (even after turning the rear channel down). When an explosion happens 'behind' me i can locate it from 2 points in the room... ehhh? natural sound.. nope.

This sounds like a poorly setup system. The surrounds, according to standard Dolby placement should be beside and slightly behind the main listening position, and above the listeners firing across and above the listening position. Rear-ward imaging should be good, but not as good as with a 7.1 array. Obviously the size and nature of the sweetspot depends on the system, especially room size and the nearness of the surround speakers, and also their type.
post #22 of 58 Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

You know, if Bose is just trying to fill a need, then why do they have to rip people off with such high prices???

Anyone who knows anything about the build quality of their stuff knows that they are WAY OVERPRICED!

I also couldn't care less if someone thinks that their Bose system sounds good! But when you hear how much they are paying for it, that's when the blood boils!

So why doesn't Bose charge what their systems are truly worth??? At least that way most of the Bose bashing would probably stop. Then again, if the Bose bashing stopped, I wouldn't have anything to laugh at during the day! Some of the comments from the posters are hilarious!

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #23 of 58 Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF1384 View Post

Bose makes a subwoofer?

Jeff-

No, Bose has never made subwoofers.
post #24 of 58 Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

No, Bose has never made subwoofers.

Humor is lost on you.
post #25 of 58 Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
cjd

Quote:

In conclusion, Bose offers a decent sounding system which isnt really appropriate for hardcore 'audiophiles' because it doesnt meet theres need in terms of performance...

Not to nitpick, but most Bose systems are probably not suitable for even the most basic audiophile. Their mid-woof/sat systems often end up producing very poor results for people that try to stuff the "center" turned on its side into a hole above their TV, the result often being very difficult to understand dialogue. Placement can leave huge holes in response in the 100-300Hz range. Bose's *best* systems are designed to FORCE poor room interaction, (which means they sound similar wherever they're placed) - generally, this simply means they target their product to people seeking background noise more pleasant than passing traffic, neighbors arguing again, etc.

All of these things are perfectly legitimate within the marketplace - the need/interest for such products is there and Bose does a good job of meeting the needs of that crowd.

The problem really has become that somehow people have this image of Bose being "the ultimate" when it's so far from the truth. This allows them to charge an arm and a leg.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with the market or the fact that Bose fills it. People have a problem when these same people look down on far better systems, nose in the air, as if somehow Bose on their lapel is a mark of superiority. I had a discussion recently with a gentleman that insisted his Bose bookshelfs would wipe the floor with a pair of large 3-ways I have as my mains currently when it came to sound quality. THAT is the problem with Bose. Not the product. Not necessarily even the price. Just the sense of "you now have the very best there is" that they mange to wrongly transfer to the folks that buy their stuff.

C
post #26 of 58 Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed View Post

Humor is lost on you.

Apparently, humor is lost on you. My line that you quoted was humor!
post #27 of 58 Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Apparently, humor is lost on you. My line that you quoted was humor!

Ok Pee Wee Herman. I know you are but what am I.

Hey BTW, whats your favorite speaker this week?
post #28 of 58 Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum i dont (I don't) particulaly want it to be a negative one although i (I) only registered here for one reason... i (I) didn't no (know) where to put this information as there are so many Bose bashing threads about. Ive (I've) infrequantly read your forum for sometime now. I also came across this article today which is pretty damning:

intellexual... (intelectual) (not allowed to post a url)

Now im (I'm)here in Bose's.... defence (defense)? Well not really but i (I) personally work for Bose and i'd (I'd) like to give my opinion. (Is) Bose overpriced for the 'performance'? Probably.

Im (I'm) not going to claim that i (I)have masses of knowledge about the ins and outs of audio systems nor do i no (I know)much about different ranges of sounds and different figures you guys seem to shout about. Im (I'm) a 20 year old male that works for Bose who has Bose in his bedroom and whos (who's) dad has a 5 speaker B&W setup with Pioneer amplifier... don't ask me the model numbers.. i dont no (I don't know).

Whew.... that's about as much of that garbage as I could stand to read. Pal, no offense, but either go back to school and learn proper spelling and punctuation, not to mention a bit of grammar, or hit the spell check button and clean up your post before hitting submit.

I don't mind so much a misspelled word or two in a four line post. But, when attempting to read a novel and every fifth or sixth word is wrong, well.... it's just not worth reading. If you've got something to say, say it well or don't say it at all.

I'm sure Dr. Bose would be "quite" pleased with your eloquent defense of his company. Of course, reading that post was about as enjoyable as listening to those little plastic things he calls speakers.

John W.
Indy
post #29 of 58 Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

i just got finish setting up my 80 dollar bose bass module this past weekend and i'm very happy of the sound it gives out clean loud bass that rumbles my home....thanks again!
post #30 of 58 Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichddvd View Post

i just got finish setting up my 80 dollar bose bass module this past weekend and i'm very happy of the sound it gives out clean loud bass that rumbles my home....thanks again!

We're all happy that you're happy. If you get the chance, go check out a few real subwoofers at any of your local audio stores to compare. From absolutely everything I've read, you should be completely floored if you hear what a non-Bose setup sounds like.

Again, happy you are happy, but as (almost) everyone has stated, you have a lot to gain by exploring other options as Bose's subwoofers aren't even real subwoofers.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page