Lex MC-1 V4 EX Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2001, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm considering upgrading my MC-1 to the newest version 4 software which includes THX Surround EX. The "retail" price of this upgrade is $300, but I'm wondering what others out there with MC-1's, who have made this updgrade, have paid for it. Also, do you like the upgrade - is it worth it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2001, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When v4 was first released Lexicon ran a $100 limited offer for the upgrade, assuming that your DC-1, DC-2, MC-1 was fully loaded and didn't require additional hardware. I think that was about 12 months ago.

I have never heard of anyone offering discounts on Lexicon upgrades, except for Lexicon themselves during special offers.

I upgraded my DC-1 from v2, so the special offer was an amazing deal and definitely worth it.

------------------
Peter M
IMHO
AFAIK
YMMV
WGAFAWITA
post #3 of 7 Old 03-12-2001, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I paid $150 for mine from a guy on Audiogon. You sometimes see them at eBay as well for around the same.

Steve
post #4 of 7 Old 03-14-2001, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you're conmfortable installing EEPROMs, you can try to find a 3rd party seller, but if you want warrantied installation, you're pretty much stuck with dealer pricing.

The V4 offers 4 enhancements:

- THX Surround EX / DTS ES
- 2-second timeout on the front panel display
- Increased A/V Sync Delay for some projectors that required it
- Improved operation of Bass Enhance with DTS

Of these improvements, I find the 2nd one most valuable because I don't like equipment light distractions.

EX and ES would be more useful for a system that lacks other 7.1 processing, but after experimenting with EX-encoded discs I find I prefer Logic 7 anyway--it correctly steers the matrixed rear content and provides stereo rears to boot.

Therefore, my advice would be to wait for the next upgrade, which I suspect will include Pro-Logic II and other enhancements, and will be offered at a deep discount for the first 6 months or so. Sorry, I don't have a timetable, but since you already have Logic 7 I don't think there's any real rush.

Cheers,
Philip Brandes
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2001, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the thorough reply Phillip. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Another question: When - and if - the next upgrade comes out for the MC-1 (as you state with possibly DPL II), would it also include the V4 upgrade? In other words, if I didn't have V4 when I went to upgrade with the next upgrade down the pike, would it be all inclusive or would I need to do V4, then the next (DPL II?) upgrade? Little confused.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. By the way, up until now, I've just been using 5.1 on my MC-1. I just purchased the extra amp and speakers to move into 7.1, so I can't wait to hook it up and experience Logic 7. I'm sure that will be a huge updgrade.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2001, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bambam:
Thanks for the thorough reply Phillip. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Another question: When - and if - the next upgrade comes out for the MC-1 (as you state with possibly DPL II), would it also include the V4 upgrade? In other words, if I didn't have V4 when I went to upgrade with the next upgrade down the pike, would it be all inclusive or would I need to do V4, then the next (DPL II?) upgrade? Little confused.
</font>
Every Lexicon software upgrade is all-inclusive--they don't play those games. When you get the latest upgrade for your model, you get a complete set of capabilities.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Thanks in advance for your feedback. By the way, up until now, I've just been using 5.1 on my MC-1. I just purchased the extra amp and speakers to move into 7.1, so I can't wait to hook it up and experience Logic 7. I'm sure that will be a huge updgrade.</font>
Have fun with what you've got and forget about EX for the time being--running your MC-1 in 7.1 will be a significant improvement all by itself.

Happy listening!
Philip Brandes

post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2001, 10:58 PM
Lex

Liked: 10
I too got in on the 100.00 deal. That was a sweet deal and to good to pass up. Even if I only use 1 of the features of it, well worth it to upgrade.

Maybe the best upgrade I have performed recently are new cables on my mains. Well, that is if I keep them and don't sell them, lol.

As usual Philip, very informative post.

Lex
catcables.com
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page