Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #481 of 503 Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't have time for audyssey cuz my kids are screaming all the time, but I did play with it a few more hours, listening to Sade, Diana Krall, The Rippingtons, some rap, Emma Hewitt, Toni Braxton and some others. But these Totem Arros are pretty amazing to say the least. Finally moved it to sweet spot location and Bam! The imaging was spot on! The bass was pretty amazing how low they went? I'm like hmm...How is that possible? Maybe my crappy room acoustic is working in favor??
Everything Flat on my Marantz, the Totem Arro's sounded well balanced, smooth, extended top end without any kind of sibilance, velvety midrange, and sweet vocals.
Can't believe I can actually feel the bass after I got them into their sweet spot. How can these 4.5 inch peerless CXL's do that??

The only problem i found was, given the 4ohm impedance, it seems like the sensitivity is rather low?? It seems it's harder to drive these Totem Arro's than my dynaudio audience 52??? Anyways I think the Arro's want some sort of dual mono, or separates.

You know these should sound amazing with peachtree Nova's. Wish I had some sort of Hybrid amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 503 Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypass911 View Post
Didn't have time for audyssey cuz my kids are screaming all the time, but I did play with it a few more hours, listening to Sade, Diana Krall, The Rippingtons, some rap, Emma Hewitt, Toni Braxton and some others. But these Totem Arros are pretty amazing to say the least. Finally moved it to sweet spot location and Bam! The imaging was spot on! The bass was pretty amazing how low they went? I'm like hmm...How is that possible? Maybe my crappy room acoustic is working in favor??
Everything Flat on my Marantz, the Totem Arro's sounded well balanced, smooth, extended top end without any kind of sibilance, velvety midrange, and sweet vocals.
Can't believe I can actually feel the bass after I got them into their sweet spot. How can these 4.5 inch peerless CXL's do that??

The only problem i found was, given the 4ohm impedance, it seems like the sensitivity is rather low?? It seems it's harder to drive these Totem Arro's than my dynaudio audience 52??? Anyways I think the Arro's want some sort of dual mono, or separates.

You know these should sound amazing with peachtree Nova's. Wish I had some sort of Hybrid amp.
I run mine with a Magnum Dynalab MD-209 (125 Watts into 8 ohms). I had a Simaudio i-5 before that and never felt it had enough "oomph" for the Arros.
post #483 of 503 Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypass911 View Post

I had a Peachtree iNova driving my Dreamcatchers and thought it was a nice combo as well. I felt those produced amazing bass for their size.
post #484 of 503 Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seriously contemlplating purchasing the Totem Tribe Three On Wall Speakers. The trouble is, there are not alot of reviews on this speaker. All the Totem authorized dealers seem to be impressed with them. LOL

I would really appreciate any feedback from someone on here ,who may have heard them in person. Also, it would be nice to know what electronics were used with them to achieve those results.

THANKS in advance !

Jim
post #485 of 503 Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So since I couldn't find much information on the Totem Kins, I thought I would post my experience with them. I bought three Totem Kin in-walls for LCR and 4 in-ceiling Kins along with two Storm subs. I have them hooked into a Marantz SR7007 receiver in a room that is about 20x30. Three of the sides are concrete and fourth is sound insulated as well as the ceiling is sound insulated.

I didn't sample the speakers before buying. This was mainly because I found a great deal on them and no one nearby had them to sample. But because the deal was good, I took the risk on them. I had sampled many speakers before these and was settled on some B&W 7.3's until these came along.

The salesman that I did talk to that was a Totem dealer basically told me that they can sound great if they are hooked to the right receiver and not that great if hooked to the wrong receiver. He recommended either a Cambridge or Marantz receiver as these gave the warmest sound for the speakers.

The owners manual recommends breaking in the speakers for 60 hours. I thought this seemed a bit much but after playing about 20-30 hours of music, I can definitely tell that the sound has improved. At first sample they seemed a little bright, but they have gradually become very warm. This could also be contributed to my first sample being without any furniture in the room and it is now full of furniture.

I am extremely satisfied with the speakers. The are very, very clear and crisp. They have a good warm sound and seem to handle lower volume levels quite well. They can also handle the higher volumes and perform well at filling the room. If I were to compare them to the 7.3's, I would say the sound is fairly equivalent but I think the B&W's could fill the room a bit better (note they are almost twice the cost). Movies sound fantastic. The in-wall center performs very well and no issues with clear speaking/voices and the levels are perfect compared to the other ambient sounds/music. Note that I did not buy the specific center channel but used one of the L/R's turned horizontal. The surrounds also perform fantastically. Music sounds great also but since these are primarily used for home theater I won't talk much about music.

The storm sub works well and is tight and fast. I am sure one sub would not have been enough for a room this size so I am glad I went with two. The two seem to work in harmony and really fills out the sound. The Kins don't have a great low range (and I didn't expect them too) so having them coupled with the Storms seems to be a good way to go. In sampling many speakers I found that I was really looking for that sound that you could feel during intense moments of movies and this setup seems to accomplish it well. No regrets here and would go this way again given the chance. I hadn't really heard much about Totem but I am glad I found them.

Last edited by Litt77; 06-28-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #486 of 503 Old 06-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litt77 View Post
So since I couldn't find much information on the Totem Kins, I thought I would post my experience with them. I bought three Totem Kin in-walls for LCR and 4 in-ceiling Kins along with two Storm subs. I have them hooked into a Marantz SR7007 receiver in a room that is about 20x30. Three of the sides are concrete and fourth is sound insulated as well as the ceiling is sound insulated.

I didn't sample the speakers before buying. This was mainly because I found a great deal on them and no one nearby had them to sample. But because the deal was good, I took the risk on them. I had sampled many speakers before these and was settled on some B&W 7.3's until these came along.

The salesman that I did talk to that was a Totem dealer basically told me that they can sound great if they are hooked to the right receiver and not that great if hooked to the wrong receiver. He recommended either a Cambridge or Marantz receiver as these gave the warmest sound for the speakers.

The owners manual recommends breaking in the speakers for 60 hours. I thought this seemed a bit much but after playing about 20-30 hours of music, I can definitely tell that the sound has improved. At first sample they seemed a little bright, but they have gradually become very warm. This could also be contributed to my first sample being without any furniture in the room and it is now full of furniture.

I am extremely satisfied with the speakers. The are very, very clear and crisp. They have a good warm sound and seem to handle lower volume levels quite well. They can also handle the higher volumes and perform well at filling the room. If I were to compare them to the 7.3's, I would say the sound is fairly equivalent but I think the B&W's could fill the room a bit better (note they are almost twice the cost). Movies sound fantastic. The in-wall center performs very well and no issues with clear speaking/voices and the levels are perfect compared to the other ambient sounds/music. Note that I did not buy the specific center channel but used one of the L/R's turned horizontal. The surrounds also perform fantastically. Music sounds great also but since these are primarily used for home theater I won't talk much about music.

The storm sub works well and is tight and fast. I am sure one sub would not have been enough for a room this size so I am glad I went with two. The two seem to work in harmony and really fills out the sound. The Kins don't have a great low range (and I didn't expect them too) so having them coupled with the Storms seems to be a good way to go. In sampling many speakers I found that I was really looking for that sound that you could feel during intense moments of movies and this setup seems to accomplish it well. No regrets here and would go this way again given the chance. I hadn't really heard much about Totem but I am glad I found them.
I also bought the Totem Kin in-walls for my theater room. I have 5 of them in a 5.1 system with the LFE coming through a JL Audio E112 sub. They are paired up with a Cambridge Audio Azure 751r receiver.

My experience with them is pretty much in agreement with yours.

I haven't "broken" them in for 60 hours, in fact I've probably got less than 5-10 hours in total on them. I also have not tried them without the speaker grills, which Totem also recommends for critical listening.
My room is desperately lacking in acoustic treatments at the early reflection points which doesn't help matters, but I intend to address this soon.

Still, I find the Kins to be very revealing of fine detail and this depends, of course, on the quality of the source material being used. Feed them a well recorded, high-fidelity recording and they can sound wonderfully revealing.
As pointed out, the low end is not huge, but it is also not anemic and paired with the JL Audio sub the frequency and dynamic range are impressive. I find the Kin's strength to be their ability to render a delicacy and subtle detail
that is exquisite. A good example of this is found in the opening scenes of Lone Survivor on the Bagram airbase, there is a lovely guitar track layered underneath the dialog and action that sounds just beautiful. Then as the Seals
are flying to the drop zone, the thump of the blackhawk blades is gut-wrenching and bone rattling.

These speakers are capable of playing at very loud volumes !!!

Bottom line, I am very happy that I purchased the Totems also. They are extremely well constructed and designed. By all accounts, they will only get better as they break in

post #487 of 503 Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

guys just one question: Are Totem speakers good for HT???... I have some monitor Audio GR20 that want to replace , I will run a 7.1 system, but will use also for music so I decided to go with Totem speakers, but have a friend that tells me that Totems are not good for HT.. I will running with a Marantz sr7008 and use a McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe for the fronts.... Thank you.
post #488 of 503 Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
guys just one question: Are Totem speakers good for HT???... I have some monitor Audio GR20 that want to replace , I will run a 7.1 system, but will use also for music so I decided to go with Totem speakers, but have a friend that tells me that Totems are not good for HT.. I will running with a Marantz sr7008 and use a McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe for the fronts.... Thank you.
I am using Totem Element Fires for my main right and left speakers, a Totem Model 1 Signature Centre speaker with Definitive Technology surrounds and Super Cube in an 8.1 configuration. Sound is very good. Using a Denon AVR-4520ci to run this.
post #489 of 503 Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm using Dreamcatchers in my small upstairs TV room and Hawks + Rainmakers + Storm in my larger downstairs room. Both are 5.1 setups. The sound for TV and movies is entirely satisfactory. Totems not being good for HT is an internet myth.
post #490 of 503 Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

thanks... now do the Hawks play louder than the sttafs?... my friend has the sttaf and love the way they sound , but he can not crank them up at all... He also mentioned that the sttaf sounded very bright??

Last edited by llep64; 07-16-2014 at 10:04 PM.
post #491 of 503 Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Totems are perfect for HT

Hi,

I have an unconventional setup for HT because of buying Totem speakers over the years and they work wonderfully together:

Fronts: Totem Acoustic Winds
Center: Mite-T center
Rears: Sttafs
Sub: Storm

I also have 4 Mite-Ts that I am not using any more but once I move I will have a proper 7.1 setup, or 9.1 if that comes out.
My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR809 that has no problems driving the Totems. Movies sound absolutely fantastic from the clarity of The Lion King, to the insanity of Pacific Rim.

BTW that's an old pic where everything was bunched together. Things are more spaced in all directions now for more breathing room for the Winds.
e
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Totem Acoustic Winds 028.jpg (152.7 KB, 21 views)
post #492 of 503 Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post
Hi,

I have an unconventional setup for HT because of buying Totem speakers over the years and they work wonderfully together:

Fronts: Totem Acoustic Winds
Center: Mite-T center
Rears: Sttafs
Sub: Storm

I also have 4 Mite-Ts that I am not using any more but once I move I will have a proper 7.1 setup, or 9.1 if that comes out.
My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR809 that has no problems driving the Totems. Movies sound absolutely fantastic from the clarity of The Lion King, to the insanity of Pacific Rim.

BTW that's an old pic where everything was bunched together. Things are more spaced in all directions now for more breathing room for the Winds.
e
Very nice! Would love to hear the Winds. I bet they put out some nice bass.
post #493 of 503 Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What are your opinions on the Arro vs Tribe I/II speakers for L/R? For a center channel how Tribe I/II vs Dreamcatcher center?

I'm thinking of 7.1 setup with

2x Arro (LR)
1x Tribe I or II (Center)
4x Dreamcatcher (Surrounds)

Would I better off with all Tribe's across the front? Or using the Dreamcatcher center with the Arro?
post #494 of 503 Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please vote in order for Devialet to implement SAM technology for Totem speakers here:

http://voteforsam.devialet.com/totem-element-metal/

Thank you !
post #495 of 503 Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Can anyone speak to the differences between the Kin in-walls vs. the Tribe in-walls? It would be nice to save money with the Kins, but I'd like to know what I would be giving up. I don't have the option of auditioning either.

Thanks!
johnsap likes this.
post #496 of 503 Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe View Post
Can anyone speak to the differences between the Kin in-walls vs. the Tribe in-walls? It would be nice to save money with the Kins, but I'd like to know what I would be giving up. I don't have the option of auditioning either.

Thanks!
I couldn't speak to the Kins but the Tribe in walls are probably the best in-walls that I've ever heard in a theater. I've heard many many theaters as I used to be in the business and I have to tell you, If I had my pick these would be in my top 3 for in walls. And that goes for music and ht.
post #497 of 503 Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydandy View Post
I couldn't speak to the Kins but the Tribe in walls are probably the best in-walls that I've ever heard in a theater. I've heard many many theaters as I used to be in the business and I have to tell you, If I had my pick these would be in my top 3 for in walls. And that goes for music and ht.
Thanks. That's helpful. What are the other 2 in your top 3?
post #498 of 503 Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
It's tough to name the last but I'd say a complete JBL synthesis system. It's a very different sound but probably the best sounding theater I've been in. JBl engineers actually flew in to calibrate the system which includes matching amps and preamps.
lambe likes this.
post #499 of 503 Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Let me also preface this by saying that part of the reason it impacted me so much is that my expectations were fairly low. Between the speakers and this thrown together room on the CEDIA floor, I didn't expect much. I was floored by the detail.
post #500 of 503 Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

please recommend me a tube integrated amp to drive my sttafs, my budget is around $600.Thanks!
post #501 of 503 Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
please recommend me a tube integrated amp to drive my sttafs, my budget is around $600.Thanks!
http://www.hideflifestyle.com/jolida...fier-4308.html

not too much else i can think of in that price range.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #502 of 503 Old Today, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

opinions on yaqin amps??
post #503 of 503 Old Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
opinions on yaqin amps??
No experience with them. I looked at their dacs but was concerned about customer service since they'd be shipping from china.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page