Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #511 of 517 Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litt77 View Post
So since I couldn't find much information on the Totem Kins, I thought I would post my experience with them. I bought three Totem Kin in-walls for LCR and 4 in-ceiling Kins along with two Storm subs. I have them hooked into a Marantz SR7007 receiver in a room that is about 20x30. Three of the sides are concrete and fourth is sound insulated as well as the ceiling is sound insulated.

I didn't sample the speakers before buying. This was mainly because I found a great deal on them and no one nearby had them to sample. But because the deal was good, I took the risk on them. I had sampled many speakers before these and was settled on some B&W 7.3's until these came along.

The salesman that I did talk to that was a Totem dealer basically told me that they can sound great if they are hooked to the right receiver and not that great if hooked to the wrong receiver. He recommended either a Cambridge or Marantz receiver as these gave the warmest sound for the speakers.

The owners manual recommends breaking in the speakers for 60 hours. I thought this seemed a bit much but after playing about 20-30 hours of music, I can definitely tell that the sound has improved. At first sample they seemed a little bright, but they have gradually become very warm. This could also be contributed to my first sample being without any furniture in the room and it is now full of furniture.

I am extremely satisfied with the speakers. The are very, very clear and crisp. They have a good warm sound and seem to handle lower volume levels quite well. They can also handle the higher volumes and perform well at filling the room. If I were to compare them to the 7.3's, I would say the sound is fairly equivalent but I think the B&W's could fill the room a bit better (note they are almost twice the cost). Movies sound fantastic. The in-wall center performs very well and no issues with clear speaking/voices and the levels are perfect compared to the other ambient sounds/music. Note that I did not buy the specific center channel but used one of the L/R's turned horizontal. The surrounds also perform fantastically. Music sounds great also but since these are primarily used for home theater I won't talk much about music.

The storm sub works well and is tight and fast. I am sure one sub would not have been enough for a room this size so I am glad I went with two. The two seem to work in harmony and really fills out the sound. The Kins don't have a great low range (and I didn't expect them too) so having them coupled with the Storms seems to be a good way to go. In sampling many speakers I found that I was really looking for that sound that you could feel during intense moments of movies and this setup seems to accomplish it well. No regrets here and would go this way again given the chance. I hadn't really heard much about Totem but I am glad I found them.

I just came across this old forum and have a few questions. Currently I have Totem TAW 6.5 speakers in our family room. I am thinking of replacing the front speakers to the Kin in ceiling and leaving the rears as is. Will the Kin's make any difference in sound? the system is powered by an Integra 40.6 receiver. In addition - I am thinking about getting either a dream catcher, Mite or rainmaker center - which of those centers would be best.

Do I need to upgrade my components or can I get away with this new upgrade - thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 517 Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just came across this old forum and have a few questions. Currently I have Totem TAW 6.5 speakers in our family room. I am thinking of replacing the front speakers to the Kin in ceiling and leaving the rears as is. Will the Kin's make any difference in sound? the system is powered by an Integra 40.6 receiver. In addition - I am thinking about getting either a dream catcher, Mite or rainmaker center - which of those centers would be best.

Do I need to upgrade my components or can I get away with this new upgrade - thanks for any help
post #513 of 517 Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
Seriously contemlplating purchasing the Totem Tribe Three On Wall Speakers. The trouble is, there are not alot of reviews on this speaker. All the Totem authorized dealers seem to be impressed with them. LOL

I would really appreciate any feedback from someone on here ,who may have heard them in person. Also, it would be nice to know what electronics were used with them to achieve those results.

THANKS in advance !

Jim

Just found this thread, and I know its been a while since you posted, but FWIW, my local dealer held a vendor show in their store in Nov., and Totem's president ran the demo. Apparently, they were Vince's personal Tribe 5s (I know you were looking at the 3s) and I was floored at the sound it was putting out. He went into how the "Metal" (?) versions of the ranges used the heavier, proprietary drivers, with no crossovers (passed around one of the raw driver elements, and it was almost as large/heavy as my car's differential). Well, IMHO, aside from a nice full, clean, detailed sound, when driven with one of the store's SS McIntosh amps, if I had the Tribe 5s in my townhouse, my neighbors would hate me, given the bass it was pumping out. Honestly may not need a separate sub in a smallish room (10x15 or so), unless you really want to feel it. Very impressive (to me), regardless of the fact that the drivers are only 4". This from someone who got hooked on hi-fi through the first time hearing 801 Matrix, driven by huge Classe amp, and current system consists of C-J tube amps and 805Ns. Basically, I'd look at the Tribes if you want a "full size speaker sound", from a "soundbar form factor". It may have been said before (haven't read through this whole thread yet), or sound cliche, but they did seem to be putting out a "wall of sound". The store's room is treated with some panels here and there, and the 5s were on stands, but I think they would do well pulling HT and critical audio duties.

In looking to build up a bedroom system, I wanted the Model 1 Sigs, after a lengthy demo with my own equipment at the store, but couldn't justify the $3k for bedroom speakers. I particulary liked them for their imaging, and resolution of low level details. Also really liked the Forrest Sigs and Element Metals demo'd at the show, and got to demo the Hawks with my own equipment as well (again FWIW, thought about the Hawks, but Model 1 Sigs sounded more detailed,with the Hawks sounding "a little" bigger). But I wound up picking up Rainmakers for 50% off, as a spur of the moment decision, during the store's Black Friday sale, figuring they would be "close enough" at low, bedroom levels.

However when I first got them, they sounded "HORRID-BLE"...running them with Rega Brio-R, and FLAC files via Bluesound Node/Audioengine B1 BT receiver. Very flat/tinny, no bass, and like the tweeters were made out of paper...like the sound paper makes when your snapping it tight or waving it around? Also sounded like sections of the frequency range were missing...very odd and inconsistent sound. I was shooting for something small/clean/tight sounding, so as not to trouble the neighbors, but this was crazy. I was pretty upset, given the store's return policy (can only return for "store credit after 7 days), and wondered if this was why they were heavily discounted..."White Van special"? Especially given how deep the store demos were going. But, after about 150 hours, they started filling out, and now I'm actually worried they may go too low, for my situation, even at moderately low volumes (at least with house/tech music). Luckily the adjoining house is vacant while I sort out room treatment/placement.

Last edited by colnago; 01-27-2015 at 12:46 PM.
post #514 of 517 Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi Fellow Totem owners

for several years I owned Totem Dreamcatchers in a secondary system. I was always so entertained by them that I recommended them to friends putting a small system together.

i moved to a smaller place which was not tower speaker friendly, so i got bookshelves. for a year i was very, very happy with KEF LS50. i have kept the LS50, but the main system now has the Totem Element Fire (i long debated whether to get the Ember instead).

i am very, very happy with them. they are immensely entertaining and fun, and project staging masterfully.

cheers...p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	system2s.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	551857  

System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e
post #515 of 517 Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
Hi Fellow Totem owners

for several years I owned Totem Dreamcatchers in a secondary system. I was always so entertained by them that I recommended them to friends putting a small system together.

i moved to a smaller place which was not tower speaker friendly, so i got bookshelves. for a year i was very, very happy with KEF LS50. i have kept the LS50, but the main system now has the Totem Element Fire (i long debated whether to get the Ember instead).

i am very, very happy with them. they are immensely entertaining and fun, and project staging masterfully.

cheers...p
I have used Totem Element Fire speakers for over a year now and love them in my AV system and particularly for playing my digitized CD collection (FLAQ) in stereo mode. Also have a Totem Model 1 Signature Center plus a Totem Storm sub-woofer.
post #516 of 517 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Has anyone used the totem in-wall speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86

post #517 of 517 Old Today, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello guys,
I just acquired a pair of Totem Sttaf and Am really happy but need a little help; how much (pounds) "sand" should I add to them and where does it go? the first hole from top to bottom or the second one?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page