Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #541 of 555 Old 06-22-2015, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are those Kin mini's really 5"x5" footprint? They would make nice computer speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 555 Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
They are 5x9x5 I believe.
post #543 of 555 Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Based on the number of comments (hardly any) on this forum, it appears the Totem Brand is not a very well known name among the U.S. readers and owners, may be they are made in Canada and the Totem brand is considered in the lower tier of quality and audiophile speakers. Am I correct to make this assumption? May be the U.S. owners and readers can throw in their comments to validate what I just said. On the other hand, how do you rate and compare the Totem lines of speakers, say, the Staff (costing about $2K a pair) to similarly priced well known brands like, the Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, Paradigm, Golden Ear, B & W's, KEF's, Salk's, etc, etc. Are the Totem lines of speakers overpriced, over-rated? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by hamptons; 06-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #544 of 555 Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptons View Post
Based on the number of comments (hardly any) on this forum, it appears the Totem Brand is not a very well known name among the U.S. readers and owners, may be they are made in Canada and the Totem brand is considered in the lower tier of quality and audiophile speakers. Am I correct to make this assumption? May be the U.S. owners and readers can throw in their comments to validate what I just said. On the other hand, how do you rate and compare the Totem lines of speakers, say, the Staff (costing about $2K a pair) to similarly priced well known brands like, the B & W's, KEF's, Salt's, etc, etc. Are the Totem lines of speakers overpriced, over-rated? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
I think the reason for the limited responses are that they are a relatively small company and as such sell fewer speakers. I think people in the industry or in the "know" hold Totem speakers in very high regard. I would attribute the limited number of responses as fewer people have these speakers, especially when compared to B&W which are mass produced.
post #545 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsharkwon View Post
I think the reason for the limited responses are that they are a relatively small company and as such sell fewer speakers. I think people in the industry or in the "know" hold Totem speakers in very high regard. I would attribute the limited number of responses as fewer people have these speakers, especially when compared to B&W which are mass produced.
Up here they are pretty popular, but the price is a little better. Opinions vary as to the level of "high end" they are among the esoteric crowd. I would agree to a certain extend for the more expensive models - Element and above. I would certainly audition a number of other brands before a final decision on $10k Totems.
post #546 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguenator View Post
They are 5x9x5 I believe.
You are right in fact they are 8 7/8 high.
post #547 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptons View Post
Based on the number of comments (hardly any) on this forum, it appears the Totem Brand is not a very well known name among the U.S. readers and owners, may be they are made in Canada and the Totem brand is considered in the lower tier of quality and audiophile speakers. Am I correct to make this assumption? May be the U.S. owners and readers can throw in their comments to validate what I just said. On the other hand, how do you rate and compare the Totem lines of speakers, say, the Staff (costing about $2K a pair) to similarly priced well known brands like, the Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, Paradigm, Golden Ear, B & W's, KEF's, Salk's, etc, etc. Are the Totem lines of speakers overpriced, over-rated? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsharkwon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post
Up here they are pretty popular, but the price is a little better. Opinions vary as to the level of "high end" they are among the esoteric crowd. I would agree to a certain extend for the more expensive models - Element and above. I would certainly audition a number of other brands before a final decision on $10k Totems.
I think you guys I RIGHT ON THE BUTTON I have had other people in other Forums wanting to try them but the amount of dealers in the US is limited they are not well represented in all the states, hell even in the province of Quebec back 3 years ago they were limited sales since they had no rep so they attacked the biggest market in Ontario first but now theya are picking up the pace in the entire country up here.

They are certainly true audiophile speakers but the do have a small footprint, some models color the sound a little bit but for the most part they are neutral and use high quality x-over a superb craftsmanship. highly priced borosilicate paint is used for damping and they also veneer the inside of the cabinet to prevent expansion which contribute to raise the price. All in All the sound very good to understand their pricing you have to understand the kind of work they put in the speakers.

I live in the MTL Metro and I have owned several pairs of Totems.
post #548 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 PM

My Latest catch

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black.
Oppo BDP103D

BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest.
post #549 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
My Latest catch

nice speaker!! How do they sound!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #550 of 555 Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
nice speaker!! How do they sound!
Not Good

I have not plugged them in yet got home at 9:15pm EDT but i do not have the right stands yet, my stands are ordered 20 inch MR Target stands. 4 Pillars. The stands i have are 29 inches it's to tall for them.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black.
Oppo BDP103D

post #551 of 555 Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Not Good

I have not plugged them in yet got home at 9:15pm EDT but i do not have the right stands yet, my stands are ordered 20 inch MR Target stands. 4 Pillars. The stands i have are 29 inches it's to tall for them.
I am 19 y/o and have not heard many high-end speakers in my years so far. But I did go to the NY audio show 2014 and the Totem fires absolutely blew me away. Better than speakers 5x the price. I really really want a pair.
post #552 of 555 Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Bought Totem Rain Makers today

I auditioned Totem's and B&W's today, Started with the Totem Mites/sub to the Sttaf's to the Rainmakers to the Hawks, then to B&W CM6, 800 Diamonds. I liked the sound from the Rainmakers best. More and better hi freq definition I though. I'll have them in a couple of weeks. Hoping my Bryston 2B 60 watt amp can run the 4 ohm speakers OK. Later I'll decide of to add a sub.
post #553 of 555 Old 07-03-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
I auditioned Totem's and B&W's today, Started with the Totem Mites/sub to the Sttaf's to the Rainmakers to the Hawks, then to B&W CM6, 800 Diamonds. I liked the sound from the Rainmakers best. More and better hi freq definition I though. I'll have them in a couple of weeks. Hoping my Bryston 2B 60 watt amp can run the 4 ohm speakers OK. Later I'll decide of to add a sub.
BigAl above use to have Rainmakers and if I recall correctly he powered them with an HK AVR for quite some time. I believe your Bryston will do just fine. Heck I used to power my Dynaudio Excite X16s with a 50 watt Naim Nait 5i, they worked great together.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #554 of 555 Unread Today, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
BigAl above use to have Rainmakers and if I recall correctly he powered them with an HK AVR for quite some time. I believe your Bryston will do just fine. Heck I used to power my Dynaudio Excite X16s with a 50 watt Naim Nait 5i, they worked great together.
Mike, Congrats on the Rainmakers

They will and Bryston pairs well actually with rainmakers, give them some time to settle for about 50 hours or so, I know they say up to 80 hours of break in, they do sound incoherent at the beginning but after 50 hours you should hear the magic you heard during your audition, the Rainmaker do have a nice low end extension and throw an enormous souddstage, I did power them with an HK receiver in the beginning then an Arcam receiver and I did experience them with a crazy Bryston 6 B-SST.

Oppo BDP103D

post #555 of 555 Unread Today, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrocket View Post
I am 19 y/o and have not heard many high-end speakers in my years so far. But I did go to the NY audio show 2014 and the Totem fires absolutely blew me away. Better than speakers 5x the price. I really really want a pair.
I do hope your dreams become reality, they are oustanding speakers and got many 5 stars reviews, I heard them for the first time driven by 600 watts Classe monos.

Oppo BDP103D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page