Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
post #931 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Yeah, I'm a little puzzled now that I'm back at home. I checked the speaker connections and such, ran it for a little bit with the DC's and then when I pushed it up to about 11:00 it shut down just like before. I then connected some 8 ohm speakers with about 3db more sensitivity and ran them up to 11:30 and it had no issues. My ears started having issues so after about a minute I brought it back down. This is my first 4 ohm speaker, the Nad doesn't sound stressed or harsh at that point so I'm hoping it's not the start of a defect of some sort. It was pretty loud though, and I think the volume ramps up pretty fast off of odb since 9:00 is already loud.

Any Nad owners out there, perhaps you could chime in with any observations. Anyway, color me happy with the DC's.
I have an 8 ohm recommended AVR from Arcam i have driven several 4 ohms speakers with it including some Rainmakers from Totem and never ever had this problem. I am puzzled too. Does the Amp run hot at all?

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Yea it sounds like the NAD can't handle those speakers. Perhaps a used Naim Nait 5i I had one and it worked very well.
Could be cheper to just go with a used Arcan A18 honestly and that would handle them for sure. I mean I prefer the 5i but it might be a tad overkill for them.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

post #933 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I have an 8 ohm recommended AVR from Arcam i have driven several 4 ohms speakers with it including some Rainmakers from Totem and never ever had this problem. I am puzzled too. Does the Amp run hot at all?
No, it doesn't run hot, right now after an hour running the DC's it's more than moderately warm. This is sitting on a fuzzy blanket in the open(Oops, I just put coasters under it's feet to raise it off the blanket somewhat). I've had no problems as long as I don't push it past 11:00. I think maybe the volume is pretty close to unity at that point because with 50 wpc, you're only going to get so many db's. I was probably abusing it a little at that point.

I just measured the db's at my listening position, about 9 feet from the speakers in a largish room with vaulted ceilings up to about 22 feet. I'm getting peaks of 82 db with the volume at 9:00. The DC's are, what, 87 efficient? I think I just found the limits of the little guy.
post #934 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, it doesn't run hot, right now after an hour running the DC's it's more than moderately warm. This is sitting on a fuzzy blanket in the open(Oops, I just put coasters under it's feet to raise it off the blanket somewhat). I've had no problems as long as I don't push it past 11:00. I think maybe the volume is pretty close to unity at that point because with 50 wpc, you're only going to get so many db's. I was probably abusing it a little at that point.

I just measured the db's at my listening position, about 9 feet from the speakers in a largish room with vaulted ceilings up to about 22 feet. I'm getting peaks of 82 db with the volume at 9:00. The DC's are, what, 87 efficient? I think I just found the limits of the little guy.
Well seriously with such small speaker you are only going to get so much air displacement, That speaker is not necessarily design for such large room, they have limitations but I ran them in a 9x12 room with standard selling and they sand really well.

I am just hoping you find the answer regarding your NAD in regard to running 4 ohms speakers.

post #935 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 399
You mean the limits of the Amp?

My Naim 5i was 50 wpc and I never had that issue. My guess is the power supply is probably running outta power at that point.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #936 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
You mean the limits of the Amp?

My Naim 5i was 50 wpc and I never had that issue. My guess is the power supply is probably running outta power at that point.
Yeah I wasn't sure if it was about the amp or the speaker but both can have limitations sitting 9 feet away from the speaker with 22 feet vaulted ceilings looks like your living room
Another option for them maybe also cheaper than the 5i could be the exposure 1010.

If audio4life would like to continue with British gear there are options out there and a used Creek Evo 2 also could be great with them.

Other people had similar issues with the 326

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=amp&m=186352
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/...d-amp-problems

Last edited by BigAl87; 06-21-2016 at 08:43 PM.
post #937 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 399
@BigAl87 true I didn't have my 5i in this room (similar to his), but I pushed it pretty hard in my other room and was 7-8 ft back, with difficult loads as well.

While the 5i might seem a little much.. Used for $800ish it'd be a great match.... New it might seem overpriced for that speaker.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #938 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM

Yes, apparently Naim or Arcam might be good as well. I'm just not sure how far I want to take this as I'm just kind of experimenting with different flavors as a change from the above mentioned main system. We'll see if the Nad starts to act up at lower volumes. Thanks for all of your thoughts.
post #939 of 947 Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, apparently Naim or Arcam might be good as well. I'm just not sure how far I want to take this as I'm just kind of experimenting with different flavors as a change from the above mentioned main system. We'll see if the Nad starts to act up at lower volumes. Thanks for all of your thoughts.
Our pleasure and just food for toughts, Callas is right about the 5i not being so expensive and would leve anyone who can to experience the 5i with some DC but even sometimes $800 is stretching it while 500 might just be in their budget which is why I mentioned the Exposure 1010, the Creek Evo2 and the Arcam A18 used of course. If I had to choose between the 4, I would pick the 5i for sure.

post #940 of 947 Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 PM

I checked with the C326BEE manual regarding speaker loads. It states that speakers should not go under 4 ohms, which seems a little odd since it's supposed to be rated for 4 ohms, and power output for 4 ohms is given. Perhaps the protection circuitry errs on the side of caution with the 326, and since the DC does dip slightly under, at high volumes the 326 may hit the stops. Either way the combo does sound pretty nice.
post #941 of 947 Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

thanks a4l we like sharing our experiences with different products so others can experience our enjoyable listening experiences with us.

post #942 of 947 Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Yes, I've only got the Dreamcatchers, but to anyone reading they certainly are ear-catching and a worthy addition to the short list. As an experiment I swapped in a Harman Kardon PM625 integrated amp. I think I might prefer it over the Nad! The C326 is decent, but I see what you mean about there being other options. I'll bow out now for a while, and keep those other amp options on the back burner.
post #943 of 947 Unread 06-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Looking great and congratulation on the new Sttaf, how do you like them so far?

They may sound a little colored at times but I feel this where the Magic operates with them Enjoy them!!
I love them so far. Every time I listen to them I find something new I like about them. Vince was just at my company's new store Grand Opening event. I got to spend a few hours with him talking about music and speakers. He sent me a pair of Beaks, they came in today I haven't been home yet to try them out. I'm interested in finding out what they'll do!
post #944 of 947 Unread 06-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svernach View Post
I love them so far. Every time I listen to them I find something new I like about them. Vince was just at my company's new store Grand Opening event. I got to spend a few hours with him talking about music and speakers. He sent me a pair of Beaks, they came in today I haven't been home yet to try them out. I'm interested in finding out what they'll do!

They are suppose to dissipate some cabinet resonance but if you play the speaker to loud they jump on the cabinet and if you are like me the cabinet is tilted then they become useless but yes Vince is very passionate guy and he makes great speakers.

post #945 of 947 Unread 06-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've only got the DC's, but to anyone reading they certainly are ear-catching and a worthy addition to the short list. As an experiment I swapped in a Harman Kardon PM625 integrated amp. I think I might prefer it over the Nad! The C326 is decent, but I see what you mean about there being other options. I'll bow out now for a while, and keep those other amp options on the back burner.
I've had Dreamcatchers playing on an NAD 356BEE here at the store not to long ago and it sounded pretty good. I felt like it was missing something honestly. I swapped the NAD out for a Rotel RA-12 and liked it a a little better. I never experienced any of the issues you're having with the NAD though. I just thought it didn't sound quite as good as the Rotel. I have also married a few pairs of DC's with Peachtree integrated amps and absolutely loved the sound! I know you can pick up a used Peachtree for a great price right now!

We just started carrying Naim and at 60w the Uniti2 powers Forest Sigs really well. I'd say if you can find a used 5i it might be your best bet.
post #946 of 947 Unread 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
They are suppose to dissipate some cabinet resonance but if you play the speaker to loud they jump on the cabinet and if you are like me the cabinet is tilted then they become useless but yes Vince is very passionate guy and he makes great speakers.
HAHA! I've noticed that they move a little bit at higher volumes. My speakers are tilted a little bit as well and the Beaks started to slide toward the back a little bit. I used them on the Forest Sigs yesterday and because of the glossy finish and the tilt on those the Beaks slid right off the speaker. I don' know if I'm crazy but the highs did seem a little bit smoother when I was using the Beaks. Maybe I was just making myself believe i was hearing a difference...
post #947 of 947 Unread 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svernach View Post
HAHA! I've noticed that they move a little bit at higher volumes. My speakers are tilted a little bit as well and the Beaks started to slide toward the back a little bit. I used them on the Forest Sigs yesterday and because of the glossy finish and the tilt on those the Beaks slid right off the speaker. I don' know if I'm crazy but the highs did seem a little bit smoother when I was using the Beaks. Maybe I was just making myself believe i was hearing a difference...
You are not crazy as this might eliminate enough high frequency resonance to tame down the highs but the Signatures are pretty darn good without them, the Forest has a spike above 15kz that maybe ear bleeding sometimes but all in all pretty smooth speaker, the beak might address that problem on the Forest.

I own the Sigs and Fires, owned the Forest, The Rainmakers, The Mites, The Mites Ts and bought DCs to my mother. I know them pretty well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center