Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #1171 of 1259 Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 805
How do the on wall sound not too many places to hear them in Southern Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1259 Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
How do the on wall sound not too many places to hear them in Southern Cal
I still haven't gotten mine hooked up yet (soooo close.....), so in my setup, I don't know yet - but they're fantastic at my local dealer - however, they are mounted on the Tribe stands, not actually on-wall. Can't fathom they wouldn't sounds awesome on the wall too since that's what they were designed for! Not many Totem dealers up here in the SF Bay Area either, just got lucky one really close to me.
post #1173 of 1259 Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWIW - These spade connectors are perfect for the binding posts on the Tribes. Fit nice and secure, and seem really sturdy. Angle and clearance on Tribe stands is a good match:

https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-dead...e-plugs-1-pair

Not sure if these binding posts are used on other Totem lines?

post #1174 of 1259 Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
FWIW - These spade connectors are perfect for the binding posts on the Tribes. Fit nice and secure, and seem really sturdy. Angle and clearance on Tribe stands is a good match:

https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-dead...e-plugs-1-pair

Not sure if these binding posts are used on other Totem lines?

Yes pretty much any of the lower end models, Mites, Rainmakers, Sttaf, Arro and Dreamcathers all have the same binding posts.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #1175 of 1259 Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FINALLY! Got some time in on the Tribe IIIs......

Although I haven''t listened to them in pure stereo yet, I have been experimenting with them of course as surrounds, but also piping the same signal (music) into all of the speakers at the same time - so Paradigm mains and center, and 4 x DefTech DI8R in-ceilings - and the blending is fantastic. At least to me it is. There is nothing off-sounding about any of these speakers working together with exactly the same content. They all seem to be very nicely timbre matched to each other. Using Anthem-Logic Music mode out of my pre-pro, the ambience is fantastic (nice algorithm Anthem!).

It might be psychological, but I'm pretty sure I'm hearing a bit of nuance that I never detected before out of the Paradigms that I'm getting in the Totems; really fine detail with certain instruments that the Paradigms might be walking over a bit.

More to come.....
post #1176 of 1259 Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
FINALLY! Got some time in on the Tribe IIIs......

Although I haven''t listened to them in pure stereo yet, I have been experimenting with them of course as surrounds, but also piping the same signal (music) into all of the speakers at the same time - so Paradigm mains and center, and 4 x DefTech DI8R in-ceilings - and the blending is fantastic. At least to me it is. There is nothing off-sounding about any of these speakers working together with exactly the same content. They all seem to be very nicely timbre matched to each other. Using Anthem-Logic Music mode out of my pre-pro, the ambience is fantastic (nice algorithm Anthem!).

It might be psychological, but I'm pretty sure I'm hearing a bit of nuance that I never detected before out of the Paradigms that I'm getting in the Totems; really fine detail with certain instruments that the Paradigms might be walking over a bit.

More to come.....
I would not be surprised that would be a fact as Totem Tribes III and V have no x-over part in their woofer section and are both naturally rolled off. Insane what a 4 inch driver can do with this much control.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

post #1177 of 1259 Old 02-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My local dealer told me last week that there are some rumors about a tower version of the Tribe V's coming out this year. I don't have any real details, but it sounded intriguing to me.

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #1178 of 1259 Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminKing View Post
My local dealer told me last week that there are some rumors about a tower version of the Tribe V's coming out this year. I don't have any real details, but it sounded intriguing to me.

Possible as I saw one picture somewhere where we see a small floor stander that has dual 4 inch Torrent driver. Found it actually. Look on the far right the Piano black Tower with dual 4 inch Torrent driver, that must be it.

Last edited by BigAl87; 02-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.
post #1179 of 1259 Old 02-21-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Possible as I saw one picture somewhere where we see a small floor stander that has dual 4 inch Torrent driver. Found it actually. Look on the far right the Piano black Tower with dual 4 inch Torrent driver, that must be it.
Where would that put it on the Totem continuum? Maybe between the Forest Sig. and the Wind? Or is this really a new creature altogether?
post #1180 of 1259 Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where would that put it on the Totem continuum? Maybe between the Forest Sig. and the Wind? Or is this really a new creature altogether?
A new creature It would seems more in line with the Elements as an entry level Element floor stander in front of the Earth and the Metal as they respectively retail at 10K and 14K, those would probably retail around 6K a pair I presume.

Last edited by BigAl87; 02-21-2017 at 07:21 PM.
post #1181 of 1259 Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Will be at the show in Montreal this coming weekend and i expect Totem to present something new, stay tuned I'll post some pics.

post #1182 of 1259 Old 03-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Just a heads up to tell you guys World premier for Totem as they anunced for their 30th anniversary the release of the Sky Tower and also the Tribe Tower as you can see in the picture in piano black a few posts up.

More fun stuff coming out, patience theyre will be a direct replacement for the Model One later to match the Forest and Forest Signature. I promised some pics but unfortunately I ran too fast this morning and forgot my phone/cam
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1183 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a pair of used Totem Model 1 Signature, or what I believe to be signature...

The seller claims that the speakers are signature, but they don't say signature on the back. It just says Totem Model 1. However, the speakers came in their original packaging and on that package it says signature and the serial on the box matches with the speakers. Does anyone know if the earlier models came without "signature" marked on the back? The speakers sound great, I just don't want to be tricked in any way.

I can't attach an image link since this is my first post. I can PM image to anyone interested.

Thank you for your help.

Anthony
post #1184 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maio View Post
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a pair of used Totem Model 1 Signature, or what I believe to be signature...

The seller claims that the speakers are signature, but they don't say signature on the back. It just says Totem Model 1. However, the speakers came in their original packaging and on that package it says signature and the serial on the box matches with the speakers. Does anyone know if the earlier models came without "signature" marked on the back? The speakers sound great, I just don't want to be tricked in any way.

I can't attach an image link since this is my first post. I can PM image to anyone interested.

Thank you for your help.

Anthony
Congratz on new speakers

How many sets of binding post on them?

An what is the serial number on them?

Last edited by BigAl87; 04-05-2017 at 05:15 AM.
post #1185 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Congratz on new speakers

How many sets of binding post on them?
Thank you so much

There are 2 sets of binding posts on each.
post #1186 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 05:16 AM

The serial is: CI-007AB or might be C1-007AB.
post #1187 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The serial is: CI-007AB or might be C1-007AB.
Arer they hand written?

Possible you have some of the 1rst generation Signature version. Did the seller tell you how old they are?

g2g now but I'll get back to you later

M1 only had one set of binding posts. Later M1S had serial starting with M1S.

post #1188 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Arer they hand written?

Possible you have some of the 1rst generation Signature version. Did the seller tell you how old they are?

g2g now but I'll get back to you later

M1 only had one set of binding posts. Later M1S had serial starting with M1S.
They are hand written. The seller did say that he thought they might be the first signatures. Were there any major improvements on the later signature models?

Thank you so much for all your help, you're helping me relax!
post #1189 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They are hand written. The seller did say that he thought they might be the first signatures. Were there any major improvements on the later signature models?

Thank you so much for all your help, you're helping me relax!

Not that I know of as Totems are timeless speakers and even in follow-up reviews of Stereophile they normally measure the same over time. The major improvements were from the regular Model One to the Signature version but truly yes hand written with 2 sets of binding post they are M1S for sure and the box also helps confirming and if the Serial on the box matches Serial on speakers then I think all is good.

The only thing I read on Stereophile is in 2002 Totem did upgrade the internal wiring and I confirm the dual set of Binding posts appeared on the M1 Signature in 1997 so only the Signatures have dual set of binding posts.

Is there a serial on original box as maybe there was not at the time?

You could email info@totemacoustic.com and ask them kindly if they are signature version with your Serial number but I am 99.99% sure unless a pair of binding post has been added later and the speakers would be more than 20 years old.

Last edited by BigAl87; 04-05-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #1190 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Not that I know of as Totems are timeless speakers and even in follow-up reviews of Stereophile they normally measure the same over time. The major improvements were from the regular Model One to the Signature version but truly yes hand written with 2 sets of binding post they are M1S for sure and the box also helps confirming and if the Serial on the box matches Serial on speakers then I think all is good.

The only thing I read on Stereophile is in 2002 Totem did upgrade the internal wiring and I confirm the dual set of Binding posts appeared on the M1 Signature in 1997 so only the Signatures have dual set of binding posts.

Is there a serial on original box as maybe there was not at the time?

You could email and ask them kindly if they are signature version with your Serial number but I am 99.99% sure unless a pair of binding post has been added later and the speakers would be more than 20 years old.
Wow, that's a relief, was a bit worried there. Incredible that speakers hold up that well, they look brand new, no dents or anything. It's my first time buying used speakers but I heard the M1S a couple of years back and was blown away.

A serial which has been altered on the box you mean? No it hasn't been changed at all.

I have emailed Totem directly but have yet to receive a reply.

I paid $500 for the speakers, in terms of price that's not bad right? I found them listed for around $7-800 on other sites.

Once again, thank you so much for taking your time to help me. I'm always a bit wary och buying second hand but it seems to have worked out this time
post #1191 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Here's an image as I have now reached 5 posts

http://imgur.com/Xk8ONFF
BigAl87 likes this.
post #1192 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here's an image as I have now reached 5 posts

http://imgur.com/Xk8ONFF
Nice congrats and enjoy them no doubt in my mind they are Signature version from one of the first generations as I said the regular Model One only had one set of binding posts and also were produced before 1997 and Stereophile has it it their article here.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/t...GfJlomClD7e.97

Of course now it's all easier to validate with the M1S Serial numbers and fact it actually says Mopdel One Signature on the label but i am sur totem had some labels left during the transition.
maio likes this.

post #1193 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a relief, was a bit worried there. Incredible that speakers hold up that well, they look brand new, no dents or anything. It's my first time buying used speakers but I heard the M1S a couple of years back and was blown away.

A serial which has been altered on the box you mean? No it hasn't been changed at all.

I have emailed Totem directly but have yet to receive a reply.

I paid $500 for the speakers, in terms of price that's not bad right? I found them listed for around $7-800 on other sites.

Once again, thank you so much for taking your time to help me. I'm always a bit wary och buying second hand but it seems to have worked out this time
500$ is really cheap considering their little to no updates done to them and they keep their value, only serial number can give away their age but a recent pair of M1S used can be sold for $1500. Sometime people have Model One non signature for $700.

You got a great deal and a great speaker regardless of age honestly.
maio likes this.

post #1194 of 1259 Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Look for it in fall, I saw and heard them in Montreal Audio Fest, they are called the Tribe Tower. Edit: Here's a shot at them Totem has posted on their Facebook page.

Last edited by BigAl87; 04-08-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #1195 of 1259 Old 04-06-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Nice congrats and enjoy them no doubt in my mind they are Signature version from one of the first generations as I said the regular Model One only had one set of binding posts and also were produced before 1997 and Stereophile has it it their article here.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/t...GfJlomClD7e.97

Of course now it's all easier to validate with the M1S Serial numbers and fact it actually says Mopdel One Signature on the label but i am sur totem had some labels left during the transition.

Great news. I also got a confirmation from Totem themselves yesterday, they did confirm that they are indeed M1S.

"...the 2002 revision upgraded the internal wiring to an encapsulated silver type and used physically larger, polypropylene-bypassed capacitors. It also added to the rear panel, between the port and the binding posts, a copper medallion embossed with the Totem Acoustic logo and designer Vince Bruzzese's signature."

That's from Stereophile, so I guess I actually have a 2002 version if that information is correct? Or have they always had that copper medallion on them?

After listening for one day now I'm extremely pleased with their sound. It's a great set of speakers!
BigAl87 likes this.
post #1196 of 1259 Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Totem has posted this Black and white shot of the new Sky Tower on the facbook page, the picture was taken at Montreaql Audio Fest.

post #1197 of 1259 Old 04-08-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 581
So the Foreat will be replaced?

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #1198 of 1259 Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I hope not! Haven't gotten my Forest Sigs yet!!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1199 of 1259 Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
No Not at all the Sky is not the replacement for M1S, There is another Monitor in the 3K range that's coming.

post #1200 of 1259 Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hope not! Haven't gotten my Forest Sigs yet!!
Jonas you could pair your Tribes with Tribe Tower in Piano Blacke a perfect match, I would certainly recommend you to audition them but the did sound great, different of course than Forest signature but really close to youTribes for sure plus they are small floor standing speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page