Totem Acoustic Owner's Thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #1231 of 1259 Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGeek View Post
Thanks, BigAl87! I lean toward all verticals Tribe III for LCR as well and the only question is what is the spacing needed between the top/bottom bass ports and the upper/lower parts of the niche behind the screen (see the pic).

Attachment 2143634
12 inches clearance should be more than enough, i have seen Tribe I and II used as surround mounted about 6 inches from 8 foot ceiling and the port has enough room to breathe. not picky at all on placement or email totem at info@totemacoustic.com

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .

Last edited by BigAl87; 05-18-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1259 Old 05-19-2017, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Well, I'm definitely looking forward to your progress and how it all unfolds! Do include pics. if you are so inclined and get the chance, would love to see it!
Thanks! Will keep posted as progress is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
12 inches clearance should be more than enough, i have seen Tribe I and II used as surround mounted about 6 inches from 8 foot ceiling and the port has enough room to breathe. not picky at all on placement or email totem at info@totemacoustic.com
Seems to be not that much and feasible in my room. Thank you!

BTW, also got response from Totem:

Quote:
the Tribe 3 does need a minimum of 3 inches top and bottom for proper port venting ( 6 inches top and bottom ideal)
So 6 to 12 inches are pretty safe gaps to go
post #1233 of 1259 Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! Will keep posted as progress is going.

Seems to be not that much and feasible in my room. Thank you!

BTW, also got response from Totem:

So 6 to 12 inches are pretty safe gaps to go
More breathing room is better for sure, we would like you to share the end result with us once you are done. I know it might be a while but I have feeling you room will be really nice

Best of luck.

Sudgen A21se IA, Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

post #1234 of 1259 Old 05-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Totem Kin Mini Sub Quality?

Can anyone here give your opinion of this woofer in reference to build quality?

Use would be for Music listening but also TV and occasional Movies in a Condo where it needs to fill in the information from 80-100Hz down to 50Hz at a relatively low volume levels (usually not exceeding 80db at 10 foot listening distance). As this is for use in a condo, I prefer that it does not extend too low in frequency response so as to minimize disturbing other units in the complex. I know what I need would fall into the category of a Woofer rather than a Subwoofer and it seems like a pair of these could provide what I need. The other option I am considering is a pair of REL Tzero Subs.

Opinions please???
post #1235 of 1259 Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
Totem Kin Mini Sub Quality?

Can anyone here give your opinion of this woofer in reference to build quality?

Use would be for Music listening but also TV and occasional Movies in a Condo where it needs to fill in the information from 80-100Hz down to 50Hz at a relatively low volume levels (usually not exceeding 80db at 10 foot listening distance). As this is for use in a condo, I prefer that it does not extend too low in frequency response so as to minimize disturbing other units in the complex. I know what I need would fall into the category of a Woofer rather than a Subwoofer and it seems like a pair of these could provide what I need. The other option I am considering is a pair of REL Tzero Subs.

Opinions please???
Truly a nice little woofer with exceptional built quality and price. They do dig much lower than 50hz in room, in fact they go as low as 32hz +/-3db so 2 of them might get you more then what you are looking for actually. Heard that sub with the Kin Minis and wow that truly threw a nice soundstage. and very rich sound.

Kin sub for $200 more and dig 3hz lower with more displacement but 2 Kin Mini sub could end up in a better result if you place them properly.

You can look at the details here.

https://kinmini.com/en/kin-mini-sub

post #1236 of 1259 Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
More breathing room is better for sure, we would like you to share the end result with us once you are done. I know it might be a while but I have feeling you room will be really nice

Best of luck.
Yeah! Thanks a lot. Will post results for sure and maybe work in progress as well.
post #1237 of 1259 Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Truly a nice little woofer with exceptional built quality and price. They do dig much lower than 50hz in room, in fact they go as low as 32hz +/-3db so 2 of them might get you more then what you are looking for actually. Heard that sub with the Kin Minis and wow that truly threw a nice soundstage. and very rich sound.

Kin sub for $200 more and dig 3hz lower with more displacement but 2 Kin Mini sub could end up in a better result if you place them properly.

You can look at the details here.

https://kinmini.com/en/kin-mini-sub
Thank you BigAl87.

I have recently moved to an island and there are NO dealers for real HiFi/HT products here so I am dependent upon this forum, individual reviews and responses such as yours, and communicating directly with the manufacturer (as I had done). I am use to auditioning product in consideration for purchase and this is the first time that I will not be able to do this.

Do you know it there is a frequency response graph of the Totem Mini Sub available anywhere including in any magazine reviews? So far I have not found any nor have I gotten a response from Totem in my request for such a graph. But I do think that this sub could be the best for my application.
post #1238 of 1259 Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
Thank you BigAl87.

I have recently moved to an island and there are NO dealers for real HiFi/HT products here so I am dependent upon this forum, individual reviews and responses such as yours, and communicating directly with the manufacturer (as I had done). I am use to auditioning product in consideration for purchase and this is the first time that I will not be able to do this.

Do you know it there is a frequency response graph of the Totem Mini Sub available anywhere including in any magazine reviews? So far I have not found any nor have I gotten a response from Totem in my request for such a graph. But I do think that this sub could be the best for my application.
I have not seen one anywher unfortunately but any subwoofer will respond differently in different rooms, All I can say it sounded pretty flat at my dealer and low end extension is well below 50hz. My dealer is able fool customer having them think they listen to Monitor audio Silver 6 while it is Kin mini sub with Kin minis mounted on wall.

I owuld like you love to see a graph to see how it actually performs but i have yet to find one.

post #1239 of 1259 Old 06-19-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Yeah! Thanks a lot. Will post results for sure and maybe work in progress as well.
Any updates???

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1240 of 1259 Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Any updates???
It's too early. Still working on the whole design project of the apartment - lots of stuff to consider aside of HT: kitchen, bath, bedrooms etc )

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
post #1241 of 1259 Old 07-02-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently upgraded my home theatre speakers. I am in an apartment so couldn’t do anything too crazy. I ended up going with 4 Totem Mites, with a Mite-T Center.

These speakers sound amazing to my ears. Music has been great. I was concerned how they would work with movies, but I have had zero complaints to date.

I am looking into building out my home theatre setup with a pair of upward firing Dolby Atmos speakers. I know Totem doesn’t currently have any of these. Wondering if there are existing Totem users who have purchased 3rd party atmos modules. Is there a specific brand that would pair best with the Totem’s? Or does it not really matter?
post #1242 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all.

Need some advice on some Totem speakers.
My room is 17'x12'x8' with one opening on the left side of room towards the back about 4.5' wide.
Positioning for the L&R speakers are limited to the size of my fixed 100" 16x9 screen. The edges of the screen on both sides are 22" from the side walls.

Speaker i am looking at is the Rainmaker Center. I have a 19" stand and the height of the tweeter is about 4" on the speaker. That puts the tweeter roughly 23" off the floor. Do i need to tilt it up higher? Or is the dispersion on the center good enough?

I have not decided on mains yet but the Rainmaker make sense for obvious reason but what about the Sttafs?
Sttaf is more expensive but does not necessarily make it better. Will the Rainmaker center match the Sttafs?
I am buying these used so my choices are very limited.

I am trying to upgrade my Monitor Audio Bronze 2s.

Have been looking at MA Silver 2s which are 25% off due to new Silver line.
Totem speakers and Dynaudio X14s.

TIA

Sony HW45ES, Screen Innovations 100" 16x9 Screen
Anthem MRX 720, Rotel RMB 1075
Oppo BDP 103D, Toshiba HD A1
Technics SL-Q3, Ortofon Bronze
Monitor Audio Silver 2, Silver Center, Bronze 2(2), Bfx (2), Mass 10 (4)
Power Sound Audio S1800
post #1243 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have not seen one anywher unfortunately but any subwoofer will respond differently in different rooms, All I can say it sounded pretty flat at my dealer and low end extension is well below 50hz. My dealer is able fool customer having them think they listen to Monitor audio Silver 6 while it is Kin mini sub with Kin minis mounted on wall.

I owuld like you love to see a graph to see how it actually performs but i have yet to find one.
When Vince Bruzzese was at my dealer a couple of years ago he was in the large high end room with his floor standing Element series speakers sitting on top which no one noticed were the small Kin speakers hooked up to a Kin sub. Until he told us we thought the big speakers were playing. My dealer said he sold about 8 Kin setups that night. This week I just purchased Aerial 5T's the Kin sub will be added to my system in a few months. Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH is a full line Totem dealer and always has a Kin sub on display.
post #1244 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtLurker View Post
Hi all.

Need some advice on some Totem speakers.
My room is 17'x12'x8' with one opening on the left side of room towards the back about 4.5' wide.
Positioning for the L&R speakers are limited to the size of my fixed 100" 16x9 screen. The edges of the screen on both sides are 22" from the side walls.

Speaker i am looking at is the Rainmaker Center. I have a 19" stand and the height of the tweeter is about 4" on the speaker. That puts the tweeter roughly 23" off the floor. Do i need to tilt it up higher? Or is the dispersion on the center good enough?

I have not decided on mains yet but the Rainmaker make sense for obvious reason but what about the Sttafs?
Sttaf is more expensive but does not necessarily make it better. Will the Rainmaker center match the Sttafs?
I am buying these used so my choices are very limited.

I am trying to upgrade my Monitor Audio Bronze 2s.

Have been looking at MA Silver 2s which are 25% off due to new Silver line.
Totem speakers and Dynaudio X14s.

TIA
The Rainmaker center is in the Rainmaker/Hawk family, however it should sound fine together with the Sttaf.

The sttaf will play a little lower, but the Rainmaker is slightly more aggressive sounding. However with ARC the room correction should kee them sounding very close if you mix the 2.

The Silver 2 will sound larger then both the Excite X14 or Rainmaker. The excites are my personal tastes, they have good bass, full mids and smooth detailed highs and probably the best balance. The Rainmaker I thought had a slight recession in the mids but throw a large soundstage and good bass too. The Silver 2 highs are probably the most aggressive (rainmakers not too far back) but good detail to compete with the others, the best bass response but maybe a little too prominent. However overall they're very, very much all in competition with each other. Depending how you like your sound... will really determine what you'd prefer.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #1245 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would experiment with tilting. You don't have to do this. but it will sound different aimed straight out vs. aimed more towards your ears.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1246 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
The Rainmaker center is in the Rainmaker/Hawk family, however it should sound fine together with the Sttaf.

The sttaf will play a little lower, but the Rainmaker is slightly more aggressive sounding. However with ARC the room correction should kee them sounding very close if you mix the 2.

The Silver 2 will sound larger then both the Excite X14 or Rainmaker. The excites are my personal tastes, they have good bass, full mids and smooth detailed highs and probably the best balance. The Rainmaker I thought had a slight recession in the mids but throw a large soundstage and good bass too. The Silver 2 highs are probably the most aggressive (rainmakers not too far back) but good detail to compete with the others, the best bass response but maybe a little too prominent. However overall they're very, very much all in competition with each other. Depending how you like your sound... will really determine what you'd prefer.
Thanks for your insight. Can't really go wrong with any of those which is comforting.

Hope Jonas2 doesn't think i'm stalking him. Lol, following him from the Anthem thread.

The Dyns are more expensive only because not many on the used market.

The Totems are in the middle. Whereas the MAs i am just trading straight up.

The Rainmakers are the only 4ohm in the group. Is the MRX 720 powerful enough to drive them for HT?
I watch movies @ -15, -10 on the volume dial.

I have external power for the Center and Atmos.
The MRX 720 will be powering the L&R, Surrounds and Rears. So 6 channels and 2 @ 4ohms.

Power Sound Audio S1800
post #1247 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hope Jonas2 doesn't think i'm stalking him. Lol, following him from the Anthem thread.

Quote:
The Rainmakers are the only 4ohm in the group. Is the MRX 720 powerful enough to drive them for HT?

The MRX 720 will be powering the L&R, Surrounds and Rears. So 6 channels and 2 @ 4ohms.
My Totem dealer has always insisted that Totem in general is more "power hungry" than the average speaker, but I'm thinking you'll be O.K. Just listen for distortion/clipping.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1248 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would experiment with tilting. You don't have to do this. but it will sound different aimed straight out vs. aimed more towards your ears.
The dynaudio center stand can work for all center channels it's like $150, but you can tilt at different degrees. Also the SF1 can be used on centers with lesser depths, X24 and Rainmaker both would work fine.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #1249 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. Can't really go wrong with any of those which is comforting.

The Dyns are more expensive only because not many on the used market.

The Totems are in the middle. Whereas the MAs i am just trading straight up.

The Anthem will do fine with the rainmakers or any of the speakers you're considering.

I used an Anthem MRX300 to power my Dynaudio Focus 260s and it did fine. My Naim integrated amp did better tho.

post #1250 of 1259 Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 PM

So 6 month old Rainmakers or 6 year old Sttafs?

Same price...

Most likely pairing with Rainmaker Center or even Dreamcatcher.

TIA

Power Sound Audio S1800
post #1251 of 1259 Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So 6 month old Rainmakers or 6 year old Sttafs?

Same price...

Most likely pairing with Rainmaker Center or even Dreamcatcher.

TIA
Tough call.... I think totem speakers are built to last, so even tho the sttafs are 6 yrs old I think they'll be fine. The Rainmakers would match the Rainmaker center for a very coherent front soundstage. Of course you could always look into the Mite-T Center, which would match the sttafs. The sttafs will play a little louder and deeper... and personally I like soft dome and ribbon tweeters over metallic ones.

post #1252 of 1259 Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Tough call.... I think totem speakers are built to last, so even tho the sttafs are 6 yrs old I think they'll be fine. The Rainmakers would match the Rainmaker center for a very coherent front soundstage. Of course you could always look into the Mite-T Center, which would match the sttafs. The sttafs will play a little louder and deeper... and personally I like soft dome and ribbon tweeters over metallic ones.
Really appreciate your input. It is invaluable to me when searching for speakers.
Interesting enough, the Rainmakers are 4ohm yet the center is 8ohm. The Mite-T center is 4ohm and the Sttafs are 8ohm.

Power Sound Audio S1800
post #1253 of 1259 Old 07-30-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really appreciate your input. It is invaluable to me when searching for speakers.
Interesting enough, the Rainmakers are 4ohm yet the center is 8ohm. The Mite-T center is 4ohm and the Sttafs are 8ohm.
Don't be worry about the ohm ratings - but what your heart and minds tells you. Don't over think it.

post #1254 of 1259 Old 08-13-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Tweeter buzzing on totem Sttaf?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this sort of thing. I am getting a vibrating sound from the tweeter one of my Sttaf speakers. This occurs at moderate to high volumes and seems to be a certain frequencies. I have checked for loose external connections and the screws on the binding posts are tight. Has anyone else had this experience? If so what was the path to resolution?

Thanks Dmac
post #1255 of 1259 Old 08-13-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Have you tried the standard procedure of swapping left for right to see if the offending noise moves with the speaker or is within the one channel?

Try that first if you haven't.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #1256 of 1259 Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Have you tried the standard procedure of swapping left for right to see if the offending noise moves with the speaker or is within the one channel?

Try that first if you haven't.
Thanks,

I did try that an the problem moved with the speaker.The tweeter sounds pretty scratchy and it gets worse at higher volumes. I sent an e-mail to Totem yesterday and have not heard back from them yet. I wonder if the tweeter is covered by the warranty.
post #1257 of 1259 Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac99 View Post
I did try that an the problem moved with the speaker.The tweeter sounds pretty scratchy and it gets worse at higher volumes. I sent an e-mail to Totem yesterday and have not heard back from them yet. I wonder if the tweeter is covered by the warranty.
Yes, it would be covered under warranty so long as they determined it wasn't damaged by abuse or something like that.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1258 of 1259 Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it would be covered under warranty so long as they determined it wasn't damaged by abuse or something like that.
hehe I am back guys, yeah Jonas but usually if Op has a dealer Totem is not to picky for that they won't even verify heck they even replaced my tweeter cause i torn the foam surrounding them on my Mites but they were a bit responsible for that.

I will also say i probably abused the driver of my Forest signature driving them 5 db above reference with my powerful Bryston amp and they replaced the drive within the warranty no questions asked.

post #1259 of 1259 Old 08-15-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hehe I am back guys, yeah Jonas but usually if Op has a dealer Totem is not to picky for that they won't even verify heck they even replaced my tweeter cause i torn the foam surrounding them on my Mites but they were a bit responsible for that.

I will also say i probably abused the driver of my Forest signature driving them 5 db above reference with my powerful Bryston amp and they replaced the drive within the warranty no questions asked.
That's excellent!! Totem no question has fantastic service, it's just that technically speaking - they could use the "abuse" card if they wanted/needed to, at least according to their policy, which really is the policy of most if not all speaker manufacturers!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page