Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 509 Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone get a chance to hear the new Totem in-wall subs at Cedia? Very nice products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 509 Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

They were quite awesome.
Not to mention the Wind Design in Red was playing its ass off!
I just signed on to be a dealer in Kansas City, actually the only one in KS and MO.

I ordered a pair of Wind in cherry veneer, Sttaf in mahogany, Dreamcatcher in mahogany and Tribe III in Black.

They arrive next Tuesday... can't wait for my pair of Wind!
post #183 of 509 Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM

I just realized that I joined AVS in Oct of 2007 and just now made my first post.... that's F!@*ing crazy...
post #184 of 509 Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1WhiteKid View Post

They were quite awesome.
Not to mention the Wind Design in Red was playing its ass off!
I just signed on to be a dealer in Kansas City, actually the only one in KS and MO.

I ordered a pair of Wind in cherry veneer, Sttaf in mahogany, Dreamcatcher in mahogany and Tribe III in Black.

They arrive next Tuesday... can't wait for my pair of Wind!

Great selections, you're going to love the Sttafs, I'm listening to them right now. Make sure you get the Trentmoller CD The Last Resort. Track 2 really shows off the Winds low frequency capabilities.
post #185 of 509 Old 10-10-2009, 05:07 AM

I currently have a pair of Totem Arro in my 2 channel setup (driven by a Rotel RA-06, rb-1072). But im thinking about upgrading to a 5.1 system (maby 7.1 in the future), with a Marantz 6004 or onkyo 707/807 amp (leaning toward the Onkyo due to its Full register pre-out)

I would like to have advice what speakers to get as back/center. DC/rainmaker or mite-2? Or would I benefit to get a pair of Totem forrest as front and use my totem arro as back or sell and get a totem forrest / Rainmaker setup.
Have found a pair of Totem forrest for $2000 (half retail price here in sweden).
post #186 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am going to put together a new Home Theater 5.0 (no sub) system for a new Condo and am considering Totem Forest speaker for front and surround Left and Right positions and the Totem Model 1 Signature Center. Does anyone have any experience with a similar system and what is your experience with it?

I am considering powering this system with a Rotel RMB-1575 five channel amplifier (250W per Channel into 8 ohms/ 500 W per channel into 4 ohms - ICE amplifier modules used). Is anyone using a similar Totem/Rotel combination and what is you experience with this?

My room will be 18' wide and a total depth of 29' including kitchen and dining room area. My actual listening distance is expected to be between 8' and 10' and I should be able to have surround speakers at 110 degrees from center at a near equal distance as the L-R speakers. My concern is mainly music playback though the system will be used for more movie and TV listening. I would like the best imaging and deep sound stage as possible above all else. I am also employed in the Professional part of the Audio Industry.

I have been unable to find anyone in Connecticut where I can preview the Totem Forest speakers. If anyone can suggest a Connecticut location or somewhere within a two hour drive of Connecticut where the Totem Forest speakers can be auditioned it would be much appreciated.

I am also considering the B&W 803S/804S combination and the PSB Synchrony One/Two combination and some Monitor Audio combinations. Any comparison or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chucka
post #187 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanderhenrik View Post

I currently have a pair of Totem Arro in my 2 channel setup (driven by a Rotel RA-06, rb-1072). But im thinking about upgrading to a 5.1 system (maby 7.1 in the future), with a Marantz 6004 or onkyo 707/807 amp (leaning toward the Onkyo due to its Full register pre-out)

I would like to have advice what speakers to get as back/center. DC/rainmaker or mite-2? Or would I benefit to get a pair of Totem forrest as front and use my totem arro as back or sell and get a totem forrest / Rainmaker setup.
Have found a pair of Totem forrest for $2000 (half retail price here in sweden).

If you plan on listening to your 5.1 at very load levels then I would not recommend the Arros as your mains, if not then they will be fine. Use the Dreamcatchers as your rears. I have Rainmakers as my LCR and Dreamcatchers for the rears, great combo. If you do decide to go with the Forests then you'll have a fantastic system with the Arros as the rears.
post #188 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

I am going to put together a new Home Theater 5.0 (no sub) system for a new Condo and am considering Totem Forest speaker for front and surround Left and Right positions and the Totem Model 1 Signature Center. Does anyone have any experience with a similar system and what is your experience with it?

I am considering powering this system with a Rotel RMB-1575 five channel amplifier (250W per Channel into 8 ohms/ 500 W per channel into 4 ohms - ICE amplifier modules used). Is anyone using a similar Totem/Rotel combination and what is you experience with this?

My room will be 18' wide and a total depth of 29' including kitchen and dining room area. My actual listening distance is expected to be between 8' and 10' and I should be able to have surround speakers at 110 degrees from center at a near equal distance as the L-R speakers. My concern is mainly music playback though the system will be used for more movie and TV listening. I would like the best imaging and deep sound stage as possible above all else. I am also employed in the Professional part of the Audio Industry.

I have been unable to find anyone in Connecticut where I can preview the Totem Forest speakers. If anyone can suggest a Connecticut location or somewhere within a two hour drive of Connecticut where the Totem Forest speakers can be auditioned it would be much appreciated.

I am also considering the B&W 803S/804S combination and the PSB Synchrony One/Two combination and some Monitor Audio combinations. Any comparison or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chucka

I would save some money and go with the Rainmaker center, it's an excellent speaker. Check the Totem website for dealers in your area
post #189 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

I would save some money and go with the Rainmaker center, it's an excellent speaker. Check the Totem website for dealers in your area

The dealers listed on the Totem website for my area do not have Forest Speakers available for audition and most do not have a showroom. I have requested from Totem a more complete list and then I will start making phone calls. I will try to check out the Rainmaker center.

Thanks

Chucka
post #190 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm running the Totem/Rotel combo. Totem mite T and Mite TC upfront and mite in the rear powered by a Rotel 1075. Used to just be powered by a Denon AVR 3600 and used it as a preamp when I added the used Rotel. Big upgrade in the sound. Much more punch than with the Denon. Just picked up an Onkyo PR SC 886 preamp and am dumping the Denon,but due to room construction had not had a chance to listen to this combo yet.
post #191 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The dealers listed on the Totem website for my area do not have Forest Speakers available for audition and most do not have a showroom. I have requested from Totem a more complete list and then I will start making phone calls. I will try to check out the Rainmaker center.

Thanks

Chucka

As an FYI the Forests are my favorite of the Totem line, you won't be sorry with those.
post #192 of 509 Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbearsfan34 View Post

I'm running the Totem/Rotel combo. Totem mite T and Mite TC upfront and mite in the rear powered by a Rotel 1075. Used to just be powered by a Denon AVR 3600 and used it as a preamp when I added the used Rotel. Big upgrade in the sound. Much more punch than with the Denon. Just picked up an Onkyo PR SC 886 preamp and am dumping the Denon,but due to room construction had not had a chance to listen to this combo yet.

I tell my dealers do not even think of using Denon with Totem speakers, the amps suck.
post #193 of 509 Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I tell my dealers do not even think of using Denon with Totem speakers, the amps suck.

Really, I always thought that Denon (at least their higher end receivers) had decent amps. What receivers would you think would work well with them? H/K, Onkyo, Yamaha?

I'm running my Hawks on a 30w/60w tube amp, albeit in a small room, but they seem to get plenty of power for the volume levels I listen at.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #194 of 509 Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

If you're going to go with mass market receivers then go with HK or Integra, Onkyo is an OK choice. A few of my dealers who like Denon's on board processors and control capibility pre-out to a Parasound 5 channel amp to be able to deliver good quality sound.
post #195 of 509 Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to know - I just picked up an Onkyo 906. It's rated at 140 watts / channel - one channel driven of course. Not sure how many watts it puts out with 5 channels driven (my guess would be 90 or 100). My H/K powers my Energy speakers in my home theatre (I do have a separate h/k amp though - the PA2000 bridged for 100 watts / channel) and it is plenty for the Energy's and the Hawks sound good on it too.

post #196 of 509 Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM

I now have had a chance to audition the Forest speaker in two different locations including a pair that had just been taken out of the box and had only a couple of hours of break in before I heard them. I was very impressed and am seriously considering these for my future condo.

Can you tell me what AMPLIFIER and WIRING you have experienced that WORK POORLY with Totem speakers, especially the Forest's. I would also like to know what YOU are using with Forest speakers that you would recommend.

Chucka
post #197 of 509 Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was really disappointed with Denon's sound, it was the 23 something. Also the Rotel 1560 lacked punch, no bass umph but then again many digital amps suffer from that. Good choices, in the lower cost range, Integra, Mac, HK. In the higher price and to truly enjoy the Forests, Parasound, Arcam, Naim are the ones I really enjoyed.
post #198 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have M&K LCR-55MKII speakers and I was wondering if anyone has compared them to Totem Mites? I am thinking of changing.

I currently have 3 LCR-55MKII's and 2 K-4's with a Velodyne SPL1000r MKII sub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #199 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:

I was really disappointed with Denon's sound, it was the 23 something. Also the Rotel 1560 lacked punch, no bass umph but then again many digital amps suffer from that. Good choices, in the lower cost range, Integra, Mac, HK. In the higher price and to truly enjoy the Forests, Parasound, Arcam, Naim are the ones I really enjoyed.

Have you had a chance to listen to these amplifiers with the Totem's? Which Parasound? I am surprised to see you list the Mac in the low cost range?

Chucka
post #200 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM

I've been searching for speakers for two months now and have realized that I really want a pair of Forests. I love the sound and imaging of Totem, and specifically haven't found this quality of imaging in many other speakers (I mostly listen to Orchestral music). I would appreciate notification if anybody hears of a pair of Forests (under a 2 years old preferably) for a good price. I've read of people finding them for under $2000, so that's what I'm hoping to find.

feel free to email me at jeremy.maitland[at]gmail.com

thanks
post #201 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetlore View Post

I've been searching for speakers for two months now and have realized that I really want a pair of Forests. I love the sound and imaging of Totem, and specifically haven't found this quality of imaging in many other speakers (I mostly listen to Orchestral music). I would appreciate notification if anybody hears of a pair of Forests (under a 2 years old preferably) for a good price. I've read of people finding them for under $2000, so that's what I'm hoping to find.

feel free to email me at jeremy.maitland[at]gmail.com

thanks

Keep an eye on http://www.audiogon.com/

Chucka
post #202 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

I have M&K LCR-55MKII speakers and I was wondering if anyone has compared them to Totem Mites? I am thinking of changing.

I currently have 3 LCR-55MKII's and 2 K-4's with a Velodyne SPL1000r MKII sub.

I sold my M&K 750's when I bought my Totems. M&K is a good speaker for movie sound tracks but aren't very musical. The Mites are much more musical than the M&K's but will still perform well for movies.
post #203 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep an eye on http://www.audiogon.com/

Chucka

Just don't buy them from MSS Hifi.
post #204 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Interesting. I have been watching Audiogon, of course. Why not MSS? I'll admit, I emailed MSS once asking if they'll lower their price at all, and got a very rude response from them. Still, I'm wondering why you say to not deal with them?
post #205 of 509 Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. I have been watching Audiogon, of course. Why not MSS? I'll admit, I emailed MSS once asking if they'll lower their price at all, and got a very rude response from them. Still, I'm wondering why you say to not deal with them?

Because the owner is an enemy of Totem. That's the only detail I'll go into.
post #206 of 509 Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a recent review on the new Totem Winds.

http://hometheaterreview.com/totem-a...aker-reviewed/

post #207 of 509 Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Winds sound great in person. I spent some time with them at CES and CEDIA. Interesting look too

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #208 of 509 Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:

A.K.A the audio pimp,you can google it but basically the name says it all.thats ONE reason they changed the name.
post #209 of 509 Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I have three totem mite-t speakers that I want to use as my left, center, and right speakers for my home theater.

I'm on a bit of a budget when it comes to the receiver. Will an will Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver be sufficient to drive the speakers? I remember something vaguely about 4 OHM vs. 8 OHM, and that the totem need plenty of clean power.

I bought the speakers a while back, and currently drive use two of them with an NAD integrated amp. I love the speakers, but I now want to use them in a home theater setup.

The mite-t speakers are pretty big...I haven't figure out whether I have room for the center channel.

thanks!

Coop
post #210 of 509 Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 AM

If you ever run into any problems with MSS Hifi, don't expect Audiogon to help out. Audiogon will consistently side with person/company that yields them the most profit/revenue.

In my case, it happened with Joe Martelli of JMSound.

It is a sad fact, but very true. Take it with a grain of salt, but the warnings have been expressed .
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page