Quad Lite Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at the book store today and read a short but extremely positive review on Quad Lite home theater speakers for around $2000 in some speaker magazine. I did some internet searches and could only find dealers in the UK.

Anyone ever hear of Quad Lites? I searched the forum and really couldn't find any talk about them. Any input would be great.

I am looking for home theater speakers in the $2000 range and I definitely wanted to check these out but as far as I can tell, no one really has them.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy anything with "lite" in the name for $2000. That being said TSTO has a Quad lite system for $1000. Quad has a great reputation so their lite 5.1 system is probably worth $1000, but not $2000 IMHO.

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2626
post #3 of 14 Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

I wouldn't buy anything with "lite" in the name for $2000. That being said TSTO has a Quad lite system for $1000. Quad has a great reputation so their lite 5.1 system is probably worth $1000, but not $2000 IMHO.

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2626

Thanks for the link. That's a great price and the only quote in dollars I have seen. I'll need to find that article tomorrow to make sure these are what they reviewed. If so, I'll probably nab them.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For anyone interested here is a link to the review I read: http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3916/ in the November "The Absolute Sound".

The reviewer states:
"I'v reviewed many $2000 surround systems over the past year, a handful of which were exceptional, and let me tell you straight up that the Quad L-ite system belongs in the exceptional group - Possibly up near the top. Despite the diminutive size of its speakers, the Lite ensemble sounded remarkably clear, energetic, sure footed, and downright authoritative....The Quad-L-ite system is one of the four or five best $2K surround rigs I have ever heard"

He is comparing it to other $2000 systems, so at less than $1,000 from tsto.com it sounds like a no brainer to buy these things. As far as I can tell, there is no store in my area to audition these speakers so I would need to go on this over the top review (and great price). If it is ranks with the best $2000 systems it has to be the best $1000 - or is my thinking all wrong?

Other speakers I am looking at are the KEF Kht3005s. I can get them for a few hundred more, they sound good to me, but I am put off a bit by the egg shape, I prefer the timeless look of the rectangular speakers.

I am just wondering if "The Absolute Sound" gets paid off to write good things about certain products.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Mamasboy:

I would not worry about The Absolute Sound getting paid off to write good things about certain products, particularly inexpensive stuff like the Lites. I do know HP has been given some mega systems on long-term "loan", but that's a story for another day.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #6 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I went and bought these things sound unheard. I couldn't pass up the half price deal on speakers that rank with the best $2000 setups.

The wife will really be angry, she already can't stand or new hi def 60 inch plazma TV and the sharp perfect picture. I cringe when she hears real sound.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

We (me and the mouse in my pocket) look forward to your thoughts and comments on your new system.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 AM

I actually heard them today here in Singapore.... awesome sound... I had to double check they were coming from the smallish speakers..... very coherent centre and it matches very well to the sub, so the sound its big and cohesive... it was a tad 'bright' but it could have been because of the listening room or because the speakers were not broken in.

I have the Quads 12Ls front, Quad Sub, centre and (just bought) the 9L2 as rears... I went to buy the Quad-lite as rears, but the dealer gave me the 9L2 at the same price as the Quad-lites (2 speakers only, not the whole surround), so I went with the 9L2 instead.....

I thought the Quad-lite package for a small/medium room would be a great set up .. top Sub which integrates well with the satellites .....

Quads in general have a very balanced, clean and clear sound

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I received and set up my Quad L-ite 5.1 system and am extremely impressed. Not sure why they call them lite - I almost hurt my back unpacking and moving the impressive sub in place. Actually they call them L-ite because they are slightly smaller then the highly respected Quad L series speakers.

I have owned some high quality giant floor speakers in the past and these things sound just as big, clear and smooth. Their sound completely blows away the KEF KHT3005s that I auditioned several times and would have purchased if not for their funky sci-fi shape, the KEFs look and sound like toys compared to these these speakers.

A big thumbs up to sterankoman (above) for giving me the link to get these speakers for under $1000. Now that I hear them and see the quality of their build I would have spent $2000-$3000 without thinking twice if there was a local store I could have auditioned them at in my area.

As far as them sounding bright, I thought that at first but I now have them sounding buttery smooth with the proper adjustment of the Sub Woofer. The sub has tons of optional settings to get peak sound performance out of this system. Also, be sure to set the front and rear speakers to small, my Pioneer 94 elite auto set up insisted on setting them up as large speakers which was bringing the sub output down to almost nothing. The amazing thing is the pioneer tagged the small surround speakers as large speakers (that says something about their output) so I needed to manually set them as small speakers. Once I did that and ran auto setup again, the sound opened up like nothing I heard before in a 5.1 system. I would put these speakers with my receiver up against any 5.1 speakers under $5k and I am confident they would hold their own.

Finally my home theater sounds like I am at the theater and even all my ripped music sounds remarkable (I went digital a few years ago and ripped my entire cd collection to high quality MP3s and put the original cds in storage- but that is for another post).

Even my wife is onboard with these things when she finally discovered that great surround speakers make listening to movies more enjoyable (plus the price helped) My wife is a person that would normally be happy with one speaker sound on a early 90s TV set, rather than hassle with turning the receiver on. Now her eyes don't roll when I cue up the speakers for a DVD movie.

I am so glad I didn't buy the lesser quality, more expensive spaceship and egg looking KEFs (talk about bright sounding) and trusted the review I read in a random audio magazine. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, I am so happy with these speakers. By far, the best high end low cost home theater purchase I ever made. They truly match the performance and quality of my receiver and my PRO-150FD Elite 60 plazma. I think I am set for the long run until holographic movies come out.

If you need home theater speakers that compete with the big boys and are on a budget, these speakers are a no brainer at under $1k. They sound so great you can tell your friends you paid $5k and really impress them
5 out 5 stars!!

post #10 of 14 Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

I received and set up my Quad L-ite 5.1 system and am extremely impressed. Not sure why they call them lite - I almost hurt my back unpacking and moving the impressive sub in place. Actually they call them L-ite because they are slightly smaller then the highly respected Quad L series speakers.

I have owned some high quality giant floor speakers in the past and these things sound just as big, clear and smooth. Their sound completely blows away the KEF KHT3005s that I auditioned several times and would have purchased if not for their funky sci-fi shape, the KEFs look and sound like toys compared to these these speakers.

A big thumbs up to sterankoman (above) for giving me the link to get these speakers for under $1000. Now that I hear them and see the quality of their build I would have spent $2000-$3000 without thinking twice if there was a local store I could have auditioned them at in my area.

As far as them sounding bright, I thought that at first but I now have them sounding buttery smooth with the proper adjustment of the Sub Woofer. The sub has tons of optional settings to get peak sound performance out of this system. Also, be sure to set the front and rear speakers to small, my Pioneer 94 elite auto set up insisted on setting them up as large speakers which was bringing the sub output down to almost nothing. The amazing thing is the pioneer tagged the small surround speakers as large speakers (that says something about their output) so I needed to manually set them as small speakers. Once I did that and ran auto setup again, the sound opened up like nothing I heard before in a 5.1 system. I would put these speakers with my receiver up against any 5.1 speakers under $5k and I am confident they would hold their own.

Finally my home theater sounds like I am at the theater and even all my ripped music sounds remarkable (I went digital a few years ago and ripped my entire cd collection to high quality MP3s and put the original cds in storage- but that is for another post).

Even my wife is onboard with these things when she finally discovered that great surround speakers make listening to movies more enjoyable (plus the price helped) My wife is a person that would normally be happy with one speaker sound on a early 90s TV set, rather than hassle with turning the receiver on. Now her eyes don't roll when I cue up the speakers for a DVD movie.

I am so glad I didn't buy the lesser quality, more expensive spaceship and egg looking KEFs (talk about bright sounding) and trusted the review I read in a random audio magazine. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, I am so happy with these speakers. By far, the best high end low cost home theater purchase I ever made. They truly match the performance and quality of my receiver and my PRO-150FD Elite 60 plazma. I think I am set for the long run until holographic movies come out.

If you need home theater speakers that compete with the big boys and are on a budget, these speakers are a no brainer at under $1k. They sound so great you can tell your friends you paid $5k and really impress them
5 out 5 stars!!

Hey, the shop couldn't source the 9L2 in black, so I went back to my original choice, the Quad-Lites in black, to match my 12Ls front and Quad Centre channel .... it gets all delivered tomorrow (including 905 onkyo amp & Quad Subwoofer) .... I can't wait to set it all up ....

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM

I recently got some Quad Lites too. At first they seemed to need a lot of power and I wasn't as impressed with the sound as I expected to be based on comments here and elsewhere.

After about two weeks of use, they are sounding better and better to me and seem to require less power to achieve a listenable level. I suspect at least some of this is the result of breaking them in with normal use during this period. I've also tweaked some level settings on my receiver to balance the sub and surrounds better for my environment.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM

I listened to the Quad L-ite system about a year ago and it was amazing. The compact bookshelf speakers really have a very detailed and large sound stage for their size. My only gripe with these speakers was their inefficiency of 86 db I believe and being too small for my family room. If you have a medium size room or smaller these speakers are great.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-24-2007, 03:44 PM

Liked: 11
I have been searching for a new set of speakers to replace my beloved Ascends and settled on either Totems or Quads. I found a set of new Quads for $1650 shipped. That's for the 22L L2 Version 2 Floorstanders, 12L bookshelves and the new 2L centre, all in bird's eye maple.

I will let you know how things go with it once I receive them!

--TDA

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
post #14 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We had a bowl game party Friday and after the football game dancing broke out. It's been a long time since that happened. All of my buds were eying the Quads thinking I spent a fortune on them by the way they were sounding. Good times.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page