Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
-
IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING - JUST SCROLL DOWN to the final question to answer it.

Here's my situation, please help.

-I only have a very small room to set up my home theater
-I have a quality Onkyo 7.1 sound system
-I have a 40 inch, "somewhat thin" Samsung LCD flat-panel that was top-of-their-line last summer
-I sit about 6ft or a little less away from the screen in my seating
-All the Onkyo 7.1 speakers I'm using are quite large at least 1-3 feet in size, big "block-looking" speakers

And...so I have comfortable placement for all my speakers except for the left and right fronts. All the speakers are sort of close to me in physical distance but it seems fine.

HOWEVER, my situation is that I have no room to put the L/R fronts anywhere except BEHIND the actual LCD screen. I can space them apart to the left and right "behind-area" of the screen, and I can have them a few inches away from touching the back of the display - but that is the best I can do for placement without changing everything else to hell.

So the question is:
---Will putting large L/R speakers behind a solid LCD display seriously damage my sound performance at a seating distance of 6ft away from those same speakers?

---Would you recommend doing so in a pinch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

---Will putting large L/R speakers behind a solid LCD display seriously damage my sound performace at a seating distance of 6ft away from those same speakers?

Obviously, YES!

Quote:

---Would you recommend doing so in a pinch?

NO!

Do you have a picture or diagram that would demonstrate exactly why this is your only option? I think you 'may' have some other options.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Well, I don't have a picture. The gist of the problem is that I'm forced to build a poor-man's home theater due to a lack of options.

To be more clear though: the stand for my display is only wide enough to hold the TV, the F/L speakers won't fit around it on the side.

The other thing is that the room is so small I need a display that is small with wheels so the whole thing can be rolled left and right for people to be able to walk around it.

The room is already cluttered with furniture and crap that my wife thinks would be a sin to move - and I'm only lucky enough that I already actually do have a stand that fits all my equipment and is still easily mobile.

It's just the L/R fronts...
post #4 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OH! I also couldn't really move the seating/placing of the HT gear around anyway because I just realized that doing so would totally jeopardize the perfect placement of the 4 rear speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If you have no choice, why ask? Yes, it is a truly sub-optimal arrangement and should be avoided if at all possible. Is it?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^Well, I needed to know if - like you said - it was truly a sub-optimal arrangement. If that is truly true...then, well, nothing is completely impossible.

What would be the effect if I put the L/R fronts up about 4 feet higher than the center speaker and at about twice the distance of seperation they have now between each other? I may be able to do that using one piece of furniture and then 1 solo speaker stand.

Would that be okay/better? If I did so, at least then they would be unobscured... But they would also be about 3 feet above my ears...
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh, by the way - the LCD sits high enough on its on attached stand that, even if placed behind the set, - the L/R fronts are only truly obscured in their top 2/3rds.

So in other words, placing them behind would still leave the bottom 1/3rd of the speakers with nothing blocking them.

Any opinion there?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In a small room like that with all your "conflicts of interest" for space, forget the 7.1 "perfect placement of the rear speakers" and go for 5.1. Better to compromise the rears (or go with 3.1) than to obscure the fronts in any way. And do what you can to get the other stuff elsewhere in the house or into storage.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

In a small room like that with all your "conflicts of interest" for space, forget the 7.1 "perfect placement of the rear speakers" and go for 5.1. Better to compromise the rears (or go with 3.1) than to obscure the fronts in any way. And do what you can to get the other stuff elsewhere in the house or into storage.

Amen.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

oh, by the way - the LCD sits high enough on its on attached stand that, even if placed behind the set, - the L/R fronts are only truly obscured in their top 2/3rds.

So in other words, placing them behind would still leave the bottom 1/3rd of the speakers with nothing blocking them.

The 'top 2/3rds' would be exactly what you do not want to block.

If no picture is available, how about a diagram of the room's layout with your proposed position for your TV and speakers. We answered your question and told you that blocking your front speakers is not a good idea. We'd like to help you find a reasonable solution, but we need a diagram (or pic).

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page