The Floorstanding listening thread begins ... - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nuance you may have answered this on here already but I have looked at the studio 100's and loved them. I am very interested in the Rocket 850's. which would you suggest for someone who mostly watches movies? I run a Yamaha receiver that does 120 watts per channel and has the ability to bi amp the fronts. I don't really want boomy but I do want to feel it(does that make sense?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Nuance you may have answered this on here already but I have looked at the studio 100's and loved them. I am very interested in the Rocket 850's. which would you suggest for someone who mostly watches movies? I run a Yamaha receiver that does 120 watts per channel and has the ability to bi amp the fronts. I don't really want boomy but I do want to feel it(does that make sense?)

The Paradigm's do have a slightly boomy characteristic due to the bass hump in the frequency response. It'd definitely audible but should be able to be EQ'd out or alleviated if the speakers are crossed over to a subwoofer. YMMV

The Rocket's have deep bass, but it isn't as impactful as the Paradigm's. The Paradigm's use 3 7" woofers (I believe) and the Rocket's use 4 5.25" drivers. If you want more bass you simply move the Rocket's closer to the wall or cross over to a subwoofer.

For HT both would be awesome, but the Rocket's are half the price, better looking and have a higher sensitivity, so they'll be more dynamic. I also think their performance at least matches the Paradigm's, so it's a no brainer for me. However, you should certainly audition both and make your own decisions.

The Rocket's cannot be biamped, but the Paradigm's can.

Hope that helps.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That does help. I was kind of leaning towards the Rockets already. I just love the look of the Paradigm. I guess I'll just have to give the Rockets a try. The worst I'll lose some on shipping. It's time to stop looking around and get something bought. I like my Klipsch setup but it's time for an upgrade.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

That does help. I was kind of leaning towards the Rockets already. I just love the look of the Paradigm. I guess I'll just have to give the Rockets a try. The worst I'll lose some on shipping. It's time to stop looking around and get something bought. I like my Klipsch setup but it's time for an upgrade.

Like I mentioned, don't take my word as fact. You may have the complete opposite opinion.

Can you find an audition of the Rocket's in your area? You can head over to the av123 forums and post an audition request. I'm sure there is someone in the area, and the guys and gals over there are very friendly.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole