Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I think it is funny that people actually get offended if you dont like their speakers. Its like saying "your kid is ugly and so is your wife." I have deftechs and enjoy them very much. If someone does not, that's fine.

So far, I am really impressed with them, too. They are a brick and mortar speaker which give the ID guys a run for the value buck.

Keep in mind, this is after one night with them, but so far, for $800 street price, I like them. What I did NOT want to happen is people being turned off this thread for either reason: bashing OR excess gushing.

And the CLR-3000 is a BEAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

A floor stander simply means just that: a speaker that's base extends to the floor ...

I prefer speakers that float in the air. Ever heard of that guy whose momma's legs were so short, when she stood up her feet didn't reach the ground?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Craig, why did you decide to not have a point system in the floorstanding speaker comparison? I actually like it a lot. I really liked if you do a point system for bass/midrange/treble/imaging etc. If not, it's OK. We should vote if we want a point system. Delete my post if you think the point system is a bad idea. But I hope to know why the point system is excluded in the comparison. Thank you Craig, We can't express the gratitude to you for doing all this.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin View Post

Craig, why did you decide to not have a point system in the floorstanding speaker comparison? I actually like it a lot. I really liked if you do a point system for bass/midrange/treble/imaging etc. If not, it's OK. We should vote if we want a point system. Delete my post if you think the point system is a bad idea. But I hope to know why the point system is excluded in the comparison. Thank you Craig, We can't express the gratitude to you for doing all this.

A point system works when there is a set starting point and finishing point, with the same group of listeners, with tight controls.

This test will run until somewhere around April ... and we will see a lot of speakers going through here.

If we have another GTG, and have a group willing to do points, it could be done.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig-

I was bummed that I missed the bookshelf GTG (damn Master's courses...my Sierra-1's feel like Outkasts...), but I'd love to contribute/participate in the floorstander "eval." You're only about an hour east of us and if you're game, I'd love to bring my Studio 100 v3's for a test drive. How are you structuring the listening sessions?

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Jason - You will be welcome, and if we cannot get a pair of Studio 60 V.4's, the 100 V.3's will be welcome. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 PM

Craig,

Is the switcher in Canada now? With Axiom for some testing?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley63 View Post

Craig,

Is the switcher in Canada now? With Axiom for some testing?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes, Axiom has the switcher now, and will be checking it out, and (hopefully) sending out some graphs for everyone to see.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 AM

Craig,
What about Ohm Microwalsh Tall. Planning to order first of year - but -
maybe would give Dana and Usher a try also.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

It may or may not be back before you guys get here. If it isn't, no big deal. We will just play a set for a while, you guys write down what you think, then we do the next pair.

This is not a contest between the speakers, it is merely to get unbiased conditions about the performance attributes of them.

You guys will have driven 9 hours, found my booze cabinet, and generally will noy be in any condition for science, anyway ... I will settle for reasonable competence.

Heck, I'll be happy if you don't get lost on the way here

LOL! Well, switcher or not, it's gonna be a heck of a time. I appreciate the warm invite! It will be well worth the drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

I prefer speakers that float in the air. Ever heard of that guy whose momma's legs were so short, when she stood up her feet didn't reach the ground?

LMAO!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 AM

I'd like to see the following in the mix too:

B&W 683
Monitor Audio RS6 or 8
Dali Ikon 6 or 7
Swan 6.1
Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

I'd like to make a suggestion, but will definitely add a lot of time to the do the comparisons. So if it isn't done, I won't care. I think the speakers should go through an audition twice, and probably matched against a different set of speakers the second time through.
I just think that opinions of strengths and weaknesses can change after you hear other sets of speakers. And I really think an opinion of the speaker depends on what it is matched against. I do think it would be interesting to see how the opinions change, or don't change.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seean54 View Post

I'd like to make a suggestion, but will definitely add a lot of time to the do the comparisons. So if it isn't done, I won't care. I think the speakers should go through an audition twice, and probably matched against a different set of speakers the second time through.
I just think that opinions of strengths and weaknesses can change after you hear other sets of speakers. And I really think an opinion of the speaker depends on what it is matched against. I do think it would be interesting to see how the opinions change, or don't change.

You are describing what we do here quite well. The reason a points system is so hard is because we do a circulating style test. Each speaker is listened to against several others, over a period of time.

I know we clamour for instant answers, but instant is usually not all that good.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
hey craig, are all speakers going to be run "full range" with no crossover ?

are all tests going to be 2 channel music only ?

will speakers be "toed in" ?

associated equipment and listening material ?

no, this is not your mother-in-law

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As the owner of Paradigm Studio 60v3s, I'll be interested in this thread. But I would also like to see the Magnepan MG1.6 in the race.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicult View Post

I'd like to see the following in the mix too:

B&W 683
Monitor Audio RS6 or 8
Dali Ikon 6 or 7
Swan 6.1

I second the Dali Ikon 6 or 7. By adding a ribbon tweater speaker it would be a great compliment to the the other speakers while diversifying the shootout.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Dear lord (and Craig)

PLEASE test the Revel F12s!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seean54 View Post

This is certainly a good suggestion, and as I saw Craig say below, this is the manner that the test is conducted in. This makes me very pleased because it is how I audition speakers when I head out to the local (or not so local) shops and homes. Now I am even more excited for next weekend!

Dr. Olive's Blog

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to work on getting a pair of Revels here ... they sure look like a terrific speaker.

The Usher V604's, Dalis and a pair of Paradigms ... and probably a pair of Klipsch towers to fill out the pack.

I think that would make for a pretty good selecion.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:

I am going to work on getting a pair of Revels here ... they sure look like a terrific speaker.

The Usher V604's, Dalis and a pair of Paradigms ... and probably a pair of Klipsch towers to fill out the pack.

I think that would make for a pretty good selecion.

awesome! after reading a bit about revel/harman's lab, i have a new level of respect for those guys. i'll try to find the article.

here is one.

here is just a snippet, "Room position: The position of the speaker within the room can affect the sound character more than the actual differences between the speakers. This unwanted variable is unrelated to the actual sound quality and must be eliminated from listening sessions. You don't want to rate a speaker as sounding better only because a particular location made it sound better. Therefore, a listening lab was developed where the speakers all shuffle into the same position within the room for listening, removing that false variable from listener's assessments."

"What does all this mean? Well, one thing it means is that good sound quality is not so much a matter of individual taste as was previously thought. It is not totally subjective, as is wine tasting. It was found that there are objective criteria that people with good hearing and decent analytical capability can agree upon. Loudspeaker design is, to a large degree, a science, and as a result, scientific measurements can be a predictor of loudspeaker preferences."

The Tao of Speaker Design -- Part 1 with Revel Loudspeakers is the article that i was referring to.

if anyone has these papers, please let me know:

Olive, “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: Part I – listening test results, AES preprint 6113 (2004)

Olive, “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: Part II – Development of the Model, AES preprint 6190 (2004)

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No JBL Studio L890 in the mix?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Still needs moar Monitor Audio.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

No JBL Studio L890 in the mix?

I'll second these along with something from Ohm Acoustics.

What would also be interesting is to see how an old pair of Klipsch Fortes would do.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll second monitor audio & wharfedale
Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 AM

I think Aperion's 633T will help round out the mix.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Round one begins Saturday! Woohoo!

We'll be there, Craig, sleet or snow.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I wholeheartedly agree when doing A-B listening tests you should only concern yourself with the "sound". However for anyone who purchases speakers, the "look" of them very important too. Speakers are furniture in your house.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

I wholeheartedly agree when doing A-B listening tests you should only concern yourself with the "sound". However for anyone who purchases speakers, the "look" of them very important too. Speakers are furniture in your house.

My wife would agree with you.

However.

As I am the guy who wanted to put up pics of "Dogs Playing Poker" on those gorgeous black velvet canvases, my opinion apparently is irrelevant.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I am the guy who wanted to put up pics of "Dogs Playing Poker" on those gorgeous black velvet canvases, my opinion apparently is irrelevant.

I had a set of those when I was a teenager. Just loved them. Anyway will be glad to hear the results. Godallmighty how many different floorstanders will you end up testing? I know at least a few dozen have been mentioned.
Thank you very much Craig for doing this. Even though it would be fun, that is a lot of hard work setting them up and moving them around etc. And let's not forget the money involved even if you don't buy the speakers(which I think I saw a thread where you mentioned you had quite a few from the bookshelf shootout for sale). Anyway I could go on but I'll just stop with Thank You and Thank Your (wife, girlfriend, partner, significant other, children, roommate) whatever applies for putting up with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

and probably a pair of Klipsch towers to fill out the pack.

I will be interested to see if there are casualties from the laser beams shooting out of the horns.

Or if people suddenly won't hear the brightness when the horn isn't staring them in the face.

My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.