The Floorstanding listening thread begins ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As with the Bookshelf thread, we are going to spend spare time this winter listening to moderately priced floorstanding loudspeakers.

The first four contenders are as follows:

Rocket 850's
Rocket 760's
Tyler SuperFreedom Towers ($3000-$3000)
Swan 6.2F ($1299-$1299)

More will be added as time goes on, with many people participating in the process. Rather than a points system, strengths and weaknesses will be discussed.

The 850's and 6.2's will be the first ones listened to - and will wrap up by about 11-11-2007 ... A special "guest star" should be here on November 10 ... Nuance and 2 others are driving in to purchase the 850's, 760's, etc ... and will hopefully be spending a few hours doing some listening and posting their thoughts.

Suggestions for future speakers are welcome ... with these general guidlines

1. They must be readily available for under $1500 per pair
2. They must have a matching center channel and surrounds available.
3. They must have wide distribution.
4. The must be true floorstanders.

Pending speakers:

Salk Sound SongTowers
Axiom has pulled out of competition
Dana Floorstanders
Acculine A3's
Paradigm Studio 60's (or something else if the 60's break the budget
Usher 604's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Summary # 1 from Nuance, after auditionining, in this order, the Swan 6.2, Acculine A3, Rocket 850 Sigs, Salk SongTowers, Def Tech BP-10B and NHT Classic2/w a sub:

We each chose one of three available seats (of which we remained for all 6 rounds while listening) and got comfortable. To ensure a true blind test occurred we sat in complete darkness minus the small glow of the front end gear LED’s. The speaker grill material was also placed over the speakers being listening to, just in case our eyes adjusted to allow us to be clued into what speakers were playing. All audio gear was McIntosh (plenty of juice to ensure no clipping, odd distortion or compression occurred).

The audition material consisted of a live Jazz-like piece that was heavy on the female vocals but was also a truly perfect song to determine the speaker’s ability to achieve proper microdynamics and separation of instruments. The second part of the audition material consisted of the same CD that AJ (my brother), Justin and I spliced together before we started our auditions a few weeks ago. We used an audio program to cut and splice our favorite parts from our favorite songs into one 19 minute track. It consisted of some heavy rock/metal (in order to test dynamics and bass slam), classic rock, heavy piano and vocal based music such as Josh Groban and Live and some progressive rock (a good genre to test separation of instruments). It should be noted that much of the progressive and heavy rock had a ton of classical influence, sometimes even sound as if a symphony was playing along with the band. All in all the audition tracks pretty much covered all the bases that we wanted.

While listening to the first set of speakers I was pleasantly surprised. They had good separation of instruments, a lush midrange and decent bass. The middle to upper frequencies may have been a bit forward, but not too bad. Bass extension was decent, but could have gone lower. The soundstage was pretty decent and gave me the “they are here” feeling. I thought to myself “Heck, these are the first pair of speakers…5 to go, and I wouldn’t mind just taking these home with me.” They were certainly musical but could have had tighter bass. I was certainly impressed, but being as they were the first speakers and much comparing was ahead, I knew it was plausible that they probably wouldn’t remain at the head of the pack (I was for the most part wrong).

Being as this was the first speaker we had audition blind, I tried to use it as a reference and go back to it when comparing to the others. It remained the reference speaker until the third round.

After each round we were sent upstairs so we could fill out our score sheets while Craig got the next pair ready. Each category had a maximum of 10 points and a minimum of zero (0 being the worst and 10 being the best). Without giving out scores we all agreed that speaker #1 (whatever brand it was) was a good one to start with. It did many tings well and only a few wrong. Of course, after listening to the other 5 we knew that our perceptions could change, but still…good stuff.

Here are my scores as indicated after the first round of listening:

Definition – 8.0
Continuity of Soundstage - 7.5
Width of Soundstage – 7.0
Impression of Width/Depth - 7.5
Abnormal Effects - 1.5 (lower is better)
Ambiance-Spaciousness - 8.5
Dynamics - 8.0
Overall Rating - 7.8 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number 1 was the Swan Diva 6.2’s run full range in stereo mode. This is certainly a good speaker for the price. If it had a little more bass depth and tightness it would have scored higher marks. Even though I had read that the tweeter used on the Swans is a “poor performer,” this is not how I felt. And even if this is true, the engineering made up for it because it was not evident during the listening tests.

Round two commenced and not even 3 minutes into it and I began to get squeamish and fidgety. The high frequency of this speaker was piercing and shrill. The midrange, though not as forward as the upper frequency, was still overpowering and very un-engaging. There was virtually no bass depth or punch. Needless to say this made it difficult to hear the separation of instruments, especially when a half dozen were playing at once. Voices sound thin and too “in your face;” there was nothing lush or captivating about it. Although the treble was so overpowering and forward, the speakers still lacked detail, especially subtle nuances. The soundstage was small; very easy to determine where the sound was coming from. When pushed to higher levels, they sounded thinner – worse. This speaker proved to be the worst rated speaker of the day.

Here are my scores pertaining to the second round of speakers:

Definition – 5.0
Continuity of Soundstage – 3.0
Width of Soundstage – 2.5
Impression of Width/Depth – 2.5
Abnormal Effects - 4.5 (lower is better)
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 5.5
Dynamics – 5.5
Overall Rating - 4.0 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number 2 was the Acculine A3 run full range in stereo mode. While up stairs writing down my thoughts on this speaker I remember thinking to myself “Oh man…please God don’t let those be the Rocket 850 Sig’s that I planned on taking home.” Fortunately, they weren’t, but I didn’t know this until many hours later. In lieu of the above, I cannot recommend this speaker to anyone, though please remember they were the cheapest pair of the group.

It was time for round three and we were all eager to get swinging. Much to my delight this speaker immediately made me forget my worries about the former speaker. This speaker had the best midbass slam and reached the deepest of all the speakers listened to thus far, something of quite the opposite of the Acculine A3. The midrange was engaging and slightly warm and the treble was airy and detailed but in no way fatiguing. This speaker had good separation of instruments with no details being overlooked. I would describe this speaker overall as very balanced. This was the first speaker that, with certain tracks, sent chills down my spine and made the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stand up, especially while listening to the Josh Groban piece. I knew I could relax and listen to this speaker all day long. It was also the most dynamic speaker of the day thus far (when cranked, it just kept going without compressing or sounding thin or harsh). At the end of the round we all agreed we had heard and felt bass that we hadn’t thus far. So far this speaker gave the fullest sound.

At this point the three of us would have been happy to take speakers 1 or 3 home. This isn’t to say they were perfect, just the best so far with speaker number 3 having the slight edge in overall performance.

Here are my scores pertaining to the third round of speakers:

Definition – 8.0
Continuity of Soundstage – 8.0
Width of Soundstage – 7.5
Impression of Width/Depth – 7.5
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 8.0
Dynamics – 9.5
Overall Rating - 8.1 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number 3 was the Onix Rocket RS850 Signature run full range in stereo mode. When I found out which speaker this was I was delighted! I am very anal and sometimes let that get the best of my decisions, but this speaker appeased me in that area as well as others. What can I say other than Mark Schifter has done is again!

After enjoying some refreshments it was time for round 4. From the beginning this speaker was very engaging. It had my utmost attention from song 1 and it kept getting better from there. This was the most detailed speaker of the bunch with a midrange that took second to none in the clarity department. Every detail was reproduced but clearer than any of the other speakers so far. Separation of instruments was a cinch. Near the middle of our listening session (perhaps 10 minutes in) I started to feel that this speaker was this engaging because it may have a slight forwardness to the midrange. Whatever it was, I didn’t mind it at all but came to the conclusion that it may not be for everyone (some may get fatigued by it). However, I really did love how every detail was present without having to strain or really focus to hear it. Whether this was an accurate presentation or not, I don know. What I do know is that I liked it. Moving on to bass: this was the one area that I was a little disappointed in. The bass was tight and fairly balanced, but it didn’t extend low or have that midbass slam that the third speaker did. If this speaker would have had that attribute, it may have won by more than it did (which was just by a hair). My other quandary with this speaker was that they lost some of their magicality when pushed to higher levels. This is when that slightly forward midrange began to overpower the rest of the FR. However, if you don’t listen at reference levels this may not be an issue. Also, when paired with a sub it may be resolved.

Here are my scores pertaining to the forth round of speakers:

Definition – 8.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 8.5
Width of Soundstage – 8.5
Impression of Width/Depth – 8.0
Dynamics – 7.5
Overall Rating - 8.2 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number 4 was the Salk Song Tower run full range in stereo mode. Yup, Craig fibbed about what speakers were going to be involved just to keep us honest. I remember while listening to the Salk’s thinking “hmm…these don’t sound anything like I’ve read concerning the speakers that Craig said would be involved.” In the end, they were a pleasant surprise. I was shocked by their mere asking price of $1500. Congrats, Jim; you have a fine product on your hands.

After a short 5 minute break our second to last round was underway. The very first apparent thing was that these speakers now took the deepest and most impactfull bass title away from contender # 3, though not by a lot. The bass line on the jazz piece just sounded “right.” My friend plays a string bass and it sounded most realistic on this speaker (which was what I previously had thought about speaker # 3). The difference between 3 and 5 wasn’t huge, but the bass extended a little lower and was slightly more impactfull. It made for a very “full” sound. While listening to the next series of spliced tracks the speakers almost gave me a feel that they weren’t floor standers but rather a pair of bookshelf’s crossed over to a subwoofer. Justin was actually the first to make this deduction, one of which I was believed more and more the longer we listened. The reason we both felt this is because the midrange seemed to have a suckout, perhaps at the crossover point. The mids weren’t as engaging and didn’t present an open and large soundstage. When I focused it was impossible to try to determine where the singer may have been on stage. Finally, the vocals came from a small window between the speakers; if I moved my head left or right it quickly shifted in that direction. This made for a small soundstage and less than ideal imaging (in comparison to the other contenders). Lastly, the treble was not too hot nor too laid back, but it just didn’t give me an “I’m there” feeling. It almost seemed to come from behind the midrange and bass, as if the tweeter was placed further back in the listening room.

Here are my scores pertaining to the fifth round of speakers:

Definition – 7.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 7.5
Dynamics – 8.0
Overall Rating - 7.7 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number five was the Definitive Technology BP10B. I was almost sure this was a bookshelf sub combo due to the well tuned bass and slight midrange suckout…I was wrong. For $1000/pair, they certainly aren’t bad at all. In fact, they were my brother’s favorite speaker (I’ll let him comment on them later).

The last round of the night was an interesting one. When the auditioning began the bass was full and big, but the mid’s and treble sounded lifeless and recessed. Perhaps the bass overpowered them. While continuing to listen we found ourselves talking amongst each other because the mechanical sound coming before us wasn’t engaging. A word that I used to summarize these speakers was “stale.” We all agreed they weren’t very impressive but that the gobs of bass may have added to that. After the contenders were revealed we gave speaker # 6 another listen after better fine tuning the subwoofer. They certainly sounded better than before, but they were still stale and fairly un-engaging. We just couldn’t “get into them” especially after listening to a sub $200 pair of bookshelf speakers that defeated speaker # 6 in dynamics, clarity and overall appeal. These were certainly a disappointment; however they didn’t quite meet the criteria of the “floor standing” speaker GTG (an explanation of that below).

Here are my scores pertaining to the sixth round of speakers:

Definition – 4.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 6
Width of Soundstage – 6
Impression of Width/Depth – 5.5
Abnormal Effects - 3.5 (lower is better)
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 4.5
Dynamics – 6
Overall Rating - 5.4 (averaged and rounded without the abnormal effects score)

Speaker number six was the NHT classic 2 crossed over to an eight inch subwoofer.

After the listening tests the speakers were revealed with my favorites being the Salk Song Tower and Onix Rocket RS850 Signature’s. I think we were all shocked at how poor the Acculines and NHT’s performed, which is one reason were gave the NHT’s another listen. While they did sound better after some careful tuning, they still left us uninterested. If I had to re-score them they would receive a 6.5 or so overall.

While having to deal with a flat tire, cheap hotel, minimal sleep, a $110 tire replacement and our entire Sunday being ruined sounds terrible, the trip was well worth it for me; I consider it a success. Meeting Craig and his family was truly a pleasure! And his home…wow; what a beautiful place to be! It’s one of the nicest homes I have stepped foot in.

To conclude, I really enjoyed our road trip. Things certainly got a little hairy, but now we have fun stories to tell. I now have a system in my home that will keep me more than satisfied until I one day find my “perfect” system (I think/hope Justin will say the same thing as he took home a pair of Rocket 760’s and a Bigfoot center channel). AJ now knows what speaker to save up for, so I am sure he’ll start squandering what he has until that day comes. Within our stated price range of $1500 or less for speakers, ID really does offer an amazing bang for buck. I would certainly choose the Salk Song Towers and Rocket RS850 Sig’s over the Paradigm Studio 100’s I auditioned a few weeks back. And oh, what’s this? They are quite a bit cheaper too! It’s good to know that I can put my faith in some of the ID offerings, even if it does mean I’ll be called a fan boy of that brand. Say what you like, but I’ve put a lot of time into this hobby, not to mention a lot of miles, and I can safely say that the Salk Song Towers, Onix Rocket 850 Sig’s and the Swan 6.2’s are the real deal.

Summary from Shadow Hunter of 5 out of the 6 speakers. The NHT's were not included in his notes:

Here are my notes from the GTG
Swan 6.2's

Bass was extended, but a bit muddy at times
Midrange was very good
Definition of sound images: 6.5
Continuity of sound stage: 7.5
Width of sound stage: 5.5
Impression of width/depth: 6.5
Abnormal effects: 2.5
Ambience-spaciousness:6.5
Dynamics: 9.0
Overall rating:6.8

Acculine A3's
Upper bass had odd artifacts
Voices were relatively harsh
Small Soundstage
Definition of sound images: 5.0
Continuity of sound stage: 4.0
Width of sound stage: 4.0
Impression of width/depth: 3.5
Abnormal effects: 4.0
Ambience-spaciousness: 5.0
Dynamics: 7.0
Overall rating:4.75

Rocket 850 Signatures:
Bass was very tight
Mids were accurate and neutral
Voices were very accurate
Very musical speaker, easy to listen to
Very "fast" speaker, no overhang on notes
Definition of sound images: 9.0
Continuity of sound stage: 9.0
Width of sound stage: 9.0
Impression of width/depth: 8.5
Abnormal effects: 1
Ambience-spaciousness: 9.0
Dynamics: 9.5
Overall rating:9

Salk SongTowers:
Bass was very tight
Large soundstage
Very fast speaker, much like pair#3
Definition of sound images: 8.0
Continuity of sound stage: 8.0
Width of sound stage: 9.5
Impression of width/depth: 9.0
Ambience-spaciousness: 9.0
Overall rating:8.83

Def Tech BP-10B
Good Bass, lacking a bit of slam
Slightly laid back
Very listenable, not fatiguing
Definition of sound images: 8.0
Continuity of sound stage: 7.0
Width of sound stage: 8.5
Impression of width/depth: 8.5
Ambience-spaciousness: 8.5
Overall rating:8.33

Here are AJ's summaries:

Swan 6.2

Loved the overall sound. All elements mixed well, excellent balance.
Definition – 7.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 6.5
Impression of Width/Depth – 6.5
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 8.5
Dynamics – 8
Overall Rating - 7.3

Acculine A3

Great concert live sound, but scratchy highs and mids. Very weak bass with over powering treble.
Definition – 5.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 6.5
Width of Soundstage – 6.0
Impression of Width/Depth – 5.0
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 6.0
Dynamics – 7.0
Overall Rating - 6.0

Rocket 850 Sigs

Very musical with excellent integration of instruments. Music sounded live, and vocals were terrific. Tight bass, with good extension.
Definition – 9.0
Continuity of Soundstage – 9.0
Width of Soundstage – 9.0
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 9.0
Dynamics – 9.5
Overall Rating - 8.9

Salk SongTowers

Great, balanced sound. Bass a little weak, but pretty good. Excellent mids and highs, very clear.
Definition – 8.5
Continuity of Soundstage – 9.5
Width of Soundstage – 9.5
Impression of Width/Depth – 8.5
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 8.5
Dynamics – 9.0
Overall Rating - 8.9

Def Tech BP-10B

Amazing sound, with the best bass of all the speakers. Sounds blended extremely well.
Definition – 9.0
Continuity of Soundstage – 9.0
Width of Soundstage – 9.0
Impression of Width/Depth – 8.5
Ambiance-Spaciousness – 9.0
Dynamics – 9.5
Overall Rating - 9.0
post #3 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

I sent Jim an email to see if he can spare a pair of Songtowers. Hard to do with keeping up with orders and all.

Pete
post #4 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 907
can't wait for the results.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Definitely looking forward to this one, Craig. Good to have you back!

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #6 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
We can't wait for the 10th and will be happy to post our impressions. I won't let my bias towards my purchase make my decision, however; It'll be all honest opinions here.

Looking forward to the GTG, the results (and our mini GTG)!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

We can't wait for the 10th and will be happy to post our impressions. I won't let my bias towards my purchase make my decision, however; It'll be all honest opinions here.

Looking forward to the GTG, the results (and our mini GTG)!

As you will be listening blind, bias won't be an issue ... What, did you think I was going to take it EASY on you ?
post #8 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

As you will be listening blind, bias won't be an issue ... What, did you think I was going to take it EASY on you ?

Excellent! The plot thickens...

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #9 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

out of curiosity are speaker suggestions allowed,or have they been preset as to what is going to be reviewed.
post #10 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Now, on the list of threads in the speaker section of the forum, there will be a little black dot thingy in the enevelope in front of this thread so I can find it easily.

Jack

post #11 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
post #12 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

out of curiosity are speaker suggestions allowed,or have they been preset as to what is going to be reviewed.

Good thought, I added the guidlines for suggestions in the opening post. To keep this an easy thread to navigate, all basic information and results will be added to posts #1 and #2 of this thread. Past threads have forced people to wade through a lot of pages of info to find the "good stuff".
post #13 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

I really wish the Acculine A3s were in on this early group - the same way the A1s and 2s surprised so many in the bookshelf GTGs, I'd like to see how the A3s do in this bunch.
post #14 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I'm patiently awaiting my Rocket 850's (and Bigfoot...and 450's...), but I'd be interested to see how the eD A6's would stack up. They're a little less pricey at $500, but if their subs are any indication, they may perform well above their pricepoint.
post #15 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre View Post

I really wish the Acculine A3s were in on this early group - the same way the A1s and 2s surprised so many in the bookshelf GTGs, I'd like to see how the A3s do in this bunch.

Jon Lane mentioned he was expediting things by shipping a pair out ... so you may get your wish.
post #16 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

are we going to get any measurements? some folks would love to see how these floorstanders hold up in the low- and mid-bass. cea-2010 max clean rms output @2m (20-25-31.5-40-50-63hz) could be *very* interesting.

in return for these measurements, we promise to eat all of our vegetables, do our homework, and go to bed early.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #17 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

are we going to get any measurements? some folks would love to see how these floorstanders hold up in the low- and mid-bass. cea-2010 max clean rms output @2m (20-25-31.5-40-50-63hz) could be *very* interesting.

in return for these measurements, we promise to eat all of our vegetables, do our homework, and go to bed early.

LTD02 - keep your measurements to your '6.5" drivers just don't rock' thread! We only want subjective opinions in this thread!

I kid, I kid... Seriously, love your work! Just wish I'd never read that thread, as now I dream about 15" Tannoys like my uncle used to have when I was a kid.
post #18 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Energy provides a couple options under $1500. I would say the C-500's for $600, but most audiophiles on here would say the reference line. They all have matching surrounds. Subs as well, but I'm not a big fan.
Looking forward to this thread Craig.
post #19 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm probably going to be ridiculed for suggesting it...but how about throwing a pair of the Polk RTi series in? For many of us they seem to be a starting point on the road to more elaborate systems.

Thanks
post #20 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 AM

I wish I lived closer. I'm planning on buying a set of Klipsch RF-82's and would love to see how they stack up to some of those speakers that I considered but due to the inability to listen to them all I made my choices based on what I could hear.

- Jon
post #21 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunprophet View Post

I wish I lived closer. I'm planning on buying a set of Klipsch RF-82's and would love to see how they stack up to some of those speakers that I considered but due to the inability to listen to them all I made my choices based on what I could hear.

- Jon

I would say you did the right thing then - it's all about what you hear!
post #22 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM

can't wait to see the results, and i hope your family is doing okay.
post #23 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I would like to suggest the Usher V604.
post #24 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd like to reiterate my interest in:

Revel F12 ($1300-$1500/pr)
SVS MTS Towers ($1500/pr; should be out by the end of the year)
Paradigm Monitor (either 9s or 11s)

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #25 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Craig, any tower offerings from Dana going to be in the mix. I know that you liked their bookshelf.

Also, I would love to see you get a set of the Salk Songtowers to add into the mix.
post #26 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldog78 View Post

I'd like to reiterate my interest in:

Revel F12 ($1300-$1500/pr)
SVS MTS Towers ($1500/pr; should be out by the end of the year)
Paradigm Monitor (either 9s or 11s)

Thanks!

I'd like to second these three.

Revel is the high end consumer line Harmon Int., right? Given that they have the world's largest r&d budget, it would be interesting to see what they have put to market.

The SVS have that sexy air-circ tweeter and have demonstrated technical leadership (w/JL) in the sub arena, but audiophile speakers are a whole other beast. Can SVS hold up?

Even though Craig has heard the Paradigms and wasn't completely impressed, they are one of the most popular brands, so they should probably have a horse in the race.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #27 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Even though there cheaper than everything listed, I would love to see the Elemental Design floorstanders to see how they compare in there price range.
post #28 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd also like to add that i wish i still lived in central PA. I'd be all over making the trip to Erie from State College! If only i had taken 3 extra years to finish that phd, i'd still be there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #29 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

Even though there cheaper than everything listed, I would love to see the Elemental Design floorstanders to see how they compare in there price range.

That would indeed be awesome. I've been curious how these stack up seeing as their subs do so well for so little $$$.

- Jon
post #30 of 484 Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

^ LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post

I'm probably going to be ridiculed for suggesting it...but how about throwing a pair of the Polk RTi series in? For many of us they seem to be a starting point on the road to more elaborate systems.

Thanks

No reason to ridicule, its a good idea, but how about the next line up (LSi's) instead? I think those would be more on par with the competition.

I'll also reiterate my vote for Paradigm Studio 60's.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page