Best wireless headphones for HD DVD and Blu-ray movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a good wireless 5.1 headphone set, but with HDMI support (for 5.1 lossless TrueHD or PCM audio).

But all the 5.1 headphones I've found have an optical connection, not HDMI, like those:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...+Surround.html

Any help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 PM

I'm looking at the Q-home FX by LTB. They have freeshipping and a 30 day money back guaranty. I talked to them the other day about the 5.1's and am convinced they are above many of the others like Sony and pioneer in technology. I like the idea that I can use them for my xbox 360 on or off line. They even have a mic that clips on. Take a look t the link below.

http://www.shopltb.com/catalog/
post #3 of 17 Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM

Hi,
Sorry for the thread-jack. Does anyone know of a good quality surround sound adapter that could be used with a good quality headphones, like the HD650 for instance. I did find this in audio cubes, but am not sure if there are others similar/better to this one. Any hints suggestions, deepy appreciated

Thanks in advance
post #4 of 17 Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post

I'm looking at the Q-home FX by LTB. They have freeshipping and a 30 day money back guaranty.

Thank you, but those lack HDMI input, so they don't provide lossless sound.

5.1 Headphones for HD DVD and Blu-ray must feature HDMI input, otherwise you cannot eperience next gen audio codecs provided with HD DVD or Blu-ray.

|
post #5 of 17 Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 AM

I'm pretty sure digital is digital. As long as you have a tos-link or digital coax running to the headset base. Am I wrong?
post #6 of 17 Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post

I'm pretty sure digital is digital. As long as you have a tos-link or digital coax running to the headset base. Am I wrong?

Yes is digital, but is lossy. Optical supports only old gen DVD audio codecs like AC3, Dolby Digital, DTS... maximum bit rate of 1.5 Mbps. So they can only compress in a lossy way the audio.

HDMI supports 10.2 Gbps, up to 8 channels lossless. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, the high def audio track used by HD DVD and Blu-ray, are lossless, and up to 24,5 Mbps. Even the lossy tracks of HD DVDs and Blu-ray, uses more bandwidth (3 Mbps for DD+, and more for DTS-HD) than allowed on optical.

So HDMI is necessary to transport them (bitstream compressed or in PCM uncompressed).

Any headphone designed for HD DVD and Blu-ray next gen audio will need HDMI input.

|
post #7 of 17 Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow, good to know. Thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoP View Post

Yes is digital, but is lossy. Optical supports only old gen DVD audio codecs like AC3, Dolby Digital, DTS... maximum bit rate of 1.5 Mbps. So they can only compress in a lossy way the audio.

HDMI supports 10.2 Gbps, up to 8 channels lossless. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, the high def audio track used by HD DVD and Blu-ray, are lossless, and up to 24,5 Mbps. Even the lossy tracks of HD DVDs and Blu-ray, uses more bandwidth (3 Mbps for DD+, and more for DTS-HD) than allowed on optical.

So HDMI is necessary to transport them (bitstream compressed or in PCM uncompressed).

Any headphone designed for HD DVD and Blu-ray next gen audio will need HDMI input.

Can you suggest any wireless HDMI headphones? Thanks in advance -Bill
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll guess LPCM from a HD player is better but not lossless. What I'm having trouble with is the idea that someone will provide the bandwidth you want with wireless.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr_wkr View Post

I'll guess LPCM from a HD player is better but not lossless. What I'm having trouble with is the idea that someone will provide the bandwidth you want with wireless.

The bandwidth is there with 802.11g and 802.11n. However, I know that I personally wouldn't want a tx/rx for one of those strapped directly to my head.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Any update on this? I've been looking for headphones, wireless or not, 5.1 or 7.1 whatever, that take in HDMI and allow the headphone listener to enjoy lossless audio such as uncompressed PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS-MA. Any products like that out there yet? Thanks!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM

I'm not a headphones guru, you might want to check with head phone specific forums. There's a healthy sized community out there.

Wire vs wireless. It's common consensus that if you go wireless route, you will take degradation in sound quality, especially for money. The wireless itself is limiting factor so even $400 wireless headphones won't ever sound as good as equal level wired ones. One reason wireless home theater speakers don't have stellar reviews.

Stereo vs Surround. I'm not really sure if surround headphones are even worth it. Check the forums. As far as wireless next gen audio surround, I think is a pipe dream at this point. we're talking about a new cable format (hdmi) with the bandwidth necessary for uncompressed, but then squeezing that bandwidth in a wireless signal X 5 channels. Unlikely. I kind of doubt that headphones marketed as surround really are more surround sounding than regular headphones. There's not that much space in there even for direction placement of the speakers.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

I have the Pioneer SE-DIR2000C Dolby Surround Sound Headphone System - it is wireless and sounds really great with both movies and music - crystal clear with the option to connect your own headset. Comes with separate decoder unit & wireless headset (extra headsets can be added). Stay away from the cheaper ones, I have tried many and they are awful!

Bazzy
post #14 of 17 Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
From my experience, high quality headphones with Dolby Headphone > wireless 5.1 headphones.

Also, for those that wan't lossless quality, optical DOES transmit lossless advanced audio codecs, such as TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but only in 2 channels.

post #15 of 17 Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Motorola S805 Blue Tooth headphones $59, and Sony Bluetooth adapter TMRBT10A for about $40 really works well. Sound is great.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstachowiak View Post

Motorola S805 Blue Tooth headphones $59, and Sony Bluetooth adapter TMRBT10A for about $40 really works well. Sound is great.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but these are great headphones and they are available for under $40 from at least a couple major online retailers. I am using a bluetooth transmitter from a Logitech "Wireless Music System for iPod" that plugs in my Onkyo's headphone jack and the audio sounds great and allows my to contain noise when watching movies or playing games late at night.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Hey guys its finally starting. Losses headphones. Now we just need audiophile companies to make better versions. Google Sony mdrds7500

Any thoughts
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page