The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #271 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now why did you have to go and do that?!!! Yup, cherry works just fine!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post

Nothing wrong with Songtowers in cherry!

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...lk%20speakers/

Every speaker Jim touches is beautiful!
post #273 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Folks, anybody in the Detroit area who wants to attend my GTG this Saturday, PM me. We will have HT3's and V3's with Monster center going strong. 1 til 8 PM. Jim will be here. He needs the day off.
post #274 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I think they are beautiful! But when I showed them to my wife she asked me why his speakers look like coffins? Women, really have a whole different perspective

Strange... I personally cannot speak of the sound that the Salk speakers provide, I am sure it is truly bliss, but my GF also had the same comment when I showed her multiple clips of the HT3's...

I think the ST's have a better looking cabinet, but the HT3's are a bit too boxy for my taste's...

Please know - I mean no disrespect here what-so-ever... Jim your wood work is truly remarkable, and awe inspiring, I hope my finished DIY sub's will have even something close to what you offer in looks and build quality....
post #275 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Good Lord! Those are absolutely fantastic looking speakers! Great choice! Now if only I could find a way to demo some Salk speakers, I would be quite the happy camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatchaks View Post

I have been wanting to take a few pics of my HT3's and post them for a while now, I finally got around to taking some pics.

I don't know much about taking quality pics, and this particular pair of HT3's is very hard to photograph because I had Jim apply a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish. I had a hard time trying to minimize reflections, so this is the best I could do.

A couple more upgrades were done as well. Blackhole 5 (sound deadening acoustical treament) was installed within the cabinet.

Sonicaps replaced the standard Solen caps in the midrange and tweeter crossovers as well.

This pair was done in a crotch mahogany.

Mark

Go Far, Stay Long, See Deep
post #276 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Folks, anybody in the Detroit area who wants to attend my GTG this Saturday, PM me. We will have HT3's and V3's with Monster center going strong. 1 til 8 PM. Jim will be here. He needs the day off.

Ok who from Chicagoland want to head to Detroit? I'd love to go!
post #277 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

When michael630 gets back to Chicago tonight from visiting me and Jim (and gets to posting after some sleep), I'm sure he will add some fuel to the fire about roadtripping on out here. I cannot put words in his mouth, but I think he has made up his mind what to purchase. We spent 2.5 hours running through some fun material. Thanks for the wine Mike! If you decide to come out there is another HT3 owner who wants to come over from Chicagoland as well but doesn't want to make the drive by himself. I can hook you guys up and it would be a fun carpool. I will make it worth your while.
post #278 of 9527 Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

Every speaker Jim touches is beautiful!

WOW! You said it. The cabinets are really a piece of art to behold. Can't wait to read about the comparisons at the "Salk Shootout".
post #279 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post

Nothing wrong with Songtowers in cherry!

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...lk%20speakers/

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #280 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I actually find the cabinet design of the SongTowers more appealing than the HT3's.
post #281 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I actually find the cabinet design of the SongTowers more appealing than the HT3's.

Same here. Good sound though doesn't always necessarily come from good looking speakers. The B&W 802's I heard 4 years ago when I used to sell them was the best sounding speaker I have ever heard, but they look like R2D2!
post #282 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Same here. Good sound though doesn't always necessarily come from good looking speakers. The B&W 802's I heard 4 years ago when I used to sell them was the best sounding speaker I have ever heard, but they look like R2D2!

Thats just pee in the pants funny... R2D2....
post #283 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

You can only dream what these will look like. To the left out of frame some ST cabinets. Plenty of speakers in the spray booth today. I managed to slow down your orders by "helping" today!

post #284 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 PM

PAD, did you see my maple STs in there? When I ordered them last Friday, Jim said he already had a pair of ST cabinets in maple ready. He just needed to put in the drivers. So I'll be getting my STs before my SongCenter.
post #285 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I absolutely hate B&W speakers. They make the tweeter so freaking bright that it pierces my brain. On the other hand, the Salks are mellow.

Bob
post #286 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahorn View Post

PAD, did you see my maple STs in there? When I ordered them last Friday, Jim said he already had a pair of ST cabinets in maple ready. He just needed to put in the drivers. So I'll be getting my STs before my SongCenter.

They were moved to the finishing room to be wired. Sorry I spilled a Coke on one and knocked the other over. JK
post #287 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pad, what about the walnut STs coming to me in Texas?

shortspark
post #288 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:

They were moved to the finishing room to be wired. Sorry I spilled a Coke on one and knocked the other over. JK

I'm happy to take your HT3s in exchange as compensation.
post #289 of 9527 Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

PAD (Pete) is correct, I am in the process of writing about my visit. Unfortunately I didn't get home until late yesterday from traveling and was playing catch at the office until late tonight. I'll try to post tomorrow. Thanks for the invite Pete!

Mike
post #290 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

Pad, what about the walnut STs coming to me in Texas?

Can't remember if they were ready for boxing or assembly. I recall 2 dark finish sets but did not inquire. Jim has a stack of orders for these ST's!
post #291 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:

LMAO! Even knowing you were joking, my heart raced for a few seconds....oh wait, let me pick my jaw up off my chest here too.

For those maple ST's (to bahorn)....would LOVE to see some pics. I tried to find some in maple to look at before ordering, but couldn't.
post #292 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I absolutely hate B&W speakers. They make the tweeter so freaking bright that it pierces my brain. On the other hand, the Salks are mellow.

I worry that I may not like the sound of Salk's when people make statements like these. The 802's are quite a bit more mellow than the 700 and especially the 600 series. Have you heard the entire B&W lineup? I would hope so when you make blanket statements like this.

I've always been a fan of Boston, B&W, and other brands that some consider "bright". So are the Salks really so mellow that they're not detailed?

I'd love to hear additional comment on this as well.
post #293 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjp View Post

LMAO! Even knowing you were joking, my heart raced for a few seconds....oh wait, let me pick my jaw up off my chest here too.

For those maple ST's (to bahorn)....would LOVE to see some pics. I tried to find some in maple to look at before ordering, but couldn't.

Jim will snap photos of everything he builds. Typically if you were an Audiocircle member he would post the pics of your speakers there as well. More than likely they will show up on his website somewhere.
post #294 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I worry that I may not like the sound of Salk's when people make statements like these. The 802's are quite a bit more mellow than the 700 and especially the 600 series. Have you heard the entire B&W lineup? I would hope so when you make blanket statements like this.

I've always been a fan of Boston, B&W, and other brands that some consider "bright". So are the Salks really so mellow that they're not detailed?

No worries. The 802D's are only slightly "better" than the HT3's and not in the high frequencies but in the soundstage and some of the midrange. Of course B&W sells gobs of speakers and builds their own drivers and are huge in R&D, etc. But for $14k versus $6k it's a no brainer.
post #295 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries. The 802D's are only slightly "better" than the HT3's and not in the high frequencies but in the soundstage and some of the midrange. Of course B&W sells gobs of speakers and builds their own drivers and are huge in R&D, etc. But for $14k versus $6k it's a no brainer.

I've put a deposit down on ST's rather than HT3's so I'd like to hear some comments as to their sound signature as compared to Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, B&W, and other brands with similar sound signatures. These are not the ONLY brands I've ever liked, but I know for sure that I do like these brands. I know some consider their sound "bright" and I wouldn't mind taking that down a notch but I'd hate to lose detail in the process. I have read other comments from people here, and no one has described the sound as not being detailed so it is concerning when ctivggen says the sound is "mellow". I loathe a sound like Dynaudio where you just can't get much of the details because it sounds like someone put a thick piece of cloth over the tweeter.

-Chad
post #296 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've put a deposit down on ST's rather than HT3's so I'd like to hear some comments as to their sound signature as compared to Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, B&W, and other brands with similar sound signatures. These are not the ONLY brands I've ever liked, but I know for sure that I do like these brands. I know some consider their sound "bright" and I wouldn't mind taking that down a notch but I'd hate to lose detail in the process. I have read other comments from people here, and no one has described the sound as not being detailed so it is concerning when ctivggen says the sound is "mellow". I loathe a sound like Dynaudio where you just can't get much of the details because it sounds like someone put a thick piece of cloth over the tweeter.

-Chad

It cannot be stated enough that one really should LISTEN to a speaker before buying it. Reviews and advice can be a great starting tool, but the ultimate decision should always be left up to you and your ears. Not matter what some else's impressions are, they are just that. Speakers ought to be the most long term investment of all audio products so truly knowing you love the speaker is crutial.
post #297 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM

thirdeye11, Have you read the "speakerquest" forum? I think your favored brands are likely there. If not, it may still be another good place to ask your question because several people there have been comparing Salk and many other speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...995082&page=20
post #298 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

There is no detail loss with the Salk's, but they aren't ear bleeding bright like some Kipsch speakers or the B&W 7 series. Everything is very natural sounding; very airy and detailed without being fatiguing. Its perfect to my ears, but YMMV.

Quote:

-Chad

These are just my opinions, but if it helps - cool.

In comparison to the Boston's - The midrange was much cleaner and more detailed on the Salk's, as well as the high frequencies. On the Boston's (VR3's or 2's), I felt as if someone had a blanket over the speakers and it was seriously effecting the midrange detail and high frequency extension. The midrange lacked clarity and depth, and the high's seemed to just stop at a certain frequency rather than extending beyond.

In comparison to the B&W's, all but the 802's make me cringe. Granted, I've never heard the 800's, though. To my ears, the 600's are just fat and bloated sounding with no midrange detail. The 700 series give me listener fatigue due to the shrill treble and midrange suckout. The 802's are actually a decent speaker, but when speakers costing far less (I mean a LOT less - more than half) sound as good or better, I just cannot justify supporting B&W. I do like their look, though. The 802's have a sweet midrange and image like a son of a gun, but something still urks me about the tweeter. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but sometimes it "rings" a little, for lack of a better word. It may have been the listening environment, but how knows.

The Song Tower's, while costing many times less than the 802's, have a very competitive midrange. And while it may not have the same imaging abilities of the 802's, it's very close. And yes, this is just the Song Tower's I am speaking of (not the HT3's, of which I've never heard); the midrange is that good. Of course, the 802's dig deeper in the bass department and have a more impactful midbass, but that's to be expected due to the amount of air they push.

Disclaimer: I am not a fanboy! A fanboy is someone who supports a brand even if their products are poor, for whatever reasons they feel necessary, whether they just like that company or have friends who work at that company. Whatever your definition is, a fanboy I am not. I am, however, a fan of quality products. I will always support, praise and recommend a product I feel is a worthy piece of equipment. And let me tell you, the Song Tower's are among the best speakers I've heard. I completely understand why their price is going up a bit. When I originally heard how much they cost per pair, my jaw dropped. If I had the money, I would have order a pair or two right then and there (wish I had had the money). I'd pay twice the price for them, because to me, they are a rarity in this business. And sure, all things are subjective, so please, go out and subject yourself to these speakers. They simply rock!

With that said, you may think I am bias, and that's cool. However, I've listened to dozens of speakers, and I keep notes on all of them. And the Song Tower's remain in the top 3 speakers I've ever heard. And no, I don;t even own a pair, so really...I'm not bias at all.

Man...I really can't imagine how the HT3's sound! I need to get my ears on a pair! Just talking about them gets me excited!

Anyway, I hope that helps, Chad. YMMV.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #299 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Man...I really can't imagine how the HT3's sound! I need to get my ears on a pair! Just talking about them gets me excited!

Hey Salk Fanboy, there is a big shootout this Saturday; ST, V3s, and HT3s.
post #300 of 9527 Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

It cannot be stated enough that one really should LISTEN to a speaker before buying it. Reviews and advice can be a great starting tool, but the ultimate decision should always be left up to you and your ears. Not matter what some else's impressions are, they are just that. Speakers ought to be the most long term investment of all audio products so truly knowing you love the speaker is crutial.

Someone should make a sticky on this post. If there was ever a top 10 list in the A/V Bible, this would be #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page