PAD
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

OMG Pete! Looks awesome buddy. You know how that Pass makes me drool. For me, this is the money shot

BTW, what is the wood on your V3's?

The V3's in the theater have Rosewood solid wood front panels. Black on the sides to reduce screen reflections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10
I finally I have my pair of SongTowers, and they are just amazing!

First, I have to say thanks to Jim for crafting such a marvelous product for people to enjoy. These speakers not only look great but the sound is awesome.
I had my speakers designed like PAD's V3's. They are black on the sides and top with a rosewood finsh on the front. It looks very sharp. I will try and post pictures later in the week.
Jim's demo CD is great! I just had slim device squeezebox delivered today and hopefully I will have that hooked up tomorrow.
I have to say that Jim is busy making St's and for everyone that is waiting; it is well worth the wait. I was able to tour his shop when I picked my ST's up and it's great operation, and incredible craftsmanship. I have good feeling that Jim's speakers are going right to the top of the charts. I know they are already there, but wait until these things really get out in the open. Thanks to this thread on AVS people will be able to read and see just how great Salk Sound is and these speakers are an investment of a liftetime.
I can't wait to order my center channel. That will be a few months though.

Thanks agian Jim. Also thanks to Yachaks for pushing me in the right direction for great speakers.

Pictures soon to come
post #423 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Congrats, MDEVAN! I am truly happy for you. If all things go well, I'll have my own pair of Song Tower's on the way soon. Things have taken a positive turn, so all systems are a go! I'm just waiting to hear back from Jim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #424 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Congrats, MDEVAN! I am truly happy for you. If all things go well, I'll have my own pair of Song Tower's on the way soon. Things have taken a positive turn, so all systems are a go! I'm just waiting to hear back from Jim.

When did you guys order? I paid my 50% towards a pair of the STs on March 2nd. Jim said they were to be shipped out a couple of times during the past two weeks but I too am just waiting to hear. I ordered Walnut and Jim was going to tint it a bit darker but I did not get any exotic wood or paint. How long did you guys have to wait?

shortspark
post #425 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM

It's been awhile. At least 4 weeks.
post #426 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM

I forgot we are in April now. It was the end of Febuary sometime when I ordered.
post #427 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really, Nuance? That is so awesome!! I knew you would work it out
post #428 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really, Nuance? That is so awesome!! I knew you would work it out

Thanks buddy! I haven't place an order yet, but I'm ready to go. I just have to hear back from Jim on a couple of questions and ensure my wife does in fact wan't Brazilian Rosewood with a high gloss finish. I can't believe it, but my wife is actually on board with this and wants the finish to match our Rocket 850's. Nice!

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

post #429 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks buddy! I haven't place an order yet, but I'm ready to go. I just have to hear back from Jim on a couple of questions and ensure my wife does in fact wan't Brazilian Rosewood with a high gloss finish. I can't believe it, but my wife is actually on board with this and wants the finish to match our Rocket 850's. Nice!

That is awesome news!! I believe Jim's high-gloss is actually a hand sanded finish and it can get pricey. It is around $1250 for that in a pair of HT3's.

So, will you be keeping the Rockets as well?
post #430 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Brazilian Rosewood will look awesome. Can't wait to see those.
post #431 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDEVAN View Post

I forgot we are in April now. It was the end of Febuary sometime when I ordered.

You were just ahead of me with your order so that means I should be pretty close. I hope so.

shortspark
post #432 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Hang in there. Jim is super busy. It is well worth the wait!
post #433 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Just got my STs yesterday! I was fortunate that Jim had already completed a pair of ST cabinets in the maple finish when I ordered. So I got the STs quicker.

All the comments I have read (and they are all positive) about how they look and sound are spot on. They look and sound great! Now I'm beginning to understand what Jim means by transparency. I followed Jim's instructions and listened to his demo CD first. His demo CD really does show the STs capabilities. Then I came home today and did a quick test. I listened to Boston's "More Than a Feeling" in 3 versions: 1) ripped at 128 kbps (for my iPod), 2) Apple Lossless, and 3) CD. Of course, the iPod version didn't sound that great. The lossless and CD versions sounded the same and better than the iPod version. But sounded no better than with my old Polks. I got a little worried. Then I popped Jim's demo CD in and it sounded fantastic. Now I better understand the importance of the source material and that not all CDs will have quality recordings. (I know, I'm a novice). Now I look forward to getting the center and surrounds.

Thanks to Jim and Dennis for a great pair of speakers!

Nuance: Great news and looking forward to seeing your Brazilian Rosewood STs.

Dennis: Good luck with your surgery.

Pics to follow.
post #434 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM

And here's a pic. The only other pic I've found of the standard maple finish is the one Jim has on his website for the SongSub. It definitely looks nicer in person that I thought it would.

post #435 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is awesome news!! I believe Jim's high-gloss is actually a hand sanded finish and it can get pricey. It is around $1250 for that in a pair of HT3's.

So, will you be keeping the Rockets as well?

$1250? Wow. Well, maybe we don't need "high gloss," just regular gloss. My wife said she wanted the wood to have a shine to it, so I am sure Jim will be able to come up with something that won't break the bank.

We will be keeping the Rocket's as well. The Salk's will start out as a dedicated 2.1 system but will eventually turn into a 5.2 or 7.2 music system. I cannot wait!

Quote:

Brazilian Rosewood will look awesome. Can't wait to see those.

Thanks, me too!
Quote:

Hang in there. Jim is super busy. It is well worth the wait!

Very true. I'll be hanging; it will certainly be worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahorn View Post

Just got my STs yesterday! I was fortunate that Jim had already completed a pair of ST cabinets in the maple finish when I ordered. So I got the STs quicker.

All the comments I have read (and they are all positive) about how they look and sound are spot on. They look and sound great! Now I'm beginning to understand what Jim means by transparency. I followed Jim's instructions and listened to his demo CD first. His demo CD really does show the STs capabilities. Then I came home today and did a quick test. I listened to Boston's "More Than a Feeling" in 3 versions: 1) ripped at 128 kbps (for my iPod), 2) Apple Lossless, and 3) CD. Of course, the iPod version didn't sound that great. The lossless and CD versions sounded the same and better than the iPod version. But sounded no better than with my old Polks. I got a little worried. Then I popped Jim's demo CD in and it sounded fantastic. Now I better understand the importance of the source material and that not all CDs will have quality recordings. (I know, I'm a novice). Now I look forward to getting the center and surrounds.

Thanks to Jim and Dennis for a great pair of speakers!

Nuance: Great news and looking forward to seeing your Brazilian Rosewood STs.

Dennis: Good luck with your surgery.

Pics to follow.

I am happy that you're enjoying your ST's. They look amazing! Congrats.

One question: is that a different tweeter?

post #436 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
That maple finish is looking REALLY good. I may have a hard time turning down that standard finish. For me it's all about simple looks, and good sound. I can't wait to get into a larger space so I can pay for the rest of mine

-Chad
post #437 of 9225 Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Nuance- that is great news!!!!!!! I am really glad to hear that you will be getting a pair of ST's sooner than you expected. Brazilian Rosewood is beautiful, and I would choose something like that but my wife feels it is too red. (We already have a good portion of reddish woods in the room, and she doesn't want any more) I am still working with Jim to figure out a good veneer for us. The only East Indian Rosewood either of us has been able to find pales in comparison to the sample that I posted in my thread. The hand rubbed finish is awesome, but very labor intensive and too expensive for me. I am really happy for you buddy.

Dennis- I wish you a quick and easy surgery, free of complications, and a speedy and full recovery. I hope you know that we are all pulling for you. I can't wait to see what you and Jim come up with to top the HT3's. Though, by that time I will be so blissed out listening to my HT3's that I may never want to hear them.

Congrats to the new ST owners that posted recently too, I am sure you know by now just how lucky you are.

Cheers
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-

post #438 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Jim provides the high gloss finish at the regular price, it is the piano finish that costs extra. I got the high gloss birdseye maple on my HT3's and it is sweet.
post #439 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 AM

Nuance,
Great to see that you will soon be an ST owner! Though with all the people ordering ST's now, it looks like the wait time is longer. I was lucky and got in right after Jim started making them (I think I waited about a week or 10 days). However long you have to wait it will be worth it! Congratulations.

With all these orders when will Jim get a vacation?

Dennis...best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.
post #440 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

[quote=oldgoalie;13564590]Nuance,

With all these orders when will Jim get a vacation?

QUOTE]

He had Saturday last weekend at my house. No work, just talk, and taking more orders! Okay, guess that's still work then. Just not dusty.
post #441 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And here's a pic. The only other pic I've found of the standard maple finish is the one Jim has on his website for the SongSub. It definitely looks nicer in person that I thought it would.

One of my favorite woods. Look great!
post #442 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:

What advantage would you say the ST has over the 850s? I've been auditioning the Rockets (850s, Bigfoot and 250s) and am very impressed with them. You said you're keeping the 850s, but if you were to keep just one set which would it be? Thanks!
post #443 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:

I just had slim device squeezebox delivered today and hopefully I will have that hooked up tomorrow.

Congrats on getting your speakers! I just picked up a Squeezebox Duet a few days ago. It is by far one of the best pieces of gear i have picked up in years! Just being able to listen to anything in my collection at the touch of a button is awesome. On top of it all, my wife really digs it too!

Enjoy your new toys,

Doug
post #444 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 AM

PAD,
I'm sure after the AudioKarma show next month Jim will be even busier, if that's possible. I hope Jim is planning on having a complete ST system at the show. I'm bringing my wife with me and I hope she decides we can't live without a SongCenter!
post #445 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

What advantage would you say the ST has over the 850s? I've been auditioning the Rockets (850s, Bigfoot and 250s) and am very impressed with them. You said you're keeping the 850s, but if you were to keep just one set which would it be? Thanks!

The 850 is a pretty good speaker. I'd say the ST is smoother in the mids and provides more soundstage. But they are also completely different animals as well.
post #446 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I am happy that you're enjoying your ST's. They look amazing! Congrats.

One question: is that a different tweeter?

I assume they are the Hiquphon OW2s. Maybe the tweeter label is throwing you off. I didn't remove the labels until after I moved the speakers to their new home.

Congrats MDEVAN. Looking forward to seeing your pics. I like the look of PAD's V3s.
post #447 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ This is true, PAD. The midrange detail and "smoothness" is the biggest difference IMO (with the Salk's besting the 850's). The Song Tower's are also easier to place due to the transmission line design.

In a word, the ST's are more "right."

post #448 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assume they are the Hiquphon OW2s. Maybe the tweeter label is throwing you off. I didn't remove the labels until after I moved the speakers to their new home.

Congrats MDEVAN. Looking forward to seeing your pics. I like the look of PAD's V3s.

LMAO! It was a label? HAHA, I'm a goof. I can't believe I didn't realize that. Man...I need a bigger LCD than this tiny laptop one.

post #449 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Although I am still waiting for my STs, I would like to ask those of you who have recently received yours if the Salk nameplate is included. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jim is no longer including them but I could be wrong as to the hardware or type of speaker. In some photos I've seen I noticed that the nameplate was attached and I think it is a very classy touch.

shortspark
post #450 of 9225 Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ I think it was an optional thing. They raised the cost a little, but I think they are now "standard." I could be wrong, though.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page