Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw87c View Post

After reading all the raving reviews of the Salk speakers, I'm now highly inclined to buy a pair of Song Towers with Ribbon Tweeters. My original plan was to buy a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s.

Me too. I really enjoyed the Studio 60s but had the opportunity to listen to the STs here in Vegas and I'm very happy I did! In my opinion the 60s are good speakers but the STs outshine them not only from a listening perspective but also the beauty of them. I may differ from some of the hardcore audio heads but I think as part of our living room that we really want to enjoy the way our speakers look as well.

My wife and I picked out our own custom veneers in a 5 speaker SongTower set up and could not be happier! I'd mentioned posting new, and better, pictures of mine a while ago but I'll be waiting another month due to us moving into a new house. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18984152
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I checked your link below and found that we share some similarities: I'm currently using an Onkyo 707, and my new house is also high ceiling . The wife looks quite different though . Can't wait to see your new pictures.

I'm using the Onkyo 707 as a pre-pro, and use a Rotel RMB-1075 as a separate Amp. Most of my equipment are in a dedicated media room with size 15' x 30'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

My wife and I picked out our own custom veneers in a 5 speaker SongTower set up and could not be happier! I'd mentioned posting new, and better, pictures of mine a while ago but I'll be waiting another month due to us moving into a new house. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18984152

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Who will you be channeling up this weekend with the Salks?

i tried to channel kate beckinsale, but sadly, it did not work...

guess they aren't perfect...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i tried to channel kate beckinsale, but sadly, it did not work...

guess they aren't perfect...

Chris,

Good choice. I thought we could only channel music artists with our Salks. When I get home I'll see if I can channel Scarlett Johansson or Salma Hayek. I'm sure the wife won't mind. The problem is what if I'm successful. Then Jim will never keep up with the demand for new speakers.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

When over to the CAS[ California Audio Show]- a smaller audio show here in the bay area,
Nice to see some of the High End stuff in a smaller venue.
Jim Salk was there with two set of his speaker line. First time i have had a chance to hear them. --- They sound every bit as good a everyone has said they are.
Both by buddy and i thought they were amoung the top 4 speakers of the show. regardless of cost...
db
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello gents,

A little background, I'm an owner of a set of Songsurrounds and a Songcenter. My pre is an older Pioneer Elite, and an Emotiva LPA-1 amp. My room size is 13' x 18' x 8 with a vaulted ceiling.

My question is what should my expectations be with a pair of Songtowers versus the Songsurrounds. I love how easy on the ears the surrounds are, but have wanted more bass, "air", and a fuller sound. I'm at the point of ordering the ST's now, or going a different route along the lines of the Dynaudio Focus series or B&W 800 series.

I went and listened to some B&Ws today, and realize that my songsurrounds handily best the CM and 600 series which is a great accomplishment for a 900$ pair of speakers. Whereas I thought some of the 800's were a step-up. Of course, floorstanding speakers that cost thousands more should.

If there is anyone with STs in the DFW area I'd love to listen, but I'm trying to figure out where I should go with my next speaker purchase from other owners' experiences..

Thank you for any replies.

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Linked below is Nuance's Speaker Journey thread. In post #1 you will see the number of auditions he had with quite a few speakers. I found this thread to be one of the most informative on AVS since I have been a member.
Bill

Good lord, you guys are gunna give Nuance a larger head then he already has !!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

Hello gents,

A little background, I'm an owner of a set of Songsurrounds and a Songcenter. My pre is an older Pioneer Elite, and an Emotiva LPA-1 amp. My room size is 13' x 18' x 8 with a vaulted ceiling.

My question is what should my expectations be with a pair of Songtowers versus the Songsurrounds. I love how easy on the ears the surrounds are, but have wanted more bass, "air", and a fuller sound. I'm at the point of ordering the ST's now, or going a different route along the lines of the Dynaudio Focus series or B&W 800 series.

I went and listened to some B&Ws today, and realize that my songsurrounds handily best the CM and 600 series which is a great accomplishment for a 900$ pair of speakers. Whereas I thought some of the 800's were a step-up. Of course, floorstanding speakers that cost thousands more should.

If there is anyone with STs in the DFW area I'd love to listen, but I'm trying to figure out where I should go with my next speaker purchase from other owners' experiences..

I gave Jim a call today, and mentioned what I was noticing from my SongSurrounds, and where I wanted to go with my speaker set up. He says the Songtowers would be a fine choice, but said the H2T-TL would probably fit a little better with my expectations. As has been mentioned many times, Jim is a nice guy, who really listens to his customers, and tries to give them exactly what they want/need without making a bigger sell. I think that's amazing in this day and age.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I gave Jim a call today, and mentioned what I was noticing from my SongSurrounds, and where I wanted to go with my speaker set up. He says the Songtowers would be a fine choice, but said the H2T-TL would probably fit a little better with my expectations. As has been mentioned many times, Jim is a nice guy, who really listens to his customers, and tries to give them exactly what they want/need without making a bigger sell. I think that's amazing in this day and age.

Redfive....Are your surrounds I or II?

I will be calling Jim soon for the Songtower system 5.1 set-up. I wonder if you had the II and that would be reason Jim suggest the H2T-TL!!! I would love to go a step further, but ordering 6 speakers already has pushed me to the limit.

Thanks,
Rob

Quote:
[Good lord, you guys are gunna give Nuance a larger head then he already has !!!!! ]

But hey guysssss.....you gotta love B*****n!!! <3. I don't think he has the big head yet!!!

Group Hug!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM

[quote=woodsart;18994324]Redfive....Are your surrounds I or II?

I will be calling Jim soon for the Songtower system 5.1 set-up. I wonder if you had the II and that would be reason Jim suggest the H2T-TL!!! I would love to go a step further, but ordering 6 speakers already has pushed me to the limit.

lol ... I have the I's, and from what Jim said it appears I could keep the Ht2-TLs up front, and move the Songsurround I pair for surround duty with no fall off in performance. (I would get the HT2 center) I'm in the process of setting up an audition now for the Ht2-TL. They maybe overkill for a mixed HT/Music use though ...

Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 383
[quote=redfive;18995176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Redfive....Are your surrounds I or II?

lol ... I have the I's, and from what Jim said it appears I could keep the Ht2-TLs up front, and move the Songsurround I pair for surround duty with no fall off in performance. (I would get the HT2 center) I'm in the process of setting up an audition now for the Ht2-TL. They maybe overkill for a mixed HT/Music use though ...

Overkill?? What's that?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

something to be encouraged at every opportunity, especially when it comes to speakers...

seriously though, if you like music, and you like salks, and you don't have to starve the children and spend the rent money to do so, the ht2-tl's aren't really "overkill"... more like "enough kill"...

imo, "overkill" is when you spend money needlessly (i.e. someone buys 500 watt monoblocks to power 8 ohm/100db speakers in a 100 square foot space)... "enough kill" is when you spend a significant amount of money, but all of that money returns value...

ymmv... i'm a new owner, and i tend to be, umm, "enthusiastic" about products i like... but my babies kick butt... they were money VERY well spent...

also, i'd tend to trust jim's judgment... i was more than willing to buy ht-3's, as i've related before, swmbo really liked the looks of those... but jim felt that by spending less money i'd get better results...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

something to be encouraged at every opportunity, especially when it comes to speakers...

seriously though, if you like music, and you like salks, and you don't have to starve the children and spend the rent money to do so, the ht2-tl's aren't really "overkill"... more like "enough kill"...

imo, "overkill" is when you spend money needlessly (i.e. someone buys 500 watt monoblocks to power 8 ohm/100db speakers in a 100 square foot space)... "enough kill" is when you spend a significant amount of money, but all of that money returns value...

ymmv... i'm a new owner, and i tend to be, umm, "enthusiastic" about products i like... but my babies kick butt... they were money VERY well spent...

also, i'd tend to trust jim's judgment... i was more than willing to buy ht-3's, as i've related before, swmbo really liked the looks of those... but jim felt that by spending less money i'd get better results...

"enough kill" ... I actually did laugh at that one ... I would have to still get my source/amp in better shape, but from what I understand the upgraditis might stop speakerwise for at least 3 months.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i have a very poor record when it comes to fending off upgraditis, but i can honestly say that unless i move into a house that has a much larger room (in which case, i'll have to go through the painful veneer search/decision for a pair of soundscapes ), i cannot imagine wanting anything different... in the past, whenever i've bought speakers, i've been happy with them, but there were always others i still "wanted" but funding precluded me having them...

not anymore... there's nothing i'd rather have in here... nothing... although my "salk journey" was significantly shorter than nuance's, i've been fortunate enough to hear a lot of speakers in a lot of different setups over the past 25 years or so (geez, i'm getting old), so my "speaker journey" has been quite long... but that journey has effectively ended... in a way, it's a bit scary... there's only so many other items to satisfy the upgraditis monster...

as far as amp/source... i'd venture a guess that as long as you are providing them enough power to make them happy, they'll make music that will make you happy...

- chris

Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 96
[quote=redfive;18995176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

I'm in the process of setting up an audition now for the Ht2-TL.
They maybe overkill for a mixed HT/Music use though ...

Depends on your room, the rest of your system and what you want\\expect.
Tomorrow's overkill is yesterday's "I wish".
Obviously you're already wanting more.
If you want to take things a step further, do it step-wise from either end.
Improve your front-end, then power, then speakers or the other way around.
I will guarantee you that if you do what most people do and upgrade the speakers first, you will most certainly upgrade the rest of your system.
HT2s can take a pretty good amount of upgrading and still yield improvements.
Good luck Pal.
You're only the 1,192,876 person to take this path so you're in good company.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hello gents,

I know that you are wanting to demo HT2-TL's now, but I sent you a private message anyway. Happy to demo my SongTowers for you.

Cheers!
Chad
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

At the California Audo show- Salk had his ST mached with a Van Alstin 35 wpc ULTRAVALVE AMP
They sounded fantastic together, in that size room. If I were going to do a 2ch setup [ & for that pricing], I would take a serious look at this combo. TAS{8/2010} did a review of both together. however, you really have to read this review twice to understand what he is saying- even at that.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

At the California Audo show- Salk had his ST mached with a Van Alstin 35 wpc ULTRAVALVE AMP
They sounded fantastic together, in that size room. If I were going to do a 2ch setup [ & for that pricing], I would take a serious look at this combo. TAS{8/2010} did a review of both together. however, you really have to read this review twice to understand what he is saying- even at that.

Unfortunately, the Pavarotti of Pucker, the west coast whistler, gave them a rather lukewarm review in Stereophile to the SoundScapes. Maybe next time, an arrangement with a more 'prestigious' player would be beneficial. Also some hotsy totsy wires, some isolation blocks and maybe a few strategically placed incense Tibetan incense bowls would elicit a more favorable review from the wise warbler.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Unfortunately, the Pavarotti of Pucker, the west coast whistler, gave them a rather lukewarm review in Stereophile to the SoundScapes. Maybe next time, an arrangement with a more 'prestigious' player would be beneficial. Also some hotsy totsy wires, some isolation blocks and maybe a few strategically placed incense Tibetan incense bowls would elicit a more favorable review from the wise warbler.

Yes-- Jim mentioned to me that a number of well-healed West Coast audiophiles wouldn't pay any attention to a speaker that didn't have a gazillion dollar front end and cabling. I hope Hell will consist of endless rounds of controlled ABX tests for these folks.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I hope Hell will consist of endless rounds of controlled ABX tests for these folks.

... of nothing but pink noise....

- chris

Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I know one of the these:"well-healed West Coast audiophiles".
And they are NOT-- IMO- well-healed West Coast audiophiles - I'm glad he didn't bend over to Kiss.....
Say allot about more about Jim.
"gazillion dollar front end and cabling" Interesting you mention that.
I said the same thing to my friend who was with me, that many of these speaker/gear companies had to have these Gigantic amps and cable$$$ as big as a fire ho$e, to make their speakers sing. I said it wasn't much of an interest. It's more about the gear than the Music. Jim had a simple/low profile -nice look cables/interconnects {I can't recall the pricing but not that expense} and a very small Van Alstine amp that made the ST sing. Something practical and could go in most people homes nicely
My 2.3 cents {adjusted for inflation}

Quote:

Yes-- Jim mentioned to me that a number of well-healed West Coast audiophiles wouldn't pay any attention to a speaker that didn't have a gazillion dollar front end and cabling. I hope Hell will consist of endless rounds of controlled ABX tests for these folks.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

In all my years of retail experience dealing directly with the public with one of a kind originals has lead to believe that my most challenging sales were to some of those well-heeled clients! I was exhausted whether there was a sale or not and felt somewhat robbed of the 'joy' of sharing and selling my art. And, yes there were many compliments. But compliments did not pay bills!

These 'kind' of clients were somewhat rare (thank God) and all were not with their noses in the air and sometimes I didn't learn til later that they were in fact wealthy and who knows maybe affluent! Occasionally those difficult ones made the best customers and friends. And some that displayed heirs and graces were not well-heeled at all!!!!

I have attended some prestigious shows in my lifetime and I think one of my problems in that arena is people didn't quite understand that they were getting a piece of art that would last a lifetime at an affordable price! Maybe I would have gotten more attention and sales if instead of charging $200/$300 I should have charged $2000/$3000!!!

I realize that these clients/interviewers discussed in this thread probably were not potential customers after all I wasn't at the show, but it's just my two cents!

Well....I said all of that and only needed to say this...that SALK SOUND creates an incredible line of beautiful pieces of musical art at incredible savings!!! And...with my little knowledge I believe SALK SOUND is making audiophile history and bringing great people together......indeed!

Thanks, Jim, we appreciate you and support you!!! And soon I will be your Richmond Audition Station and the happy owner of the Songtowers!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is true and it's also true that a tepid, if not somewhat dismissive review, will have some sort of negative consequences when coming from the Worldly Whistler tail of the bell curve. Personally I would recommend that Jim take a pragmatic, business like approach to future showings of his speakers by doing a better partnering with vendors of the other components. I have nothing against his choice in players or cables but one must be realistic in a world that is prone to delusions of various magnitudes. Presentation is important. I think if Bobby Flay were to present his concoctions on Iron Chef America on store brand styrofoam, he'd start to lose to challengers. Really now, which Scarlett Johannson is going to turn heads and get a rise out us guys?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM

So far so good...

I've got a definite audition with the HT2-TL audition this weekend, and a Songtower audition that just needs the details hammered out courtesy of forum member ThirdEye11!

I'm really looking to make comparisons between these Salk speakers, and my (shaky) memory of the dynaudio focus series. The focus 220/140 has been my personal "gold" standard speakers at a somewhat reasonable cost for a little while now. The Dyn's also have a rep for being power hungry. Here's hoping for a new standard ...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

So far so good...

I've got a definite audition with the HT2-TL audition this weekend, and a Songtower audition that just needs the details hammered out courtesy of forum member ThirdEye11!

I'm really looking to make comparisons between these Salk speakers, and my (shaky) memory of the dynaudio focus series. The focus 220/140 has been my personal "gold" standard speakers at a somewhat reasonable cost for a little while now. The Dyn's also have a rep for being power hungry. Here's hoping for a new standard ...

I'd say to clean the slate and come in with a fresh memory. Dynaudio is a completely different sound than Salk speakers. To me Dynaudio (especially the Focus and Contour lines) always sounded like someone put a sock over the tweeter but had great midrange detail. The Salk will open your eyes to having the best of both these worlds in my opinion. Detail from top to bottom.

-Chad
Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I'd say to clean the slate and come in with a fresh memory. Dynaudio is a completely different sound than Salk speakers. To me Dynaudio (especially the Focus and Contour lines) always sounded like someone put a sock over the tweeter but had great midrange detail. The Salk will open your eyes to having the best of both these worlds in my opinion. Detail from top to bottom.

-Chad

lol .. And that's partly why I am looking to make a change with my SongSurround I's. I feel like I keep pushing the volume up and up on them trying to get them to open up some. 5 inch monitors in a 2000+ cubic foot room has a lot to do with it. some recordings really hit a nice spot with them though...Fleet Foxes "Oliver James" was one such recording last night ... transfixed is a good word.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

You can't be Serius, can you Chu? You do have to consider the source in his case. I actually thought his comments enhanced the speaker's value. Sort of a reverse indicator. Does JA even let him do speaker reviews? My understanding is that he doesn't need any volume on some speakers to know they sound good.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

So far so good...

I had the Focus 140s for about a year and I thought they were a great speaker. But the SongTowers are a much better speaker in all aspects IMO. Granted I did not do a direct comparison and some of my gear has changed. For one thing I found that the 140s could not be pushed as hard as the STs.

I had the 140s crossed over at I believe 60Hz or 80Hz as I do with the STs and still the 140s would show some strain when pushed hard. From the limited listening time I have had with the STs I have not heard any strain at all. The volume levels I have put the STs through has been at reference level or above.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

I just got some AVA gear including the Ultravalve to go with my SongTowers. The SongTowers sounded good before. They sound even better now. The combo is the real deal and I am very impressed with the synergy between the SongTowers and AVA amp/preamp based on my initial listening.

John
Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

You can't be Serius, can you Chu? You do have to consider the source in his case. I actually thought his comments enhanced the speaker's value. Sort of a reverse indicator. Does JA even let him do speaker reviews? My understanding is that he doesn't need any volume on some speakers to know they sound good.

I'm absolutely serious. I've read enough from and about both Murphy & Salk to know where they're coming from and if they were to use boutique accessories it wouldn't change my opinion. It's business not personal Sonny.