post #541 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have tried to sign up at Audio Circle 4-5 times but have never received the e-mail needed to activate my e-mail address. I looked for a contact for Audio Circle on the site but did not see one. Is there a way to contact them?

Thanks, Bill

I haven't signed up for Audio Circle yet, but what email address are you using? Many forums ban email addresses from free accounts like Netscape, AIM, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. You might try a work email address or an unusual email domain to register and see if that works for you. I have had this problem on other forums, but am not specifically commenting on Audio Circle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have tried to sign up at Audio Circle 4-5 times but have never received the e-mail needed to activate my e-mail address. I looked for a contact for Audio Circle on the site but did not see one. Is there a way to contact them?

Thanks, Bill

+1

I tried to sign up last week and never got the activation e-mail. I tried a number of things yesterday. I couldn't find a contact e-mail address either.

I wanted to post about an updating listing of tracks on Jim's demo CD. The one listed on AudioCircle is 2 years old and doesn't quite match the one I received.

I'm not using a free e-mail address.
post #543 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 AM

You guys might want to check your spam folder. I have had these activation emails marked as spam many times.
post #544 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post

You guys might want to check your spam folder. I have had these activation emails marked as spam many times.

I too was going to suggest that. I have a gmail account and had no issues with activating the account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #545 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 11:28 AM

I used a yahoo account to register just a couple weeks ago. It would have been sooner except their registration was closed for a couple weeks...they might be having update problems or maybe they switched servers??
post #546 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, Bill

If you can get to this page JohnR is the guy you need to contact.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...on=profile;u=3
post #547 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post

Hi Guys,
I joined last week and found the referenced e-mail from them in my spam folder, it's probably the issue.
post #548 of 9222 Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

If you can get to this page JohnR is the guy you need to contact.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...on=profile;u=3

Thanks. I wound up registering using my other e-mail address. I did check my spam folder but didn't see any activation e-mails.
post #549 of 9222 Old 04-11-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So my order is "officially" in and the deposit has been paid for. I am so excited that I could pee! lol!

So now its time to get the listening room in order and treated and then find a used heavy duty power amp to really bring the ST's to life. PM me if you're selling a 2-channel amp for a decent price.

post #550 of 9222 Old 04-11-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

So my order is "officially" in and the deposit has been paid for. I am so excited that I could pee! lol!

So now its time to get the listening room in order and treated and then find a used heavy duty power amp to really bring the ST's to life. PM me if you're selling a 2-channel amp for a decent price.

HOLY Cr@P !!!! Amp I reading this right..?

Nuance I am so proud that you have commited to something that has always been part of your heart... I know you have always compared every other speaker to the ST's... so glad to hear you pulled the trigger...

All the Best...

Patrick.....

post #551 of 9222 Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice congrats! Have you considered joining the icepowered party. Everyone in N.IL and S.WI is doing it

Perhaps a Magnum 500s
http://d-sonic.net/

Or PS Audio
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212652516

Solid State
Rotel 1080
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212865877

Conrad Johnson
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212895334

Adcom
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212854645

Bryston
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212501480
post #552 of 9222 Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you certainly can have the Yamaha receiver I have in my Basement to get you started.... Its free for you buddy... N/C....

I think its 5.1, but would more then likely serve you just fine for 2.0.
Its an older unit, but I think the Amp section was pretty good for its day.

Oh and you can also have my POS Klipsch 1 note - Fart in a Box sub, if you would like it.

post #553 of 9222 Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212451474

Buy one of these from Grant (trusted Audio Cirlce-ite). This will make you purr. I owned a pair before the Pass and these are superb amps. Tons of bass and texture to the mids.
post #554 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

HOLY Cr@P !!!! Amp I reading this right..?

Nuance I am so proud that you have commited to something that has always been part of your heart... I know you have always compared every other speaker to the ST's... so glad to hear you pulled the trigger...

All the Best...

Patrick.....

Yup, you read it correctly. I cannot wait to get them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

Nice congrats! Have you considered joining the icepowered party. Everyone in N.IL and S.WI is doing it

Perhaps a Magnum 500s
http://d-sonic.net/

Or PS Audio
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212652516

Solid State
Rotel 1080
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212865877

Conrad Johnson
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212895334

Adcom
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212854645

Bryston
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212501480

Thank you, sir. I will be taking a hard look at all of those. The cheaper, the better.
Quote:

Well you certainly can have the Yamaha receiver I have in my Basement to get you started.... Its free for you buddy... N/C....

I think its 5.1, but would more then likely serve you just fine for 2.0.
Its an older unit, but I think the Amp section was pretty good for its day.

Oh and you can also have my POS Klipsch 1 note - Fart in a Box sub, if you would like it.

Wow, really? Yeah, that would be awesome! Shoot me a PM and we'll chat. Something is better than nothing, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1212451474

Buy one of these from Grant (trusted Audio Cirlce-ite). This will make you purr. I owned a pair before the Pass and these are superb amps. Tons of bass and texture to the mids.

I'd LOVE to purchase something of that caliber, but unfortunately its way out of my budget. One day though...one day.

post #555 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM

A free Yamaha reciever is a sweet deal.
post #556 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, really? Yeah, that would be awesome! Shoot me a PM and we'll chat. Something is better than nothing, right?

I had a feeling that my offer would be in your budget...

I will be leaving thursday for a wedding in Florida, if you want that stuff before then, PM me... your also overdue for a cocktail and to check out my new stuff... PM me if you have some free time early next week...

post #557 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had a feeling that my offer would be in your budget...

I will be leaving thursday for a wedding in Florida, if you want that stuff before then, PM me... your also overdue for a cocktail and to check out my new stuff... PM me if you have some free time early next week...

We may be able to work something out early next week. I am dying to hear those Sig's!

I'll PM ya after I talk to the "front office."

post #558 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jim advised me that my beautiful, gorgeous, unbelievably handsome walnut SongTowers shipped out yesterday. With any luck, I might have them by this time next weekend!! There is no doubt in my mind these represent his high water mark, his finest effort of all time. Well, enough about that so let me get to my question.

In reading the last few posts about amps I started to think about them again. I recently purchased an Onkyo SR605. Everything I read at AVS and other places indicated this was a great A/V receiver for the money. It is not in the class of stuff you guys are talking about of course but it suits my purposes and I'm thrilled with it. I'm sure it will push the SongTowers quite well. It replaced an old Panny receiver that worked flawlessly for me for over 15 years.

Well, thats the background. I started thinking about what the Panny replaced and went up in my attic to pull out the old receiver I bought what I have to think was over 30 years ago. It is a Technics SA 800, the little brother to the famed 1000 that was said to be one of the most powerful of its time. In fact, these were part of the 1970s fad of "monster receivers". I think mine is 125w if I remember correctly. I recall fondly how great it sounded with my old Advent speakers. Of course, my ears were fairly new back then too.

Make a long story longer, I fired it up. Alas, only the mono switch works. When I switch it to "stereo" mode, sound comes out of only one side. I took it apart, cleaned it as best I could, sprayed electrical contact and cleaner lubricant and did all I could to get it to work but to no avail. Usually a good cleaning is all it takes but it had been wrapped and in a box for probably close to 20 years and was quite clean inside to begin with when I took it apart. I called a repair shop and they want $90 just to look at it and a minimum limit of $300 to try to fix it. The heck with that of course.

So, I guess what all this is asking is do any of you have experience with this receiver or this sort of problem? Any ideas? Although the Onkyo is much more advanced in many ways, I would love to do an A-B test of my SongTowers with the Technics. If nothing else, it would make this old guy happy to have that great Technics humming through my SongTowers, even if only for a short time. Just think how the old would meet the new. I bet it would sound fantastic! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
LL
LL
LL

shortspark
post #559 of 9222 Old 04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So now its time to get the listening room in order and treated and then find a used heavy duty power amp to really bring the ST's to life.

I can recommend a modest but powerful power amp, the Onkyo 504 with 165 watts @ 8 ohms and up to 500 watts @ 2 ohms. Nice amp and can be found on Ebay for $350-450. The HUGE VU meters on front are an eye full and usefull at determining wattage usage. 20 watts continuous puts out a lot of sound on most speakers. The thing is a tank....something like 55 lbs.

The important thing is that you have picked out the speakers that you like and the amp is secondary IMHO. Good luck and enjoy.
post #560 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you, sterankoman. I will look into that.

post #561 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Any updates on how Dennis is doing?

post #562 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Any updates on how Dennis is doing?

Yeah--I wish someone would tell me. I'm a little foggy. But I do remember that I came home on Friday, got superb care from family members, took some walks, ate, watched GodfatherII (which goes on for freakin ever), and even slept a little. But there's been very little progress on the new laser tweeter. It still drills holes in the wall. Lots of focus, though.
Anyhow, thanks for asking, Nuance. And congrats on the new SongTowers. My best to everyone, dennis.
post #563 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
LOL- I see they left your sense of humor intact.
and it sounds like you are doing just fine!
I am really glad to hear it, it's nice to have you back.

->>>≈<<<-

post #564 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Welcome back, Dennis!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #565 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have not seen a picture of the rear of the Song Towers. Could someone please post a picture or a link to a picture of the rear of the Song Towers. I am curious as to how high up the speaker cable terminals are.

Thanks, Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #566 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's great to know everything went well, Dennis! Glad to have you back!!

Get some rest and enjoy some tunes and movies for a while; you earned it.

post #567 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I have not seen a picture of the rear of the Song Towers. Could someone please post a picture or a link to a picture of the rear of the Song Towers. I am curious as to how high up the speaker cable terminals are.

Thanks, Bill

I measure 13" from the floor including plinth and spikes.
post #568 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahorn View Post

I measure 13" from the floor including plinth and spikes.

bahorn,

Thanks for the info. I assume you do not have to use the spikes as I have soft pine floors.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #569 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back, Dennis! I am thrilled to hear everything was a success
post #570 of 9222 Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Bill

While I see your question has been answered, I will post a pic for you just the same (not my speakers though).

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page