post #6841 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Does anyone know the difference between these aside from sensitivity. Both go down as low as 34hz and transmission line. Same price. LCY vs RAAL tweeters. Why would you choose one over another? There are a lot of overlapping or similarly priced Salk models not including the unusual one off designs that have no posted specs or graphs. How bout V3 vs HT2-TL? Confused...

Actually the HT1TL now comes with Raal as well. I think you will find these to be similar then they are different. Things to consider, rated ohm,MTM vs TM, the STSC also comes with full front baffle if i remember reading from Jim's posting. The TM probably have better standing coverage, may work easier with most receivers but less efficeint, the STSC are 4 ohms, slightly slimmer and taller..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Does anyone know the difference between these aside from sensitivity. Both go down as low as 34hz and transmission line. Same price. LCY vs RAAL tweeters. Why would you choose one over another? There are a lot of overlapping or similarly priced Salk models not including the unusual one off designs that have no posted specs or graphs. How bout V3 vs HT2-TL? Confused...

Based on a comment Dennis made at Audio Circle, the Super-Charged SongTower's should be about 87dB sensitive (one less than the standard ST's, as Dennis stated). The HT1 probably utilizes the RAAL now, though, so that's an apples to apples comparison.

The V3 doesn't get much play, but honestly you would think it's a better speaker on paper due to the true 3-way design. The TI 100 midrange should also have better dispersion due to being 4", no? I would imagine the V3 is now offered with the RAAL ribbon, which would make it an awesome choice IMO. The HT2-TL is more sensitive (which is expected), but the V3 is rated as an 8 ohm nominal speaker. I am absolutely in love with the HT2-TL, but if I was choosing within that price range I think I'd opt for the V3, if nothing else to own something different than everyone else local to me. I would, of course, consult with Jim first. If he says the HT2-TL's sound better that's good enough for me.

If I was chosing between the HT1-TL and SC-ST I'd choose the latter due to the higher sensitivity and extra output/headroom. That full front baffle is sexy! YMMV.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6843 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't go V3. The HT2TL out of the box is superior. I've had them both and for all around performance the HT2 is the choice.
post #6844 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

cool, checking it out... this might mean that i may actually have to use my twitter account....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

What's twitter?

Noobs. Don't you know it's beneficial being a well-rounded nerd? (oreos help)

You teach me audio engineering and what I need to enjoy my system to its fullest, I got your back on the internet tech thing. Deal?

In all seriousness, if you're a relatively frequent internet purchaser the trackthis service is golden, and worth using twitter just for it (email & text messages are also supported). UPS and Fedex have a hard time getting to my house, my packages are left at the bottom of the mountain. I get notification about a minute after packages are dropped.

post #6845 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Don't go V3. The HT2TL out of the box is superior. I've had them both and for all around performance the HT2 is the choice.

Good to know. What are the main differences and why do you lean HT2-TL?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6846 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Noobs. Don't you know it's beneficial being a well-rounded nerd? (oreos help)

You teach me audio engineering and what I need to enjoy my system to its fullest, I got your back on the internet tech thing. Deal?

In all seriousness, if you're a relatively frequent internet purchaser the trackthis service is golden, and worth using twitter just for it (email & text messages are also supported). UPS and Fedex have a hard time getting to my house, my packages are left at the bottom of the mountain. I get notification about a minute after packages are dropped.

mmmm... oreos.... mmmmm

deal!

i'm gonna set it up, i get deliveries at least once a week...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6847 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

The V3 was fine but not a world beater like the HT2. The HT2 played deeper and took a pounding without breaking a sweat. The V3 was more sophisticated in nature. A little more delicate. On paper both are great. Not many uses/requests for the V3 these days anyways. I did not like the aluminum drivers of the V series near as much as the Seas drivers in the Veracity series for what they can do.

Workhorses of the Salk portfolio to me are the SongTowers, HT2TL's and now the SS8's. For the money/price brackets a potential customer might be looking at, the $2k, $4k, $8k ranges give you huge amounts of quality.
post #6848 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The V3 was fine but not a world beater like the HT2. The HT2 played deeper and took a pounding without breaking a sweat. The V3 was more sophisticated in nature. A little more delicate. On paper both are great. Not many uses/requests for the V3 these days anyways. I did not like the aluminum drivers of the V series near as much as the Seas drivers in the Veracity series for what they can do.

Workhorses of the Salk portfolio to me are the SongTowers, HT2TL's and now the SS8's. For the money/price brackets a potential customer might be looking at, the $2k, $4k, $8k ranges give you huge amounts of quality.

Thank you, Pete; your input is much appreciated. I completely agree that Salk has "world beater" speakers in all the price categories you mentioned. I've simply heard nothing better in those ranges, though I haven't heard Dennis' Philharmonic speakers yet.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6849 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Although I get confused easily these days, I don't believe I've done a RAAL version of the V3. I think that the original intent of that speaker was to approximate the quality of the HT3 except for bass extension, at a lower price. But the transmission line version of the HT2 turned out so well in the bass department that the V3 kind of got lost. It was a transition item.
post #6850 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Although I get confused easily these days, I don't believe I've done a RAAL version of the V3. I think that the original intent of that speaker was to approximate the quality of the HT3 except for bass extension, at a lower price. But the transmission line version of the HT2 turned out so well in the bass department that the V3 kind of got lost. It was a transition item.

Agree. The HT2 beat it out and never looked back.
post #6851 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Agree. The HT2 beat it out and never looked back.

It's confusing though. They should phase out the "inferior" models... too many similar choices.

Looking at the specs, yes I agree that ultimately the choices are SongTowers, HT2TL, then the SS8. But it took a lot of reading and consideration... Then there are the one off designs like the Ellis and Jordan.
post #6852 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's confusing though. They should phase out the "inferior" models... too many similar choices.

Looking at the specs, yes I agree that ultimately the choices are SongTowers, HT2TL, then the SS8. But it took a lot of reading and consideration... Then there are the one off designs like the Ellis and Jordan.

Salk Sound is a custom speaker builder. He loves a challenge and will build you a custom speaker if you have one in mind. Therefore you find many one-offs listed on the site and occasionally someone wants one of those. Also, as a proud parent, it would be hard to favor one child over another or to turn their portrait over on the bureau versus another child, correct?

So my advice is to consider HT2 over V3 and SS8 over HT3. But guaranteed someone will order a pair of HT3's as soon as I say that!

And you can listen to us clowns or just call the expert Jim directly and he will never upsell you.

And FYI, there are several "new", experimental models in the shop right now. Some may come to market and some may never see the light of day. Always an exciting day in the shop and no moss will ever grow on their toes!!
post #6853 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I've simply heard nothing better in those ranges, though I haven't heard Dennis' Philharmonic speakers yet.

I wanted to do a shootout of Ascend, Salk, and Phil. Alas it's not possible due to logistical reasons. One a separate note I don't see any dimensions measurements for the SS8 on its page...
post #6854 of 9206 Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So my advice is to consider HT2 over V3 and SS8 over HT3. But guaranteed someone will order a pair of HT3's as soon as I say that!

I'm waiting on my HT3's so don't say that

I chose the HT3's mainly because I love the shape of them and my wife thinks they look like art.

I'm sure the HT3 will sound plenty wonderful and I didn't wanna drop another 2,000 for the SS8 and another 1500 or so for the SS center.
post #6855 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to do a shootout of Ascend, Salk, and Phil. Alas it's not possible due to logistical reasons. One a separate note I don't see any dimensions measurements for the SS8 on its page...

The cabinet measures 40" tall, 10 1/2 wide and 15" deep - quite small for a speaker that easily plays to an F3 of 25Hz.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104226.0
post #6856 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I (we) will be having that exact shootout on April 14th; can't wait!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6857 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Looking forward to it too! Hey on a related note, maybe this is my opinion but I almost wish Jim would bring the SS8's instead being they are smaller and more in line with most folks budgets. The SS10's are crazy expensive and have to be quite the PITA to haul around. Either way, looking forward to hearing one of them!
post #6858 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Looking forward to it too! Hey on a related note, maybe this is my opinion but I almost wish Jim would bring the SS8's instead being they are smaller and more in line with most folks budgets. The SS10's are crazy expensive and have to be quite the PITA to haul around. Either way, looking forward to hearing one of them!

I am also looking forward to the thoughts from those that will be attending the WI GTG. Maybe if Jim has a pair of SS8's available he could bring those instead of the SS10's. But maybe all the SS8's are spoken for.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6859 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is great news! I'm envious. I can't wait for your assessment to be posted, as my Philharmonics will be delivered within a few weeks of the shootout.

Wisconsin rocks! Who knew?

post #6860 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I am also looking forward to the thoughts from those that will be attending the WI GTG. Maybe if Jim has a pair of SS8's available he could bring those instead of the SS10's. But maybe all the SS8's are spoken for.

Bill

Hey Bill,
We like to keep things exciting here in WI these days This event should be a lot of fun especially meeting new people, hearing new music, and having quite a few folks who own none of the speakers attending be able to voice their thoughts.
I am one who never really seeks out in store demos of speakers not only because of the hassle but there are few places near me, so these events are a great opportunity to hear new stuff!
post #6861 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill

How much would I have to put in an escrow account to get you guys attending the GTG to NOT extoll the virtues of the SS series for a few months :-)

My wallet has taken a pounding with AV investments this year and the SS8's are sooooo tempting....
post #6862 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i think we should road trip...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #6863 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

^^^

That would help me to not purchase them how? :-)

If it was a little closer, I'd be all over the trip.
post #6864 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

How much would I have to put in an escrow account to get you guys attending the GTG to NOT extoll the virtues of the SS series for a few months :-)

My wallet has taken a pounding with AV investments this year and the SS8's are sooooo tempting....

LOL! If the price is right...

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6865 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

That would help me to not purchase them how? :-)

If it was a little closer, I'd be all over the trip.

ah, but my plan was just the opposite...

i betcha we could make it in the m3 in no time at all, as long as we were undisturbed by the gendarmes...

- chris

post #6866 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There will already be a pair of SS10's in the Milwaukee area for review, and Jim was (is) planning on picking them up around the GTG. If there is a conflict with doing so, Jim said he would make sure a pair of SS8's made it to the GTG. Personally, I think either will be awesome, but I suppose the latter would be more appropriate considering the price bracket of the speakers that will be in attendance. Regardless, I've got no complaints.

In case you guys didn't already know, there will be other speakers including more Salk stuff, something from Vapor Audio (hopefully; he's on the fence on attending due to a busy schedule) and PSB. April 14th cannot get here soon enough!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6867 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

Can I be Dr. Gonzo?

post #6868 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SS10's are a review pair in Chicago that need to be picked up so they were an easy decision to bring along. If you were really sweet to me maybe I could let you hear my SS8's but that would mean driving my V8 gas guzzler so we could fit both sets of speakers in the vehicle.

In the end, the 8 and 10 are the same up top and really only differ in low end extension.
post #6869 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Can I be Dr. Gonzo?

but of course...

one of these days i gotta make it out there for one of these get togethers... if nothing else, i can get swmbo the cheesehead she wants so badly...

- chris

post #6870 of 9206 Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SS10's are a review pair in Chicago that need to be picked up so they were an easy decision to bring along. If you were really sweet to me maybe I could let you hear my SS8's but that would mean driving my V8 gas guzzler so we could fit both sets of speakers in the vehicle.

In the end, the 8 and 10 are the same up top and really only differ in low end extension.

ahh, that makes sense why Jim choose the SS10's. If you want I can whisper sweet nothings into your ear

You are right, the only real difference should be the added bass of the 10's.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page