post #7141 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

On another note, when I told my g/f of the delay she was genuinely disappointed--more than I was even. It seems that, despite the ribbing I get for being an a/v geek, she is emotionally invested in this upgrade as well.

Propose immediately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

On another note, when I told my g/f of the delay she was genuinely disappointed--more than I was even. It seems that, despite the ribbing I get for being an a/v geek, she is emotionally invested in this upgrade as well.

That's pretty cool if you ask me. My wife has been emotionally invested since our WI GTG, but when she actually started posting here a few individuals were rude to her and pushed her away; she is now done with AVS...didn't even last a week. This place is great but it also sucks sometimes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7143 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

That's pretty cool if you ask me. My wife has been emotionally invested since our WI GTG, but then she actually started posting here and some toolbags were rude to her and pushed her away; she is now done with AVS...didn't even last a week. This place is great but it also sucks sometimes...

Awe man that sucks! Tell her not to let scum bags ruin her fun, if she wants to come on here and post, ask questions etc, she shouldn't feel uncomfortable doing so. I'm sure there are members on here including myself that would defend her or anyone that become a victim of a tool bag/bags.
post #7144 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

That's pretty cool if you ask me. My wife has been emotionally invested since our WI GTG, but when she actually started posting here a few individuals were rude to her and pushed her away; she is now done with AVS...didn't even last a week. This place is great but it also sucks sometimes...

I'm sorry to hear that!

What did they say to her?

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #7145 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Yeah, I was following the thread and was sorry to see that. For what it's worth I thought she did a great job. She's a great resource in that she's able to approach the subject unburdened with the normal sort of baggage, bias, posturing and expectations many of us have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

I'm sorry to hear that!

What did they say to her?

Just someone (or two...) who forgot it's just a hobby.

post #7146 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

Propose immediately

Haha, no dice Randy. I'm not that easy.

post #7147 of 9254 Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys, I'll pass that along to my wife. She won't be coming back, though, because none of those guys cared how she was being treated, and then they preceded to bash women for their "poor driving skills."

post #7148 of 9254 Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I found a review of the Soundscape 10.
http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1031
post #7149 of 9254 Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

Interesting. He liked it, so I won't argue. (But skip the part about the grill covering the Accuton. I would bet my retirement pension, 2002 Jetta, and 1973 BMW 2002 that no one could ever tell whether the grill was on or off in a blind test.)
post #7150 of 9254 Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Yeah, the author spent way too much time on that Accuton grill rant, but came to a good conclusion in the end. I liked his scales of reference concept.
post #7151 of 9254 Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The whole thing about having $12K speakers 2 feet from the wall... Like, seriously?

Anyways I don't particularily care for so-called "3rd party reviews" without any actual measurements (Even some in-room stuff to give an idea of what he was hearing in the bass)
post #7152 of 9254 Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

The whole thing about having $12K speakers 2 feet from the wall... Like, seriously

Meaning they shouldn't need to be when spending that much dough?

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #7153 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Interesting. He liked it, so I won't argue. (But skip the part about the grill covering the Accuton. I would bet my retirement pension, 2002 Jetta, and 1973 BMW 2002 that no one could ever tell whether the grill was on or off in a blind test.)

Interesting he ranted against the grill covering the Accuton but not the RAAL.

post #7154 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

The whole thing about having $12K speakers 2 feet from the wall... Like, seriously?

Anyways I don't particularily care for so-called "3rd party reviews" without any actual measurements (Even some in-room stuff to give an idea of what he was hearing in the bass)

I don't particularly like that style of review either (just my personal preference, not a critique).

post #7155 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Measurements would have been cool, but this guy wasn't being influence by money, advertising $$$ or anything else...well, except the sound of the speakers, so I can appreciate that. I enjoyed the review, albeit being a little long winded. HAHA, did I just say someone's reviews were "long winded?" That's like the pot calling the kettle black, eh? LOL

post #7156 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After reading various reviews and GTG threads I've become interested in the HT2-TL's, the one thing that makes me a bit apprehensive is the talk of the speaker being overdriven at higher levels. For music listening I'm not worried about the output levels but for movies I'm hoping that being crossed over to a sub will eliminate that aspect.

I'm not trying to achieve reference levels but want a speakers that's capable of clean playback of 95db peaks at a listening distance of 11.5 ft. I don't listen to movies that loudly all the time but want the speakers to be capable of that when the need arises.

I'm hoping to be able to make it over to Jim's place sometime this summer to be able to give them a listen, if I decide to change my current speakers ( Paradigm Signature S6 v3 ) that would not happen until next year.

So my question is will the HT2-TL's and matching center have any trouble with 95db peaks at 11.5ft when crossed over at 60-80 hz?
post #7157 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

After reading various reviews and GTG threads I've become interested in the HT2-TL's, the one thing that makes me a bit apprehensive is the talk of the speaker being overdriven at higher levels. For music listening I'm not worried about the output levels but for movies I'm hoping that being crossed over to a sub will eliminate that aspect.

I'm not trying to achieve reference levels but want a speakers that's capable of clean playback of 95db peaks at a listening distance of 11.5 ft. I don't listen to movies that loudly all the time but want the speakers to be capable of that when the need arises.

I'm hoping to be able to make it over to Jim's place sometime this summer to be able to give them a listen, if I decide to change my current speakers ( Paradigm Signature S6 v3 ) that would not happen until next year.

So my question is will the HT2-TL's and matching center have any trouble with 95db peaks at 11.5ft when crossed over at 60-80 hz?

I don't believe you would have an issue. I have my HT2-TLs crossed over to a sub and have never felt like I was overdriving them when watching movies. As an example, I remember when watching Super 8 the train crash scene got scary loud without any obvious distortion (that was a seriously intense scene). However, I wouldn't try this running the HT2-TLs full range.

I do sit a little closer than you (about 8ft), but I still think you would be OK.

Hope this helps.

post #7158 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I don't particularly like that style of review either (just my personal preference, not a critique).

I don't have a problem with it from, say, a forum post.

But that's my problem with it from any sort of "publication" - it's basically a drawn out forum post with advertisements. If you're going to call yourself a pro, carry yourself professionally.
post #7159 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal velocity View Post

i don't have a problem with it from, say, a forum post.

But that's my problem with it from any sort of "publication" - it's basically a drawn out forum post with advertisements. If you're going to call yourself a pro, carry yourself professionally.

+1

post #7160 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
The reviewer had this pair of SoundScape 10's in his system for eight months. So he certainly had enough time to document any faults he was able to find. He told me that if he listened to a component he did not think highly of, he would pass on the review rather than writing a negative one. So from that point, being picky about the grills on the Accutons and the spacing of the binding posts is something we can certainly live with.

As for the Accuton grills, I can say with certainty that if they were not equipped with grills, we would not offer them. On two occasions, I accidentally touched the rear of the cones when installing them and was treated to the sound of cracked ceramic cones...not pleasant to listen to and certainly not pleasant to replace at $350 each. So, if they did not have grills, we wouldn't consider using them.

The binding post positions were determined by the Cardas jumpers we ship on these speakers. If we spaced them wider, the jumpers would not work. I figure Cardas has been around long enough so that they have pretty much established a reasonable standard for binding post spacing.

My only reaction to the review as a whole was that I wondered how valuable it would be to someone considering these speakers. He did make some comparisons but really didn't address what the speaker sounded like as a whole. So I'm not sure how valuable the review would be to someone trying to make a purchasing decision.

Other than that, he told me he was highly impressed with the speakers and thought we would be very happy with his positive review. I guess we can't ask for more than that.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #7161 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

So, we can double up speaker cables and definitely hear differences. The grill rings if you tap it, huh? I guess you shouldn't have any lead crystal glasses around because those ring too. He had those for over 1/2 year?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #7162 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

The reviewer had this pair of SoundScape 10's in his system for eight months. So he certainly had enough time to document any faults he was able to find. He told me that if he listened to a component he did not think highly of, he would pass on the review rather than writing a negative one. So from that point, being picky about the grills on the Accutons and the spacing of the binding posts is something we can certainly live with.

As for the Accuton grills, I can say with certainty that if they were not equipped with grills, we would not offer them. On two occasions, I accidentally touched the rear of the cones when installing them and was treated to the sound of cracked ceramic cones...not pleasant to listen to and certainly not pleasant to replace at $350 each. So, if they did not have grills, we wouldn't consider using them.

The binding post positions were determined by the Cardas jumpers we ship on these speakers. If we spaced them wider, the jumpers would not work. I figure Cardas has been around long enough so that they have pretty much established a reasonable standard for binding post spacing.

My only reaction to the review as a whole was that I wondered how valuable it would be to someone considering these speakers. He did make some comparisons but really didn't address what the speaker sounded like as a whole. So I'm not sure how valuable the review would be to someone trying to make a purchasing decision.

Other than that, he told me he was highly impressed with the speakers and thought we would be very happy with his positive review. I guess we can't ask for more than that.

- Jim

Hey Jim,

if you would like to send me a pair of SS8s for 8 months I'd be more than happy to write up a review you.

post #7163 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

So, we can double up speaker cables and definitely hear differences. The grill rings if you tap it, huh? I guess you shouldn't have any lead crystal glasses around because those ring too. He had those for over 1/2 year?

Yeah, he kind of lost me when talking about (IMO) audio voodoo.

Perhaps I might think different if I was more familiar with that reviewer's review history and style, but I didn't find it particularly useful and was bit bored by it (just my opinion). Perhaps his way of praising a speaker is just a bit understated/subdued.

post #7164 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Yeah, he kind of lost me when talking about (IMO) audio voodoo.

Perhaps I might think different if I was more familiar with that reviewer's review history and style, but I didn't find it particularly useful and was bit bored by it (just my opinion). Perhaps his way of praising a speaker is just a bit understated/subdued.

I have a hard time telling if he/they do it because they believe it or because it gives them some street cred with the Rapture crowd as well as encouraging more vendors to send their products in to increase readership.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #7165 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope, they will have no troubles. Where did you read that they were over-driven? If it was the WI GTG, let's just say it wasn't the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

LOL, I was waiting for someone to mention that. Like I said on Audio Circle, I wish the first two pages weren't only about technology, build quality, specs and his own review system. I am a firm believer that one page is plenty to describe the technology involved, review system used and any other babble deemed necessary. But finishing two of three pages and seeing no sound quality mentions in sight was underwhelming. ?Shrug

Quote:

Hey Jim,

if you would like to send me a pair of SS8s for 8 months I'd be more than happy to write up a review you.

LOL- that was a running gag at the GTG. A bunch of us said something to Jim along those lines.

post #7166 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't believe you would have an issue. I have my HT2-TLs crossed over to a sub and have never felt like I was overdriving them when watching movies. As an example, I remember when watching Super 8 the train crash scene got scary loud without any obvious distortion (that was a seriously intense scene). However, I wouldn't try this running the HT2-TLs full range.

I do sit a little closer than you (about 8ft), but I still think you would be OK.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your impressions, I thought that if crossed over to a sub the HT2-TL's would be more than capable. Like I said I don't always listen at those kinds of levels but when I start to push the volume a bit -10 on the processor is about as high as I'll go.

I'm assuming you've got the matching center, if so are you pleased with it's performance? I'm just wondering if they be any performance differences going with a two way center vs the three way center I've got now, which is the Paradigm Signature C5 v3.
post #7167 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

So this on Audiogon.Great center but ugly color.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sal...-channel-maple

I would have brought that in a second if it was in another color...
post #7168 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope, they will have no troubles. Where did you read that they were over-driven? If it was the WI GTG, let's just say it wasn't the speakers.

LOL, I was waiting for someone to mention that. Like I said on Audio Circle, I wish the first two pages were actually about the sound quality of the speakers...

LOL- that was a running gag at the GTG. A bunch of us said something to Jim along those lines.

Thanks for the response.

Obviously I wasn't there so I can only go by what I've read, I guess I got the wrong impression.

I'm looking forward to being able to here a pair sometime in the near future, if I really like them it might be a tough wait until next year.
post #7169 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've owned my HT2-TL's since they were invented over 3 years ago. Do not be alarmed by what you read in the GTG thread. I run my HT2-TL's for home theater at volumes where I was surprised I didn't blow them up. I've never heard any distortion issues. You have no cause for concern IMO.

I ran things pretty loud for some attendees that Friday night. Everyone was very impressed with the HT demos we ran. We were way over 95db at my 13.5' listening distance and the speakers were high passed at 80Hz with my subs handling the LFE.
post #7170 of 9254 Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I too thought the review to be a bit informal and cobbled together. His concern about the proximity of the binding posts is a bit puzzling too. I mean, you could always avoid a possible short by turning off your amp when you connect the speakers. Or by unplugging your magical power cable.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page