8Likes

post #721 of 9227 Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post

Jim, Why the phase plug on the woofer? I cannot recall ever seeing that before. Speakers look gorgeous though.

Jim's probably busy loading up to go to AKfest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9227 Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

Jim's probably busy loading up to go to AKfest.

I suspect you are correct. And rightfully so since he's unveiling those wicked open baffle speakers (as of yet to be unnamed). I can't wait to get some feedback about the new speakers after the AKfest!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #723 of 9227 Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

I had intended to post pictures here as soon as we developed a technical description of the speaker. But someone beat us to the punch.

At any rate, here are a few pictures I took last evening of the speakers mentioned above.

And a side few...

And a close-up of the front baffle...

The design was developed originally by Jeff Bagby, a very talented speaker designer and author of a number of software programs for speaker design. Working with Jeff, we modified his design to utilize a custom-made Lambda woofer and a new cabinet.

We will be showing this design at the AKFest this week-end. It is so new, we don't have a name or price yet. But that is not a problem. As is our custom, we have enlisted the help of creative audiophiles everywhere.

I started a "name this open baffle speaker" thread on our circle on audiocircle. The thread spells out technical details on the design and will allow anyone to suggest a name.

Here is a link to that thread:

Name that speaker thread

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

- Jim

What are the price of these speakers, and will they have a matching center channel?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #724 of 9227 Old 05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
[quote=tdogroeder;13788806]What are the price of these speakers, and will they have a matching center channel?[/QUOTE

Don't know about the center channel, but Jim says the price will be in the $4,000/pr region. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...topic=54161.40
post #725 of 9227 Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
[quote=Dennis Murphy;13788998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

What are the price of these speakers, and will they have a matching center channel?[/QUOTE

Don't know about the center channel, but Jim says the price will be in the $4,000/pr region. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...topic=54161.40

Thanks, but that will be out of my price range.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #726 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ Remember, Jim can pretty much create anything in a person's price range. If you like his work just contact him with your budget and desires. I'm sure he can work something out, and if not he'll likely recommend other manufactures. He's a stand up guy (so is Dennis).

Dennis, how are you feeling, by the way? I hope you're healing up nicely.

post #727 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is this the new flagship? how does it compare to the HT3?
post #728 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

dlfromcanada - Based on the price I'd say no, its not the new flagship; just a different sound and design. It doesn't have the ribbon tweeter, so I'd guess that the HT3's have a more open and detailed high frequency. Jim was asked what the difference between this open baffle speaker and the HT3's were. He gave an explanation over in his Audio Circle thread of the difference in sound characteristics. Here it is:

Quote Jim Salk from the Audio Circle Forums

"Well, that is a hard one to pin down as they are both rather unique. While the HT3's have a 10" woofer and the new speaker has a 12", the HT3's do play lower and are perhaps a little more detailed in the mid-bass area. This is due both to the paper cone and the higher sensitivity of the driver used in the new design. In the midrange area, it is pretty much a draw. The W18's in the HT3's are perhaps slightly more detailed, but the PHL's are one of the nicest high-efficiency midranges available today. On the top end, the HT3's will have a little more transparency due to the ribbon tweeter. The Morel tweeter, on the other hand, is one of the finest dome tweeters available, so the top end is very smooth.

But the drivers only tell half the story. An open baffle design, by its very nature offers a more diffuse, spacious soundfield. Some people will prefer the pinpoint imaging of the HT3's. Others will enjoy the more open and spacious sound of this new design.

The other issue that separates the designs is sensitivity. This new design will mate very well with a moderately-powered tube amp - one which could not drive the HT3's successfully.

Both designs are very solid (IMO). For music, either would do a great job depending on your room, sonic tastes and the type of music you prefer to listen to. For HT or mixed music/HT, you would probably be better off with the HT3's.

The market for a speaker like this is much more limited than say, the market for HT3's. But there are some individuals who will find this new design better suited to their particular situation. Some people simply prefer open baffle designs. Some people prefer lower powered tube amps. These were the people we had in mind for this speaker and we think they will love them.

I hope that helps.

- Jim
"

I hope that answers your question (I suspect it did since Jim's response was thorough and concise). You can find more info about the new speaker here.

post #729 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Dennis, how are you feeling, by the way? I hope you're healing up nicely.[/quote]

Hi Thanks for asking. I'm doing great. I would be doing even greater if I could have made it out to AK to hear the new design. It sounds like it has a lot going for it--high sensitivity, solid bass, and that special dipole sound.
post #730 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi Thanks for asking. I'm doing great. I would be doing even greater if I could have made it out to AK to hear the new design. It sounds like it has a lot going for it--high sensitivity, solid bass, and that special dipole sound.

I hear ya - great to know you doing well, though.

Speaking of the new design and AK fest, Big Red Machine, whom owns multiple pairs of Salk speakers including the HT3's, said this about the new speaker after hearing it at AK fest this weekend.

Quote Big Red Machine from the Audio Circle Salk Forum:

"The sound of these is addicting. Absolutely superb. Tight, deep bass and room filling music without being too diffuse or inarticulate. I was captured the instant I heard them and stayed in the room most of the day. Truly a success as a speaker."

Pretty cool stuff, Big Red! I can't wait to hear these babies!

Edit: More impressions and pics from the AK fest can be found here.

post #731 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM

I can't wait to read about the reviews. I hope someone will tell us which amp went with what speaker and their impression of each. (Putting a list together of amps and which Salk Sound speakers to buy).

Don
post #732 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM

Liked: 12
Another great design similar to the new unnamed Salk, was the Selah audio 3D, with ribbon tweeters, Accuton mids and aurasound woofers. For some reason this design lasted only about a year and was removed from their site. Maybe dipoles are not ready for prime time.
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/d...ch&cat=0&pos=4
post #733 of 9227 Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM

The AMP's were Van Alstine. They were his very best! I believe it was the Fet Valve Ultra 550 hooked up to the SongTowers and the HT3's.
With those AMP's and Jim's speakers it was just amazing. That combination is about the best you can get!
post #734 of 9227 Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM

I posted my thoughts on my AK fest experience at the other Salk Sound site.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...=53548.new#new
post #735 of 9227 Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for sharing, Sanlanman.

post #736 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question for anyone who has heard the Sound Towers and the HT2's. My budget right now would allow me to buy the Song Towers, Song Center and Surround 1 or I could buy a set of HT2's and add the Center later and use my present center for now. Is there a noticeable difference in the sound quality between the Song Tower and the Hk2?Which option would be the best to do now? I listen to music about 30% and movies 70% . In the movie column I do watch and listen to a lot of concert dvd's.

Thomas DiCecco
post #737 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

I have a question for anyone who has heard the Sound Towers and the HT2's. My budget right now would allow me to buy the Song Towers, Song Center and Surround 1 or I could buy a set of HT2's and add the Center later and use my present center for now. Is there a noticeable difference in the sound quality between the Song Tower and the Hk2?Which option would be the best to do now? I listen to music about 30% and movies 70% . In the movie column I do watch and listen to a lot of concert dvd's.

I have had my Song Towers for about two weeks now and I could not be happier with music (2 channel) reproduction and movies in my 5.1 system. I did a review a few pages back of both my movie and music impressions. These are the only Salk speakers I have heard so I can't compare but the Song Towers do very well for me through my Onkyo receiver. If I had to choose applications, I would rate the Song Towers an A for music and a B for movies (as my review indicated).

I don't know what kind of "concert dvds" you watch. The ones I watch are opera and although many are in dolby and even dts, I loose nothing by playing them in stereo. 5.1 seems a little artificial for soloist and recital singing to me but maybe your kind of music would be enhanced by 5.1. From what I've read, the HTs are the best bet for movies in general but for music, only an audiophile would find them much better for music - again, from what some people have said. The point is that unless you are a super critical listener, the Song Towers should fit the bill.

shortspark
post #738 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 06:15 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The HT2's are very nice but if you are 70% HT then go with the ST's. If you were after 90% critical listening then the HT2 or HT3 for sure. You haven't had a chance to hear it yet, but the new open baffle design is fantastic. We haven't tried it in HT mode that I know of and you have to have a hankering for the open baffle sound, but for the price they are very nice.
post #739 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

I have had my Song Towers for about two weeks now and I could not be happier with music (2 channel) reproduction and movies in my 5.1 system. I did a review a few pages back of both my movie and music impressions. These are the only Salk speakers I have heard so I can't compare but the Song Towers do very well for me through my Onkyo receiver. If I had to choose applications, I would rate the Song Towers an A for music and a B for movies (as my review indicated).

I don't know what kind of "concert dvds" you watch. The ones I watch are opera and although many are in dolby and even dts, I loose nothing by playing them in stereo. 5.1 seems a little artificial for soloist and recital singing to me but maybe your kind of music would be enhanced by 5.1. From what I've read, the HTs are the best bet for movies in general but for music, only an audiophile would find them much better for music - again, from what some people have said. The point is that unless you are a super critical listener, the Song Towers should fit the bill.

I am curious about something. If the Song Tower's receive an "A" for music, why do they only get a "B" for movies? The reason I ask is because is it much harder for a speaker to reproduce the dynamics and nuances of music than it is for a movie. Movies' final cut is mixed on the cutting floor - a process no where near as intricate as recording an album or live performance. So I'm curious why the ST's don't also get an "A" for movies since it is easier for a speaker to give a good movie experience than it is to give a solid musical experience. Is it because they don't hit hard below 40Hz? If so, that's what a subwoofer is for.

post #740 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Naunce, I completely agree. The other issue is that I believe the system does not have a matching center channel and surrounds. So, IMO, it would be difficult to rate a speaker on HT when it may be difficult to have a seemless integrated system.
post #741 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ Very good point.

post #742 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I am curious about something. If the Song Tower's receive an "A" for music, why do they only get a "B" for movies? The reason I ask is because is it much harder for a speaker to reproduce the dynamics and nuances of music than it is for a movie. Movies' final cut is mixed on the cutting floor - a process no where near as intricate as recording an album or live performance. So I'm curious why the ST's don't also get an "A" for movies since it is easier for a speaker to give a good movie experience than it is to give a solid musical experience. Is it because they don't hit hard below 40Hz? If so, that's what a subwoofer is for.

I know you read my reviews and I said that with some additional tweaking I could bring them up to an "A" in HT. I'm almost there as I have been fooling around with crossover points and my sub's own level. Yes, the deep bass is handled by my sub but I thought I could get a little more from the ST's bass, even if it is not necessary in every case. In music, since I listen to vocals most of the time in 2 channel, deep bass is not necessary (actually 2.1 because in "stereo", the sub is also enabled. In my opera listening, the STs are great as the voices shimmer in sound. In HT it is somewhat hard to determine exactly what sounds are coming from what speakers.

In my reviews I mentioned some dialogue from a couple movies I watched (Devil Wears Prada and Meet The Faulkers), The voices were moving back and forth it seemed from the center to the mains, more so than with my old Cambridge speakers. At least it seemed that way. In music I don't care about anything but hearing the voices sing and I could not ask for a better experience there. As I get the chance, I still have to fool around a bit with the dolby stuff and other settings on my receiver and I bet once I get it right the STs will be "A"s there too. There are no real shortcomings with the STs of importance to me and that is why I recommended them to DiCecco and told him they would fit the bill for music and HT.

shortspark
post #743 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know you read my reviews and I said that with some additional tweaking I could bring them up to an "A" in HT. I'm almost there as I have been fooling around with crossover points and my sub's own level. Yes, the deep bass is handled by my sub but I thought I could get a little more from the ST's bass, even if it is not necessary in every case. In music, since I listen to vocals most of the time in 2 channel, deep bass is not necessary (actually 2.1 because in "stereo", the sub is also enabled. In my opera listening, the STs are great as the voices shimmer in sound. In HT it is somewhat hard to determine exactly what sounds are coming from what speakers.

In my reviews I mentioned some dialogue from a couple movies I watched (Devil Wears Prada and Meet The Faulkers), The voices were moving back and forth it seemed from the center to the mains, more so than with my old Cambridge speakers. At least it seemed that way. In music I don't care about anything but hearing the voices sing and I could not ask for a better experience there. As I get the chance, I still have to fool around a bit with the dolby stuff and other settings on my receiver and I bet once I get it right the STs will be "A"s there too. There are no real shortcomings with the STs of importance to me and that is why I recommended them to DiCecco and told him they would fit the bill for music and HT.

No worries; I wasn't trying to be rude. Your opinion is your opinion, so don't ever let some forum monkey like me change it. I was just curious.

So...if my memory servers me correctly you didn't get the matching center and surrounds, correct? If not, therein lies your problem with HT. Not having a timbre matched front end (at least) will ruin the soundstage. No worries, though; one day you'll get the center and rears and be blown away. Then I have your complete home theater package review to look forward to.

P.S. I love reading consumer reviews!

post #744 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Well I lucked out and found on Audiogon a set of HT2's in cherry veneer for sale at a very good price. The best thing about it they are only a 3hour drive away. I am going to pick them up Saturday. I am thinking about ordering a sealed HT2 and use it as a matching center channel for the HT2's I just bought.

Thomas DiCecco
post #745 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I lucked out and found on Audiogon a set of HT2's in cherry veneer for sale at a very good price. The best thing about it they are only a 3hour drive away. I am going to pick them up Saturday. I am thinking about ordering a sealed HT2 and use it as a matching center channel for the HT2's I just bought.

Wow, congrats! Please post your impressions once you get them set up.
post #746 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, congrats! I too am looking forward to your impressions.

post #747 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Sent my payment in for two Salk HTS MTs design with no BSC....Cant wait too test them!!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #748 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

No worries; I wasn't trying to be rude. Your opinion is your opinion, so don't ever let some forum monkey like me change it. I was just curious.

So...if my memory servers me correctly you didn't get the matching center and surrounds, correct? If not, therein lies your problem with HT. Not having a timbre matched front end (at least) will ruin the soundstage. No worries, though; one day you'll get the center and rears and be blown away. Then I have your complete home theater package review to look forward to.

P.S. I love reading consumer reviews!

No Nuance, I never thought you rude. You bring a lot to this place and I understand your question perfectly. You are right, my center and surrounds do not match. My center is the large Cambridge Soundworks and my surrounds are BA Bravo IIs. Sort of a hodge podge but, as I said before, I think the center and mains are a pretty good match as is although not perfect. We'll get there someday!

shortspark
post #749 of 9227 Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Sent my payment in for two Salk HTS MTs design with no BSC....Cant wait too test them!!!

Nice! You are going to have quite the nice selection of speakers for your comparison. When is this comparo planned to take place? I'm looking forward to it a lot!
Quote:

No Nuance, I never thought you rude. You bring a lot to this place and I understand your question perfectly. You are right, my center and surrounds do not match. My center is the large Cambridge Soundworks and my surrounds are BA Bravo IIs. Sort of a hodge podge but, as I said before, I think the center and mains are a pretty good match as is although not perfect. We'll get there someday!

Cool; didn't want to come across the wrong way.

All that matters is that you are happy, and it sounds like you are. Enjoy my friend!

post #750 of 9227 Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Nice! You are going to have quite the nice selection of speakers for your comparison. When is this comparo planned to take place? I'm looking forward to it a lot!

The Emotiva set arrived, The ascends are coming tomorrow. I dont have an ETA on the Salks yet. Over the next two weeks I will be testing them all and I have to do it with 2 weeks because Im gone the third week on business and my 30 day period will be up for returning the Emotiva and Ascend sets. I hope the Salks arrive by the end of next week

Right now I believe only my Rocket 450s will have close to the quality of sound the salks should give me since they are the only pair remotely close to the Salks price tag.

Too make sure all speakers are given enough power I will be running a Yahama 663 as a pre/pro and I will be using 200W outlaw monoblocks.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page