Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 9305 Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PAD and yatchaks,
Thanks for your responses. The HT3's will be at the top of my list when I decide it's time to invest in some new speakers.

Pride9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 9305 Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

Love this thread. Glad to see these speakers getting their due.

When I head over to Pete's for a GTG I know it is best for the Visa to stay home, but it is so tempting to bring it. After hearing the ST's at his last meet I wanted them, but know in a few years I'll want to upgrade. It is important to me that Jim makes these here in MI and about 7 min from my house. I told myself that after 12 years of school (5 yrs ME, 4 yrs MSE, and 3 yrs MBA) I will treat myself to V3 with monster center (Jim if you read this... you better still be making speakers in 2 years!!). Who knows maybe I get the itch and get a ST HT.
post #63 of 9305 Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scervin View Post

Love this thread. Glad to see these speakers getting their due.

When I head over to Pete's for a GTG I know it is best for the Visa to stay home, but it is so tempting to bring it. After hearing the ST's at his last meet I wanted them, but know in a few years I'll want to upgrade. It is important to me that Jim makes these here in MI and about 7 min from my house. I told myself that after 12 years of school (5 yrs ME, 4 yrs MSE, and 3 yrs MBA) I will treat myself to V3 with monster center (Jim if you read this... you better still be making speakers in 2 years!!). Who knows maybe I get the itch and get a ST HT.

New room sounds great and I have ALL new equipment from amps, pre, cables, CDP, DAC, etc. And a SB - which I LOVE, BTW.
post #64 of 9305 Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

New Salk's HT3's listening now WOW waiting on the center DHL said delivery on fri. but they were standing outside my door when I got home. Jim you need to rectify shipping. Having this kind of investment set out in our type of weather is not good.

OH but they do sound great, more to come.
post #65 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
^ Aww man...I envy you sir! Congrats on your purchase.

I would love to audition some HT3's. Anyone in Wisconsin own a pair of them or the V3's?

Oh, and where are all the reviews of Salk Sound products? They deserve a lot of recognition IMO!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #66 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM

^ I believe that Jim made mention of sending a pair of Song Towers out to a magazine for review, so maybe we'll see something soon.
post #67 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post

^ I believe that Jim made mention of sending a pair of Song Towers out to a magazine for review, so maybe we'll see something soon.

yup yup! Woohoo! It's about time they get the props they deserve. I'd love for someone to review the HT3's too. Any plans, Jim?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #68 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM

The ellis 1801f(floor stander) seem to have the same cabinet as the songtowers, how does the st and the 1801f compare?
post #69 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huttizo View Post

The ellis 1801f(floor stander) seem to have the same cabinet as the songtowers, how does the st and the 1801f compare?

It's really not the same cabinet. The 1801 has a 6.5" woofer, so the front baffle is wider, and it's a conventional ported design. I did spend some quality time last weekend comparing the bookshelf version of the 1801 with the ST. I thought the ST's had a very slight advantage in bass reach, but I suspect the that floorstander version would reverse that, albeit at lower sensitivity. The two speakers were identical in the highs, because, duh, they have essentially the same tweeter. In between? Well, I ain't sayin'. I did hear a difference, which isn't too surprising given the woofers are very different. I would tell you which I preferred if I thought everyone would agree with me after performing the same experiment, but I don't think there would be a consensus. And I would end up ticking off either Jim or Dave. In case you didn't know, Dave spends his nights inside an ICBM launch facility, and knows how to program those birds for Maryland 20816. Jim can serve a tennis ball at about 98 mph, and loves to aim at economists.
post #70 of 9305 Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and where are all the reviews of Salk Sound products? They deserve a lot of recognition IMO![/quote]

Hi Nuance. Well, maybe you could help out in that department (actually, you already have--thanks!) As you probably know, the conventional hard copy rags (Stereophile, Absolute Sound) won't do a review unless the brand is dealer supported. I'm not familiair with the full range of Internet review sites. I do know that enjoythemusic.com will review Internet-direct products, and they will be reviewing the Song Towers (it could be as soon as the December issue, but that would probably be a miracle). Are there other sites that Jim should consider?
post #71 of 9305 Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi Nuance. Well, maybe you could help out in that department (actually, you already have--thanks!) As you probably know, the conventional hard copy rags (Stereophile, Absolute Sound) won't do a review unless the brand is dealer supported. I'm not familiair with the full range of Internet review sites. I do know that enjoythemusic.com will review Internet-direct products, and they will be reviewing the Song Towers (it could be as soon as the December issue, but that would probably be a miracle). Are there other sites that Jim should consider?

I would suggest:
http://www.6moons.com/
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

Both site provide thurough and accurate reviews, and are ID friendly.
post #72 of 9305 Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree about 6moons.com and hometheaterhifi.com. Here are some others:

stereomojo.com
audioholics.com
goodsound.com
affordableaudio.org
positive-feedback.com

I don't know how (because they aren't available from dealers), but hometheatermag.com has reviewed some Onix products. And it seems that some other products at ********** are getting recognition from magazines such as Stereophile, so there has to be a way. I just don't know what that way is.

Here's to the future and my hopes that Salk Sound gets some recognition! Cheers!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #73 of 9305 Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well the grills made a brief appearance on the speakers during assembly, they mount with magnets (very cool). Since 9:00am these babies have been playing tunes from every source I have. Jim gives you a birth certificate and I think these are already out of diapers.

Right now, Dave Matthews Live at Radio City.

What really sets these apart from my previous speakers is the awesome bass and the clear airy highs that just seem to float above the stage, magical.

The construction of these is something else, I hope one of my grandsons does run into them , they will get the s**t knocked out of them
post #74 of 9305 Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here are some thoughts on the subject of reviews...

For a number of years, we turned down requests for reviews. There were practical reasons for this.

First, we had rather limited production capabilities and always had a significant backlog of orders. We didn't want to hold up these orders producing pairs for review. It just didn't seem fair to paying customers.

Second, it didn't seem prudent to generate additional sales via a review when we could barely keep up with demand the way it was.

The SongTowers have changed the scenario somewhat. We have developed mass-production techniques that allow us to produce many more Song series speakers in a given period of time. So after first turning down requests, we finally sent a review pair to enjoythemusic.com and have been told that their December issue would feature a SongTower review.

Over the past couple of years, we have been approached by a number of other reviewers and may ship pairs of SongTowers to some of them as well.

As for the HT3's and other designs, that may or may not happen. I was contacted by a reviewer from The Absolute Sound who was very interested in doing an HT3 review. But this reviewer did not have the final decision. When we explored it further, the TAS Editor informed me that their policy was to review only speakers being sold at retail.

I think that policies like this are bound to change as ID distribution becomes more main stream. In fact, I would suspect that ID distribution will eventually become the norm as it eliminates about 40% of the cost of a pair of speakers.

But until that happens, main stream magazines like TAS, Stereophile and others will probably not be all that interested in reviewing products from smaller ID companies like ours. These magazines make money by selling ads to large volume manufacturers selling at retail. If the magazine publishes a very positive review about a product that delivers far more bang for the buck, that would not make their advertisers very happy. So I fully understand their position.

That leaves the online review sites and I would suspect we will eventually submit more products to these types of sites.

However, we do not currently have HT3's available for review. In fact, I have not had a personal pair myself for about six months. Of the last six pairs I have built for myself, one of them was in my home for 24 hours before it was sold. The others never made it that far and were sold before they were even finished. Until I have a personal pair for myself, I am certainly not interested in sending a pair out for a six-month review.

We are constantly working to increase our production capacity for this type of speaker. But even though we have made considerable progress, we still build them custom, one pair at a time. As such, we may not have spare pairs to submit to reviewers for a while.

As an alternative, for those interested in owner's experiences with these speakers, there are plenty of owner reviews and comments on our circle on audiocircle.com. In a way, these comments can be even more informative since these owners are actually living with the speakers.

And that is the latest status on reviews.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #75 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the update, Jim. I completely understand where you are coming from, though I do hope that some of the online mags will get their chance with your products (and one day, with the HT3's).

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #76 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jim,

After reading the glowing reviews on this site, I am very interested in using the Song Towers or HTS system in my new Media room which is currently in the design stage.

Can you share any spec details on the Song Surrounds?
How soon will they be available?

Also, if I choose to go the HTS system route due to size & location contraints, is there a matched Sub that you would recommend?

I appreciate your feedback.

Pete
post #77 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post

After reading the glowing reviews on this site, I am very interested in using the Song Towers or HTS system in my new Media room which is currently in the design stage.

Can you share any spec details on the Song Surrounds?
How soon will they be available?

Also, if I choose to go the HTS system route due to size & location contraints, is there a matched Sub that you would recommend?

Pete

If it helps any, I have a pair of SongTowers and I'm not far away, in Gaithersburg, MD. PM me if you want to come hear them.

As I understand it, the Song Surrounds are a 2-way speaker using the same woofer and tweeter as in the SongTower. They should be very similar to a DIY design from Dennis Murphy called the CAOW1. I also have a pair of these, that I built. I use them in another room, but they are small enough to easily move. If you come to hear the SongTowers, you can also hear these. They sound like close cousins, except for the bass low end. Jim, please correct me if I wrong about this.

Jim Salk's cabinet work will look quite a lot better on the Song Surrounds than my DIY CAOW1s look.
post #78 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post

Pete

If it helps any, I have a pair of SongTowers and I'm not far away, in Gaithersburg, MD. PM me if you want to come hear them.

R,

Thanks for the generous offer!
I will send you a PM.
Maybe we can arrange a time after the holidays.

The fact that you are offering a demo tells me you must be quite happy
with the Song Towers. Would that be a correct statement?

Would you mind sharing how you decided on the Song Towers?
What speakers did they replace? Your listening impressions, etc...?

Thanks!
Pete
post #79 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the generous offer!
I will send you a PM.
Maybe we can arrange a time after the holidays.

The fact that you are offering a demo tells me you must be quite happy
with the Song Towers. Would that be a correct statement?

Would you mind sharing how you decided on the Song Towers?
What speakers did they replace? Your listening impressions, etc...?

Pete

YES, I am quite happy with my SongTowers . I will be around through the holidays. My son was a student at UMBC, it's about a 50 minute drive from the campus to my house.

I've posted my listening impressions at another forum. Read all about it there.
post #80 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Pete

YES, I am quite happy with my SongTowers . I will be around through the holidays. My son was a student at UMBC, it's about a 50 minute drive from the campus to my house.

I've posted my listening impressions at another forum. Read all about it there.

Wow! Excellent review.

Also, the fit and finish of the Song Towers looks awesome!
Looking forward to hearing them someday.

Q> What is your impression of the Song Towers for HT duty?

Pete
post #81 of 9305 Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The Song Surrounds will be very similar to the CA0W1. But they will use a 4th order acoustic crossover to match the 4th order crossovers on the ST and SC, and the woofer will be flush mounted.
post #82 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:

What is your impression of the Song Towers for HT duty?

The SongTowers are excellent for both stereo music and 5+ channel movie sound. The midrange clarity and very wide dispersion are especially good in movies. I now use an NHT SuperCenter speaker for the center channel. It used to do better than my old JBL speakers, but the SongTowers easily outperform it. If I use only 2 channels during movies, hearing dialog from the SongTowers is no problem, even for people seated far from the center. I haven't heard the SongCenter, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't also be excellent.

I see no problem whatsoever for using them in a dedicated HT set up.
post #83 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 09:50 AM

I will echo Richard's comments..they are excellent for both music and movies. I don't have a center channel (using a phantom center) and dialog isn't a problem. I was thinking of ordering a SongCenter but now I'm not sure if I need one.
post #84 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Richard & Oldgoalie,

Thanks for the replies.

My system of B&W 602's has served me well for the past 8 or 9 years...but I'm ready to move up to better SQ.

Was all set to upgrade to B&W 683's until I happened upon Nuance's and Craigsub's Song Tower comments here at AVS.

Can't wait to hear the Song Towers in person and see what I'm missing!

Pete
post #85 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:

My system of B&W 602's has served me well for the past 8 or 9 years...but I'm ready to move up to better SQ.

Was all set to upgrade to B&W 683's until I happened upon Nuance's and Craigsub's Song Tower comments here at AVS.

Can't wait to hear the Song Towers in person and see what I'm missing!

Pete

When you come to visit, how difficult would it be for you to bring your 602s? If I remember correctly, they are 2-way vented speakers with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter. It might be more useful if you did a side-by-side listening comparison of the 602s vs. the Songtowers.

I know that Dennis Murphy is always interested in comparing his designs to the competition. (Dennis designed the SongTowers and lives about 10 or 20 miles away from me.) If you brought your 602s, I think he might be interesting in coming as well. Dennis, what do you think?

Richard
post #86 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Pete

When you come to visit, how difficult would it be for you to bring your 602s? If I remember correctly, they are 2-way vented speakers with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter. It might be more useful if you did a side-by-side listening comparison of the 602s vs. the Songtowers.

I know that Dennis Murphy is always interested in comparing his designs to the competition. (Dennis designed the SongTowers and lives about 10 or 20 miles away from me.) If you brought your 602s, I think he might be interesting in coming as well. Dennis, what do you think?

Richard

Richard,

It would be very easy for me to bring the 602's along.
A head to head competition would be alot of fun!

Wish I had a pair of Paradigms to throw in the mix...

Pete
post #87 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=ptlurking;12399581]Richard,

Howdy I would be most interested in attending the comparo. Hopefully we can work out a time when I'm not rehearsing or playing a concert. Tis the season. I should have a Paradigm center channel on hand, just to give an idea of what sound they're targeting.
post #88 of 9305 Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Howdy I would be most interested in attending the comparo. Hopefully we can work out a time when I'm not rehearsing or playing a concert. Tis the season. I should have a Paradigm center channel on hand, just to give an idea of what sound they're targeting.

Excellent.
Looking forward to soaking up some of your speaker wisdom!

Pete
post #89 of 9305 Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They don't hold a candle to the Song Tower's. Just my opinion, of course.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #90 of 9305 Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;12400737]
Quote:

Richard,

Dennis, if that is me (Paradigm), then I will get it off to you Saturday-when is the get together?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page