The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 308 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
...and a short interview of Jim Salk in The Absolute Sound.
Nuance and charmerci like this.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
"like"
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Not the most thought-provoking questions, but it's a great picture and Jim is his usual articulate self.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Any Kansas City salk owners? I am debating a change and would love to hear some salk stuff.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Email Jim Salk himself, he will try to set you up with a local demo. You can also try posting at AudioCircle, you'll get a quick response.

Anyway, I purchased my Veracity ST's sight unseen or heard, with much hesitance, since I relied on many reviews. It's hard to do that with 4k these days. However, I'm GLAD I did and do not regret my purchase at all. I have no plans to ever get rid of them, as they bring a massive grin from ear to ear every day I listen to them. They are that good.

Last edited by Cvetan1; 08-21-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post
Any Kansas City salk owners? I am debating a change and would love to hear some salk stuff.
Welcome to come hear mine - in Iowa. Also a couple pair in Omaha I believe.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
PM sent.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're in for a real treat!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Welcome to come hear mine - in Iowa. Also a couple pair in Omaha I believe.
Hey David I have heard yours before and that's the reason I am interested. I thought you sold yours a while back when you went JTR. Guessing not. I have a dedicated room with big speakers. I also have a pretty large theater in my living room as well. I am looking for something not so huge as well as a little laid back sound and also not made for extreme volumes since I just don't listen that loud upstairs. And of course I want some thing BEAUTIFUL in my living room and we all know salk fits that bill perfectly.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sounds like quite the setup! Mine is not that elaborate; my theater and listening room are combined. Salk Soundscape 12s in front for stereo listening, augmented with the SS-C in the middle and SS M7s in back + sub for 5.1. I'm quite happy with how this "compromise" works for HD movies and hi-res music!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey David I have heard yours before and that's the reason I am interested. I thought you sold yours a while back when you went JTR. Guessing not. I have a dedicated room with big speakers. I also have a pretty large theater in my living room as well. I am looking for something not so huge as well as a little laid back sound and also not made for extreme volumes since I just don't listen that loud upstairs. And of course I want some thing BEAUTIFUL in my living room and we all know salk fits that bill perfectly.
No way I'm selling my Salks for 2 channel! I have them upstairs just for 2 channel now. Maybe down the road I'll trade up for some SS8's and go for an exotic wood veneer all over. Right now I just have the black with Mexican cocobolo stringers that I love but not as pretty as some of those burls I have seen.
Nuance likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterion View Post
Sounds like quite the setup! Mine is not that elaborate; my theater and listening room are combined. Salk Soundscape 12s in front for stereo listening, augmented with the SS-C in the middle and SS M7s in back + sub for 5.1. I'm quite happy with how this "compromise" works for HD movies and hi-res music!
Enterion,

Your "compromise" for HD movies and Hi-Rez music almost exactly matches mine here in northern New Mexico, except I have 5.2 or a plus one more subwoofer. Almost the best for both worlds. Feel real fortunate to have been able to put this system together, especially with Jim's and Dennis' help.

Anyone passing through New Mexico north of Santa Fe is welcome to come see and have a listen.

David
Enterion likes this.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
When we were first asked to use black aniline dye over cherry, I had my doubts. But we have done quite a few pairs now.

Here are some pictures of the latest black over cherry speakers...

And a close-up...

Another black dye application over zebrawood...

And a close-up...

Black certainly works over these woods.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

BRM originally commissioned this pair of SoundScape 8's in tamo ash finished in a blue aniline dye.

Here is a picture...

When Doug purchased them and ordered a matching center, he decided that blue wasn't what he really wanted. He really wanted dark green in honor of the Michigan State Spartans. But then he had second thoughts. On the advice of his wife, he decided a more natural color would be better.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Doug!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

The Absolute Sound - The Interview - September 2014 Issue...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...gnature-sound/

- Jim
Eternal Velocity likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Jim,

I for one would love to hear a little bit about the process that you went through in order to transform the SS8's from blue to caramel without trashing the veneer.

BTW, beautiful job. And the black over zebrawood is still one of my favorites.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely gorgeous speakers!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Wow, those pics of the aniline over Zebrawood speakers are unbelievable I can only imagine what they look like in person.

Great call on the blue speakers, Jim.
I know you are all about customer wishes and I think, no I know, you and his wife saved the guy from his own "taste". Yikes.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 09-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jim,

I for one would love to hear a little bit about the process that you went through in order to transform the SS8's from blue to caramel without trashing the veneer.

BTW, beautiful job. And the black over zebrawood is still one of my favorites.
The original blue color was mixed into the final topcoat. So we simply sanded that off, shot more sealer and applied new topcoat with aniline dye added. It was just a matter of a lot of labor sanding the original topcoat off.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Do you guys that use your Salk speakers for Home Theater feel the Raal tweeter is the way to go or are conventional domes a better choice? I keep having a debate inside my head concerning the Raal tweeter with or without Accuton drivers. I listened to Klipsch horns and Waveguides but they cause fatigue too quickly. I built a pair of DIY Tempest but they lack any midrange or soundstage depth. Horns and Waveguides were recommended due to their high spl/db but I prefer "clarity with my vocals and a deep realistic sound stage" I once owned B&W 802D which were my favorite speaker. I also like the sound of Wilson Sasha's, Klipcsh Palladium only, Monitor Audio platinum (they use a ribbon). I have auditioned Magnepan but they were too laid back for my taste however I don't want "in your face" sound either. If I am looking at purchasing a speaker should I include the Raal ribbon or stick with a conventional dome? I know Salk offers both but leans heavily toward the Raal in most of your speakers.
So, for those Home Theater only or 80/20 split, which Salk speakers do you prefer and why? If I were to audition commercially available speakers, which brand closely resembles the Raal tweeter? My theater room is 24x16x9 and I already have 4 1000watt 15" subwoofers.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Old 09-24-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
Do you guys that use your Salk speakers for Home Theater feel the Raal tweeter is the way to go or are conventional domes a better choice? I keep having a debate inside my head concerning the Raal tweeter with or without Accuton drivers. I listened to Klipsch horns and Waveguides but they cause fatigue too quickly. I built a pair of DIY Tempest but they lack any midrange or soundstage depth. Horns and Waveguides were recommended due to their high spl/db but I prefer "clarity with my vocals and a deep realistic sound stage" I once owned B&W 802D which were my favorite speaker. I also like the sound of Wilson Sasha's, Klipcsh Palladium only, Monitor Audio platinum (they use a ribbon). I have auditioned Magnepan but they were too laid back for my taste however I don't want "in your face" sound either. If I am looking at purchasing a speaker should I include the Raal ribbon or stick with a conventional dome? I know Salk offers both but leans heavily toward the Raal in most of your speakers.
So, for those Home Theater only or 80/20 split, which Salk speakers do you prefer and why? If I were to audition commercially available speakers, which brand closely resembles the Raal tweeter? My theater room is 24x16x9 and I already have 4 1000watt 15" subwoofers.
I may be in the minority but personally I would not go with Salk speakers that are used for home theater exclusively. PM me for more details.

However if I was leaning toward Salk for a 50/50 split I would go with the SS8s.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

IMO, both the RAAL and domes that Salk uses are perfectly suitable for HT. Do you have a particular concern about using the RAAL tweeter for HT?

For music I prefer the RAAL, but for HT, it's a coin toss.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
I may be in the minority but personally I would not go with Salk speakers that are used for home theater exclusively.
Is this simply from a price perspective? I use Salk in my HT and think it's great. Ribbon tweeter center should offer clearer realistic dialog.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:20 PM

I'm not looking for fine art or nice looking furniture. I have a 130" AT screen so the speakers may never be seen. However I do want nice sound, nothing in your face loud or harsh sounding. Let's face it, most movie are dialogue with action scenes throughout. I don't like movie theaters because they just "play loud" and think it sounds good. Most the time my ears hurt within the 1st 30min. My kids agree. So, if I turn it up loud I still want it to sound real but not ear piercing. I built the seos tempest because everyone was raving about HT and how they blow away speakers costing $3k. Im not sure what people are comparing them to or if its just lip service. I'll agree they sounded better than the B&W CT7 I auditioned but they still lack a midrange. When you start to critically listen or expect to hear certain things, they are NOT there. Perhaps I am just used to the B&W 800D series which I cannot compare a $400 DIY to a $20K speaker but I could play the B&W's loud without ear fatigue and they still sounded perfect. No strain on the speakers and no ear piercing db. Maybe I am hoping the RAAL tweeter offers the same type of sound. Loud but articulate with a deep soundstage presence. Most the time a person watches a movie, they don't critically listen to sound, ie your brain is focused on the visual and less on sound. But I still want the leaves falling to sound like leaves, or a distant step or crowbar (aliens crash scene) to sound like a real crowbar and guns to have distinctive sounds. I go back and review movies I have seen with the B&W's and compare them to the Tempest and my QSC 2150 (which my home theater uses) but they don't sound as "real" and the B&W's. Yes they play loud but a lot of sound is just "sound" and not realistic.
Well I think I killed my point about realistic sound.. lol Some people are suggesting RAAL while others are suggesting JTR, Seaton, Klipsch, Waveguides, JBL, etc. Perhaps horn are popular since that is what every movie theater uses. But I don't prefer the loud in your face authentic movie theater sound.
Do you listen to reference levels with your Salk speakers? If so, what types of movies and do you critically listen for sounds that most people don't pay attention too? if so, does it reproduce the sound realistically? Can you suggest a movie and a scene, I have over 1000 movies so I can probably view the same scene to compare with my speakers.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can help...

Quote:
So I can help you on a few things here.

First the blue speakers that are now brown (and let me tell you, it looks SO much better in person it's scary) are mine. The brown is deeper and richer. The light makes them look a shade more orange than they are in person. Awesome.

As for the RAAL. I actually sold Klipsch Palladium's to move to the SS8's. While the Palladiums are quite good for a Klipsch speaker, or really any speaker (though the P37's don't play particularly low), they can suffer from a bit of brightness still, particularly the tweeter when pushed at loud levels. I do think they were better than the Diamond series from B+W, other than not playing as low though. Very articulate speakers and no honkiness at all. But I always felt that cymbals in particular really get pushed forward when pushed to high DB's. I was using a Marantz AV8801 pre-pro with them and a Butler 5150 amp. I had that same gear in making the move to the SS8's and now the SS7 center channel (which is awesome). I did have the Palladium center channel also.

Now the Salks are just as articulate, detailed and uncolored as the Palladiums, but they just aren't as bright on the high end. The Palladiums are very nice through the midrange, nothing snaps a snare drum like a klipsch IMO. BUT the Salks have 95% of that snap, and the accuton midrange is really the star of the speaker IMO. It does vocals and voices better than anything I have ever heard. It's also unreal on guitars etc. But, for a HT speaker I think you would be THRILLED with the Salks, but I would pony up for the Soundscape center also to get that midrange. It's a big center (and the SS8 center is bigger) But I can't tell you how clear and accurate voices are now from my center.

Now I did start with the Butler 5150 and Marantz with the SS8's and it was a very, very nice combo. But I had the opportunity to move to some used Classe gear (ssp-800 and ca5200) and it's unreal. It is smoother than the Marantz for sure. I would have liked to hear the Palladiums with the Classe pre-pro as it's smoother for a comparison, but the SS8's are better IMO. Play lower, and just do everything right.

They are 95% as dynamic as the Klipsch (one of the great Klipsch home theater attributes) and smoother, more accurate, play lower and I couldn't be happier. The Raal tweeters are outstanding. They play sky high but really are not bright.

I would tell you that the SS8's are revealing of your sources though. Even moreso than the Klipsch.

Now I am a 60/40 guy music to blu-rays (I love concert blu rays).

I would tell you this though as I don't hate klipsch like many. If I were doing a "budget" home theater I would likely have Klipsch at the top of my list as you don't need big power to drive them, they are dynamic and the brightness isn't quite as big of a deal in a theater. Some may prefer it.

But, if you are going to step up the pricepoint the SS8's and matching center are just fantastic. I actually still use my Klipsch THX bi-polar rears in my 5.2 theater. They are fine. I don't listen to 5 channel audio often.

Feel free to PM or post here with more questions.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Raal tweeter is the way to go or are conventional domes a better choice?
Both are great. For music I do prefer the RAAL, but overall I'd be happy with either a quality dome or RAAL - neither lacks dynamics relative to the other.

Quote:
I listened to Klipsch horns and Waveguides but they cause fatigue too quickly. I built a pair of DIY Tempest but they lack any midrange or soundstage depth.
Interesting you say that, because I've also made a pair of SEOS speakers (not a kit - my own custom design) that have excellent soundstage depth and midrange articulation. I dunno about the Tempests, of course, as they're very different in design. Fatiguing, though, they are never.

Have you tried crossfiring your tempests? It won't fix the issue of a 12" mid running into the teen frequencies, but it should change your soundstage presentation. The other things I would recommend doing would be to take away absortive treatments at first reflection points, and put them on the front wall instead.

Quote:
If I am looking at purchasing a speaker should I include the Raal ribbon or stick with a conventional dome? I know Salk offers both but leans heavily toward the Raal in most of your speakers.
I would be exaggerating if I said "I am never going back to domes ever again". But I'll say this: The RAAL as voiced by Dennis Murphy delivers a brilliant frequency presentation, and you simply can't go wrong with it. Of course, if your gut tells you "dome tweeter", I'd definitely consider getting Jim Salk to look at putting together something custom using the Transducer Lab ceramic or metal tweeters.

Quote:
I can't answer that, because comparing tweeters is kinda like comparing clutches. Each can be different, yet lead to the same results as soon as we "adjust". You really gotta take that exact clutch for a test drive, and likewise with the speaker.

Now, all things considered, do I think you'll be happy with a pair of Salks, particularily Soundscape 8s? Definitely. But those particular speakers do benefit unique placement.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 PM

I was reading about the RAAL tweeters and it shows a they distort when pushed over 90-95db? Anyone experience this while watching a movie? Do you watch movies at reference level? My theater is large 24 feet deep, I would rather turn the volume up a bit higher rather than a bit lower. I agree for music the RAAL is the champion but im not 100% sold when it comes to Home Theater. I am sure the dialogue is fantastic but what about explosions, gun shots, the fast jumps from quiet to loud during a horror movie etc. I just watched Olympus has fallen which has quite a few explosions, especially when the obelisk comes crashing down. Talk about some serious LFE, my subs were doing some major excursion and when turned up loud and my speakers sounded like they bottomed out. Since I have waveguides with CD they will just play obscenely loud, will a RAAL keep out or distort?

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I was reading about the RAAL tweeters and it shows a they distort when pushed over 90-95db? Anyone experience this while watching a movie?
The RAALs have fine dynamic range in my opinion. Perhaps less than compression drivers, but "distorting" would be an exaggeration.

Quote:
Do you watch movies at reference level?
No. With wide dispersion speakers, perceived sound level is higher (Toole's research explains that we hear reflected sound as a "reinforcement" of the direct sound). If you plan to listen at reference, you would need to pad the room down and kill reflection - which would be a total waste of all that wide dispersion. it's basically a catch-22. We want the dispersion because it gives us that wide, deep, spacious effect, but we need to kill that dispersion if we want to increase SPL (and reduce room modes in the bass). Threading that fine-line is one of the most important things in "mastering" the room/speaker interaction.

When I watch movies with wide dispersion speakers, I set the SPL to about 7-10db below reference - this gives the most comfortable dialogue levels.

On the other hand when I watch movies with narrow dispersion compression-driver" speakers, I set the SPL to about 3-6db below reference. Since both speakers have wide dispersion in the ~300hz region, that effectively means the narrow directivity speakers "seem" more dynamic - they're louder even though they don't sound as loud!

"Reference" is simply too loud for my ears either way.

My gut tells me you won't be satisfied with the RAAL for what you're aiming for simply because you're so unsure that you'll always be tentative pushing it. I reckon the best tweeter driver option for you would be something like the Beyma TPL-150h - a fine compromise between compression driver dynamics and ribbon tweeter delicacy. I'm sure Jim can help you figure something out with it (perhaps mated to the Seas W26FX002). Although I personally think you can do better from the waveguide/compression driver angle too (remember, the Tempest is a budget build!)

Last edited by Eternal Velocity; 09-24-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RAAL in Soundscape 8's

I have the Soundscape 8's, about 50/50 music/HT. If you have an AT screen, then you may be paying for a feature you don't need: the finish is top-notch, it would a bummer to not see them.

Dennis can chime in on his crossover considerations, but I believe your ears would explode before you noticed any distress in the Soundscapes. Any driver can distort, but I think the RAAL 70-20 is crossed high enough to avoid this. A smaller ribbon crossed lower could be a problem.

The RAAL has limited vertical dispersion which is good for avoiding ceiling reflections, but could be a challenge if you have tiered seating. The Accuton is the most detailed mid-driver I've ever heard, and the option for the open back/semi open back/closed back is very nice. Right now I have it semi-open and it adds a sense of depth to the presentation. The bass is tight and deep on the SS8s, I can watch Tron Legacy in 2.0 and not miss my SVS SB13.

The biggest downside to me is that they are revealing of your source, and most everything I listen to is junk. For the quality of the drivers, quality of the crossover design and components, and the fit/finish, it's a great speaker and great value, IMO.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive54950 View Post
I have the Soundscape 8's, about 50/50 music/HT. If you have an AT screen, then you may be paying for a feature you don't need: the finish is top-notch, it would a bummer to not see them.

Dennis can chime in on his crossover considerations, but I believe your ears would explode before you noticed any distress in the Soundscapes. Any driver can distort, but I think the RAAL 70-20 is crossed high enough to avoid this. A smaller ribbon crossed lower could be a problem.

The RAAL has limited vertical dispersion which is good for avoiding ceiling reflections, but could be a challenge if you have tiered seating. The Accuton is the most detailed mid-driver I've ever heard, and the option for the open back/semi open back/closed back is very nice. Right now I have it semi-open and it adds a sense of depth to the presentation. The bass is tight and deep on the SS8s, I can watch Tron Legacy in 2.0 and not miss my SVS SB13.

The biggest downside to me is that they are revealing of your source, and most everything I listen to is junk. For the quality of the drivers, quality of the crossover design and components, and the fit/finish, it's a great speaker and great value, IMO.
+1

I definately gave out before any of the drivers in my HT2-TL did when watching dynamic movies (the HT2-TLs were crossed over to a SVS sub).