The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #9331 of 9348 Old 11-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Member
 
rubbersoul662001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks repete...I will read about the Exotica's today.

B&W 804S,HTM3S,DS7,
Mitsubishi HC6800
Outlaw 990/7700,Emotiva XPA1 x2,Oppo93, Sony777
Furman Elite Comcast,
Monster,Audio8,BJC,Legend Audio,Tributaries power cord,
Da Lite screen 105" diagonal, Cisco Hub
JL Audio Fathom 110, 113,Chordette,,Bryston BDA1 DAC,
rubbersoul662001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9332 of 9348 Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul662001 View Post
Thanks repete...I will read about the Exotica's today.
I have no personal experience with them but I have faith in what Jim and Dennis do. If you have any questions feel free to contact Jim directly. He's a busy guy, but he'll tell you exactly what you need to know.

repete66211 is offline  
post #9333 of 9348 Old 11-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
laulau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: HI, USA
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Salk Exotica 3 and Van Alstine at RMAF 2014 - coverage by The Audio Traveler


I'd love to listen to this combo someday...

...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
laulau is offline  
post #9334 of 9348 Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oakland, MI
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Audioholics.com includes Silk Monitors in "Best Loudspeakers in the World."

Here's a link...

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...speakers-world

- Jim
funkmonkey likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
jsalk is offline  
post #9335 of 9348 Old 11-13-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Woohoo! Congratulations Jim!
repete66211 is offline  
post #9336 of 9348 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just picked up my HTL2-TL's from Jim yesterday with the matching HTC2 center channel.

We really have not spent enough time listening but what has impressed us both is the finish quality. I did Zebra Wood with black and I don't have pics because its hard to capture the quality of the work in pictures.

I took a bunch and without good lights you'll never get it. In fact I was surprised by how large they were because in the pictures its hard to judge.

I think we like to look at them more than listen to them

What impresses me is I have no patience. So to know someone did this finish work by hand, and does it, over and over and over again with the same level of quality is very impressive to me. A lot of dedication and hard work went into the set.

I can tell I need a bigger amp to get really want I need out of them, just trying to drive them with a Yamaha RX-A 2040. Ordered all new cables and will try bi-amping to see if that helps until I decide on an amp.

I did listen to these before I bought them but honestly its not the best listening environment. I went based on reviews of others, their high resale value, and the workmanship. You always wonder when dropping this kind of money if there is going to be any buyers remorse but none here.

Thanks to Jim and his staff.
Eric_Connelly is online now  
post #9337 of 9348 Unread 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Awesome Eric! Please post some pics and welcome to the Salk club.
dlbeck is online now  
post #9338 of 9348 Unread 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
laulau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: HI, USA
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
I just picked up my HTL2-TL's from Jim yesterday with the matching HTC2 center channel.

We really have not spent enough time listening but what has impressed us both is the finish quality. I did Zebra Wood with black and I don't have pics because its hard to capture the quality of the work in pictures.

I took a bunch and without good lights you'll never get it. In fact I was surprised by how large they were because in the pictures its hard to judge.

I think we like to look at them more than listen to them

What impresses me is I have no patience. So to know someone did this finish work by hand, and does it, over and over and over again with the same level of quality is very impressive to me. A lot of dedication and hard work went into the set.

I can tell I need a bigger amp to get really want I need out of them, just trying to drive them with a Yamaha RX-A 2040. Ordered all new cables and will try bi-amping to see if that helps until I decide on an amp.

I did listen to these before I bought them but honestly its not the best listening environment. I went based on reviews of others, their high resale value, and the workmanship. You always wonder when dropping this kind of money if there is going to be any buyers remorse but none here.

Thanks to Jim and his staff.
Congrats on your new speakers. I've always favored those black zebrawood finishes. Do yours look like the ones at the bottom of this post?

Curious as to what symptoms are leading you to believe you need a bigger amp, that's a pretty decent receiver that you're driving them with.

You're pretty lucky that you were able to listen yours beforehand. I would imagine most of us have purchases based on the faith we have in our own research. But like you said, Jim and company do fantastic work, I couldn't be happier with mine.

...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
laulau is offline  
post #9339 of 9348 Unread 12-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
Congrats on your new speakers. I've always favored those black zebrawood finishes. Do yours look like the ones at the bottom of this post?

Curious as to what symptoms are leading you to believe you need a bigger amp, that's a pretty decent receiver that you're driving them with.

You're pretty lucky that you were able to listen yours beforehand. I would imagine most of us have purchases based on the faith we have in our own research. But like you said, Jim and company do fantastic work, I couldn't be happier with mine.
Yes they are identical to that. As far as the amp...I listened to them at Jim's place and they had a lot of mid range clarity in the voice even around other music accompanying it. When things get busy in the music and the voice suffers a bit. I heard them with an Emotiva XPA5 which has double the wattage as the Yamaha and AVR's are always overrated.

I was looking at a Parasound A31 but one of my employee's cousin is a manager over at JBL and I can get family pricing on a Lexicon RX-7 which if the price is as good as I hear it will be most likely what I will go with.

That and I have been very busy and not just time to sit down and play with them. The 2040 is brand new, hasn't even run through room correction yet.

I'm working on some macro pics that will show the detail work. Lighting in our lower level is horrible, need to move a few lights down there and I'll get some better pics. Even with diffused photo lighting I still can't get anything below 3200ISO the way I want it.
Eric_Connelly is online now  
post #9340 of 9348 Unread 12-24-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I look forward to the pics. The Salk speakers sound great, but as a fan of natural wood decor, it's really exciting seeing what Jim manages to create.

Parasound and Lexicon make nice amps. I'm not sure what the RX-7 goes for but I believe it's the same amp as the ATI 2007, so that model is an option if you're interested in saving a few bucks.

repete66211 is offline  
post #9341 of 9348 Unread 12-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Member
 
robcentola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Welcome to the Salk rabbit-hole.

Looking forward to some pics too!
robcentola is offline  
post #9342 of 9348 Unread 12-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcentola View Post
Welcome to the Salk rabbit-hole.

Looking forward to some pics too!
That is a good way to look at it. Before Jim had even started to wrap them up I was asking what the next step up was.

I spent my afternoon with them. Got some decent 12 gauge wire, re-wired everything. Measured wrong and was short on making 2 sets for bi-amping so I'll fix that on Friday.

Ran YPAO on them today too. My original comment about the voice lacking in certain area's must have been the particular track. It was a 96/24 track from HD Tracks and maybe it was just poor mixing, it was one of the first things I listened to.

Ran through a few other DVD-A's, SACD's, and Blu Ray's and very happy overall. I've always liked multi channel music and these are the first set of speakers I've really enjoyed just 2 channel on.

I turned my sub's off and took them out and with music you do not miss them at all.

A dedicated theatre/listening room is what has to come next. I have them probably in the worst spot possible, set back in a cubby next to the TV. We're shopping for a new house now and something setup for music is top of the list.
Eric_Connelly is online now  
post #9343 of 9348 Unread 12-24-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yamaha RX-A 2040 is 70w @ 8 ohm? That is if the rating is even accurate. I reckon you need something at least 100w@8 with damping factor rating 100+ to drive those Veracities. If I may recommend upgrading to a Pioneer new class d receiver.

Last edited by Veda; 12-24-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Veda is offline  
post #9344 of 9348 Unread 12-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Yamaha RX-A 2040 is 70w @ 8 ohm? That is if the rating is even accurate. I reckon you need something at least 100w@8 with damping factor rating 100+ to drive those Veracities. If I may recommend upgrading to a Pioneer new class d receiver.
It's a bit higher than that, from Yamaha's site:

Amplifier Section Channel 9.2
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 155 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 140 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 165 / 210 / 285 / 405 W


But for some reason when I put it the amp in 5 channel mode I get no audio at all, so something is up with it. Only works in 7/9 channel mode and I cannot find if that affects power output or not.
Eric_Connelly is online now  
post #9345 of 9348 Unread 12-25-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
I heard them with an Emotiva XPA5 which has double the wattage as the Yamaha and AVR's are always overrated.
You are on the mark about most AVRs. But Audioholics frequently bench tests Yamaha receivers and they always are under-spec'ed. I haven't checked your particular model, but at a spec of 140 w/c, I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting 150+ actual watts, both channels driven in stereo mode.

Enjoy your wonderful new speakers, Eric. They're really quite lovely.

And Merry Christmas.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #9346 of 9348 Unread 12-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
You are on the mark about most AVRs. But Audioholics frequently bench tests Yamaha receivers and they always are under-spec'ed. I haven't checked your particular model, but at a spec of 140 w/c, I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting 150+ actual watts, both channels driven in stereo mode.

Enjoy your wonderful new speakers, Eric. They're really quite lovely.

And Merry Christmas.
Thanks, Merry Christmas to you.

I figured out the 5 channel amp part. On my old Yamaha you chose 5 or 7 channels and that changes the amp configuration from just that, 5 to 7 but all driven by the AVR. Now in the new model when its in 5 channel mode it expects the fronts to be driven by an amp, hence no sound.

The more I spend with them the more I really enjoy them. It's my one morning of the year I can be assured the phone will not ring from a customer so got to spend a lot more time with them.

The biggest thing I can say about them is their low volume playback. Part of the reason I wanted an amp is to help drive lower volume sound quality.

I wanted to move into a much higher quality speaker for that reason. I have mild to moderate tinnitus in my left ear. It's mostly mild but certain things(congestion, alcohol, etc) made it moderate and in some cases severe. So it was important for me to find a speaker that played at lower volumes and did not lose detail or was not as enjoyable as it would be at louder volumes.

I never listen to anything over 85db due to this and I tend to stick around 80 because something is bound to spike over 85. The lack of needing a sub is a huge bonus to me because those usually spike well over 95db even when playing at lower volumes.

I can set these to a decent volume, they blend into the background and I'm not missing any detail.
Eric_Connelly is online now  
post #9347 of 9348 Unread Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil Tomaskovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Warrenville, Il
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
Thanks, Merry Christmas to you.

I figured out the 5 channel amp part. On my old Yamaha you chose 5 or 7 channels and that changes the amp configuration from just that, 5 to 7 but all driven by the AVR. Now in the new model when its in 5 channel mode it expects the fronts to be driven by an amp, hence no sound.

The more I spend with them the more I really enjoy them. It's my one morning of the year I can be assured the phone will not ring from a customer so got to spend a lot more time with them.

The biggest thing I can say about them is their low volume playback. Part of the reason I wanted an amp is to help drive lower volume sound quality.

I wanted to move into a much higher quality speaker for that reason. I have mild to moderate tinnitus in my left ear. It's mostly mild but certain things(congestion, alcohol, etc) made it moderate and in some cases severe. So it was important for me to find a speaker that played at lower volumes and did not lose detail or was not as enjoyable as it would be at louder volumes.

I never listen to anything over 85db due to this and I tend to stick around 80 because something is bound to spike over 85. The lack of needing a sub is a huge bonus to me because those usually spike well over 95db even when playing at lower volumes.

I can set these to a decent volume, they blend into the background and I'm not missing any detail.
That seems very strange
about an AVR wanting a separate amp for the fronts if in 5 channel mode? But you get sound in 7 channel? Did you say you were trying to bi-amp? Is that enabled in the AVR and the pairs of wires connected to the right terminals on the receiver? Usually the front and the rear surround terminals.

Phil Tomaskovic
Phil Tomaskovic is online now  
post #9348 of 9348 Unread Today, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
That seems very strange
about an AVR wanting a separate amp for the fronts if in 5 channel mode? But you get sound in 7 channel? Did you say you were trying to bi-amp? Is that enabled in the AVR and the pairs of wires connected to the right terminals on the receiver? Usually the front and the rear surround terminals.
Yep when you put it in 5 channel mode it changes it to External Amp Front which is strange because the way it looks it says 5CH + Front, see attached.

After seeing up the Bi-Amping they sound fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141227_155918_resized.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	444482  
Eric_Connelly is online now  
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off