The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 313 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #9361 of 9373 Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post
If I am able to pick these up I will run a sub. Reading has led me to believe a sub is the best way to go for the HT3 and lower speakers. Just my opinion though on what I have read.
My guess would be that the HT3 would give you more flexible crossover frequency options to the sub without muddling the midrange since the HT3 is a 3 way.

If price and form factor aren't an issue, I'd probably go with the HT3.

BTW, I'm a big fan of using a sub for music and movies.
flashman03 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9373 Old 01-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll have to see how things pan out. I'm really thinking this is the way I'll go. Started reading about the JTR noesis 212ht and that is a compelling speaker. I do like the Salk look though and that is important for me in a non-dedicated ht.
post #9363 of 9373 Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I'll have to see how things pan out. I'm really thinking this is the way I'll go. Started reading about the JTR noesis 212ht and that is a compelling speaker. I do like the Salk look though and that is important for me in a non-dedicated ht.
Great HT and Music speakers are most often very different. Different sound character and priorities.
post #9364 of 9373 Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Great HT and Music speakers are most often very different. Different sound character and priorities.
I do not disagree. I just have to figure out if I want something that is fairly capable in both or just go for HT speakers.
Veda likes this.
post #9365 of 9373 Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
SS8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Well, I like dynamics and a larger sounding speaker for music and home theater and I can tell you this.

The SS8's excel at both and my SS7 center channel is phenomenal.

I've not once even considered making a change since I bought my used SS8's. For me, to not even consider making any change is a small miracle.
post #9366 of 9373 Old 01-06-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
Well, I like dynamics and a larger sounding speaker for music and home theater and I can tell you this.

The SS8's excel at both and my SS7 center channel is phenomenal.

I've not once even considered making a change since I bought my used SS8's. For me, to not even consider making any change is a small miracle.
We have a fullset KEF R900 HT system which I regretted getting. For HT you want something ultra efficient for that real theaterlike impact. It doesn't even have to be accurate. Just efficient, low distortion, and loud.
post #9367 of 9373 Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
Finally got the tripod out and took some pics.

The originals are here:

http://ericptek.smugmug.com under Salk HT2-TL's. They look much better off the site than linked.

I'm going to get a Macro lens and work on some better pics. I need to get the head on my tripod fixed, could not get it to lock in place.

Ignore the horrible placement, limitation of the house for right now.

Wow! I'm a fan! I really love the veneer combination that I chose, but if I were shopping today, these would be in serious contention.
screener likes this.

Samsung F8500 64", Marantz SR7008, Parasound Halo P5, Emotiva XPA-5, Salk Veracity STs, Salk Supercharged Song Center, Rythmik F12 SE subwoofers, NHT SuperOne surrounds
post #9368 of 9373 Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
If I am able to pick these up I will run a sub. Reading has led me to believe a sub is the best way to go for the HT3 and lower speakers. Just my opinion though on what I have read.
It all depends on how low you want the system to play. The HT3's play solidly down to 29Hz. This is sufficient for most music as most traditional musical instruments do not play any lower than this. However, if home theater is in the mix, then subs make a lot of sense. But in that case, you don't really need the extra extension of the HT3's. Crossing HT2-TL's to a sub and relieving them of some deep bass duties will not only keep the midrange clean, but you have two mid-woofers sharing the load for improved power handling. In addition, you gain about 4db in efficiency (each 3db is roughly equivalent to a doubling or halving of power requirements). So for many, this will make more sense.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9369 of 9373 Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Chris was looking for his dream speaker and settled on the Exotica 3's. We searched for just the right veneer and came up with some nice Mexican ziricote.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim
flashman03 likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 01-16-2015 at 10:28 AM.
post #9370 of 9373 Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Jim,

Will you be going to T.H.E. Show Newport this year? I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the Exoticas again.

thanks

Last edited by yyz67; 01-19-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #9371 of 9373 Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz67 View Post
Hi Jim,

Will you be going to T.H.E. Show Newport this year? I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the Exoticas again.

thanks
We will not be attending Newport this year. The cost, both in terms of money and time away from the shop to attend a show this far away from MI is an issue. We may adjust our show schedule this coming year so that we can attend this show next year.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9372 of 9373 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Chris was looking for his dream speaker and settled on the Exotica 3's. We searched for just the right veneer and came up with some nice Mexican ziricote.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim
Jim,
Nobody builds a more beautiful speaker than you Jim. My wife and I sat one night and looked through your veneer gallery of the HT3 and we were both amazed. I hope this is the year I place my order.
post #9373 of 9373 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Jim,
Nobody builds a more beautiful speaker than you Jim. My wife and I sat one night and looked through your veneer gallery of the HT3 and we were both amazed. I hope this is the year I place my order.
I didn't know you are a Salk fan Dave? Awesome! Some day I will sell my HT2-TLs and buy some SS8's. Lots of pennies to save.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page