The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 313 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #9361 of 9384 Old 01-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll have to see how things pan out. I'm really thinking this is the way I'll go. Started reading about the JTR noesis 212ht and that is a compelling speaker. I do like the Salk look though and that is important for me in a non-dedicated ht.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9384 Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post
I'll have to see how things pan out. I'm really thinking this is the way I'll go. Started reading about the JTR noesis 212ht and that is a compelling speaker. I do like the Salk look though and that is important for me in a non-dedicated ht.
Great HT and Music speakers are most often very different. Different sound character and priorities.
post #9363 of 9384 Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Great HT and Music speakers are most often very different. Different sound character and priorities.
I do not disagree. I just have to figure out if I want something that is fairly capable in both or just go for HT speakers.
Veda likes this.
post #9364 of 9384 Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
SS8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Well, I like dynamics and a larger sounding speaker for music and home theater and I can tell you this.

The SS8's excel at both and my SS7 center channel is phenomenal.

I've not once even considered making a change since I bought my used SS8's. For me, to not even consider making any change is a small miracle.
post #9365 of 9384 Old 01-06-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
Well, I like dynamics and a larger sounding speaker for music and home theater and I can tell you this.

The SS8's excel at both and my SS7 center channel is phenomenal.

I've not once even considered making a change since I bought my used SS8's. For me, to not even consider making any change is a small miracle.
We have a fullset KEF R900 HT system which I regretted getting. For HT you want something ultra efficient for that real theaterlike impact. It doesn't even have to be accurate. Just efficient, low distortion, and loud.
post #9366 of 9384 Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
Finally got the tripod out and took some pics.

The originals are here:

http://ericptek.smugmug.com under Salk HT2-TL's. They look much better off the site than linked.

I'm going to get a Macro lens and work on some better pics. I need to get the head on my tripod fixed, could not get it to lock in place.

Ignore the horrible placement, limitation of the house for right now.

Wow! I'm a fan! I really love the veneer combination that I chose, but if I were shopping today, these would be in serious contention.
screener likes this.

Samsung F8500 64", Marantz SR7008, Parasound Halo P5, Emotiva XPA-5, Salk Veracity STs, Salk Supercharged Song Center, Rythmik F12 SE subwoofers, NHT SuperOne surrounds
post #9367 of 9384 Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post
If I am able to pick these up I will run a sub. Reading has led me to believe a sub is the best way to go for the HT3 and lower speakers. Just my opinion though on what I have read.
It all depends on how low you want the system to play. The HT3's play solidly down to 29Hz. This is sufficient for most music as most traditional musical instruments do not play any lower than this. However, if home theater is in the mix, then subs make a lot of sense. But in that case, you don't really need the extra extension of the HT3's. Crossing HT2-TL's to a sub and relieving them of some deep bass duties will not only keep the midrange clean, but you have two mid-woofers sharing the load for improved power handling. In addition, you gain about 4db in efficiency (each 3db is roughly equivalent to a doubling or halving of power requirements). So for many, this will make more sense.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9368 of 9384 Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Chris was looking for his dream speaker and settled on the Exotica 3's. We searched for just the right veneer and came up with some nice Mexican ziricote.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim
flashman03 likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 01-16-2015 at 10:28 AM.
post #9369 of 9384 Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Jim,

Will you be going to T.H.E. Show Newport this year? I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the Exoticas again.

thanks

Last edited by yyz67; 01-19-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #9370 of 9384 Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz67 View Post
Hi Jim,

Will you be going to T.H.E. Show Newport this year? I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the Exoticas again.

thanks
We will not be attending Newport this year. The cost, both in terms of money and time away from the shop to attend a show this far away from MI is an issue. We may adjust our show schedule this coming year so that we can attend this show next year.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9371 of 9384 Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Chris was looking for his dream speaker and settled on the Exotica 3's. We searched for just the right veneer and came up with some nice Mexican ziricote.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Chris!

- Jim
Jim,
Nobody builds a more beautiful speaker than you Jim. My wife and I sat one night and looked through your veneer gallery of the HT3 and we were both amazed. I hope this is the year I place my order.
post #9372 of 9384 Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Jim,
Nobody builds a more beautiful speaker than you Jim. My wife and I sat one night and looked through your veneer gallery of the HT3 and we were both amazed. I hope this is the year I place my order.
I didn't know you are a Salk fan Dave? Awesome! Some day I will sell my HT2-TLs and buy some SS8's. Lots of pennies to save.
post #9373 of 9384 Unread 02-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Over the years, we've often been asked why we didn't produce this type of speaker or that. Of course, in each case, there are reasons.

There is a school of thought that says home theater speakers must use high-sensitivity "pro" drivers for increased "slam" and "dynamics." While I may not completely agree, I fully understand the concept. The problem is, up until now we have never run across a driver that would result in a speaker we would put our name on.

The challenges with these "Pro" drivers are three-fold.
1) They typically require very large cabinets in comparison to cutting edge drivers being developed today.
2) The frequency response of many of these drivers is dreadful. FR plots tend to look like outlines of the Rocky Mountains.
3) They are relatively lacking in bass extension.

That last item is probably not a major issue for a home theater application in that subwoofers can easily take up the slack. And high-efficiency drivers do have some advantages. They take relatively little power to drive and they do offer that elusive "slam" that people find appealing in home theater applications.

Of course, we never want to close the door on any type of speaker a customer might want. So we are always on the lookout for drivers that might be workable for a given application.

We recently ran across a 96db sensitive coax speaker that showed promise. It is available with either an aluminum tweeter or a beryllium tweeter, the latter being about twice as expensive as the former. So we thought we'd give it a shot and here are the results...

Dennis Murphy did his usual stellar job creating a crossover for the driver. In the process, he commented, "It's extremely clean and focused. It's the first compression tweeter coax system I've heard that I actually liked. I'm not hearing any horn-type coloration, and there's lots of midrange detail."

The cabinet we designed for these was done in a "golden ratio" format. They are 27.5"H x 17"W x 12"D and weigh in at 71 pounds each. The sensitivity is about 95db and the F3 is about 47Hz.

This is obviously a niche product normally used in a dedicated home theater behind an acoustically transparent screen. But if there is some demand for it, we could certainly offer it as a standard product. In that case, we would need to work up pricing and we'd obviously need a name for them.

Comments/name ideas?

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9374 of 9384 Unread 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
71 pounds each?! You could call them the Salk Car Battery.

Or at 95dB they could be the Salk Sensitive line.

Great job as always Jim.

Last edited by repete66211; 02-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #9375 of 9384 Unread 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The cabinet we designed for these was done in a "golden ratio" format. They are 27.5"H x 17"W x 12"D and weigh in at 71 pounds each. The sensitivity is about 95db and the F3 is about 47Hz.

Comments/name ideas?

- Jim
Hi Jim,

What does the FR look like (if you are willing to share or comment on)?

Possible names (not very serious):
- HE Monolith (a la 2001 A Space Odyssey)
- The Phi (phi=sqrt(5)~1.618 used in the golden ratio)
- 161s
- Golds
post #9376 of 9384 Unread 02-13-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Jim,

Any more details on the drivers used? How would this compare with DIY Sound Group Coaxial Volts?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits.html
post #9377 of 9384 Unread 02-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Salk WOW1's Desktop Picture

Here's a picture of my Salk WOW1's for my desktop/nearfield setup. (GIK acoustic panels behind and to right of monitor shown, Rythmic F12 subwoofer is to the right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SalkDeskSetup_DSC3991.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	546849  
post #9378 of 9384 Unread 02-15-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
We recently ran across a 96db sensitive coax speaker that showed promise. It is available with either an aluminum tweeter or a beryllium tweeter, the latter being about twice as expensive as the former. So we thought we'd give it a shot and here are the results...
Very interesting, is this a 12" driver? Do you have a rough idea on pricing?
post #9379 of 9384 Unread Today, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post
I have a pair of Songtowers that are rear ported. About 18" from wall. Is anyone closing off the rear port and what materials are available to use? Could experimenting damage the speakers?
Don't close off the rear port. You won't damage the speakers, but you will loose out on their good low frequency performance.

Is that 18" between the rear of your speakers and the wall, or 18" between the front of your speakers and the wall?

I've experimented with mine (also rear ported) and I found that even with the rear of the speakers as close to the wall as the plinth allows (roughly 3") the bass sound didn't suffer or become exaggerated. Try it , and see for yourself.
post #9380 of 9384 Unread Today, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz67 View Post
Hi Jim,

What does the FR look like (if you are willing to share or comment on)?
The FR plots on pro drivers never look very good. It is just the nature of the beast. In fact, pro driver manufacturers don't often post plots and when they do, they smooth the response a great deal.

I am out of town until next week. I'll try and post an FR plot then.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9381 of 9384 Unread Today, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post
Jim,

Any more details on the drivers used? How would this compare with DIY Sound Group Coaxial Volts?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits.html
These are 12" drivers with 2" coax tweeters. The tweeters are available with aluminum and beryllium (very expensive) cones. Obviously, the break-up mode for the beryllium cones is at much higher frequencies (well beyond audibility). But I'm not sure that is all that important in this application.

I have never worked with the Coaxial Volts, so I can't say. I can say that these drivers are 5 - 10 times more expensive and represent the state of the art for this type of driver. So I would expect that the sound quality for these drivers would be orders of magnitude better. It is the first driver of this type that I found I could actually live with personally.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9382 of 9384 Unread Today, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
Very interesting, is this a 12" driver? Do you have a rough idea on pricing?
Yes, as 12" driver. I don't have any pricing yet and will be out of the office for the next week. I will try and get some numbers together when I return.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9383 of 9384 Unread Today, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Don't close off the rear port. You won't damage the speakers, but you will loose out on their good low frequency performance.

Is that 18" between the rear of your speakers and the wall, or 18" between the front of your speakers and the wall?

I've experimented with mine (also rear ported) and I found that even with the rear of the speakers as close to the wall as the plinth allows (roughly 3") the bass sound didn't suffer or become exaggerated. Try it , and see for yourself.

They are 18" from the back of the speaker. I'll start moving them closer to the wall.
post #9384 of 9384 Unread Today, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 340
"SongPro"?
"ScreenPro"?
"BlackSound"?
"Butt-ugly-but-behind-a-screen (BUBBAS)"?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers