The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 316 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #9451 of 9463 Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Is anyone out there going to Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday in case anyone wants to meet up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
I'm going!

- Jim

I wish! This weekend is a very busy one for my kids, specifically my son. I wish you both the best, though. I'll be following the coverage. Which speakers are you bringing (if any)?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9463 Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
I wish! This weekend is a very busy one for my kids, specifically my son. I wish you both the best, though. I'll be following the coverage. Which speakers are you bringing (if any)?
Brandon! It's so good to hear from you again. The kids must be in college by now.

Let me put my voice in with others and say that I hope all is going well for you and yours. And yeah....stick around for a bit. We'll share war stories or some such.....
Nuance likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9453 of 9463 Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
We have a friend who shall remain unnamed (Pete didn't want me to indicate these were his new Exoticas). While we were in the process of designing the Exotica 3's, he had plenty of time to explore design ideas. So he designed a rather novel set of cabinets and turned the project over to us to execute.

He wanted separate cabinets for the woofer section and the midrange/tweeter section. He wanted textured copper on the front baffles and had a sheet of raw textured copper sent to us. He specified everything down to the outriggers, feet, binding posts, etc.

While it may look simple, this was probably one of the most complicated builds we had ever done. Working with the copper was very tricky, so we had to work slow.

Here are the results...

Here's a side shot...

And a shot from the rear...

On Friday (Halloween), Pete and Brenda showed up with cases Pete had built for the tops, bottoms and outriggers - each appropriately sized and labeled.

While this pair required a lot of extra labor and we wouldn't necessarily want to duplicate again, it was fun to see if we could turn Pete's dream into reality.

Happy listening (name withheld upon request)...

- Jim
Thanks for the kudos Jim. Great job by the team! The speakers are being fed the best I can do right now and are amazing.
post #9454 of 9463 Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Is anyone out there going to Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday in case anyone wants to meet up.
I would really like to attend the Axpona Show! Chicago is just a short ways down 94.
This Show might be my best opportunity to hear Salk speakers for the first time.
Jeff
post #9455 of 9463 Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in the D View Post
I would really like to attend the Axpona Show! Chicago is just a short ways down 94.
This Show might be my best opportunity to hear Salk speakers for the first time.
Jeff
Jeff, you should go. The small rooms are not great, but at lower levels you can quickly decide which tickles your fancy more. I'm in Kzoo now so only a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'm going Friday AM.

Chicago show is getting bigger every year.
post #9456 of 9463 Old Today, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Some of the best things in life can result from less-than-ideal circumstances.

A customer recently ordered a pair of WOW1's to match his furniture. He sent some pictures and it was to be an easy match - burled maple with an orange/brown dye.

About two weeks after we took the order, I noticed a pair of WOW1's in quilted maple getting ready to proceed to the finishing line. I didn't recall taking an order for that combination recently, so I asked the guys what that pair was. It turned out to be the pair that was supposed to be veneered in burled maple. Since they were already veneered and it was impractical to re-veneer them, I told them to go ahead and build a new pair with the correct veneer.

But since we had this pair, I told the guys to finish them in our double-dye process which involves spraying them completely in black dye and then sanding off the black. Where the wood is hard, the black sands off easily. Where it is soft, some of the black remains. Later, when you spray color, the contrast is much greater than if you had not sprayed the black initially. It is a really nice effect.

About a week and half later Robert, our sander, came to me and asked if the cabinet he was working on was right. It was burled maple, but it had a lot of grays and blacks in it. I asked him what it was. He said he had sprayed it black just like the other pair.

Well, realizing it would be impossible to sand all of the black out, I told them to go ahead a build a third pair...this time with the right veneer and no black (which they did). But as I looked at that particular pair, it seemed as if they might look pretty nice if finished. So I told them to go ahead and finish those anyway.

The results were some of the nicest looking speakers we have ever done. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I fell in love with that finish and immediately ordered another batch of maple burl to do a set of floor-standing speakers in that finish. I just have to decide which model to build.

Here are some pictures...

And a shot showing the side panel...

I like these so much, I haven't decided if I will sell them or keep them.

- Jim
newfmp3 and Nuance like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9457 of 9463 Old Today, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Wow! Absolutely spectacular. If I ever have the good fortune of being able to upgrade my ST's, this is the finish I want.

Jim, you've outdone yourself this time.

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurrounds ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S amp ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; Blue Jeans Cables; Schiit Valhalla ; Sennheiser HD600 ; Schiit Fulla ; RHA MA750 IEMs ; Audio Technica ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1 Display Pro 3 & i1 Pro2
post #9458 of 9463 Old Today, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 413
So does salk have a showroom setup somewhere in order for folks to demo? Do folks just arbtrarily order a model + finish?

What is the general concept of this company and whatnot? Just trying to get a simple concept of their business without reading a 1000 thread pages...
post #9459 of 9463 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 268
No showroom. Jim does several audio shows per year but most potential customers contact current customers for a demo. You can contact Jim or post your city/state and find out what models are near you. You can also visit the Salk thread on Audiocircle which has an owners thread where they post models by city/state. Amazing speakers. Good luck on your journey.
post #9460 of 9463 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 268
post #9461 of 9463 Old Today, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
So does salk have a showroom setup somewhere in order for folks to demo? Do folks just arbtrarily order a model + finish?

What is the general concept of this company and whatnot? Just trying to get a simple concept of their business without reading a 1000 thread pages...
Like many ID (Internet Direct) companies Salk Sound rely on word of mouth via the internet. I've read so many good reviews from individuals and a few professional reviews with nary a negative word that I decided to buy a pair of the song towers. I was fortunate in finding a used pair for sale at a great price and since I'm retired AND a cheap retired bastard at that I bought them sight unseen/unheard. They are 4 years old but sound and look brand new. One tower had to make a detour to Salk for a corner repair which looks great after the fix. The fireburst curly cherry is one awesome looking speaker that just happens to sound as good as it looks.

Normally I would recommend anyone shopping for speakers to audition them but you can't with these. Unless you find someone near you willing to give you a listen to their speakers. What continues to astound me is the bass these 5" drivers are able to reproduce. Subs have never sounded natural to me and then there is that nasty distortion that many subs produce. Not so with the ST's - I can almost see the vibrations of the cello as the bow is drawn across the strings. I certainly can feel it!

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9462 of 9463 Old Today, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Like many ID (Internet Direct) companies Salk Sound rely on word of mouth via the internet. I've read so many good reviews from individuals and a few professional reviews with nary a negative word that I decided to buy a pair of the song towers. I was fortunate in finding a used pair for sale at a great price and since I'm retired AND a cheap retired bastard at that I bought them sight unseen/unheard. They are 4 years old but sound and look brand new. One tower had to make a detour to Salk for a corner repair which looks great after the fix. The fireburst curly cherry is one awesome looking speaker that just happens to sound as good as it looks.

Normally I would recommend anyone shopping for speakers to audition them but you can't with these. Unless you find someone near you willing to give you a listen to their speakers. What continues to astound me is the bass these 5" drivers are able to reproduce. Subs have never sounded natural to me and then there is that nasty distortion that many subs produce. Not so with the ST's - I can almost see the vibrations of the cello as the bow is drawn across the strings. I certainly can feel it!
I would point you to my project of 4 DIY corner subwoofers with dual 15" drivers. Powered with seemingly limitless 2500 watts per channel... they sound nothing short of epic and are very reasonable to produce in your garage. Anyone who hasn't heard subs done "right", usually have spent too much time with smaller subs and insufficient number of subwoofer locations. As an example, no store demo that I have ever heard has gotten subwoofers setup correctly.

I shudder and weep now every time someone says they can't get subs to sound natural. It can most definitely be done!

Blazar!
post #9463 of 9463 Old Today, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I would point you to my project of 4 DIY corner subwoofers with dual 15" drivers. Powered with seemingly limitless 2500 watts per channel... they sound nothing short of epic and are very reasonable to produce in your garage. Anyone who hasn't heard subs done "right", usually have spent too much time with smaller subs and insufficient number of subwoofer locations. As an example, no store demo that I have ever heard has gotten subwoofers setup correctly.

I shudder and weep now every time someone says they can't get subs to sound natural. It can most definitely be done!
I certainly didn't mean to cause you to weep!

We may be talking apples and oranges here - my focus is 2 channel. I don't need 4 15" subs to get great stereo music. For multi channel - hell yeah. I'm all for that.

For the past 5 years I've been using a pair of DIY 12" sealed subs each with a Peerless XXLS driver with a 250w plate amp each in conjunction with a pair of Emotiva ERT towers with dual 8" drivers. Each DIY sub is in a sealed 46L cabinet. They drop off after 28hz rather fast. When I had a Harman Kardon HK990 integrated 2 channel amp with built in room correction it was probably as good as it gets for 2 channel for me until I got the ST's. I should have kept that 990. Prior to that I used various versions of Audyssey powered preamp processors - an Onkyo Sc885 with XT - an Onkyo NR818 receiver with XT32 - and an Integra DHC 40.1 with standard MultEq. The NR818 probably did the better job amongst these - and the 885 wasn't bad at all. The Integra - blah!

What I'm saying is I've found the ST's to be the best balanced speaker I've ever owned and they do not need a sub. I've owned lots of speakers. One pair that were good with bass was the Infinity IL50's - each tower had a 10" 250w bass/sub. Without proper setup they sounded horrible! But Infinity had a setup kit that came with the speakers called RABOS. Basically its an SPL meter CD and a set of charts that give you instructions to set them up. It worked pretty good.

I've had a lot of experience with subs and without subs. I love bass - what I'm saying is ST's need no sub and the sound is as natural as anything I've ever heard. Period! If I add a sub it would only give unnatural bass - I'm not looking to mess with what I have.

For multi channel I have one more sub - an Elemental Designs A5-350 with a 15" driver. I have a smallish living room (no theater) and that A5 rattles the stove in the kitchen. With help from the pair of DIY subs of course. Quite enough IMO for great LFE!

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers