The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 316 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
post #9451 of 9455 Old Today, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Is anyone out there going to Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday in case anyone wants to meet up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
I'm going!

- Jim

I wish! This weekend is a very busy one for my kids, specifically my son. I wish you both the best, though. I'll be following the coverage. Which speakers are you bringing (if any)?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9455 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
I wish! This weekend is a very busy one for my kids, specifically my son. I wish you both the best, though. I'll be following the coverage. Which speakers are you bringing (if any)?
Brandon! It's so good to hear from you again. The kids must be in college by now.

Let me put my voice in with others and say that I hope all is going well for you and yours. And yeah....stick around for a bit. We'll share war stories or some such.....
Nuance likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9453 of 9455 Old Today, 03:51 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
We have a friend who shall remain unnamed (Pete didn't want me to indicate these were his new Exoticas). While we were in the process of designing the Exotica 3's, he had plenty of time to explore design ideas. So he designed a rather novel set of cabinets and turned the project over to us to execute.

He wanted separate cabinets for the woofer section and the midrange/tweeter section. He wanted textured copper on the front baffles and had a sheet of raw textured copper sent to us. He specified everything down to the outriggers, feet, binding posts, etc.

While it may look simple, this was probably one of the most complicated builds we had ever done. Working with the copper was very tricky, so we had to work slow.

Here are the results...

Here's a side shot...

And a shot from the rear...

On Friday (Halloween), Pete and Brenda showed up with cases Pete had built for the tops, bottoms and outriggers - each appropriately sized and labeled.

While this pair required a lot of extra labor and we wouldn't necessarily want to duplicate again, it was fun to see if we could turn Pete's dream into reality.

Happy listening (name withheld upon request)...

- Jim
Thanks for the kudos Jim. Great job by the team! The speakers are being fed the best I can do right now and are amazing.
post #9454 of 9455 Old Today, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Is anyone out there going to Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday in case anyone wants to meet up.
I would really like to attend the Axpona Show! Chicago is just a short ways down 94.
This Show might be my best opportunity to hear Salk speakers for the first time.
Jeff
post #9455 of 9455 Unread Today, 05:27 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in the D View Post
I would really like to attend the Axpona Show! Chicago is just a short ways down 94.
This Show might be my best opportunity to hear Salk speakers for the first time.
Jeff
Jeff, you should go. The small rooms are not great, but at lower levels you can quickly decide which tickles your fancy more. I'm in Kzoo now so only a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'm going Friday AM.

Chicago is getting bigger every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page