The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #9481 of 9503 Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Location: "The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 78
^^^^

I believe these are the speakers he purchased from dmorse (see post #9471 above).

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla>>Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber>>Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla>>RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9503 Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

I like these so much, I haven't decided if I will sell them or keep them.

- Jim
These are really cool Jim! Love those happy accidents!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest

Last edited by funkmonkey; 05-22-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #9483 of 9503 Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
laulau you are correct, those are the speakers that I purchased from Richard Morse. They sound great in my 15x15 room. The photos do not do them justice , in person they look much better.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9484 of 9503 Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
T.H.E. Show - Newport

http://theshownewport.com/

Getting ready to shove off for The Show in Newport Beach, CA. This will be the first time we have shown in the LA area.

While at AXPONA, we were asked to supply speakers for this show. We will be showing the Exotica 3's and will be joined by Ginko Audio, Dana Cables, Lampizator (DAC) and Wells Audio (amplifier). It should be an interesting mix.

If you get a chance to attend, be sure and stop by and say hello. See you there!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9485 of 9503 Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Frank's SoundScape 8's in Mexican Cocobolo

Frank wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's finished in Mexican cocobolo, which is a form of rosewood that is more orange in color.

Here are some photos...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Frank!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9486 of 9503 Old 06-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

We were recently interviewed by Peter Spiegel of the Total Harmonic Distraction radio show/podcast. Here is a link...

http://totalharmonicdistraction.com/total-harmonic-distraction-podcast-8-jim-salk

- Jim
Nuance likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9487 of 9503 Old 06-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Positive Feedback Award for our room at THE Show in Newport...

- Jim
Nuance likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9488 of 9503 Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The custom low profile (10.5 inch) Soundscape that Jim made arrived a few days ago......after a week of having it

a) I'm done - out of the game. No more speaker upgrades for me. This is what I've been looking for in a center.

b) wow, this thing is massive! I knew the specs on the website, but wasnt prepared for what it looks like in real life
post #9489 of 9503 Old 07-13-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Sweet setup. Does the center veneer match the towers? Using the 4520 to power the LCR?
post #9490 of 9503 Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
The custom low profile (10.5 inch) Soundscape that Jim made arrived a few days ago......after a week of having it

a) I'm done - out of the game. No more speaker upgrades for me. This is what I've been looking for in a center.

b) wow, this thing is massive! I knew the specs on the website, but wasnt prepared for what it looks like in real life
Very nice, any pictures of the center bare nekkid?

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla>>Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber>>Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla>>RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
post #9491 of 9503 Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 73
dlbeck - no, not qutie matched. The towers were a batch of Crimson (or flame) Maple, whch Jim couldnt find at this time. He found something in another type of wood that looked close, but I decided just to live with the standard maple. And yup - the 4520 pwoers the LCR, and the surrounds for that matter

laulau - here's a pic.

post #9492 of 9503 Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
laulau - here's a pic.
Ooohh, pretty. I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks.

...pic... and ...more...
post #9493 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

For the past few years, we have been building the StreamPlayer music server we use here at the shop and at audio shows for customers who request them. About a year ago, we began development of our Generation II StreamPlayer. We did not announce it as a product and did not update our Salk Stream web site with the new version. We wanted to get units out in the field for testing, just to make sure all was well with this new version.

We have been shipping the Generation II StreamPlayer for about 8 months now and just completed Rev 2 of the operating system. What is really nice about this unit is that we have received almost no support calls. As one owner said, "WOW, it JUST WORKS."

Yesterday we finished work on a new Salk Stream web site featuring the Generation II StreamPlayer. We thought you might want to take a look. Here is a link...

http://www.salkstream.com/

Happy viewing!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9494 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Looks impressive!
The prices at the bottom say 2 GB drives -- should that be 2 TB?
Is the only difference between the standard and advanced the SSD?

How hard is it to replace drives? (Have had three PC HDD's crash so far this year, argh!)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9495 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Looks impressive!
The prices at the bottom say 2 GB drives -- should that be 2 TB?
Is the only difference between the standard and advanced the SSD?

How hard is it to replace drives? (Have had three PC HDD's crash so far this year, argh!)
Thanks for pointing that out. I changed it to 2TB.

Yes, that is the only difference. The standard drives we use were selected for their quiet performance. But if someone wants a totally silent unit, the SSD's will meet that requirement.

Replacing drives is easy, but the OS is on the drive. So you would have to replace it with a drive we supply. And, of course, you would want to have your music files backed up because the new drive would not contain them. I should note that we have not had a drive failure yet and have run our units 24-7 for years at a time.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9496 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jim.

The PDF also has 2 GB instead of 2 TB (quit selling yourself short! )

I have enterprise level drives in my NAS, but have seen a lot of standard desktop (and laptop, especially laptop) drives fail over the years (at work, friend's, and home). For me personally, they seem to hit in waves; years of service followed by several dying at the same time (we have multiple PCs in the house). None of them last forever, natch, and can sense the worst possible time to fail. I back everything up, natch.

I just recently ripped all my CDs and set up a SONOS system. I like it a lot, but it does not do all the hi-res formats, so I am looking for a solution and this looks very promising. I deal with computers enough at work so something that "just works" is highly valued in a home streamer.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9497 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim.

The PDF also has 2 GB instead of 2 TB (quit selling yourself short! )

I have enterprise level drives in my NAS, but have seen a lot of standard desktop (and laptop, especially laptop) drives fail over the years (at work, friend's, and home). For me personally, they seem to hit in waves; years of service followed by several dying at the same time (we have multiple PCs in the house). None of them last forever, natch, and can sense the worst possible time to fail. I back everything up, natch.

I just recently ripped all my CDs and set up a SONOS system. I like it a lot, but it does not do all the hi-res formats, so I am looking for a solution and this looks very promising. I deal with computers enough at work so something that "just works" is highly valued in a home streamer.
Thanks. Got that fixed too. Typing way too fast. Thanks for the great proof-reading job!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9498 of 9503 Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

NP, though I was just skimming, not doing a real proof-read. If you're looking for suggestions, why not a picture of the back of the unit as well as the front?

In the USB section it states 2.0 and 3.0 are supported then comments "The number of each varies with setup selected." -- what does that mean?

Does it support AES or just standard S/PDIF?

Edit: Maybe you should start a thread over in the receivers or streamers sub-fora?

post #9499 of 9503 Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NP, though I was just skimming, not doing a real proof-read. If you're looking for suggestions, why not a picture of the back of the unit as well as the front?
The reason is that, depending on the options desired, a different motherboard may be required. Our standard motherboard does not have S/PDIF or Wifi capabilities built in. If you want S/PDIF, this requires a motherboard with S/PDIF capabilities. Same with Wifi. So each configuration may look a bit different.

Quote:
In the USB section it states 2.0 and 3.0 are supported then comments "The number of each varies with setup selected." -- what does that mean?
Same as above. The number of USB ports varies with the motherboard employed.

Quote:
Does it support AES or just standard S/PDIF?
Just standard S/PDIF at this point. A separate AES board may be possible, but we have not had a request for that yet, so we have no investigated this.

Quote:
Edit: Maybe you should start a thread over in the receivers or streamers sub-fora?
I don't know what the current rules are for manufacturer's posting on AVS. A number of years ago, we used to post pictures of speakers. Then, someone complained and were told we could no longer do that. I think the idea was to prevent manufacturers from using the site for promotional purposes. When this thread was started, we were allowed to post to it because it was a "user" thread (designed to support our users). If someone started a thread, I suppose we could post to it.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9500 of 9503 Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it, thanks Jim. Makes sense now.

As for the thread: Salk StreamPlayer Generation II

post #9501 of 9503 Unread Today, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

About a week ago, a friend called to ask how we were doing. He hadn't seen any new posts of builds for a while and wondered if that meant we were not shipping. Well, it didn't. It just meant I wasn't getting around to posting pics. So this week, I will try and post a few every day. Here's the first...

Shaun wanted a pair of SS7 monitors. But he wanted something very unique. He located a batch of candy-striped padauk (quite rare) and we purchased it.

He also asked that we build them in a floor-standing format. So we did.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Since the M7's play down to 45Hz, Shaun also had us build a 15" down-firing Rythmik sub in the same finish (which I did not take a picture of).

Happy listening Shaun!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9502 of 9503 Unread Today, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Leonel wanted a pair of Veracity ST's in walnut. But not just any walnut. He wanted claro walnut.

We found a nice batch and this was the result...

And a closeup...

I should note that the photos were taken with black plinths. The actual plinths in Leonel's case were done in the same claro walnut.

Happy listening Leonel!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9503 of 9503 Unread Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Showoff
Nicely done as always. I have yet to see anything that isn't.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page