The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #9511 of 9529 Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Faisal wanted a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers to use as computer monitors. He chose a pair of Silk Monitors and wanted them finished in red and black to match his decor.

Here are the results...

Happy listening Faisal!

- Jim
Djoel likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9529 Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Arvind wanted a pair of Exotica 3's with a finish to match some speakers we had done for him before. They were espresso over walnut. But this time he wanted a more dramatic grain pattern. So we shot an espresso dye over pau ferro rosewood.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Arvind's brother is going to be shipping these with his home furniture when he returns to India next month. So it will be a while before Arvind has a chance to set them up. But at least he'll have these pictures to whet his appetite while he waits.

Happy listening Arvind (when they finally arrive)!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9513 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone ever accidentally played their speakers at an extremely loud level? And did you have any problems afterwards?
I played my songtowers too loud only for a few seconds and I immediately lowered the volume and luckily their doesn't seem to be any problems. They still sound amazing and play smooth highs and lows at regular and slightly increased volume levels.
They are brand new songtowers. The build quality is amazing, and im sure the drivers themselves can handle almost anything you throw at them power wise. As long as its good clean power. I have a Yamaha as1000 that is rated at 90 watts rms@ 8 ohms and 140 watts rms @4 ohms.
post #9514 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 PM

It seems to me if there was a problem, it would be pretty obvious. Maybe I dodged a bullet this time. The volume accidentally got turned up to high when I mistakenly switched input modes with my remote. The audio switched off and when I switched it back on it was very loud. But like I said , for the rest of the day I let my speakers run and did not hear any imperfections in the audio quality. Just a silly mistake....it happens right?
post #9515 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Yes it happens and I've done it a couple times when I have't had my DSD settings quite right on JRiver. I look over and always expect my tweeters to be laying on the floor. But those RAAL tweeters have survived. Listen to a couple tracks you know well....
post #9516 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM

Wow , ok glad I'm not the only one. I did listen to a couple tracks that I'm familiar with and all the subtle details are still there crystal clear and smooth . Thanks for the response.
Man I've had these speakers for almost a week now and I am completely blown away by them . The songtowers are for real! They are no joke, as I'm sure are all the other Salk speaker models. I have definitely found the speaker of my dreams. All of my old music collection has taken on a new life force and presence. I can't begin to imagine what the higher priced speakers in the Salk line up sound like when the songtowers already have me in awe. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the songtowers and have no regrets buying them.
post #9517 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I know exactly what you're saying. I still think that 4 years after Jim made them for me. They still blow me away. Love them
post #9518 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Hey dlbeck, just out of curiosity how long ago was it when you had the volume up very loud on your speakers?
Im just trying to rule out the chance that their could be a future problem with the speakers, since it seems you have not had a problem. Thanks again for the response.
post #9519 of 9529 Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It's happened a couple times over since I got them. Did it within the first couple months and then again just a couple weeks ago. I think you'll be ok .
post #9520 of 9529 Old 08-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do not worry if you have a problem Jim will take care of you. I damaged my ribbon tweeters in my HT2's and Jim told me to send him the tweeters and he put new ribbons in them for $25.00 a piece and turned them around the same day he received them. They now sound as good as new.
screener likes this.

Thomas DiCecco
post #9521 of 9529 Old 08-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray View Post
Hey dlbeck, just out of curiosity how long ago was it when you had the volume up very loud on your speakers?
Im just trying to rule out the chance that their could be a future problem with the speakers, since it seems you have not had a problem. Thanks again for the response.

Almost right away. I don't believe in extended breaking in periods. ;-)
post #9522 of 9529 Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Capital Audiofest 2015 - Hilton Hotel, Rockville, MD

Just announced...

We will be joining Gingko Audio, Lampizator, Dana Cables and Wells Audio in the Monroe Room at the Capital Audiofest, August 28 - 30.

http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

We're looking forward to a fun show. See you there!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 08-18-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9523 of 9529 Old 08-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't worry. If you damaged something, you would know it. Speakers either work or they don't. If they are working now, they will likely work for many years to come.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9524 of 9529 Old 08-18-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Quote:
Don't worry. If you damaged something, you would know it. Speakers either work or they don't. If they are working now, they will likely work for many years to come.

- Jim
Thanks Jim, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. They sound perfect. I thought it would be obvious right away if there was a problem . Again , I'm so happy with the speakers. They have replaced a set of definitive technology bp 7006's. Music reproduction is much better with the songtowers. They are very special.
post #9525 of 9529 Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm seriously considering buying the Salk Songtowers. I like in Ft lauderdale and was wondering if anyone in my area had some i could take a listen too??

Also, wondering ab the capasitor options, why (longevity, sound quality, etc.)? I dont think i need the ribbons as we dont listen to much classical music in the house.

Actually these speakers will serve as full time sound for our family room tv where we (my fianc?) watches tv and listens to pandora.

I on the other hand like to critically listen to all types of music via my oppo.

I like the reviews I've read and like the ease of placement off the walls.

I have a sub also.

Are these too much / going over board for me?
post #9526 of 9529 Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Location: "The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrada View Post
I'm seriously considering buying the Salk Songtowers. I like in Ft lauderdale and was wondering if anyone in my area had some i could take a listen too??

Also, wondering ab the capasitor options, why (longevity, sound quality, etc.)? I dont think i need the ribbons as we dont listen to much classical music in the house.

Actually these speakers will serve as full time sound for our family room tv where we (my fianc?) watches tv and listens to pandora.

I on the other hand like to critically listen to all types of music via my oppo.

I have a sub also.

Are these too much / going over board for me?
IMO...

1. Check out the Salk forum at Audiocircle, there are a couple of threads that lists owners that are willing to demo their Salks...or you could email Jim and ask him if he knows of any willing owners in your area.

2. Not sure where you got the impression that the RAAL ribbons are just for classical music, but they work fantastically for other genres of music (and movies too!). In my case, I listen almost exclusively to jazz and IMO, the RAALs were a worthy upgrade. Having said that, the OW tweeters are great in their own right (they're in my SongSurrounds) and I'm confident you'd enjoy them immensely.

3. Are they too much for you? No one can answer this except you. If you value wonderful sounding speakers, world class cabinetry and first class service, it's hard to imagine how they could be too much.

Have fun in your speaker search!

...pic... and ...more...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (setup help) ; Denon 4520CI ; D-Sonic M2-800S ; Oppo BDP93 ; Panny 65VT50 ; BJCables ; Schiit Valhalla>>Senn HD600 & HD555 ; Schiit Magni2Uber/Modi2Uber>>Oppo PM-3 ; Schiit Fulla>>RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
WDTV Live Hub ; Xbox 360 ; Chromecast ; Harmony One ; DLNA NAS ; Furman Elite-15 PFi ; Salamander Synergy ; Omnimic & REW ; CalMAN 5 HT ; i1D3 & i1 Pro2
post #9527 of 9529 Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
IMO...

1. Check out the Salk forum at Audiocircle, there are a couple of threads that lists owners that are willing to demo their Salks...or you could email Jim and ask him if he knows of any willing owners in your area.

2. Not sure where you got the impression that the RAAL ribbons are just for classical music, but they work fantastically for other genres of music (and movies too!). In my case, I listen almost exclusively to jazz and IMO, the RAALs were a worthy upgrade. Having said that, the OW tweeters are great in their own right (they're in my SongSurrounds) and I'm confident you'd enjoy them immensely.

3. Are they too much for you? No one can answer this except you. If you value wonderful sounding speakers, world class cabinetry and first class service, it's hard to imagine how they could be too much.

Have fun in your speaker search!
Thank you & thank you for the suggestion to Audiocircle.
post #9528 of 9529 Unread Today, 06:54 AM

rs. I like in Ft lauderdale and was wondering if anyone in my area had some i could take a listen too??

I have a sub also.

Are these too much / going over board for me?[/QUOTE]
I auditioned speakers from Bowers and Wilkins , Magnepan, Monitor Audio, Dali, Martin Logan, and Vienna Acoustics. The songtowers (which I now own) compete with these speaker brands and models that are double the price point. Of course the songtowers are not perfect , but for the money you are getting the quality and sound of a speaker selling for much more.
I went with the 3/4 dome and the detail in the highs are amazing and delicate. You do not have to strain to hear the details in the music. I have not heard the raal's so I can't comment on those, but again the domes are significantly better than a lot of other domes that I have heard.
Like I said before the Songtowers are for real. The bass detail , mid detail, and highs are great. They all combine together flawlessly.
I have my towers set up in a very small office in my house so its not an ideal room but thankfully they are very flexible as far as placement is concerned . They can be placed close to the rear walls and even though the bass becomes more pronounced closer to the wall it still blends with the music seamlessly. In fact I tried many different types of placement and ended up placing them about 12 inches from the rear wall. And a very moderate toe in. Vocals are Extremely amazing with these speakers. My wife who usually doesn't sit still to listen ,was amazed . The vocals hang right in the middle of the speakers out of thin air, and the musical imaging has a lot of depth.
I bought these speakers also because I read that they sound amazing with drums. They do. Check out "Hey You" by Pink Floyd . Drums are very tight and punchy. I did buy these without an audition so I was a little nervous, but I could not find a bad review anywhere on the internet. I'm so glad I ordered them. They are an amazingly real, high quality speaker.
Jim answered all my questions and even made sure to send the speakers to me at a convenient date per my request . Of course waiting for the speakers was hard, but it was worth it!!!
post #9529 of 9529 Unread Today, 07:09 AM

I auditioned speakers from Bowers and Wilkins , Magnepan, Monitor Audio, Dali, Martin Logan, and Vienna Acoustics. The songtowers (which I now own) compete with these speaker brands and models that are double the price point. Of course the songtowers are not perfect , but for the money you are getting the quality and sound of a speaker selling for much more. I went with the 3/4 dome and the detail in the highs are amazing and delicate. You do not have to strain to hear the details in the music. I have not heard the raal's so I can't comment on those, but again the domes are significantly better than a lot of other domes that I have heard. Like I said before the Songtowers are for real. The bass detail , mid detail, and highs are great. They all combine together flawlessly. I have my towers set up in a very small office in my house so its not an ideal room but thankfully they are very flexible as far as placement is concerned . They can be placed close to the rear walls and even though the bass becomes more pronounced closer to the wall it still blends with the music seamlessly. In fact I tried many different types of placement and ended up placing them about 12 inches from the rear wall. And a very moderate toe in. Vocals are Extremely amazing with these speakers. My wife who usually doesn't sit still to listen ,was amazed . The vocals hang right in the middle of the speakers out of thin air, and the musical imaging has a lot of depth. I bought these speakers also because I read that they sound amazing with drums. They do. Check out "Hey You" by Pink Floyd . Drums are very tight and punchy. I did buy these without an audition so I was a little nervous, but I could not find a bad review anywhere on the internet. I'm so glad I ordered them. They are an amazingly real, high quality speaker. Jim answered all my questions and even made sure to send the speakers to me at a convenient date per my request . Of course waiting for the speakers was hard, but it was worth it!!!

~ Page?953?of?953?~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page