The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #9601 of 9625 Old 10-12-2015, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
Picked up Exotica 3s @ Jim shop !
Congrats - those are stunning! Pau Ferro Rosewood?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 9625 Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
Congrats - those are stunning! Pau Ferro Rosewood?
Not rosewood. We came across a really unique batch of curly (mild fiddleback) walnut with a "burly" grain pattern. We added orange dye to the topcoat. The result resembles the color of Mexican cocobolo, but the grain patterns were really unique.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 10-13-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #9603 of 9625 Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Not rosewood. We came across a really unique batch of curly (mild fiddleback) walnut with a "burly" grain pattern. We added orange dye to the topcoat. The result resembles the color of Mexican cocobolo, but the grain patters were really unique.

- Jim
Thanks, Jim. You've created another work of art - very impressive! I look forward to hearing the Exotica's!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #9604 of 9625 Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
Thanks, Jim. You've created another work of art - very impressive! I look forward to hearing the Exotica's!

A work of art and my dream speaker , the sound is great , and I came from HT2-TL speakers which are great speakers . The Exotica 3s are on another level .

Mark
Nuance and t1337Dude like this.
post #9605 of 9625 Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
Picked up Exotica 3s @ Jim shop !
Very nice, indeed. The "cascade" at the bottom looks like a freshly-pulled pint of Guinness (except for the color).
post #9606 of 9625 Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 137
My wife sees an owl on the side with wings raised
post #9607 of 9625 Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

It seems like ideas for new projects are generated at a pace that exceeds the time we have available to develop them. Recently, we were working on a few new powered monitor concepts. At the time, we noticed we had an extra pair of SongTower cabinets that were almost finished and, just for the heck of it, decided to turn it into a self-powered pair.

Here is a picture...

In case you didn't notice it, here is that same photo with a highlight showing the touch sensor...

If you are interested in more information, we put a web page together outlining the system. Here is a link...

http://salksound.com/selfpowered.htm

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9608 of 9625 Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

We recently sent out a newsletter on the subject of streaming audio to those on our mailing list. Since many people who are not on our mailing list visit this site, we thought we might duplicate the newsletter here for those who might be interested. So here goes...

Streaming 101

There is little doubt that music streaming is becoming more popular and the added convenience and versatility is changing the way people listen to music. But for those not familiar with the basics, delving into streaming can be a bit intimidating.

So we thought it would be helpful to outline some of the basics involved for those who are new to the concept. If you already have some experience in this area, you can probably stop reading now unless you want to touch up on the basics. The purpose here is to outline the basics for those who have considered streaming but were a bit intimidated by the technology.

Here are the topcis we will cover in this issue:

Streaming Basics

There are many advantages to storing all of your music on a streaming device. The main one is obviously convenience. Systems can be designed so that you never have to leave your chair to change music tracks that are all at your fingertips (via an iPad or similar device). But there are other advantages as well.

You can search your music collection by artist, album, song title, genre or simply browse your collection. Better yet, you can create multiple playlists, each reflecting a certain musical style or mood. And the ease with which you can change tracks will change the way you listen to music forever. Once you stream, there is no going back!

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=199

Music File Formats

With the advent of CD's came a digital music standard called "Redbook." Redbook is a PCM (pulse code modulation) standard that features a word length of 16 bits and a sampling rate of 44,100 samples per second. It was calculated that this combination could adequately reproduce frequencies up to 22,050 cycles per second with a dynamic range (the difference between the softest and loudest passages) of about 90db (which was better than either audio tape or vinyl at the time). Since humans can only hear to about 20,000 cycles per second and less as they age, this was felt to be plenty sufficient for the task at hand. For many years, Redbook remained the go-to standard for digital recordings

Starting in the late 90's, however, recording studios began recording at higher resolutions...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=203

Compression

Why Compression?

Back in the early days of the iPod (not all that long ago), music files were often transferred over the Internet. Internet speeds were slower then and storage capacities on mp3 players and iPods were not that great. So there was a real need to compress music files to speed up downloads and minimize storage requirements. The most popular compression format developed in that era was .mp3, which remains in wide use today.

Lossy Compression

Formats like mp3 are called "lossy" formats. This is because when music files are compressed using the .mp3 format, compression is accomplished by throwing information away. This makes for a very compact file, but some of the information contained in the original file is lost and can never again be recovered. It could easily be said that since the earliest days of audio, the mp3 format represented the first "innovation" that actually served to decrease the quality of sound reproduction. Even though it offers low levels of sound quality, mp3 remains the most popular format in use today.

Uncompressed

If you are building a music streaming system today, it would seem that maintaining the highest quality level should be among your top priorities...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=207

Ripping Basics

The are quite a few computer applications that can successfully "rip" audio tracks from CDs, DVDs, etc. to your music storage device. Not only can they copy the files, but they can also compress them prior to storage. Most all of them can copy a CD or DVD with a reasonable degree of accuracy. But while all of them adopt strategies to insure the highest possible transfer quality, none can "guarantee" a bit-perfect copy of the original file.

Ripping Accuracy

When transferring a computer program from a CD or DVD to your computer, a simple one bit error in the transfer can render the program unusable. So one would assume that since a computer can read a program CD or DVD with total accuracy, copying music from a CD or DVD would be equally accurate. Unfortunately, such is not the case...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=205

DACs

There are probably at least a hundred models of outboard digital to analog converters (DACs)on the market today - some very good and some merely average. But even a mediocre-performing outboard DAC will often out-perform the DACs in most consumer CD players. That being the case, how do you go about selecting the right DAC for your system? <br /><br />There are several criteria you can use to narrow down the potential field. They include:
  • [li]the file resolutions you would like to support;[/li]
    [li]compatibility with your music storage/streaming device;[/li]
    [li]required inputs and outputs; and,[/li]
    [li]your budget.[/li]

Let's take these one by one...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=209

StreamPlayer Story

The Story

A number of years ago, we were displaying our speakers at the California Audio Show. We were using a Denon CD player as the source driving a very good sounding DAC. Since it was the DAC that was responsible for the sound quality, we didn't see any reason to use another player. But people would peer into the room, see the Denon, assume the sound quality was not worth a listen and move on. So we obviously had to do something different.

In addition, working with CD's at a show was not the most convenient. So we made it our mission to return the following year with the best source streaming player we could find. Thus began our search for the ideal player...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=249

Enjoy...

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9609 of 9625 Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey Jim I saw this info in your newsletter, and thought it was very kind of you to take the time to lay it all out in easy to understand terms for us all... very cool!

Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #9610 of 9625 Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 814
There is also a thread in the streaming forum about the Salk StreamPlayer: Salk StreamPlayer Generation II

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9611 of 9625 Old 12-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Kim wanted a pair of Veracity ST's in pau ferro rosewood and wanted them finished with an espresso dye.

Here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Kim!

- Jim
outofprint likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 12-11-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #9612 of 9625 Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Stuart wanted a pair of Veracity ST's in bird's eye maple. But he wanted them dyed smokey silver gray.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Stuart!

- Jim
outofprint likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers

Last edited by jsalk; 12-11-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #9613 of 9625 Old 12-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

When we build speakers for ourselves, we often use them at shows. That being the case, we are always searching for unusual veneers and finishes. Once and a while, someone who sees a pair of these "show" speakers just has to have them. That was the case with our recent Exotica 3 show pair done in an unusual batch of highly figured walnut shot with an orange dye.

Naturally, we had to replace them or go without a pair of Exotica 3's.

This time around, we did a special dye technique over a very nice batch of burled maple. I think they turned out quite nice.

Here are some pictures...

These were also done in a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish.

Here's a close-up...

Happy listening to us!

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9614 of 9625 Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 431
post #9615 of 9625 Old 12-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

These were also done in a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish.

Here's a close-up...

Happy listening to us!

- Jim
I think you mean unhappy, not listening to you! Maybe in a decade or so, I'll be able to afford a pair of SoundScape 8 in this veneer (or maybe buy your personal pair, if you get tired of it)

Beautiful work (as always)!
post #9616 of 9625 Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post
I think you mean unhappy, not listening to you! Maybe in a decade or so, I'll be able to afford a pair of SoundScape 8 in this veneer (or maybe buy your personal pair, if you get tired of it)

Beautiful work (as always)!
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9617 of 9625 Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just wanted to stop by and wish you all a very Happy Holiday season and best wishes for the new year! Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #9618 of 9625 Old 01-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thumbs up Self powered Salks

I was looking at the page Jim created to showcase the self-powered speaker option and I like what I am seeing! I'd still love to see this solution in a near field monitor setup to serve as a desktop solution, but this is a beautifully elegant approach. Kudos to Salk Sound for exploring this! Once people understand what he is providing here I suspect there will be many fans!

post #9619 of 9625 Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterion View Post
I was looking at the page Jim created to showcase the self-powered speaker option and I like what I am seeing! I'd still love to see this solution in a near field monitor setup to serve as a desktop solution, but this is a beautifully elegant approach. Kudos to Salk Sound for exploring this! Once people understand what he is providing here I suspect there will be many fans!

Enterion -

We happen to be working on some self-powered monitor speakers as I write this. We should be announcing them in the next week or so.

- Jim
Enterion likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9620 of 9625 Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post
Just wanted to stop by and wish you all a very Happy Holiday season and best wishes for the new year! Cheers
Happy New Year to you and to audiophiles everywhere! We hope to have some exciting new product launches in 2016. It should be a great year!

- Jim
funkmonkey likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9621 of 9625 Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cool

Quote:
Enterion -

We happen to be working on some self-powered monitor speakers as I write this. We should be announcing them in the next week or so.

- Jim

Sweet! I am looking forward to reading more about these. This method allows a sound system that is very compact in terms of the number of components needed. You can eliminate the Amp and DAC for starters. For PC-based audio this could mean a wicked near field listening rig. Just plug in the USB cable and you are off and running. Have a record player or other analog source? Check. S/PDIF? No worries either. Roll on 2016!
post #9622 of 9625 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Susheel wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's but he had a few custom requests.

First off, he wanted to know if we could produce a pair using beryllium tweeters as opposed to our standard RAAL tweeter. Of course we said yes.

He also wanted the drivers centered, he requested chamfered edges rather than rounded edges and he wanted outriggers instead of our standard plinth. Of course, we said yes to all of these requests. Finally, he wanted them in high-gloss, hand-rubbed white.

Here are the results...

Here is an FR plot of the results...

Happy listening Susheel!

- Jim
t1337Dude likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9623 of 9625 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

With the development process complete, it's time to launch our new PowerPlay Monitors.

We've created a web page with introductory promotions to kick things off. Here is a link...

PowerPlay Introductory Promotions

Enjoy...

- Jim
RMW1982 likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9624 of 9625 Old Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
With the development process complete, it's time to launch our new PowerPlay Monitors.

We've created a web page with introductory promotions to kick things off. Here is a link...

PowerPlay Introductory Promotions

Enjoy...

- Jim
Nice!
post #9625 of 9625 Old Today, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Great addition to the Salk lineup Jim. Can't wait to hear them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page