The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 155Likes

post #9721 of 9727 Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Gorgeous as usual...

Do the woofer drivers come with a wooden plug in the woofer?
Guessing it drops the low frequency corner but does it increase distortion?
Is it going to come flying off in 10 years?

Did you have to tweak the crossover to work with the RAAL and did it change the overall FR and/or sensitivity significantly?

Curious - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9727 Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Gorgeous as usual...

Do the woofer drivers come with a wooden plug in the woofer?
Yes, they do.

Quote:
Guessing it drops the low frequency corner but does it increase distortion?
It is a phase plug to improve the performance of the driver. It is like phase plugs made of any other material. Seas makes extensive use of phase plugs in their high-end drivers.

Quote:
Is it going to come flying off in 10 years?
It is no more apt to "fly off" than any other phase plug. It is bolted on from the rear of the driver. I doubt it would ever fly off, but if it did, you could simply re-attach it. No problem.

Quote:
Did you have to tweak the crossover to work with the RAAL and did it change the overall FR and/or sensitivity significantly?

Curious - Don
Any driver change requires a new crossover. So, yes, we had to re-work the crossover to accommodate the RAAL.

As for the sensitivity, that is controlled by the woofer, not the tweeter. As long as you are using the same woofer, the sensitivity of the design would not change at all. You can pad down a tweeter that it too sensitive, but you can't normally pad down a woofer to lower its sensitivity.

The only change you would notice is a more extended and transparent top end (as one would expect with a RAAL ribbon tweeter).

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9723 of 9727 Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Thanks Jim, those were mostly tongue in cheek questions, hope I didn't offend! I had read in the primordial past about heavy phase plugs increasing distortion but nothing recently. Not my field. I was wondering about the crossover since you said the tweeter was "sensitive enough" so I was curious. I have rarely seen a woofer padded but figured the ribbon was less sensitive than the T35.

Bet (hope!) that jumpstarts orders for more Exotica RAAL models.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9724 of 9727 Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Thanks Jim, those were mostly tongue in cheek questions, hope I didn't offend! I had read in the primordial past about heavy phase plugs increasing distortion but nothing recently. Not my field. I was wondering about the crossover since you said the tweeter was "sensitive enough" so I was curious. I have rarely seen a woofer padded but figured the ribbon was less sensitive than the T35.

Bet (hope!) that jumpstarts orders for more Exotica RAAL models.
No problem. The RAAL and the T35 are about the same in terms of sensitivity. They are typically padded down quite a bit in our other designs.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9725 of 9727 Old Today, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Well I am finally joining the family. I just bought a used pair of HT2-TL's. I have been looking on and off for quite sometime and finally landed on a pair. I had talked to Jim years ago and I was going to buy a pair of HT3's but winded up going a different direction, but they were always in the back of my mind and knew I would have a pair someday. These actually were a surprise as I just stumbled on to a classified and there they were. I had talked to Nuance years ago as I had read his write up on the SongBirds and I probably drove him nuts bugging him about Salks LOL. Anyway, looking forward to joining the family.

Dave
Ryansboston likes this.
post #9726 of 9727 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Well it's about darn time! Welcome Reef!
post #9727 of 9727 Old Today, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Welcome Reef!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page