The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 164Likes
post #9721 of 9749 Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Well I am finally joining the family. I just bought a used pair of HT2-TL's. I have been looking on and off for quite sometime and finally landed on a pair. I had talked to Jim years ago and I was going to buy a pair of HT3's but winded up going a different direction, but they were always in the back of my mind and knew I would have a pair someday. These actually were a surprise as I just stumbled on to a classified and there they were. I had talked to Nuance years ago as I had read his write up on the SongBirds and I probably drove him nuts bugging him about Salks LOL. Anyway, looking forward to joining the family.

Dave
Ryansboston likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9749 Old 07-18-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Well it's about darn time! Welcome Reef!
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #9723 of 9749 Old 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Welcome Reef!
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #9724 of 9749 Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Here are the new Veracity ST speakers I ordered in late May . The veneer is unstained ropey curley cherry.

post #9725 of 9749 Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Beautiful!

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #9726 of 9749 Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Those are beeee-u-tiful, Rich. Good show.

Did you decide to demote the STs?

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9727 of 9749 Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Those are beeee-u-tiful, Rich. Good show.

Did you decide to demote the STs?
Thanks . Yes, those highly-valued Vintage SongTowers from 2007 will be for sale once I get the new speakers, and can use their shipping cartons.

I posted a longer explanation elsewhere http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...topic=143256.0
post #9728 of 9749 Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Here are the new Veracity ST speakers I ordered in late May . The veneer is unstained ropey curley cherry.

Very nice, I like the Cherry. I am going to head over and read your article. I just got my new to me HT2-TL's set up. Just waitng on my amp new amp to arrive. Hopefully Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1582185  
post #9729 of 9749 Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Very nice, I like the Cherry. I am going to head over and read your article. I just got my new to me HT2-TL's set up. Just waiting on my amp new amp to arrive. Hopefully Friday.
Prepare to be amazed when you hear them. To bad you have to wait for the delivery of the amp.

That veneer on your HT2-TLs is gorgeous, what is it?

Edit: I spent a few minutes on the Salk webpage and found these Quilted Crimson Maple HT2-TLs. Are they yours? Even without an amp, you can be entertained just staring at them.

outofprint likes this.

Last edited by R Swerdlow; 08-06-2016 at 10:11 AM.
post #9730 of 9749 Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 AM

The new speaker arrived yesterday. I unpacked them, looked, admired, and listened briefly:
Aaron Copeland, Fanfare for the Common Man
Grateful Dead Three From the Vault (a few selections)

Initial comments: Well Alright !!!

More observations & thoughts:

• The cherry veneer of the Veracity ST (VST) is highly figured and nice to look at. It is coated only with clear satin lacquer (no stain or dye) & is paler in tone than the similarly finished 9-year-old cherry SongTowers (ST). With time, the VSTs will develop a redder tone and greater contrast within the figuring. It is interesting to see the color of both old & new side-by-side.
  • The VST looks smaller than the ST, however their cabinet widths & depths are identical. The plinths & spikes are also identical. The only difference is the VST is 2½-3" shorter than the ST, including the plinth and floor spikes.
  • Despite the shorter cabinet, the VST is noticeably heavier than the ST.
  • The VST also has greater bass impact. This is especially noticeable with well recorded percussion. I was surprised to hear that in Paul Simon's Graceland.
  • The sound of the RAAL ribbon tweeter is smooth and not as noticeable as other very good dome tweeters I've known. Nothing stands out to announce "hear that tweeter". So far, I like it. This will require more careful comparisons between VST and ST. So far, I've been only listening to the new VST and relying on my memory of the ST.
  • More to come…

It's going to be a long day before I get home.
post #9731 of 9749 Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
"Copland" (no "e" -- played it a few months ago with the philharmonic).

Pictures?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9732 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
"Copland" (no "e" -- played it a few months ago with the philharmonic).
Thanks for the Aaron Copland spell check. What instrument? Trumpet?

Quote:
Pictures?
No pictures yet, other than those from Jim Salk shown higher up on this page. This weekend, I'll take some photos in decent daylight showing both the 9-year-old clear cherry SongTowers and the new clear cherry Veracity STs.

Each evening since getting them, I've been having some great fun listening .
post #9733 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yah, trumpet, see my avatar (that's one of my horns). He was a neat guy though I only met him briefly many years ago (and I was not in the orchestra he was guest conducting at the time). www.pikespeakphil.org is the orchestra I play in when work is not insane.

I am planning to upgrade one of my ancillary speaker pairs in the next few years and am following Jim's designs closely.

Enjoy the music! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9734 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade one of my ancillary speaker pairs in the next few years and am following Jim's designs closely.

Enjoy the music! - Don
What kind of speaker do you have in mind?

Dennis is also an active classical musician. He plays violin and viola in local Washington DC area orchestras. He is also the very best speaker designer I've ever met – that is to say, I like how he 'voices' his speakers.

I don't post as much on AVS as I do on AH, but I'm a self-admitted Dennis Murphy and Jim Salk fan boy. I live about 15 miles from Dennis and have known him for maybe 12 years. I've built some of his DIY designs, bought the original SongTowers in 2007, and now the Veracity ST. At Dennis's house, I've heard many speakers he's developed over the years from small 2-ways, various MTM towers, big 3-ways like the Salk SS8 & SS10 or the Philharmonic 3.
post #9735 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Something relatively cheap, though "cheap" has gotten a lot more expensive over the years... Probably SongTower, preferably the RT version. I started looking at Salk a few years ago when a friend was looking at B&W and Salk was highly recommended. I was looking at SoundScape 10 vs. 12 at that time.

I had forgotten that about Dennis, but then again as a brass-hole what do I know about cat-gutters?

post #9736 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I had forgotten that about Dennis, but then again as a brass-hole what do I know about cat-gutters?
Dennis Murphy is the engineer & designer for nearly all of Salk’s speakers. He was an economist and a musician, and became a self-taught speaker designer, and especially good a crossover design. He can create crossovers that have no dips or peaks across their range, including ±30° off-axis. All his designs share the common feature of smooth frequency response across the midrange with excellent imaging. The sound is balanced and clean with no losses. As a brass player, you are probably familiar with speakers that tend to swallow brass harmonic overtones. When it comes to listening to speakers and diagnosing what might be wrong with them, Dennis has the best ears I’ve ever encountered.

Jim Salk is the idea man, often the rosy-eyed optimist of the two, excellent at talking to customers. His shop creates the best wood finishing on any furniture I’ve seen. You’ve seen the photos. When Jim has a new idea, he ships Dennis an unfinished test cabinet with drivers, and Dennis plays with it until it works well, or he blows it up. Together these two have made a great pair.

I shouldn’t leave out two other speaker designers, Paul Kittinger and Jeff Bagby. Paul is responsible for bass alignment of all the ‘Mass Loaded Transmission Line’ tower speakers (all the various Salk MTM towers), and Jeff designed the bass alignment of the large 3-way speakers, the SS8, SS10 & SS12 speakers. Their work is also, in my opinion, excellent. Their unexaggerated (well damped) bass is responsible for a good part of the clean sound of Salk speakers.
Quote:
Something relatively cheap, though "cheap" has gotten a lot more expensive over the years... Probably SongTower, preferably the RT version. I started looking at Salk a few years ago when a friend was looking at B&W and Salk was highly recommended. I was looking at SoundScape 10 vs. 12 at that time.
I have a pair of used standard SongTowers with the ¾" dome tweeters that will be soon for sale. I’m in Maryland and you’re in Colorado, so shipping would be involved. I was among the first 10 or 12 to get on the SongTower bandwagon, but I had heard Dennis’s prototype before Jim ever announced it. I think I’m asking $1600, to start. The finish is unstained curly cherry, aged by some 9 years. I’ll make some photos available, as my old photo links are dead.

Read about it here http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/impressions-of-salk-songtowers.36600/. Most of what I said then I still believe now .
post #9737 of 9749 Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Getting closer!

Song3

Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT

69%

Invoice Finished
Deposit Finished
Panels Cut Finished
Cabinets Glued Up Finished
Cabinets Veneered Finished
Cabinets Routed Finished
Cabinets Sanded Finished
Sealer Coat 1 Finished
Sealer Coat 2 Finished
Sealer Coat 3 Finished
Sealer Coat 4 Finished
Final Topcoat Finished

SongCenter RT

Production Notes: Front ported - satin black

69%

Invoice Finished
Deposit Finished
Panels Cut Finished
Cabinets Glued Up Finished
Cabinets Veneered Finished
Cabinets Routed Finished
Cabinets Sanded Finished
Sealer Coat 1 Finished
Sealer Coat 2 Finished
Sealer Coat 3 Finished
Sealer Coat 4 Finished
Final Topcoat Finished
post #9738 of 9749 Old 08-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with Jim and testing is done and my speakers are getting packed. Will ship soon! Cant wait!
post #9739 of 9749 Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

OK I started a separate delivery anticipation thread should've posted it here. Ill repost that here, with updates in here.

I 've been a member here for awhile, but essentially Ive been in this hobby seriously for about 8 years. Ive always loved music and film, but never really built anything in my own home until about 8 years ago. A friend of mine saw an ad on Craigslist for a mint pair of Polk RTi10's for $175 and told me "Dude, you have to jump on this!". I was a little apprehensive. I mean, my current cheapo Kenwood receiver and Pioneer towers worked fine, right? But he talked me into it. That was my first dip into the home theater pool. Funny story here. Wifey was pretty scrunchy-faced any time I wanted to add speakers or a sub, until I actually got a sub. We watched our first movie with it, she looked at me with a big grin on her face, and said "OK. I get it now". Thankfully she's blessed any purchase from there on out

Fast forward to today. Wifey and I sold our house in March and are building new. Projected close date is October, but got a bunch of custom wiring done in the greatroom/theater area. Dual purpose room, but focused on home theater. 2 20 amp dedicated power lines, multiple sub runs, Atmos speaker wiring in the ceiling, speaker wiring for rears. As a result of upgrading from my previous 7.1 setup to Atmos, a new receiver was in line, and it was time time to retire my Polk RTi10's and CSi6 center for something better. I chose Salk based on hours of listening tests, and people's rave reviews on Jim's fabulous speakers. I spoke to Jim yesterday, and his listening tests are done and they're ready for packing and then shipping. Im guessing some time in the next week or so.

Right now we're still in an apartment waiting for our house to finish, so wont be able to truly put these to the test until we move, but Ill certainly be able to get a nice workout here in the meantime. I probably wont be able to get the traditional FedEx truck pic, but Ill definately get one with the poor driver who has to bring them to my door

My music test list is as follows:
Steely Dan - Babylon Sisters
Jennifer Warnes - Bird On A Wire
Pearl Jam - Black
Dire straights - Brothers In Arms
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
Norah Jones - Painter Song
Daft Punk - Solar Sailer
Gotye - State Of The Art
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Yello - La Habanera
Aerosmith - Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man
Muddy Waters - My Home Is In The Delta
Miroslav Tadic & Vlatko Stefanovski - Anadolu Oyun Havasi
Eric Clapton - Change The World
Knife Party - Bonfire
Tubular Bells - Tubular Bells (Extended Version)

I know all of these songs very well and is a nice mix of highs, lows, mids, quiet, raucous, and electronic music. Im SUPER excited to hear this playlist on my new Salks!

My equipment once all set up in the house is as follows (will be running 5.1.4):
Yamaha 3060 receiver
Emotiva XPA-2 (powering the Song3's)
Emotiva XPA-200 (powering the Songcenter RT)
Intel i7 HTPC for audio/video duty running JRiver Media Center Software
Salk Song3 fronts
Salk Songcenter RT center
Polk FXi A6 rear surrounds running in bipole mode
RSL C34E in ceiling for Atmos
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Harmony Ultimate One remote for everything

Delivery shows Tuesday so it looks like I'll be calling in sick *cough cough*

And here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-black.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1610977  
post #9740 of 9749 Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Schiit Audio, manufacturer of popular DACs and headphone amps wanted a pair of reference speakers for a new audio showroom at their world headquarters. At first, Jason requested a simple pair in black satin. But later, he asked if we could do a pair in a color that would match their aluminum cases. So we chose a silver metallic automotive finish.

Here are the results...

Happy listening Jason, Mike and crew!

- Jim
Reefdvr27 and outofprint like this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9741 of 9749 Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Prepare to be amazed when you hear them. To bad you have to wait for the delivery of the amp.

That veneer on your HT2-TLs is gorgeous, what is it?

Edit: I spent a few minutes on the Salk webpage and found these Quilted Crimson Maple HT2-TLs. Are they yours? Even without an amp, you can be entertained just staring at them.

LOL, I would have to say yes they are mine. The pattern matches the picture to a tee. Yes they are beautiful. I stare at them often and my wife loves them. She says they are hers, she even said she would pay me so they could be hers. I am pretty lucky as my wife is in to this stuff.
post #9742 of 9749 Old 08-19-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Hah! She wants to pay you for them so you can't sell them when the inevitable upgraditis strikes again!

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #9743 of 9749 Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
Hah! She wants to pay you for them so you can't sell them when the inevitable upgraditis strikes again!
I know right LOL. I am the king of upgraditus. AVS is the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. When I say best thing, I say that in the fact I have met so many cool people all across the country now and many GTG's. Looking forward to meeting many more members. Trying to goto Cedia or RMAF this year.
post #9744 of 9749 Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Gggrrr according to FedEx tracking they arrived in Flagstaff yesterday. I couldve made the two hour trip up there, picked them up, drove them home, and listened to them tonight if there was a way.

But no. Gotta wait for my poor FedEx guy on Tuesday
post #9745 of 9749 Old Today, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

8/23/16 3:59 AM PHOENIX, AZ 85027, US On FedEx vehicle for delivery

I woke up early this morning and couldnt get back to sleep so now Im refreshing the delivery page. I really wish my FedEx guy had a normal time for delivery but he doesnt for my apartments. Could be in 10 minutes could be in 8 hours uuugghhh. They really need to put GPS on these guys so we know where they are! haha Gotta be ready though so I can get the required pic of the truck

Im hoping I can show some self control today so I dont get kicked out 60 more days until my house is done and give these things an honest workout!
post #9746 of 9749 Old Today, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Aaaannnnddddd they arrived! After getting them unpacked and set up, Ill do a quick listening review based on my previous playlist.

post #9747 of 9749 Old Today, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Pictures not showing up! We wanna see!!!
post #9748 of 9749 Unread Today, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Pictures not showing up! We wanna see!!!
Theyre showing up for me in thread...????

Now for my initial listening impressions.

Well...damn. How can I possibly think of something that hasnt already been said about Salk speakers already? So many adjectives.

First, build quality. I mean, perfect. Every seam, every joint, is perfect. One little thing...Im a bare wire kinda guy. I dont do banana clips. The posts that Jim puts on these speakers are excellent. They screw out to reveal a hole to put the speaker wire through and screw down. Not some cheap aluminum crap, but nice. Well built, smooth threading.

Damn these things are heavy lol.

On my listening test I was blown away. I dont know what to say. The highs are incredibly crisp, the mids are clear, the bass is tight and clear. Damn.

Honestly, Im not into the whole "chocolatey bass" and "dreamy airy highs" crap, but what came to mind as I was going through my playlist was when a buddy of mine rented a Cadillac CTS and let me drive it. I normally drive a Honda Civic, which is a nice car. But the Caddy? Smooth...refined...perfectly constructed...and tight. Thats how these Song3's are. Simply effortless in their delivery.

Jim, your accolades dont even come close to the joy listening to your speakers bring. These are truly a work of musical art. Thank you. These will bring me pleasure for years to come.

I will do an extensive music and movie test in a couple of months when I get into my house and report back. But for now, this 3.0 Salk system I have is truly the best Ive ever heard.
post #9749 of 9749 Unread Today, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

OK a little more listening, as well as catching up on our favorite TV shows. First though, I forgot to mention the satin black finish. Its really nice. Its in between piano gloss and flat. Really classy, and wifey loves it.

Ive never been one who has believed when Ive read this, but Ive never had a speaker this accurate before. But...there is a noticeable difference with the grills off. It really makes the ribbons shine. And sparkle. And do the things they do. Midrange and bass are the same to my ears.

Another analogy...compared to my previous Polks and now the Salks, its like Ive been looking through a dirty window that has finally been cleaned. Everything is simply cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page