The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 326 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #9751 of 9763 Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Meadowlark Kestrel vs. Ellis 1801-TL

I have never heard a pair of Salk Sound speakers. By inspection of the product line I think the Ellis 1801-TL might be for me. I base this on having been at one time a Meadowlark Kestrel owner. Those speakers featured a one inch tweeter and a seven inch mid/woofer in a phase coherent, time aligned, transmission line tower design.

Has anybody heard both of these speakers? Or, maybe even owned both? If so, please compare and contrast if you like.

audioengine B1 or Marantz CD6005>miniDSP DDRC-24>class D audio CDA 250C>Fluance XL7F Speakers
NAD VISO HP50, Sennheiser HD 700, AudioQuest Nighthawk Headphones & an Audeze Deckard Headphone Amp
PC>NAD D3020>The Jazz Speakers by NSMT Loudspeakers

Last edited by BpShenanigans; 09-20-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: add title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9763 Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Jay paid us a visit from CA. A long way to travel to hear speakers, I thought. But, as I recall, he came to MI to do a little mushroom hunting. While here, he decided he wanted a pair of Song3's. But he had a hard time figuring out what the finish should be. He finally chose curly cherry with a light black dye and burst edges.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening, Jay!

- Jim
outofprint likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9753 of 9763 Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
Jay paid us a visit from CA. A long way to travel to hear speakers, I thought. But, as I recall, he came to MI to do a little mushroom hunting. While here, he decided he wanted a pair of Song3's. But he had a hard time figuring out what the finish should be. He finally chose curly cherry with a light black dye and burst edges.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening, Jay!

- Jim
Those look great! Love that finish.

Jay's a lucky guy.

Salk STRT / SongCtr-RT / SongSurr I ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (latest ver of my setup guide) ; Denon 4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; NAS DLNA; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic & REW; CalMAN 5 HT i1D3 & i1Pro2 ::Headphones:: RPi3 w/Digi+ > AGD DAC19 > Cavalli LC > HFM HE400i & Meze 99 Classics :: CCA > Schiit Bifrost 4490 > Schiit Valhalla > Senn HD600 :: FooB2K > Schiit Modi2U > Schiit Magni2U > Oppo PM3
post #9754 of 9763 Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Michael wanted a pair of Silk Monitors but wanted an unusual looking finish. We had purchased a small batch of bees wing makore that we fell in love with a few years earlier but had never used it. In fact, we forgot we even had it.

When searching our inventory for something unusual, we re-discovered it and offered it to Michael.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Michael!

- Jim
BacHolz likes this.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9755 of 9763 Old 11-16-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just love looking at those beautiful veneers.

Another winner.

Salk STRT / SongCtr-RT / SongSurr I ; Rythmik F12 (x2) (latest ver of my setup guide) ; Denon 4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; BJCables; NAS DLNA; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic & REW; CalMAN 5 HT i1D3 & i1Pro2 ::Headphones:: RPi3 w/Digi+ > AGD DAC19 > Cavalli LC > HFM HE400i & Meze 99 Classics :: CCA > Schiit Bifrost 4490 > Schiit Valhalla > Senn HD600 :: FooB2K > Schiit Modi2U > Schiit Magni2U > Oppo PM3
post #9756 of 9763 Old 11-18-2016, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
Aaaannnnddddd they arrived! After getting them unpacked and set up, Ill do a quick listening review based on my previous playlist.

Well, are they in the house pulling their weight in Atmos duty now?
post #9757 of 9763 Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Well, are they in the house pulling their weight in Atmos duty now?
Yes! Just made a new thread about my setup here: blackangst's multipurpose theater room DONE

My system: Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-2, Salk Song3, Salk Songcenter RT, Polk FXiA6, Rythmik FV15HP, Intel i7 HTPC running JRiver Media Center
post #9758 of 9763 Old 11-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For those with offset tweeters are you placing them inside/outside?

I have HT2-TL's and when we moved into the new house I plopped them down and out of dumb luck I placed them what seemed me to be perfectly.

I have a matching center and put someone in my listening seat and they all swore the center was playing when it was not even connected.

We re-carpeted the basement and I picked up a new amp and didn't think about it when I moved everything. Now they are back and I can tell left/right when listening. Sounds like two separate speakers versus the single sound stage I had before.

I have them in approximately the same place but not exactly apparently.

The room has changed. Before it was 100 percent carpet. Room is 45' long and the front half is 25' wide, then at 22' it goes down to 16' wide. At the narrowing it is now porcelain tile.

Temporarily the room at the wide end is actually 38' wide since the wall is missing while we put in a new bathroom and bar area.

Next week that will be more closed off.

Will tweeter placement make a difference since they are offset?

I started with them both 30" off the back wall and equal distance from the center console that holds my equipment, approx. 11' apart. Then I angled them inward and used the corners to make sure I have them angled right, so 30" on the outside edge and 29" on the inside edge.

Tomorrow a new 1/2 wall is being installed to separate the tile/carpet area with a bar counter which will block it all off except 3' on the right hand side of the seating area. Day after that a new sectional will be coming that will obscure that wall except the top counter and the bottom half of the window that is immediately to the left of the left speaker about 28" away.

I'm assuming no point in doing anything until the room is closer to finished and the sectional is here but figured I'd ask opinions on speaker placement

I also added a new amp(Emotiva Gen 3 2 channel) and not sure how that may be affecting things either.

Thanks

Last edited by Eric_Connelly; 11-24-2016 at 08:14 PM.
post #9759 of 9763 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I have my tweeters on the inside. I thought Jim told me once that's the way he intended them to be oriented.
post #9760 of 9763 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
I have my tweeters on the inside. I thought Jim told me once that's the way he intended them to be oriented.
There is no single orientation that is best for all speakers with offset tweeters. By design, the off-axis response of such speakers to the left and to the right will differ. One will always be a little smoother than the other depending on the specific radiation pattern of the tweeters, the crossover frequency, the crossover slopes, and the width of the baffle. In theory, you want the smoothest off-axis response to be toward the listening position. That will optimize imaging. In theory. In practice, I'm not sure it will make any difference, but you should feel free to experiment.
post #9761 of 9763 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So Eric...who's advice are you going to follow? Me or the crossover designer himself - the great Dennis Murphy? Lol.
post #9762 of 9763 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
So Eric...who's advice are you going to follow? Me or the crossover designer himself - the great Dennis Murphy? Lol.
LOL...well I actually just got done swapping them around.

I spent the evening listening to a huge variety of stuff to see if it was recording specific. Out of probably 40 things I listened to only one sounded 'better' from what I remembered before.

I checked some pictures before we did the basement and I did have them on the inside. I just finished moving them and the speakers disappeared.

This is not a 'I think it might sound better' it was a completely different experience. Voice comes across the entire front with no ability to tell left from right where the sound is originating.

I swapped them directly into the same position, the advantage of new deep pile carpet, popped them right back in the same indentation.

I have a bit more positioning to do once the furniture shows tomorrow and the carpenter gets done with our wiring hiding floor trim.

Then next week talk to Jim about rear's for the setup. Hopefully his new idea works out.

Last edited by Eric_Connelly; Yesterday at 07:55 PM.
post #9763 of 9763 Old Today, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page