The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #9781 of 9816 Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered (couldn't find it), but what is the difference between the Song Towers RT and the Supercharged SongTowers? Is it the use of a different woofer only? The Supercharged ST's dig lower (34Hz vs. 42Hz).

Thanks.
I'm a newbie on this site and don't own any Salk Sound speakers but I'm seriously considering a pair. There are so many models with pricepoints staggered rather close together that I decided to call and get some clarity.

I was able to speak with Jim himself. He was fairly generous with his time and I did take some notes.

I can't answer your question fully, but I can say the effect on the sound with the more advanced drivers in the Super Charged ST and Veracity series speakers is centered around improved clarity, detail, transparency.

In the price point of the RT, I'm leaning more towards the 3way Song3, but after speaking with him I want to hear the Veracity ST, Super Charged ST, and the Song 3.

Good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9816 Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channellover View Post
I'm a newbie on this site and don't own any Salk Sound speakers but I'm seriously considering a pair. There are so many models with pricepoints staggered rather close together that I decided to call and get some clarity.

I was able to speak with Jim himself. He was fairly generous with his time and I did take some notes.

I can't answer your question fully, but I can say the effect on the sound with the more advanced drivers in the Super Charged ST and Veracity series speakers is centered around improved clarity, detail, transparency.

In the price point of the RT, I'm leaning more towards the 3way Song3, but after speaking with him I want to hear the Veracity ST, Super Charged ST, and the Song 3.

Good luck with it.
I'm planning on getting a pair of these this year to replace a set of Def Tech 8060ST's. Those 3 are on my short list, as well as the Veracity HT1-TL. I'm currently focused on those..
post #9783 of 9816 Old 02-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew76 View Post
I'm planning on getting a pair of these this year to replace a set of Def Tech 8060ST's. Those 3 are on my short list, as well as the Veracity HT1-TL. I'm currently focused on those..
Whatever I do end up buying I'm going to get the center channel to match as well and finally do the front 3 speakers right for HT.

I've heard the Revel F206 & 208. Both are nice speakers, but the 208 is a better 2.0 listening speaker imo and that's still at least 50% of my usage....I'm understanding the better subs (Rythmik, SVS, etc) out there are very musical and I'll look into that because I will buy a new sub as well, but I know I like a full range speaker with solid low end already.

The Martin Logan Motion 40 & 60 I just recently demoed...surprisingly the 40s sound better to me.

There are a few more speakers I want to hear, (Monitor G300, Golden Ear Triton 2, Kef R700/900) most of which I can hear locally, then try to get up to MI and hear the offerings from Salk that I mentioned.

Last edited by 2channellover; 02-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.

post #9784 of 9816 Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lurker here. I think I'm getting sucked into the happy vortex of Salk Sound.

I've been looking for speakers for primarily music listening, but also for TV and occasional movies. We recently moved and left all our speakers at the old house for the new owners (Mirage Omnisat system). Went to a BB with the wife, looking for bookshelves. The Magnolia room only had B&W to listen to so we started with a couple bookshelves and then added a sub and then listened (with our source material, Joan Osborne and Led Zeppelin) to 600 series towers. They sounded good, but none of the options blew me away. There was a noticeable difference in the different speakers, but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger since I at least wanted to research other options.

I don't recall my exact path to Salk, but I think I'm hooked before any listening or even seeing one in the flesh. I think I've read most of the reviews out there and have only reached 14 of these 327 pages. The information and passion of the folks here has factored into my enthusiasm. Its especially cool how Mssrs Salk and Murphy have given of their time to answer all manner of questions.

I suspect I would be thrilled with the SongBirds, but the STs and STRTs really have my interest. I love the idea of transparent, balanced sound. I love superior quality. I like the idea of maybe not needing a subwoofer. I love the idea of buying something once and being happy with it for a long long time. I love the ability to customize the speaker materials and finish. This could be key with the wife acceptance factor.

The room is ~17' x 30' x 9' ceilings, tile floors and not attenuation. The room opens to a kitchen behind the listeners. The speakers would be powered by a Marantz SR7200, rated at 130 W/channel at 6ohms. I sent a message to the Salk website, but have not yet received a response.

Thanks all.

Last edited by hearditontheX; 02-16-2017 at 06:15 AM.
post #9785 of 9816 Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearditontheX View Post

I don't recall my exact path to Salk, but I think I'm hooked before any listening or even seeing one in the flesh. I think I've read most of the reviews out there and have only reached 14 of these 327 pages. The information and passion of the folks here has factored into my enthusiasm. Its especially cool how Mssrs Salk and Murphy have given of their time to answer all manner of questions.

I suspect I would be thrilled with the SongBirds, but the STs and STRTs really have my interest. I love the idea of transparent, balanced sound. I love superior quality. I like the idea of maybe not needing a subwoofer. I love the idea of buying something once and being happy with it for a long long time. I love the ability to customize the speaker materials and finish. This could be key with the wife acceptance factor.

The room is ~17 x 30' x 9' ceilings, tile floors and not attenuation.

Thanks all.
If you appreciate quality and craftsmanship I would stay away from BB and definitely recommend Salk. Everytime I go into the BB soundroom I feel like I'm surrounded by overpriced plastic junk. Some speakers there aren't terrible, but when you do get Salks you won't be able to go back to BB again. Like a lot of owners say, their Salk speakers are the nicest piece of furniture in their house.

Based on the size of your room I wouldn't get the Songbirds. I would look at the Song3's if your budget allows. No matter what you get though they are great speakers.
post #9786 of 9816 Old 02-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I sent a message to the Salk website, but have not yet received a response.
I recall answering this yesterday. If you did not receive my response, please email me directly at jim @ salksound.com. I'll answer promptly.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9787 of 9816 Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
I recall answering this yesterday. If you did not receive my response, please email me directly at jim @ salksound.com. I'll answer promptly.

- Jim
Thank-you, Jim. For some reason it never showed in my inbox. I don't think I put the incorrect email, which should have shown as astrochex 06 @ gmail dot com. I will contact you at the provided email.

Thanks!

Paul
post #9788 of 9816 Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Whatever I do end up buying I'm going to get the center channel to match as well and finally do the front 3 speakers right for HT.

I've heard the Revel F206 & 208. Both are nice speakers, but the 208 is a better 2.0 listening speaker imo and that's still at least 50% of my usage....I'm understanding the better subs (Rythmik, SVS, etc) out there are very musical and I'll look into that because I will buy a new sub as well, but I know I like a full range speaker with solid low end already.

The Martin Logan Motion 40 & 60 I just recently demoed...surprisingly the 40s sound better to me.

There are a few more speakers I want to hear, (Monitor G300, Golden Ear Triton 2, Kef R700/900) most of which I can hear locally, then try to get up to MI and hear the offerings from Salk that I mentioned.
It's funny; I recently decided to replace my Def Tech center as well; Salk is on my shopping list. I also considered the Tritons; I've had enough of the "black sock" look, especially at that price point.

I have a pair of Hsu ULS 15 - MK2's in rosewood. Love them; great subs. Would highly recommend
post #9789 of 9816 Old 03-05-2017, 05:36 AM

I'm thrilled to report I am going to be getting a pair of Song3's. After reading the positive reviews here and on AudioCircle, seeing the gorgeous finishes and working with Jim, I am convinced this will be a lifetime purchase.

The WAF factor was extremely high as she was all in on the purchase. The fun part now will be choosing the finish. The console is rustic, the wood has grey, silver and tan tones, some of which are mimicked in the tile and paint. Some sort of black-ish baffle with contrasting sides and front are our initial thoughts.

I look forward to Jim's ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	2007961  

Last edited by hearditontheX; 03-05-2017 at 05:40 AM.
post #9790 of 9816 Old 03-05-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
I see yet another in the long line of very special finishes Jim and crew have produced... Coming soon, the Distressed Song 3!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9791 of 9816 Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
I'm thrilled to report I am going to be getting a pair of Song3's. After reading the positive reviews here and on AudioCircle, seeing the gorgeous finishes and working with Jim, I am convinced this will be a lifetime purchase.

The WAF factor was extremely high as she was all in on the purchase. The fun part now will be choosing the finish. The console is rustic, the wood has grey, silver and tan tones, some of which are mimicked in the tile and paint. Some sort of black-ish baffle with contrasting sides and front are our initial thoughts.

Congrats on the purchase...you will love them. The Song 3's are one of my favorite speakers to listen to. Keep us posted on the design.
post #9792 of 9816 Old 03-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Here's a better pic of the finish on the wood. This is going to be a very fun challenge!

Don't know why the pic went sideways, apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	2009129  
post #9793 of 9816 Old 03-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interested in how these come out. Would love a pair of speakers that look like that. If anyone can do it it's Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9794 of 9816 Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Jim is working with the pictures and has an idea based on a standard veneer. Excitement level is at 11.
post #9795 of 9816 Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hey, everyone. I'm looking to buy some bookshelf speakers for use with my Fisher 400c and I'm thinking of silks. Right now it's only hooked up to a Thorens 160, but that will eventually change with the addition of some sort of dac/music streamer combo. My main problem is that I have a small room so placement is tricky. It's basically 6' 6" by 8'6". How far do the silk's have to be from the back and side walls? Also, is anyone running them with tubes? Thanks!

post #9796 of 9816 Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Congrats! Admittedly I'm a little envious you've beat me to the punch, but my time will come...had to get the wife's new car 1st Now that I've done that, as soon as I recover from that down payment I can make a guilt-free purchase myself later this year.

The cosmetics are so amazing, but I haven't given that much thought yet...I'm wondering if I should upgrade the bass driver has I thought I heard one buyer do and he loved it...lol. I'm sure I will be more in tune with the finish as I draw closer.
post #9797 of 9816 Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Congrats! Admittedly I'm a little envious you've beat me to the punch, but my time will come...had to get the wife's new car 1st Now that I've done that, as soon as I recover from that down payment I can make a guilt-free purchase myself later this year.

The cosmetics are so amazing, but I haven't given that much thought yet...I'm wondering if I should upgrade the bass driver has I thought I heard one buyer do and he loved it...lol. I'm sure I will be more in tune with the finish as I draw closer.
Thanks! Funny you should mention upgrades, because I read over on AudioCircle that there are actually 3 versions of the Song3, but 2 are not listed on the website. As a result, I will be getting the version with the Accuton mid to replace the standard bamboo speaker.

This is going to be such a long wait...

Last edited by hearditontheX; 03-15-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #9798 of 9816 Old 03-15-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Funny you should mention upgrades, because I read over on AudioCircle that there are actually 3 versions of the Song3, but 2 are not listed on the website. As a result, I will be getting the version with the Accuton mid to replace the standard bamboo speaker.

This is going to be such a long wait...
Good deal...I think the version on the website is sort of the baseline to hit a pricepoint. Of course he's a custom guy so I would assume he's tweaked a lot of the models.

I'm sort of torn...I have 3-way B&W speakers now so I've drifted towards the Song3. After speaking with Jim about some of the differences of the speaker line, the accuracy of some of the drivers in the higher lines has me wanting the best of both worlds within a budget....we'll see.

Good choice on the mid I think and wish you the best on the speakers...keep us posted!
post #9799 of 9816 Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Salk Veracity HT2-TL w/RAAL in stunning medium Cherry finish

Just a heads up to anybody looking for a deal on great Salk speakers. Previous sale fell through, so these are available again (Link to classifieds below). I am 50/50 on just keeping them for dedicated 2.0 listening. However I did just make a big purchase from JTR so please buy them from me quickly before I take them off market...

Buy my awesome gear so I can buy more awesome gear! ...please...
Will get around to listing soon, PM me if interested: 6 month old, barely used Crest Audio CC4000 Amplifier, Crown XTI 2002 Amplifier, MiniDSP 88a with BM Plugin upgrade (UMIK-1 not included), 6 month old, barely used Emotiva Basx A-500 Amplifier
post #9800 of 9816 Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post
Just a heads up to anybody looking for a deal on great Salk speakers. Previous sale fell through, so these are available again (Link to classifieds below). I am 50/50 on just keeping them for dedicated 2.0 listening. However I did just make a big purchase from JTR so please buy them from me quickly before I take them off market...
I'm rather tempted to make a deal on these. I've wanted a pair of the Salk HT2-TL with RAALs for a very long time and I'm 20 miles outside Boston.
post #9801 of 9816 Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 AM

Update: A finish has been selected, it should look amazing!

I can't wait to follow the progress now. I will probably check by the hour.
post #9802 of 9816 Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
OP has been updated to fix broken links and picture URLs.

@hearditontheX - I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your custom Song3's!

Happy listening everyone.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #9803 of 9816 Old 04-17-2017, 10:38 AM

^ Thanks, Nuance!

Song 3 Accuton's are no longer hidden gems, http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3-A .
post #9804 of 9816 Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Are the woofers different in the picture at the top of page vs further down other than color?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #9805 of 9816 Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

We just updated our web site with three new models (one of which has been in production for a few months although we never "officially" announced it).

Song3-A

First up, the Song3-A. This is basically a Song3 with an upgraded Accuton midrange. Here are some pictures...

We will be showing this pair at AXPONA 2017 (April 21 - 23 in Chicago) in room 408 with Schiit Audio. We chose a white version of the Satori woofer for this design, although it is available in black as well. This speaker was done in Hawaiian koa with a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish. Here is a close-up...

Song3 Encore

Next up, we have the Song3 Encore. This version started with the new 9.5" Satori woofer. After Satori announced this woofer, we waited about six months for it to become available and picked up the first pair we could get our hands on.

As long as we were looking to utilize a new woofer, we thought we'd take a look at the new Eton midrange from Germany as well. We had heard a lot about this driver and all the reports turned out to be true. The cone material is magnesium, but Eton laser cut a series of holes in the cone and back-coat it to reduce cone resonance. It worked. Here is a a close-up of the midrange and tweeter...

Here is a picture of the speaker as a whole...

These were done in curly walnut with an espresso dye.

We will be introducing this model at AXPONA 2017 in the State Room on the Lower Level. We will be showing with Exogal, Wells Audio, Gingko Audio, Jack Bybee and Dana Cables.

SongSurround Plus

Finally, we have the SongSurround Plus. A customer described his ideal speaker and it sounded a lot like the PowerPlay Monitors we introduced to a positive reception at AXPONA last year. So we thought we should do a version of the same speaker, but with passive crossovers.

Here is a picture of the resulting speaker...

We'd love to have a pair of these to bring to AXPONA, but this is the first production pair we just finished for a customer. So we'll have to build another demo pair for a future show. All I can say is they sound almost exactly like the PowerPlay Monitors which we love.

Happy listening...

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9806 of 9816 Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Are the woofers different in the picture at the top of page vs further down other than color?
No difference other than color. We can do them either way.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #9807 of 9816 Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Adding up to quite a few different types of speakers Jim. The web page that you list the similar models together is quite informative. Even though a potential buyer needs to dig another layer to find more detail it makes for a great starting point to research a similar type...like floor standing towers.
post #9808 of 9816 Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is there gonna be a center channel made for the song 3-A?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9809 of 9816 Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 427
That Song3 Encore looks to be an Amazing speaker.

I'd love to hear how it sounds.

The design and component selection seems to be top shelf.

How is the crossover?
post #9810 of 9816 Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post
Is there gonna be a center channel made for the song 3-A?
Yes, there will be. I don't have any details to report at this time however.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page