The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #9841 of 9851 Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
So you want to stick with bookshelf speakers all the way around? What's your budget your 5 speakers and a sub? Or do you already have a sub?
Oh sorry I was responding to the wrong thread. Salk wise I like the Song Surround IIs. I have a sub yes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9851 Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I really like the sensitivity of the PSA because I would think they would sound fantastic at even lower level due to that efficiency. Am I wrong about that? Is my thinking flawed on that?
I don't know enough about speakers to really know. My gut reaction is wfficency would have less to do with low volume performance than other design aspects

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

Last edited by madhuski; 09-05-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #9843 of 9851 Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
There are many design trades that go into efficiency/sensitivity and Jim could discuss at length. As far as sound, the character or timbre should not change; higher sensitivity just means it takes less power to play louder. As long as distortion in the amp or speaker are not high enough to hear at your target volume then it does not matter. However, with higher-sensitivity speakers, you could purchase a lower-power AVR or amplifier and play at the same volume, or use the same amplifier and play louder (again as long as no limits are reached).
madhuski likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

post #9844 of 9851 Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I don't know enough about speakers to really know. My gut reaction is wfficency would have less to do with low volume performance than other design aspects
Ok thanks. I was just thinking this in my non engineering head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #9845 of 9851 Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Salk has so many models... how does one pick? Philharmonicaudio has basically one model per type/price point so easy to pick.
Someone said it already but a 10 minute conversation with Jim will go a long way towards helping you decide...I have a pair of 20 yr old B&W 804s that I was looking to upgrade. The only thing I pretty much knew was I preferred a 3 way speaker design. I demoed maybe 15-20 different speakers...Of those, I thought the Monitor Audio Gold 300 and the Revel F208 were the best speakers I heard within the budget I was trying to stay. Then I turned my focus to consumer oriented internet sites such as this and discovered the Salk/Philharmonic lines.

The Phil 3 is an amazing speaker, but it's just too much for my space. I called Jim and we talked for about 10-15 mins and I came away from that conversation highly interested in the Song3...As I got a little closer to being funded...the Song3-A and Encore were introduced...I spoke with Jim again salivating over the Encore...he said you have a pair 15" HSU subs already, I think the 3-A is the best fit for you, ultimately I ordered a pair Song3-As...based on the progress, we're probably 45-60 days from delivery now....hopefully.

The point is Jim is not going to try to sell you on something, I think he'll give you an honest opinion based on many factors, budget, room size, existing equipment, etc. and you do what you will with it.

Good luck.
Blacklightning likes this.
post #9846 of 9851 Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channellover View Post
The point is Jim is not going to try to sell you on something, I think he'll give you an honest opinion based on many factors, budget, room size, existing equipment, etc. and you do what you will with it...
I couldn't agree more. Jim is a solid guy who will give you his honest opinion.
post #9847 of 9851 Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Jim is a solid guy who will give you his honest opinion.
Indeed.

Boy...I hadn't been on this site in a while, but I wish I has seen your FS offer a month ago.

A friend of mine bought the last pair of "available now" STs w/Song Ctr that Jim had posted on his site...I was raving so much about my experience that he started looking around, he sent me a link to the page and I said call Jim TODAY! He did, and they were sold the same day. Now I'm ticked because he has his Salks before me!!!

Just kidding there...really happy for him, he loves them..

I'm locked in on the 3-A in natural curly Cherry with a Supercharged Song Ctr, but I will reach out to this other guy that has mentioned he's considering Salks. Idk how serious he is, but I will send him to your FS post

FWIW...my brother in law just bought a big house with huge (3200 sf) basement. We're now in a early stages of planning out his HT space in the basement...the room as studded now is about 22W x28L x 10H ceiling...he asked for my help, so if he lets me have control of the audio...I would never be able to get WAF in my house, but the JTR line would be high on my list for his basement HT room.
post #9848 of 9851 Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channellover View Post
...I will reach out to this other guy that has mentioned he's considering Salks. Idk how serious he is, but I will send him to your FS post.

FWIW...my brother in law just bought a big house with huge (3200 sf) basement. We're now in a early stages of planning out his HT space in the basement...the room as studded now is about 22W x28L x 10H ceiling...he asked for my help, so if he lets me have control of the audio...I would never be able to get WAF in my house, but the JTR line would be high on my list for his basement HT room.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm actually going JTR just due to buying a new house and my listening area is about 5X the size of the old one.

I highly recommend Jim Salk and his speakers to anyone who'll listen.
post #9849 of 9851 Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm actually going JTR just due to buying a new house and my listening area is about 5X the size of the old one.

I highly recommend Jim Salk and his speakers to anyone who'll listen.
JTR makes awesome speakers...a poster on another site was at one of the audio shows in CHI or somewhere, and heard the JTR HT setup and said everyone was blown away...nothing in the show compared. I'm primarily music...maybe 90%. Decent size room 17'x18x9' but I'm maxed out on the TV wall with 2 HSU sub, 2 racks, plus LCR.

Like I told my brother in law...while we are still at the studs in the room, you might need to do some sound proofing! You might need to do the same...You are heading towards a killer system!
irishluck73 likes this.
post #9850 of 9851 Old 10-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a set of SongTowers and a front ported SongCenter that I use roughly 75% for surround and stereo music and 25% for movies. I a replacing my LCD TV with a projector.

So, my question...

I have two placement options for the SongCenter: (1) about 18" up from the ground (any higher it will block some of the screen) or (2) get an acoustically transparent and mount at ear level, but behind the screen (this would also mean the center speaker would be closer to the wall than the FL and FR speakers.

So, which is this lesser of two evil options here?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9851 of 9851 Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Perhaps put them all behind an AT screen? If that is not an option, having the center at ear height is going to be much better, imo. Your avr's room correction should handle the (possible) bloom of bass for the center being closer to the wall.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
elee532 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page