8Likes

post #1081 of 9227 Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah - ah, what event? Oh...you mean the "Big Event..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 9227 Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

My Song Towers should be here Monday and I will be using my outlaw amp which is 200 per channel. Ready to let her rip

Sweeeeeeeeet!

post #1083 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted some photos over here of the Salk wedding event:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...;topicseen#new
post #1084 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim's daughter got married this weekend
post #1085 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Great pics, PAD. It looks like everyone had a blast. Congrats again to Jim, his family and his daughter. Marriage is the best!

post #1086 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

It was a great time. My wife and I were thrilled to participate.

Jim says he's beginning to catch up on orders. We can't have that! So let's stir up some more for the pile!!
post #1087 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ haha - LOL!

post #1088 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

It was a great time. My wife and I were thrilled to participate.

Jim says he's beginning to catch up on orders. We can't have that! So let's stir up some more for the pile!!

I just placed my deposit for 2 SongTowers, a SongCenter, and 2 SongSurround II's That should help add to the pile. Very excited to have my first REAL home theater, and I'm glad I waited to do it "right".

I also ordered an Epik Tower subwoofer, and this week my wife and I found a house to rent starting August 1st. My sub and speakers should be here just in time for move in!! I have a feeling my neighbors in this apartment wouldn't take too kindly to a subwoofer of such Epik proportions

Enough about that. I am really pleased to have found such a great vendor as Jim with a personal attention to detail, and a passion for the work he's doing. We're all very lucky to have this great pro along with Dennis on our side.

-Chad
post #1089 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I just placed my deposit for 2 SongTowers, a SongCenter, and 2 SongSurround II's That should help add to the pile. Very excited to have my first REAL home theater, and I'm glad I waited to do it "right".

I also ordered an Epik Tower subwoofer, and this week my wife and I found a house to rent starting August 1st. My sub and speakers should be here just in time for move in!! I have a feeling my neighbors in this apartment wouldn't take too kindly to a subwoofer of such Epik proportions

Enough about that. I am really pleased to have found such a great vendor as Jim with a personal attention to detail, and a passion for the work he's doing. We're all very lucky to have this great pro along with Dennis on our side.

-Chad

My neighbor is evil incarnate, I would love to have an Epik Conquest or 4.

Doug
post #1090 of 9227 Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Huh.. now we know the REAL reason the price went up on the ST's, Jim had a wedding to pay for!

Kidding aside, it looks like it was a great time, I wish them the best. Congrats Jim and family.
post #1091 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Driven View Post

My neighbor is evil incarnate, I would love to have an Epik Conquest or 4.

Doug

Funny you say that. The first 6 months I lived in my apartment I had to complain about my neighbor downstairs at least a dozen times for turning his subwoofer up past midnight. He still lives there, but they told him if I turned in one more complaint that he was going to get evicted

I really want some revenge say the last night I am in the apartment. If only I could somehow figure out if he was home, and no one else in the building was I know his subwoofer is NOTHING like an Epik.

I wanted a Conquest, but really wanted to keep my total budget around $5,000 for everything. I just purchased a used Denon AVR5800 a few months back for $650, and this keeps me under $5k in audio equipment.
post #1092 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

thirdeye - you've got the makings of an awesome system! I am in dyer need of a subwoofer, and if I had the money I'd also buy a Tower. I hear great things about that sub.

I am looking forward to your impressions of the ST's.

post #1093 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM

My Song Towers have landed. Santos Rosewood.I will post pics tomorrow. The sound is amazing right out of the box. Great detail and sound stage. I have never heard this before.Only gave it a quick listen with the demo disk, Patricia Barber , Eric Clapton , Shirley Horn and I can hear each instument individually instead of everything sounding like it is combined together . Definitely the sound I was after . I will post more and better impressions later instead of rushing this.
Jim, Thank you very much. the speakers are amazing and so is the wood work . I will be giving these speakers my word of praise for anyone looking for a new set of speakers and I will be having some guys over from the tri state area who have been waiting for these to arrive
post #1094 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Song Towers have landed. Santos Rosewood.I will post pics tomorrow. The sound is amazing right out of the box. Great detail and sound stage. I have never heard this before.Only gave it a quick listen with the demo disk, Patricia Barber , Eric Clapton , Shirley Horn and I can hear each instument individually instead of everything sounding like it is combined together . Definitely the sound I was after . I will post more and better impressions later instead of rushing this.
Jim, Thank you very much. the speakers are amazing and so is the wood work . I will be giving these speakers my word of praise for anyone looking for a new set of speakers and I will be having some guys over from the tri state area who have been waiting for these to arrive

Congrats, Evan! I too listened to Patricia Barber on the ST's when I first auditioned them. In fact, she was the very first artist I heard on them. Nice!

Enjoy those awesome speaks buddy!

post #1095 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Congratulations Evan, glad to hear that Jim's speakers continue to impress... And please do post some pictures... love that Rosewood.

Cheers
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-

post #1096 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Congrats Evan! Those speakers are worth the wait (IMO). Enjoy your new ST.
post #1097 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone hear both the Song Towers and Aerial Model 6's? a quick comparo maybe?
post #1098 of 9227 Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

I don't see those speakers in this comparison, but here is a really good head-to-head with several excellent ~$1,500/pair speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=floorstanding

-Chad
post #1099 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a Epic Tower with my HT2's. On 2 channel music I just use the HT2's but on Blu-ray concert discs I use the full surround mode and the Tower does blend in very well . I think it does a good job with music. I use an Onkyo 885 pre-amp set to pure audio for 2 channel and use Dolby Tru hd or DTS hd for surround music on blu-ray. I could not be happier with the sound . On second thought I will be happier when my Salk center gets here. Jim said it may ship late this week. Anyway I just wanted to let you people know that my Epic Tower has performed as expected for the last 8 months.Anyone who buys one will not be disappointed.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1100 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ I'd buy an Epik Tower if I had the money. What a cool subwoofer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

funkmonkey has heard the ST's and the Aerial 7B's, the 7's being better than the 6's. Funk, care to share?

post #1101 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM

I just received a reply from Jim. It looks like my Songs are getting packed up for shipment this week. I will share my experience as soon as they arrive.

Please note: I have a 621 square foot condo, so my listening area will be quite cramped. I'll have to place the towers against the wall on an angle (TV in the corner and speakers flanking it).

I have a Squeezebox Duet coming in, a 500GB NAS drive to support that and the Dead Can Dance SACD release is upcoming very soon. All in all it looks like a positive month!

Doug
post #1102 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the Dead Can Dance SACD release is upcoming very soon.

Doug

I ordered a few of these myself, I am excited to hear them. Did you order the whole set?
post #1103 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I ordered a few of these myself, I am excited to hear them. Did you order the whole set?

Yes, they are $159 for all 9 discs as long as you don't care about the fancy velvet box which about doubles the cost.

Doug
post #1104 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just received a reply from Jim. It looks like my Songs are getting packed up for shipment this week. I will share my experience as soon as they arrive.

Please note: I have a 621 square foot condo, so my listening area will be quite cramped. I'll have to place the towers against the wall on an angle (TV in the corner and speakers flanking it).

I have a Squeezebox Duet coming in, a 500GB NAS drive to support that and the Dead Can Dance SACD release is upcoming very soon. All in all it looks like a positive month!

Doug

Can a Squeezebox work with only a NAS and the SqueezeBox itself? I haven't read enough about the technology to know what you need. I'm wanting to set one up myself so this would be great information to have.

Could I also just use my dedicated computer?

What NAS device did you order? I'd be curious to know which one to order for simplicity's sake and cost-effectiveness. If someone else has already done the work for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Congrats on your SongTower purchase! Sounds like you are in the same boat I am with the apartment/condo. I just found a rental house to move into which has 1,200 sq. ft. and should be more suited to the full set of Song speakers and Tower subwoofer I just purchased

-Chad
post #1105 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Can a Squeezebox work with only a NAS and the SqueezeBox itself? I haven't read enough about the technology to know what you need. I'm wanting to set one up myself so this would be great information to have.

What NAS device did you order? I'd be curious to know which one to order for simplicity's sake and cost-effectiveness. If someone else has already done the work for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Congrats on your SongTower purchase! Sounds like you are in the same boat I am with the apartment/condo. I just found a rental house to move into which has 1,200 sq. ft. and should be more suited to the full set of Song speakers and Tower subwoofer I just purchased

-Chad

You can use a NAS so that you don't have to leave your computer running all of the time. If you prefer, there is a version of SqueezeCenter that you can run on your computer instead. I ordered a Netgear RND2150 ReadyNAS Duo 500 GB. The NAS support for the device appears to be a bit limited now, so you have to order specific brands/models that can run the application correctly. You can check out the forums on slimdevices.com and the forum here under Digital Media Servers and Content Streamers.

I plan on buying a house as soon as I sell my other house and the condo. I was hoping to get it done before I bought the speakers, but that didn't work out too well. You ordered the same exact build I did, with towers, center and surround IIs. It should make for an incredible setup.

Doug
post #1106 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

You ordered the same exact build I did, with towers, center and surround IIs. It should make for an incredible setup.Doug

Lemme get this straight. You're putting the towers, center, and two surround II's in that little condo? Sounds like adventures in lease breaking to me. Which I have no problem with. I don't think we've had any detailed reports on how a full complement of HT Songs sound, so it should be interesting.
post #1107 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:

-Chad

Congrats on the Song speakers to you and UT-Driven. I love my STs and SongCenter. Still waiting on the Surround I's.

I'm using a QNAP TS-109 with a 300 GB hard drive for my NAS. And using this with a Squeezebox Duet. You have to use SqueezeCenter 7.x with the Duet. There were a number of issues with SqueezeCenter 7.0. But 7.0.1 seems to have resolved most of these issues. QNAP/Duet are now running pretty smoothly with an occassional dropped wireless connection. You can also use your computer instead of a NAS with the Squeezebox.
post #1108 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Lemme get this straight. You're putting the towers, center, and two surround II's in that little condo? Sounds like adventures in lease breaking to me. Which I have no problem with. I don't think we've had any detailed reports on how a full complement of HT Songs sound, so it should be interesting.

Yes, that is correct. Offhand, the space will be around 9' wide x 12' long x 9' height. It is less than ideal for these speakers for sure. =)

The condo is a very open plan, the kitchen is next to this area, then my jacuzzi tub and bedroom (Condo is in a hotel and it used to be one of the honeymoon suites).

I own the condo so I won't break my lease, but choice words may be exchanged if I go too loud. My neighbor runs the bath at all hours and that sounds louder than most sound systems I have heard from neighbors.

I have a health collection of SACDs, DVD-Audio discs in addition to the CDs I am ripping for the SB Duet. I listen to a huge variety of music, so I can provide my comments on that subject.

Here is what I will be running with it:

Sony STR-DA3100 ES A/V Receiver (used as a pre for now)
5 Marantz MA-500 Monoblock amps
Oppo 980H Universal player - Analog outs
Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player (Optical, no advanced CODECs for now)
Sony 400 DVD Changer (Optical)

I plan on an Integra 9.8 or similar HDMI capable pre-pro or receiver eventually.

I will definitely take into account that the room is untreated and is much less than optimal both for size and speaker placement when I report back on it. I will be sure to add this to my comments if I hear anything that sounds unnatural.

Doug
post #1109 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Here are a couple of shots
LL
LL
LL
post #1110 of 9227 Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just found a rental house to move into which has 1,200 sq. ft. and should be more suited to the full set of Song speakers and Tower subwoofer I just purchased

-Chad

Congrats on the rental, Chad. I too rent a home and it's awesome!!

Evan - awesome looking speakers. I should have my pair in the next few weeks...I hope.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page