post #1172 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Well, I would like to spend more quality time with Jim (and Mary) ((OK, forget about Jim)), but my private jet won't be ready for months. It's a custom build job, and I bought it sight unseen. Why would anyone do that?

That seems almost as crazy as buying speakers unheard
post #1173 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Well, I would like to spend more quality time with Jim (and Mary) ((OK, forget about Jim)), but my private jet won't be ready for months. It's a custom build job, and I bought it sight unseen. Why would anyone do that?

LOL!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1174 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Well, I sure hope you like the sound! I'd feel terrible if you chose them without hearing them first based on my opinion. With that said, I have to throw up the advisory:

Just because I like the Song Tower's doesn't mean you all will. This is why I recommend that you always audition before you buy. If you can't, please don't base a purchasing decision off me or any other single person's opinion. I don't want to be responsible if you end up returning them. I'd feel terrible.

It's a little too late for the disclaimer! I & probably along with many others are holding you & funkmonkey responsible for those of us that are enjoying our ST. I would not have found out about Salk speakers if it wasn't for you two. Like many others, I also didn't have a chance to audition any Salk speakers before buying them. No regrets!
post #1175 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh yea..

Well, I picked my jet because over at the private jet forums some guy started a 2000 page thread discussing how he decided what jet to buy.. so I just got what he got.
post #1176 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Haha, my last response is even funnier (at least to me), considering I didn't notice the post directly above it until after I responded.
post #1177 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobot View Post

It's a little too late for the disclaimer! I & probably along with many others are holding you & funkmonkey responsible for those of us that are enjoying our ST. I would not have found out about Salk speakers if it wasn't for you two. Like many others, I also didn't have a chance to audition any Salk speakers before buying them. No regrets!

Well that is a relief. I am glad you're enjoying your ST's; all of you!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1178 of 9335 Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'm not going to post a disclaimer. I am glad to have helped anybody (in any way). I have received a ton of help around here during my search for speakers, and currently in my search for the electronics to drive them. Thanks to all of you that have helped me out in the past and future. If I am able to give something back to the collective, then that is awesome. It makes me feel good actually.

Unless, of course, you read my speakerquest, and Nuance's Journey threads and then decided to by some Salks, and didn't like them. In which case I would have to say, "Nuance did it! It's his fault!"

Nuance, buddy, I hope that one day in the distant future, Jim is able to retire a very rich man because of us! We may have to send him a winning lottery ticket to accomplish that, though, because this speaker building stuff is hard work!

Cheers, have a great weekend
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1179 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

"Nuance did it! It's his fault!"

I know that is my motto
post #1180 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Just put down my deposit for the Song Towers...the waiting begins... I'm using these for our secondary system in the cabana in our backyard. If they work out the next step may be to replace my definitive bookshelves/woofer/center in the family room with HT1's....
post #1181 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Nice way to "audition" egpaul, just set them up in a secondary system... I have a feeling you will be moving them into the family room before long, while you wait for your HT1's to arrive...

Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1182 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 AM

I'd actually prefer them in the main room, the problem is the whole wall around the TV is covered in cabinets and there's no practical way to set up floor standing speakers...though the cabinets are tall enough to hold the Song Towers....hmmmmmmm.....
post #1183 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Unless, of course, you read my speakerquest, and Nuance's Journey threads and then decided to by some Salks, an didn't like them. In which case I would have to say, "Nuance did it! It's his fault!"

Nuance, buddy, I hope that one day in the distant future, Jim is able to retire a very rich man because of us! We may have to send him a winning lottery ticket to accomplish that, though, because this speaker building stuff is hard work!

Cheers, have a great weekend
-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I know that is my motto

Have a great weekend guys!

egpaul - congrats man. I hope you love them.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1184 of 9335 Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I also bought my Song series speakers (they'll get here in about a month ) based upon the fact that Nuance and funkmonkey both listened to a LOT of speakers in their own individual threads, and separately came to the conclusion to purchase Salk speakers in the end. Also the floorstanding listening thread had multiple people that rated the SongTowers at least second among all the speakers they reviewed with the Rockets coming close behind or in front. The decision at that point came down to the fact I think the SongTowers EASILY win in the looks department, and my guess is the two speakers both offer great sound so my final decision in picking between working with AV123 and Salk was solely on looks.

Add in Jim Salk being a great guy to work with, and I don't think I would change the way I went about making this decision. All my friends are ready to come over for movie night when I get them and my Tower Man waiting for speakers sucks!
post #1185 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks Nuance! And congrats to you also Third eye... looks like you'll be both be proud owners soon
post #1186 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

I never heard the Song Towers ,but I went with the reviews and that my neighbor owns the HT 3's . Jim saod if i loved the HT 3's I would love the Song Tower because the upper range sounds the same

How can upper range sound the same between domes and ribbons?
post #1187 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

How can upper range sound the same between domes and ribbons?

It may have something to do with the crossovers that were designed for them . but just not the tweeters I think he meant the midrange clarity also
post #1188 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My guess is CABODHuK is spot on. The ribbons and dome tweeters likely sound quite different. Jim does design all his speakers with very detailed midrange though and starts there when he designs a speaker so my guess is the midrange on both speakers is very similar. Detailed, accurate, and revealing Either way I think you'll love the SongTowers. There are HT3 owners who wanted another pair of speakers from Jim and bought ST's and have been quite happy
post #1189 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Key word is mid. Less to do with the tweeters than the midrange drivers.
post #1190 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 04:05 PM

not to be redundant, but the songs and ht's are quite differant in the midrange area specifically due to the ribbon tweeter--while the the songs sounded just fine the difference between them and the ht2's were quite significant----i have heard speakers that sounded similiar to the towers but the ht2's had that wow factor that let me know i was listening to something very special and yes its all about the midrange----i am not a wealthy man by anyones definition and the auditioned faceoff has doubled my original price but i believe i will truely have a very special system for years to come thanks to all who led me to jim salk, who makes everyones choice a winning one

ht2's
htc
ht1's surrounds
2 mfw-15's
outlaw 7500 amp
outlaw soon to be released new processor( hopefully pre-christmas)
post #1191 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 178
[quote=greenhouseman;14185837]not to be redundant, but the songs and ht's are quite differant in the midrange area specifically due to the ribbon tweeter--while the the songs sounded just fine the difference between them and the ht2's were quite significant----i have heard speakers that sounded similiar to the towers but the ht2's had that wow factor that let me know i was listening to something very special and yes its all about the midrange [quote]

I guess it depends on how you define midrange. The crossover point on both the towers and HT2 is around 2500 Hz. That's more than two octaves above high C (the C above middle C) on the piano. So it's up there. The midrange would seem to cover a range more like 200Hz - 1000 Hz. Now it's true that fundamentals in that range will have harmonics above 2000 Hz. So the tweeter can still influence the midrange sound. But I think the crossover quality is much more important in that regard. It gives everything a sense of focus, including the midrange. Any advantages of a ribbon tweet are likely to have a greater influence in the highs above 8000 Hz or so. I'm not sure ribbons have any advantage at the lower end of their range. In fact, they may have more distortion.

I'm not saying you were imagining things. But if you were really attracted to the HT2's midrange, I think it was more a function of the very expensive magnesium W18 vs the much cheaper (but still excellent) CA15.
post #1192 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;14186172][quote=greenhouseman;14185837]not to be redundant, but the songs and ht's are quite differant in the midrange area specifically due to the ribbon tweeter--while the the songs sounded just fine the difference between them and the ht2's were quite significant----i have heard speakers that sounded similiar to the towers but the ht2's had that wow factor that let me know i was listening to something very special and yes its all about the midrange
Quote:

I guess it depends on how you define midrange. The crossover point on both the towers and HT2 is around 2500 Hz. That's more than two octaves above high C (the C above middle C) on the piano. So it's up there. The midrange would seem to cover a range more like 200Hz - 1000 Hz. Now it's true that fundamentals in that range will have harmonics above 2000 Hz. So the tweeter can still influence the midrange sound. But I think the crossover quality is much more important in that regard. It gives everything a sense of focus, including the midrange. Any advantages of a ribbon tweet are likely to have a greater influence in the highs above 8000 Hz or so. I'm not sure ribbons have any advantage at the lower end of their range. In fact, they may have more distortion.

I'm not saying you were imagining things. But if you were really attracted to the HT2's midrange, I think it was more a function of the very expensive magnesium W18 vs the much cheaper (but still excellent) CA15.

what he said
post #1193 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM

[quote=Dennis Murphy;14186172][quote=greenhouseman;14185837]not to be redundant, but the songs and ht's are quite differant in the midrange area specifically due to the ribbon tweeter--while the the songs sounded just fine the difference between them and the ht2's were quite significant----i have heard speakers that sounded similiar to the towers but the ht2's had that wow factor that let me know i was listening to something very special and yes its all about the midrange
Quote:

i knew it was probably a mistake addressing the midrange issue as i am a complete novice in the electronics field and to find out my observation was completely off base is very embarrassing--my only contention from here on out is that i perfer the ht2's for whatever the reason is that technically i am unable to explain-----thanks for the tutorial as i wish to learn as much as possible so that some day i might be able to converse on the correct level
post #1194 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhouseman View Post

not to be redundant, but the songs and ht's are quite differant in the midrange area specifically due to the ribbon tweeter--while the the songs sounded just fine the difference between them and the ht2's were quite significant----i have heard speakers that sounded similiar to the towers but the ht2's had that wow factor that let me know i was listening to something very special and yes its all about the midrange

i knew it was probably a mistake addressing the midrange issue as i am a complete novice in the electronics field and to find out my observation was completely off base is very embarrassing--my only contention from here on out is that i perfer the ht2's for whatever the reason is that technically i am unable to explain-----thanks for the tutorial as i wish to learn as much as possible so that some day i might be able to converse on the correct level

Don't sweat it bro, and please don't be embarrassed. I guarantee they didn't mean for it to come across that way. You liked what you liked and there is nothing at all wrong with that. If you felt the midrange was superior on the HT2's - cool. Maybe it really was for you. Either way, I am happy you found your dream speaker. I am very much looking forward to your impressions of them when you get them home on your own gear.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1195 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 178
i knew it was probably a mistake addressing the midrange issue as i am a complete novice in the electronics field and to find out my observation was completely off base is very embarrassing--my only contention from here on out is that i perfer the ht2's for whatever the reason is that technically i am unable to explain-----thanks for the tutorial as i wish to learn as much as possible so that some day i might be able to converse on the correct level[/quote]

Hi As I said--I'm not doubting you heard what you heard. And that's what's important. I was just trying to sort out which driver might be responsible. I've never been able to compare a stereo pair of HT2's with the ST's. So I really don't have any opinion on how they would do in an A-B. You've definitely got a leg up on me there.
post #1196 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 PM

greenhouseman- dude! You got ht2's!!!! What do you have to be embarrased about? Fact is, you heard a better speaker and jumped on them. Good for you!
post #1197 of 9335 Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM

I have a JL 113 fathom. Would I benefit in anyway from getting the ht3's over the ht1's? Or would the ht1's do the job fine since I am already good in the bass department?
post #1198 of 9335 Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM

I just read through the Salk thread and may have missed it, but here is my question.

I have a 30x30 room that is part of an open floor plan that includes the dining room and the kitchen. Will the ST put out enough DBs in this setup?
thx...Mike
post #1199 of 9335 Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm_mike View Post

I just read through the Salk thread and may have missed it, but here is my question.

I have a 30x30 room that is part of an open floor plan that includes the dining room and the kitchen. Will the ST put out enough DBs in this setup?
thx...Mike

Will you be sitting 20 feet away and hope for an intimate experience, then not many speakers would work for that. If you are concerned about the size of the room gobbling up dbs I wouldn't be too concerned with that except for the bass frequencies. With that large volume most speakers would need a sub to help keep the energy up. But we really need to know the room layout and what is the triangle you plan for listening in.

Also check this: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...oom+Dimensions
post #1200 of 9335 Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

If you ever need lots of power, you should consider line arrays. I know a few of amazing quality but dont wanna paste links into salk thread.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page