5Likes

post #1261 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post

How much do the Song Towers weigh? I couldn't find that spec on Salk's site..

About 50 lbs each, the package for 2 ST's weigh 105 lbs according to DHL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets97 View Post

I received my Song Towers yesterday. The speaker was beautiful, matching perfectly to my entertainment cabinet except one speaker got damage during the shipping (the packing box was crush; the speaker broke through the Styrofoam base leave the big dent on the top corner). Come to think about this, take Jim more than 2 months to build the speaker and only take a second from the careless delivery guy to ruin the whole thing.
Lucky enough for me, Jim let me hold on the speaker until he sends the replacement.

Oh man that sucks. Jim does such a great job packing the speakers that DHL must have really done a number on that one box. Glad, and not surprised, that Jim is taking care of you. Hope you are able to enjoy them starting tonight.
post #1263 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I received my Song Towers yesterday. The speaker was beautiful, matching perfectly to my entertainment cabinet except one speaker got damage during the shipping (the packing box was crush; the speaker broke through the Styrofoam base leave the big dent on the top corner). Come to think about this, take Jim more than 2 months to build the speaker and only take a second from the careless delivery guy to ruin the whole thing.
Lucky enough for me, Jim let me hold on the speaker until he sends the replacement.

I am very sorry to hear about the shipping issue. I just can't stand couriers anymore!! They just don't give a crap if packages get damaged or not. Jim will take care of you, though. He's a stand up guy.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1264 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about that....but on the flip side, it's certainly a testament to Jim's customer service. Hopefully the shipping gods will be kind to my ST's when they're delivered..
post #1265 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM

here is another shot guys
LL
post #1266 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Hey Rocket sorry to hear about your speakers. I am surprised with the way the speakers are packed
post #1267 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the damaged speaker. I had to loan the DHL driver my dolly so he could wheel the 100+ lbs box to my doorstep. It put a smile on his face when I showed up with the dolly.
post #1268 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Hey Evan, have you done a review on your ST? Did I miss it somewhere?
post #1269 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Soon , I have been working to much lately and I only get about 20 minutes when I get home to listen to them before having to deal with the home life
post #1270 of 9222 Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Rockets97- so sorry to hear about the shipping damage. It really breaks my heart every time I see a picture like that...

Evan- your set-up looks great.

herrydp- about the SongTower and Usher Be-718 comparo... I have heard both, and really liked them both. short answer would be that the mids are better on the ST's and they disappear into the room more. The Be-718's have more of a presence, and if I remember right they were a touch more crisp on the high end. Both excellent speakers. The price you mentioned is outstanding for a new pair of Ushers. Here are some links to my initial impressions of each:

Salk SongTower (second review down) vs. Usher Be-718 (about half way down the page) (a second listen to the Ushers can be found in round 12 of the same thread...

Cheers
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1271 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

They look amazing! Jim does such good work.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1272 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another question for ya'll ...

Has anybody listened to the Songtower's and the Dynaudio Focus series? I did talk to Jim this week, and really for me, it comes down between these 2 set-ups. Dynaudio Focus (starting /w 140's and 200c) or Salk Songtowers (starting with SongSurround I's and Songcenter). They are being driven with my pioneer elite tx-45 and an emotiva LPA-1 amp.

Thanks guys

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
post #1273 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

Another question for ya'll ...

Has anybody listened to the Songtower's and the Dynaudio Focus series? I did talk to Jim this week, and really for me, it comes down between these 2 set-ups. Dynaudio Focus (starting /w 140's and 200c) or Salk Songtowers (starting with SongSurround I's and Songcenter). They are being driven with my pioneer elite tx-45 and an emotiva LPA-1 amp.

Thanks guys

I haven't heard the focus series, but I've heard the Contours. Here is my review if you are interested.

In summary, I'd still take the Song Tower's. The Dyn's had an amazing tweeter; had wonderful sparkle, air and detail, though sometimes walking the line of neutral and a little bright. The midrange of the ST's reigned supreme, however. And since much of what we hear from our recordings fall into the midrange of the FR, this is what I put most of my focus on. Finally, the Dyn's are like $3500 new in comparison to the ST's starting price of $1700. For me, it's a no brainer. YMMV, though.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1274 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't even own Salk speakers, but I would give my fit and finish award to the SongTowers just from the pics in this thread and on the Salk site. I realize aesthetics are not everything, but for me they do play a role. I don't find Dyn Focus to be unattractive either, just the ST to be a fine piece of craftsmanship. Just my opinion of course.

-Michael
post #1275 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Hey Nuance when you auditioned the ST's how low would you say they went? I am guessing if one added 2 stereo subs they would be in 2ch heaven?
post #1276 of 9222 Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs View Post

Hey Nuance when you auditioned the ST's how low would you say they went? I am guessing if one added 2 stereo subs they would be in 2ch heaven?

I would definitely add a sub or two (stereo subs would be amazing), but I'd say they hit somewhere around 40Hz. The have really impressive bass considering those small drivers, but don't expect bass slam that will punch you in the chest or anything.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1277 of 9222 Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well my Veracity center channel ships today to go with my HT2's. It is the last piece of my setup for a while. I just put an Emotiva XPA2 and XPA5 into service. For the price these amps are hard to beat. My HT2's really sound good with the XPA2 amp. I now have plenty of reserve power. I am really looking forward to getting the center channel on line. I am in California so I should have it around Tuesday next week.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1278 of 9222 Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 AM

DiCecco...will be ordering STs and ST center...wil be running them with an EMO Lpa-7 and a HK 7200 as pre. Assuming from your post that you really think the Emotiva amps and Salk speakers are an exceptional combo?
post #1279 of 9222 Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

Well my Veracity center channel ships today to go with my HT2's. It is the last piece of my setup for a while. I just put an Emotiva XPA2 and XPA5 into service. For the price these amps are hard to beat. My HT2's really sound good with the XPA2 amp. I now have plenty of reserve power. I am really looking forward to getting the center channel on line. I am in California so I should have it around Tuesday next week.

Woohoo! Congrats, DiCecco!

Enjoy buddy.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1280 of 9222 Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

So you like the XPA series amps, huh? What other equipment did you have before to compare? Just curious because I might go that route (Not with the HT2's but with Songtowers) because of budget constraints - probably should post your answer in the emotiva owners forum or here if people don't mind too much.
post #1281 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Another HT2 owner. Cool. You do know that the Veracity center speaker was the inspiration for the HT2. Should be a seamless match.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #1282 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Hi, all. Wow, a 43-page thread!

I've tried to read as much of the thread as I can. I'm about to order a pair of V3s and join the Salk family. I have had my eye on these for quite a while, and now I'm ready to take the plunge!

I decided to go the custom route with some Makore wood that Jim suggested. I will be using these as a stereo setup in my home office. They will be replacing some ancient Yamaha NS-A240s. (I think the last straw was when the second speaker's grill fell off a few months ago and I lost the peg to put it back on.) These speakers are older than I am and have served their purpose quite well, but their time is up!

One question: I'm currently driving my Yamahas with a Denon AVR-2500 receiver. I picked it up for a song years ago. I emailed Jim, concerned that it wouldn't be able to drive these beautiful V3s that I'm buying. He said to try it anyway before I made any decisions to upgrade (wise idea.)

Then another thought occurred to me. I have a Denon AVR-2801 downstairs in an HT setup. I want to swap it for a new AVR-3808CI since I am using the TV to switch HDMI right now. Would the AVR-2801 do these justice?

Please note that, due to limited space in my home office, I don't want to go with a pre-amp+amp setup.

Assuming these speakers turn out well (and I have every reason to believe I will be blown away by them!) I will upgrade my HT setup downstairs as well.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have regarding a good stereo receiver.

-Erica
post #1283 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

Do those spikes directly on hardwood floors do any damage, especially with a heavy tower like the songtower?
post #1284 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo View Post

Do those spikes directly on hardwood floors do any damage, especially with a heavy tower like the songtower?

For hardwood floors, I would put a nickle under each spike. That should cost you all of 40¢. I have seen gold-plated brass floor protector discs at several dollars each, but I doubt if there will be any audible difference between them and the nickles .
post #1285 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo View Post

Not if they just sit there.

In my case I keep moving the speakers to where they sound good and my wife comes behind me and moves them to where they look good. Not to good for the wood floors.

To make our fight over speaker placement more bearable to each of us and the floor, I purchased Conecoasters at http://www.soundanchors.com/page20.html. They match the color of the spikes and glide for easy movement of the speakers.
post #1286 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
Magic sliders work great, are only $7 for a set of 4, and they come in all sizes and shapes. My speakers weigh 180lbs each and they slide with one finger:
LL
LL
post #1287 of 9222 Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Congrats on the V3s Erica! (assuming you actually place your order...) I heard the HT3s driven by a Yamaha receiver and they sounded good enough to convince me to spend more than twice my planned budget to get them. I think you will be okay, until you feel the need to upgrade electronics. plus there are many options for cheap wattage. Make sure you check out Audiogon...

Cheers
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1288 of 9222 Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

So what is the main difference between the V3 and HT2? They seem to be in the same price range. Which is the better speaker for music?
post #1289 of 9222 Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi The HT3 is definitely more expensive, due to woofer and midrange costs. The idea was to get as close as possible to the HT3's frequency range at a lower price. If you could afford either the HT3 or the V3, and value the deepest possible bass response, then the HT3 is the way to go. From 100 Hz up, I think the choice would be personal preference. They don't sound identical, because they use very different midrange drivers. The V3 uses a smaller titanium unit that has very broad dispersion. As a result, the perspective is a little closer up on the V3. I've compared them many times trying to determine which was "right" or which I preferred, but all I could conclude was that they were a little different. I did adjust the crossover to account for the broader dispersion, but you can't compensate entirely, and probably wouldn't want to.
post #1290 of 9222 Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi The HT3 is definitely more expensive, due to woofer and midrange costs. The idea was to get as close as possible to the HT3's frequency range at a lower price. If you could afford either the HT3 or the V3, and value the deepest possible bass response, then the HT3 is the way to go. From 100 Hz up, I think the choice would be personal preference. They don't sound identical, because they use very different midrange drivers. The V3 uses a smaller titanium unit that has very broad dispersion. As a result, the perspective is a little closer up on the V3. I've compared them many times trying to determine which was "right" or which I preferred, but all I could conclude was that they were a little different. I did adjust the crossover to account for the broader dispersion, but you can't compensate entirely, and probably wouldn't want to.

What about between the V3 and HT2?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page