Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

From what I gather using my current Onyko 875 + Velodyne CT-120 Sub

+

SongTower QWT @ 1695.00
SongCenter (x3 same as rears correct?) @ 695 each

Total = $3780 +shipping

Would be a kick-ass 5.1 system?

For surround speakers, Salk has two of them available in the Song series. The SongSurround I starts at $895/pair & the SongSurround II starts at $1495/pair. I think that the SongCenter is about the same size of the SongSurround II. I'm not sure on the differences between the SongCenter & the SongSurround II in performance & SQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 9207 Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobot View Post

For surround speakers, Salk has two of them available in the Song series. The SongSurround I starts at $895/pair & the SongSurround II starts at $1495/pair. I think that the SongCenter is about the same size of the SongSurround II. I'm not sure on the differences between the SongCenter & the SongSurround II in performance & SQ.

The Salk website specifically mentions that they are the same speaker.

-Chad
post #1353 of 9207 Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobot View Post

Hi The SongSurroundII and the SongCenter are one and the same speaker. Obviously, the SurroundII is intended for very high output systems in large rooms. In normal applications, the less expensive SurroundI would seem more than adequate.
post #1354 of 9207 Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Need a gallery of Salk speakers other than the Salk site anyone know where theres good pic's of the Salk surround or other pics beside searching this thread?
post #1355 of 9207 Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Need a gallery of Salk speakers other than the Salk site anyone know where theres good pic's of the Salk surround or other pics beside searching this thread?

You might try Audio Circle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=82.0
post #1356 of 9207 Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Well I forgot that the SongCenter and SongSurrounds weren't even on Jim's website 4 months ago (at least not in photos/spec/info) so that would explain some of the time it's taken for you to receive the product. Anytime you're one of the first production runs it's obviously going to take longer. I certainly hope it doesn't take me that long to get my speakers I already have my Epik Tower subwoofer and can't imagine putting it next to my homebuilt Ed Frias bookshelf speakers. I think it would just overpower them without even working up a sweat.

I feel your pain.... I think I'm probably one of the first to order the ST with the ribbon tweeter, but I have a feeling it's going to be well worth the wait!
post #1357 of 9207 Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egpaul View Post

I feel your pain.... I think I'm probably one of the first to order the ST with the ribbon tweeter, but I have a feeling it's going to be well worth the wait!

great
post #1358 of 9207 Old 07-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Can any one post or point me to a picture of V3s with grilles on?

Also, when will the V series surround info be available?
post #1359 of 9207 Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

Can any one post or point me to a picture of V3s with grilles on?

Also, when will the V series surround info be available?

ARe there grills? I don't recall having them but maybe they use the magnet system.

No V series surrounds have been designed yet. I am close to ordering a pair though which will make that happen. I am trying to decide between full range or just the upper 2 drivers for mine.
post #1360 of 9207 Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

ARe there grills? I don't recall having them but maybe they use the magnet system.

No V series surrounds have been designed yet. I am close to ordering a pair though which will make that happen. I am trying to decide between full range or just the upper 2 drivers for mine.

Grilles are listed as an option in the V3 specs/options list window on Jim's site. Although I would play them without grilles most of the time if/when I order them, I want grillles to protect drivers from the dog or visiting little ones. (Stilll paying off some med bills, hopefully, I can get serious on a discussion/order w/ Jim in the next 60 days or so.)

I'm mostly curious on the surrounds for later on. The bigger issue for me would be a matching center channel thats smaller than the V monster w/o side firing ports, In a PM I asked Dennis his thoughts on using a single HT2 monitor, laid horizontallly with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees as a center channel. He said he was testing something similar but did not have a definitive answer.
post #1361 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:

In a PM I asked Dennis his thoughts on using a single HT2 monitor, laid horizontallly with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees as a center channel. He said he was testing something similar but did not have a definitive answer.

Sounds interesting....please keep us posted on any developments. A big center is a problem for more than a couple people who use a family room as their listening area.
post #1362 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM

SongTowers for sale on Audiogon if anyone is interested.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1221924622
post #1363 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

That asking price is waaaay to high for used speakers.
post #1364 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM

You know I was thinking... would this be total overkill for a medum size living room?

SongTower QWT @ 1695.00

Total = $3780 +shipping

I can't play anything at near reference volumes.. Should I go with a more affordable setup?
post #1365 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I think $1,400 would be a fair price. You have to consider that you don't have to endure the wait time which I am sure is worth something to most people.
post #1366 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

At most these speakers are what, 6 months old? Probably less. Despite what you think about used products and what they are worth, this is a product that is in high demand right now, with limited supply, and these look to be 'like new'. If I know anything about people that take care of their items like me, it's that their items stay 'like new' for years. I wouldn't pay $1600 either, but the post does say obo.

My guess is these are worth at a minimum $1,250, and at maximum $1,400. Shipping charges would be on top of this of course. If I could pick up a special veneered Song Tower for $1,300 plus shipping, not have to wait, and save 33% off the new price I'd be extremely pleased.
post #1367 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM

idiotec Hell I'll buy them today for $1250!
post #1368 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:

idiotec Hell I'll buy them today for $1250!

Good to know by mine are NOT for sale!
post #1369 of 9207 Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM

I think people mistakenly assumed that the pair on audiogon belongs to Idiotec...
post #1370 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:

You know I was thinking... would this be total overkill for a medum size living room?

SongTower QWT @ 1695.00

Total = $3780 +shipping

I can't play anything at near reference volumes.. Should I go with a more affordable setup?

I don't think they would be overkill even for a small room if you fancy (spent the weekend with my British nephew and nieces.lol) the sound. Heck, I'm putting mine in a Japanese living room, and although it is big by Japanese standards, it is not so big compared to what most people have around here. From all reports, these speakers sound great at low/medium volume, so if you like the sound, you are good to go.

These are not huge speakers and won't need a ton of breathing room to sound good. They don't seem to be too placement sensitive too from all the reviews I've read, so we should be fine with limited space.
post #1371 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post

I think $1,400 would be a fair price. You have to consider that you don't have to endure the wait time which I am sure is worth something to most people.

I agree. It's not a great price, but it is fair considering the wait time involved in getting them new, and they have a custom finish.

Although, one of the fun things about getting speakers from Jim is that you can get him to finish them anyway you want, so buying new has it's advantages.
post #1372 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

"These are not huge speakers and won't need a ton of breathing room to sound good."

Right. I don't think the issue is sound output and room size. The question is much more whether bob thinks he will value the particular sonic qualities of the ST enough to justify the expense. I can't answer that queston. I just don't want anyone to think that the ST's have, say, such prodigious bass output or some other characteristic that would render them unsuitable for a small room.
post #1373 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM

Dennis, can you review my post #1360 above and make any comment on an alternative center channel design for the V3s?
post #1374 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dennis, can you review my post #1360 above and make any comment on an alternative center channel design for the V3s?

Well, I have been waiting for PAD to decide on a 2-way vs. 3-way. One possibility would be to use two of the 5" Visaton aluminum drivers with the lcy ribbon. That wouldn't require a very large box if you don't need deep bass response. I sure like my big hog V3 center, though. It's quite a conversation piece.
post #1375 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

I have heard PAD's V3s and HT3s. He has good ears/taste so I would likely be very satisfied with what you two come up with. But I am curious, he already has the V monster center.
PAD, Whats up with wanting a smaller V center? Your home theater is pretty darn amazing as is?

Edit: I don't have space for the V Monster in my center cabinet and putting it out front of it is a no go per the wife. I do have an HSU VTF 3 that I can keep in the corner of the room, outboard of the main speakers. Please email or PM me when you and PAD make some final decisions. Thanks
post #1376 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

HI Depending on which way PAD goes, I thought it might be possible to double up on the center and surrounds, like Jim has done with the SongCenter and SongSurroundII. PAD doesn't want a smaller center. Real men don't downsize center channels.
post #1377 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Real men don't downsize center channels.

HA!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1378 of 9207 Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have heard PAD's V3s and HT3s. He has good ears/taste so I would likely be very satisfied with what you two come up with. But I am curious, he already has the V monster center.
PAD, Whats up with wanting a smaller V center? Your home theater is pretty darn amazing as is?

Edit: I don't have space for the V Monster in my center cabinet and putting it out front of it is a no go per the wife. I do have an HSU VTF 3 that I can keep in the corner of the room, outboard of the main speakers. Please email or PM me when you and PAD make some final decisions. Thanks

Never said I wanted to change my center. I am not sure if I want full range surrounds or 70 hz and up versions. I'm thinking full ranges for the sides and smaller versions for the backs. I have no issues reconstrucint my surround columns to accomodate the speakers. I need a 3 way teleconference with Jim and Dennis to get this going.
post #1379 of 9207 Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

HI Depending on which way PAD goes, I thought it might be possible to double up on the center and surrounds, like Jim has done with the SongCenter and SongSurroundII. PAD doesn't want a smaller center. Real men don't downsize center channels.

Gee, Dennis, what a saleman you are! If what you say is true, then there are a whole lot of married men who are no longer real men. In my bachelor days, I could have added a couple more concrete blocks and longer 2X8 boards to my "rack" to accomodate the V Monster. That just won't work now.
post #1380 of 9207 Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Never said I wanted to change my center. I am not sure if I want full range surrounds or 70 hz and up versions. I'm thinking full ranges for the sides and smaller versions for the backs. I have no issues reconstrucint my surround columns to accomodate the speakers. I need a 3 way teleconference with Jim and Dennis to get this going.

Please keep me/us posted on how this is going. Thanks
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page