post #1621 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Speaking of pics, I will be posting pics and a mini review soon. Jim is going to post the first pics along with an introduction of sorts for the LCY SongTower's. After his post I'll let it all out.

Can we place a shotclock on Jim's post? He seems pretty busy lately and I wonder when he will get to this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

^ Yep, those. Rosewood. The seller vetted out well, too. I came this close >< to snapping 'em up this morning!! But finances....

The explanation for the sale is here: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...&topic=58893.0

They would look petty good in my living room. Of course, I'd have to tweak the crossover--these internet direct companies almost never get it right.
post #1623 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

The explanation for the sale is here: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...&topic=58893.0

They would look petty good in my living room. Of course, I'd have to tweak the crossover--these internet direct companies almost never get it right.

That is funny, Dennis!
post #1624 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The other funny part is that he predicted exactly when (and with what) he would replace them!
post #1625 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Wow - good one! That one threw me for a loop for a minute. Ha!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1626 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Chad

Thanks for all those photos. That curly maple looks great. Jim selects top quality veneers. All but the cheapest veneers show a nice wood grain, but only the better quality ones have both the grain and the curliness. Jim's finishing really makes the curliness pop.

I also found it hard to get good photos of that. I tried daylight and flash and found that flash combined with bright daylight worked the best on my cherry STs. I just noticed today that my photobucket links are dead. I'll have to repost them.

How did you ever get that carton in or out of your car?
post #1627 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Liked: 10
Well, I've been going back and forth about getting the STs and a Song Center but just couldn't resist the HT2s for sale. Pulled the trigger on them a few minutes ago.

Now, all I need is for all you audiophiles that helped feed this addiction to help me figure out a way to use the third HT2 as a center channel. My tv stand is 64"x19"x21"...so, theoretically I could lay it on it's side on the lower shelf but that sure seems awkward. Putting it immediately to the right or left of the stand doesn't seem tenable either.

Any suggestions?

Btw - I started this upgrade journey a long time ago and have researched dozens of speakers but the feedback on this forum gave me a lot of confidence in this decision. I originally stumbled across the Salks from Funkmonkey and Nuance's threads about their search for the perfect speaker...got additional feel for them from e-mailing Jim and following the reviews from the 2 Salk sites. Greenhouse, thanks for the comparison info.
post #1628 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

You guys bugged me enough that I took a boatload of pictures tonight. Started with taking pictures of the boxes themselves, and then the plinths before install, and of course I tried to get close ups, all angles, samples of the wood themselves. Some of these pictures FINALLY do justice to the SongSeries speakers.

Over 50 pictures here I think I can claim the largest single online collection of one set of Salk Song speakers published

Check them out guys! Let me know what you think:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ironcross/SalkSpeakers

I should mention that in person these still DO look better than any pictures I could take of them. The curly maple has an almost 'irridescent' or pearlescent finish to them. Really spectacular. For a standard finish Jim has really outdone himself. I do think though that these pictures begin to show what these speakers are really about.

-Chad

I can't get picasa to load the pictures! Argh! Anyone want to post a couple on the forum??
post #1629 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post

Well, I've been going back and forth about getting the STs and a Song Center but just couldn't resist the HT2s for sale. Pulled the trigger on them a few minutes ago.

Now, all I need is for all you audiophiles that helped feed this addiction to help me figure out a way to use the third HT2 as a center channel. My tv stand is 64"x19"x21"...so, theoretically I could lay it on it's side on the lower shelf but that sure seems awkward. Putting it immediately to the right or left of the stand doesn't seem tenable either.

Any suggestions?

You got a great deal. Since your set up is not ready for a full size center (most aren't), I'd suggest selling the third and buy a dedicated Salk center. It may be hard to sell one lone speaker, but maybe you can afford to sell it cheap and still have a good overall set up for a great price. Or, another idea, send the drivers to Jim and have him use them in a new center.
post #1630 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godawgs5 View Post

I can't get picasa to load the pictures! Argh! Anyone want to post a couple on the forum??

Try these. I picked a select few. These are lower res than the Picasa album because AVS resized them.
LL
LL
LL
post #1631 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareakirk View Post

Or, another idea, send the drivers to Jim and have him use them in a new center.

He might do it, but might not. He's such a nice guy he probably will. Personally as a speaker builder in the business making margin and having orders that are overflowing coming in the door already I think this would be hard for me to take on.

Like I said though Jim is a super nice guy, and will probably try to accomodate you somehow.
post #1632 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Do you guys think there is any way to modify the existing cabinet to have it serve as a center w/o changing the sonic signature?

Of course I guess I can still get the Song Center and try to get it in Rosewood.
post #1633 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:

He might do it, but might not. He's such a nice guy he probably will. Personally as a speaker builder in the business making margin and having orders that are overflowing coming in the door already I think this would be hard for me to take on.

Like I said though Jim is a super nice guy, and will probably try to accomodate you somehow.

Yea, I'm not sure it's a great idea (of mine) to send the drivers to Jim. After you factor in the cost of shipping drivers and consider that building the box is a big part of the overall expense, it may not save much money? And then, as you say, only if Jim was up for it.
post #1634 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Btw - I started this upgrade journey a long time ago and have researched dozens of speakers but the feedback on this forum gave me a lot of confidence in this decision. I originally stumbled across the Salks from Funkmonkey and Nuance's threads about their search for the perfect speaker...got additional feel for them from e-mailing Jim and following the reviews from the 2 Salk sites. Greenhouse, thanks for the comparison info.

Many congrats, Hammer. I'm really really jealous. We'd better get a thorough review, now.

I'm with the group that says try to sell the one and buy a center. That was also a concern of mine and kept me from buying. That said...they were at a really good price for just TWO of them!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #1635 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thor,
Patience Grasshopper
Unless Jim says he can do something with that center, I would just hang on to it.
Your setup may change sooner than you think plus you haven't even got the speakers yet.
See what happens when you set them up.
I think the chances of selling the center are remote at best unless Dennis needs a dedicated mono speaker.
BTW, my friend, you got the deal of the year.
I've had 3 HT2s for a long time and they are beautiful little speakers.
You'll love'em!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #1636 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try these. I picked a select few. These are lower res than the Picasa album because AVS resized them.

Nice, nice, nice. You all realize of course that with all this positive pub, we're going to turn Salk Sound into a major, monolithic company obtaining fabulous sales and with typical customer service issues.

Nah, J/K...the CS will remain the same but order turnaround time might get a little unwieldy.

Hey Jim, when your name gets mentioned along side those famous in the bidness, you'll have deserved it!

Hmmm...If I squint my eyes a little, I can see it all now.... Salk International, Dennis Murphy, VP North American Division. (Ferrari or Lamborghini, Dennis?)

MARGARITAS,
post #1637 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thors

Congratulations, great deal!!

Have you given thought to using it as a surround?? You could always get Jim to make you a 4th to match and add the HTC Center if unable to use the HT-2 as a center.

I'd call Jim if the above doesn't fit and see what he can do with the other speaker for a center.

Don't get the Songcenter, get the HTC to match drivers of the HT-2.

Just my thoughts
Mark
post #1638 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Patience...I agree, once I get them and set it up I will probably find a way to work it in. I'm running a 5.1 now...maybe I could use the third HT2 as a merged 6/7 in a 7.1 and get the HTC.

Golf - that is probably exactly what I'll do in the long run.

All I know is I can't wait to get them set up...my system is just good enough now that I know what I am missing and I'm really looking forward to hearing what the real deal is for the first time.
post #1639 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ThorsHammer - congrats! What a great deal you got!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1640 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope my posting was of some service.

MARGARITAS,
post #1641 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Nuance
The shotclock is counting down....tic tic tic.
post #1642 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

Nuance
The shotclock is counting down....tic tic tic.

I am waiting for Jim to post. Hopefully he does it soon. If not then I'll give you some teaser pics.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1643 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Pics posted in my "journey" thread. I'll wait on the rest of the pics until Jim has posted. Good night all.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1644 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

You know, Funk...it's because of you that I didn't. Why? I'll tell you why. You have me sold on the HT3's!! (Well...that AND finances.) Now it's just a matter of me saving up my Pepsi cans for the next 7 years......

(I didn't post the link cuz I wasn't sure it was permitted. I guess it is!)

The HT3s are really something special, my friend. Just wait till you hear them!!! Now that Nuance has made me more than a little jealous, I am even more anxious! It's only a matter of time... Keep your eyes peeled on A-gone and AudioCircle, every so often a pair of HT3s come up for sale. Okay I've only seen one pair in the last year for sale, but that's "every so often," right?

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1645 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys bugged me enough that I took a boatload of pictures tonight. Started with taking pictures of the boxes themselves, and then the plinths before install, and of course I tried to get close ups, all angles, samples of the wood themselves. Some of these pictures FINALLY do justice to the SongSeries speakers.

Over 50 pictures here I think I can claim the largest single online collection of one set of Salk Song speakers published

Check them out guys! Let me know what you think:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ironcross/SalkSpeakers

I should mention that in person these still DO look better than any pictures I could take of them. The curly maple has an almost 'irridescent' or pearlescent finish to them. Really spectacular. For a standard finish Jim has really outdone himself. I do think though that these pictures begin to show what these speakers are really about.

-Chad

Those look great Chad! I especially like the one with the reflection of your wife sound asleep on the couch while you admire your new toys...

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1646 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Those look great Chad! I especially like the one with the reflection of your wife sound asleep on the couch while you admire your new toys...

Yeah I told her about that and she said "what you don't want me in your picture?!" so I left it!

Thanks so much for the compliments. They're absolutely stunning.

I do have some new comments to add. As you can see from my photos the center is mounted above my TV, but even angled downward somewhat the center in my opinion should NOT be placed above the TV. It sounds muffled and somewhat nasal up there. I'm going to find a center speaker stand that's angled slightly upward and put it below my TV as I have plenty of space.

When I stood up and listened to the center speaker though I can tell you that it is VERY good and warmer/fuller than I would have thought. I was quite impressed with how full voices sounded from the SC. Once I get it properly placed it will sound even better

-Chad
post #1647 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?

WhooHoo! Nice grab, ThorsHammer! I haven't heard 'em but there is no doubt that they sound amazing! As far as doing the center channel thing... In your current situation, the only thing I can think of is to have Jim make a single HT2 and a HTC for you, and go 5.0 (or .1) Or hang on to it until you get the acoustically transparent projection screen installed

Congratz

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #1648 of 9305 Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

WhooHoo! Nice grab, ThorsHammer! I haven't heard 'em but there is no doubt that they sound amazing! As far as doing the center channel thing... In your current situation, the only thing I can think of is to have Jim make a single HT2 and a HTC for you, and go 5.0 (or .1) Or hang on to it until you get the acoustically transparent projection screen installed

Congratz

Completely agree here, and those are exactly the 2 suggestions I had
post #1649 of 9305 Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 152
[quote=thirdeye11;14539543]Yeah As you can see from my photos the center is mounted above my TV, but even angled downward somewhat the center in my opinion should NOT be placed above the TV. It sounds muffled and somewhat nasal up there.

I'm a little surprised by that. MTM's like this have very even dispersion (particularly with small drivers) above and below if the cabinet is mounted on its side. It's the lateral dispersion that get's rocky. And, of course, it's the opposite situation if the cabinet is mounted in a standing position. I know that with the ST (standing), you can listen from an extreme side and it will still sound open, while other speakers are muffled. I'm not sure what's going on with your center. Maybe when you're sitting down the angle is more extreme that it looks. I dunno.
post #1650 of 9305 Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;14541189]
Quote:

Yeah As you can see from my photos the center is mounted above my TV, but even angled downward somewhat the center in my opinion should NOT be placed above the TV. It sounds muffled and somewhat nasal up there.

I'm a little surprised by that. MTM's like this have very even dispersion (particularly with small drivers) above and below if the cabinet is mounted on its side. It's the lateral dispersion that get's rocky. And, of course, it's the opposite situation if the cabinet is mounted in a standing position. I know that with the ST (standing), you can listen from an extreme side and it will still sound open, while other speakers are muffled. I'm not sure what's going on with your center. Maybe when you're sitting down the angle is more extreme that it looks. I dunno.

Maybe so. I was surprised as well.

BTW Dennis, why do your quotes always come out messed up? Dont you just hit the "quote" button on the individual post when you are quoting?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page