Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #211 of 9206 Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
That's a tricky question. A front-firing 2-pi design like the ST is just not going to sound like your Mag's. Your current speakers probably have a more diffuse sound, with perhaps a greater sense of depth. The ST's, I suspect, will sound more focused, with perhaps more detail on instruments like brass. I doubt that either speaker would be grating over the long haul. This is one case where you would have to hear for yourself. You could always return the ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 9206 Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Jim, You could charge $2495 per pair for the SongTowers, and they would still be a bargain. They are just plain fantastic !

BYTE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
post #213 of 9206 Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Elee532,

Dennis is exactly right. Many years ago, I decided to listen to three distinctly different types of loudpspeakers. One was the Maggies (not sure model, it was a long time ago), the second was the Thiels and finally Martin Logans. Each was different. Maggies had, as Dennis said, a very diffuse sound and I thought for me it was a little too diffuse. The Thiels were more pinpoint soundstaging but also lacked some of the airiness (spelling?) of the Maggies. The Martin Logans were more in the middle retaining the airiness but not quite as big a soundstage. I ended up with the Martin Logans. After awhile, I felt they lacked the dynamic range of the more traditional front firing speakers and I ended up buying some Snells (althugh they did have a rear firing tweeter that could be turned on and off). I also felt the integration of the bass module with the electrostic panel was lacking in the Martin Logans. In fairness, the room I was using the Martin Logan's at the time was small.

Many people, once they go to a speaker such as the Maggies and Martin Logans never go back, but others, like myself, don't want to let go of some of the qualities of more traditional speakers. As Dennis says, you will have to probably listen for yourself.
post #214 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Hey everyone -
Bayareakirk recently sent me a question about the coasters that I'm using under my ST spikes. I decided to post the link in case anyone else was interested. They match nicely with Jim's spikes and are designed with good sound in mind.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page20.html

Cone Coasters
post #215 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM

I just talked with Jim on the phone and I'm really pumped now. I'm ordering ST's and SC in cherry with a light brown stain. I let me wife input on the finish only and the rest of the system is for me only. We compromised with the cherry and I'm sure Jim will make it beautiful.

So I'm thinking I'll be the first in Japan to have some of Jim's speakers. Not positive, but I think it's likely. I work on a military base and Jim has no problem using the Post Office to ship to me. It's hard to find places that will ship to the military, so that is a huge plus for how he does things.

I'm replacing AV123 X-series with these. I've enjoyed the x-series immensely, but I NEED something more. I'm hoping the ST's will be just what I'm looking for. I'll be running the ST's with a Panny XR57 for now. We will build a new house later this year, and I plan to upgrade this when that is done. I'm going to try and get separates at that time, but still undecided at which route to take. Hopefully the Panny can handle the 4 ohm load until then. From what I've read it should be fine. Seems to be a few guys running Rockets with them that have a 4 ohm load, so I'm thinking it'll be okay as a temp receiver.

I can't wait to get these speakers.....how the hell am I supposed to sleep tonight???!!!
post #216 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Congrats, bigjp. I hope you enjoy the sound of the Song Tower's as much as I did.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #217 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Congrats, bigjp. I hope you enjoy the sound of the Song Tower's as much as I did.

I'd like to add a huge thank you to you Nuance. Your informative posts really helped me with my decision.
post #218 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjp View Post

I'd like to add a huge thank you to you Nuance. Your informative posts really helped me with my decision.

Thank you sir. That's what I'm here for.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #219 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Big JP - You'll definitely love the speakers and I'm sure that you'll be pleasantly surprised with how sensitive they are. I use a 50 watt Naim amp and trust me that is plenty. You're gonna love them.
post #220 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster! I just ordered a pair of STs and an SC in the standard maple. I can't wait to get them!

Thanks to funkmonkey and nuance for their "Speakerquest" and "Journey" threads. I had been planning to upgrade my TV. So I've been researching the AVS Forum for weeks trying to decide on which TV. Just for a break, I decided to look at the speaker threads earlier this week. And I found funkmonkey's Speakerquest thread. I was so interested that I read the entire thread over 2 days. Then I found nuance's thread. I was so excited that I decided to upgrade my speakers instead. I'll hold off on a new TV until another time. Besides, my TV is an LCD that is less than 2 years old. My L/R Polk speakers are 20 years old and my Polk center is 10 years old; definitely time for an upgrade.
post #221 of 9206 Old 03-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahorn View Post

Long time lurker, first time poster! I just ordered a pair of STs and an SC in the standard maple. I can't wait to get them!

Thanks to funkmonkey and nuance for their "Speakerquest" and "Journey" threads. I had been planning to upgrade my TV. So I've been researching the AVS Forum for weeks trying to decide on which TV. Just for a break, I decided to look at the speaker threads earlier this week. And I found funkmonkey's Speakerquest thread. I was so interested that I read the entire thread over 2 days. Then I found nuance's thread. I was so excited that I decided to upgrade my speakers instead. I'll hold off on a new TV until another time. Besides, my TV is an LCD that is less than 2 years old. My L/R Polk speakers are 20 years old and my Polk center is 10 years old; definitely time for an upgrade.

Welcome to the forum. I started on the forum with the video portion of my upgraditis but now I think audio might have been the wiser choice.

I just have to state that I am really jealous...all these posts about people ordering, receiving, experiencing Salk just makes me so anxious to get a pair! Maybe I can be like that guy on ebay and sell my life....or maybe I will just start with something simpler....
post #222 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I should be receiving my Songtowers any day now. Although I will do plenty of experimenting on my own I am just wondering if you current owners leave the grills on or take them off? Some speakers sound better with them off and I will make that determination myself but what do you all find the difference is, if any, with the grills off rather than on?

Also, I think Jim mentioned somewhere in this thread (or maybe it was at another forum) that his speakers really do not need much of a break-in period. Did you owners find the sound to smooth out over time as is the case with most speakers and headphones? How did that compare with the "out of the box" sound when you first fired them up?

shortspark
post #223 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've never experienced breakin of any speaker. I have broken them though.
post #224 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

"I am just wondering if you current owners leave the grills on or take them off?"

You got me curious, so I just shot a plot of my ST's with the grill on and off. Although the grill is quite minimalist as these things go, they do introduce a fair number of peaks and dips in the 5-8 kHz region. If you're interested in seeing the results, I can email them to you. (I don't know how to post that kind of stuff here.)
post #225 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

"I am just wondering if you current owners leave the grills on or take them off?"

You got me curious, so I just shot a plot of my ST's with the grill on and off. Although the grill is quite minimalist as these things go, they do introduce a fair number of peaks and dips in the 5-8 kHz region. If you're interested in seeing the results, I can email them to you. (I don't know how to post that kind of stuff here.)

Thanks for the offer Dennis but I was only curious. No matter what the plots show I will audition and experiment in various ways. I was just wondering what owners have found to be the sonic differences.

shortspark
post #226 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Based on my experience, I doubt that you will actually hear much difference. All of those diffraction effects tend to shift position off-axis, and the overall sound doesn't change that much. But you can't go wrong by listening without the grills.
post #227 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

So after reading all the glowing reviews I've decided to add Salk to my audition list. Based upon price and my inclination for a ribbon tweeter I'm very curious about the V3 and HT2. I know there are owner reviews spread around here and audiocircle but I think it would be very helpful to have a single link where potential owners can see where all available demo owners are located. I didn't see a frappr site so even though I'm not an owner I started one.

The link is below, it would be great if owners could add their location, Salk gear, and relevant components.

Salk Sound Owners Map

I'm not one to quote myself, well not often at least. But I want to top this frappr link. Hopefully more owners can add themselves, locations, Salk speakers, and relevant electronics. After today's audition I'm very eager to hear some Salks!
post #228 of 9206 Old 03-22-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahorn View Post

Very cool! I sincerely hope you enjoy the Song Tower's as much as I did. Please let us know what you think when you receive them.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godawgs5 View Post

I just have to state that I am really jealous...all these posts about people ordering, receiving, experiencing Salk just makes me so anxious to get a pair! Maybe I can be like that guy on ebay and sell my life....or maybe I will just start with something simpler....

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

If you are still interested (I'd love to see it), save the image to a known location, but be sure its not too big. Then, click the paper clip and it will open a window so you can attach the picture file. Click "browse" and navigate to where the file is and open it. Then click "upload" and make the post.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #229 of 9206 Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

I'm not one to quote myself, well not often at least. But I want to top this frappr link. Hopefully more owners can add themselves, locations, Salk speakers, and relevant electronics. After today's audition I'm very eager to hear some Salks!

I added myself but I when I look at others, most just have a location and no contact info. It won't be useful with out that, will it?
post #230 of 9206 Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareakirk View Post

I added myself but I when I look at others, most just have a location and no contact info. It won't be useful with out that, will it?

Nope that's why I reposted the link IMO frappr is the easiest way to see all the owners in one place. New and previous owners it would be great if you could take the extra step and fill out the "shout out" section. Adding your AVS name would be great as well so people wanting to demo can easily shoot you a PM.
post #231 of 9206 Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

"If you are still interested (I'd love to see it"

Nuance--I PM'd you about the pics.
post #232 of 9206 Old 03-23-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ Thank you sir.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #233 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

I should be receiving my Songtowers any day now. Although I will do plenty of experimenting on my own I am just wondering if you current owners leave the grills on or take them off? Some speakers sound better with them off and I will make that determination myself but what do you all find the difference is, if any, with the grills off rather than on?

Also, I think Jim mentioned somewhere in this thread (or maybe it was at another forum) that his speakers really do not need much of a break-in period. Did you owners find the sound to smooth out over time as is the case with most speakers and headphones? How did that compare with the "out of the box" sound when you first fired them up?

When I picked up my ST's at Jim's last year he'd rushed to get them done for me and the grilles weren't finished. When he shipped the grilles he emailed and advised me to leave them off for any critical listening ....
BTW, when I first auditioned them Jim told me they'd been 'broken in' for about 4 minutes. They sounded awesome (and still do). No break in needed!
post #234 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just placed a deposit down on a pair of SongTowers, a SongCenter, and SongSurrounds. I don't know yet what finish I'll want them in, but the English Sycamore looked very interesting and along the lines of what I'm looking for. I may go with one of the standard finishes as the pictures on Jim's website look great too! I don't have the house or furniture yet which is why I haven't decided on finish yet, but I have to say in my limited email communications with Jim he seems like an asset to our community! Highly recommended from that standpoint. The reviews others have posted speak for themselves.

-Chad
post #235 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Man, I have a feeling Jim is going to be VERY busy. I also ordered a pair of ST's just last Monday.
post #236 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I just placed a deposit down on a pair of SongTowers, a SongCenter, and SongSurrounds. I don't have the house or furniture yet which is why I haven't decided on finish yet
-Chad

The first homeless person to own Salk speakers
post #237 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

The first homeless person to own Salk speakers

Rofl I win! Now what is my prize?

Really excited about this purchase. I'll be powering them with a Denon AVR-5800 which should be awesome!
post #238 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM

I had the pleasure in listening to the SongTowers this past weekend and there are no words on this planet that can possibly describe how great these speakers sound. If anyone is one edge about ordering these speakers, I would strongly suggest ordering them ASAP.
Jim is great guy and the product that he crafts is amazing. I have looked at numerous pictures of his speakers and the different finishes of wood on the internet. This pictures on the interent don't even give you the satisfaction of how great these look until you see them in person or they arrive at your house. For those of you wondering if they will look ok; let me just say that you will be blown away when you get them. The sound speaks for itself!
My pair of ST's are ordered and I cannot wait until I have them.
post #239 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Does anyone have or has anyone heard the SongSurrounds and care to comment? From postings by Jim and Dennis, it looks like they will sound similar to the ST's except less bass. Correct?

Quote:

I just placed a deposit down on a pair of SongTowers, a SongCenter, and SongSurrounds. I don't know yet what finish I'll want them in, but the English Sycamore looked very interesting and along the lines of what I'm looking for. I may go with one of the standard finishes as the pictures on Jim's website look great too! I don't have the house or furniture yet which is why I haven't decided on finish yet, but I have to say in my limited email communications with Jim he seems like an asset to our community! Highly recommended from that standpoint. The reviews others have posted speak for themselves.

-Chad

Congrats thirdeye11. I really like the look of 95bcwh's sycamore HT3's on page 1. I decided to stick with a standard finish and apply the savings toward a new receiver. I read you are using a Denon 5800. I currently have a Denon 3300 but am thinking about getting the 3808 so that I have an HDMI-enabled receiver.
post #240 of 9206 Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Rofl I win! Now what is my prize?

A brand-spanking-new reinforced double-walled cardboard box to move into. But that's not all. You'll also be relocated to the alley of the new Lion's Court Housing Project. Congrats!!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page